S

server

I wonder if I get an rs232-usb connector, and port the .SYS terminal
driver (I recoded in assembler but in 1985), I should be able to get a razpie
to run. Question how I would network if it is MSDOS. 1985-95 my HP2621a had
an 80186 Ampro 2210 MSDOS-generic computer on it with 5.25\" disks and 10MB
hard dirve. (Should still work.) Worked quite well, still own it. The glue
holding the monitor shield has corrupted, looking like mildew, but I am told
all I have to do is scrape it off. Just a stupid nostalgia ego thing.

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}---

On Friday, February 24, 2023 at 9:12:09 AM UTC-5, vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
I wonder if I get an rs232-usb connector, and port the .SYS terminal
driver (I recoded in assembler but in 1985), I should be able to get a razpie
to run. Question how I would network if it is MSDOS. 1985-95 my HP2621a had
an 80186 Ampro 2210 MSDOS-generic computer on it with 5.25\" disks and 10MB
hard dirve. (Should still work.) Worked quite well, still own it. The glue
holding the monitor shield has corrupted, looking like mildew, but I am told
all I have to do is scrape it off. Just a stupid nostalgia ego thing.

--

The \'mildew\' you are referring to is more likely to be \'CRT Cataracts\' - a condition where the safety glass (screen) that is bonded/laminated to the CRT begins to degrade resulting in white spots that are often mistaken for mildew. A fairly common problem that affects CRTs mfg in the 60s through 80\'s.

One way to clean up the face of the CRT is to remove the safety glass. There are various methods suggested that include using a thin wire placed between the CRT face and the safety glass, and using a sawing motion move over the entire CRT face, effectively cutting off the safety glass. Variations of this approach include heating the safety glass with a heat gun, heating the wire, etc. Google CRT cataracts and you will probably find lots of ways to remove the glass. Some are better than others. It is often difficult to remove the remaining glue on the CRT face.

Not clear what you are attempting to do with the RPi and serial line. Do you want to replace the MSDOS PC with a RPi and have it talk on a TCP/IP network? If you just want to move bits around, you may want to look at SLIP (serial line interface protocol).

In <651c793c-2bf2-4e79-8801-540e2c72d6e2n@googlegroups.com> by three_jeeps <jjhudak@gmail.com> on Fri, 24 Feb 2023 12:12:19 we perused:
*+-On Friday, February 24, 2023 at 9:12:09???AM UTC-5, vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
*+-> I wonder if I get an rs232-usb connector, and port the .SYS terminal
*+-> driver (I recoded in assembler but in 1985), I should be able to get a razpie
*+-> to run. Question how I would network if it is MSDOS. 1985-95 my HP2621a had
*+-> an 80186 Ampro 2210 MSDOS-generic computer on it with 5.25\" disks and 10MB
*+-> hard dirve. (Should still work.) Worked quite well, still own it. The glue
*+-> holding the monitor shield has corrupted, looking like mildew, but I am told
*+-> all I have to do is scrape it off. Just a stupid nostalgia ego thing.
*+->
*+->
*+->
*+-> --
*+-> Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
*+-> ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}---

*+-The \'mildew\' you are referring to is more likely to be \'CRT Cataracts\' - a condition where the safety glass (screen) that is bonded/laminated to the CRT begins to degrade resulting in white spots that are often mistaken for mildew. A fairly common problem that affects CRTs mfg in the 60s through 80\'s.

*+-One way to clean up the face of the CRT is to remove the safety glass. There are various methods suggested that include using a thin wire placed between the CRT face and the safety glass, and using a sawing motion move over the entire CRT face, effectively cutting off the safety glass. Variations of this approach include heating the safety glass with a heat gun, heating the wire, etc. Google CRT cataracts and you will probably find lots of ways to remove the glass. Some are better than others. It is often difficult to remove the remaining glue on the CRT face.

Yes, exactly.

*+-Not clear what you are attempting to do with the RPi and serial line. Do you want to replace the MSDOS PC with a RPi and have it talk on a TCP/IP network? If you just want to move bits around, you may want to look at SLIP (serial line interface protocol).

Yes, as well. I had used dosPPP on MS DOS 6.22, would it work on DOS 3?

I don\'t mind keeping the Ampro, it can dial out and print.
I just need to fix the parallel printer ribbon cable.

But I was considering connecting to a home network. (I am moving and dreaming
of all these projects insemi-retirement.)

Thanks for being someoen who knew exactly what I was referring to.
THat alone lifted my spirits.

--

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back