Does anyone know how badly designed the conical LG washer/dryer drain filter unit is?...

• Thread starter Amanda Riphnykhazova
  • Start date
On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 1:14:09 PM UTC-4, pf...@aol.com wrote:
> Lint traps

I didn\'t know they made those.

In 12 years doing washes for a family of four we\'ve never had the washer drain plug up though. Perhaps because it\'s one of those old Maytags that use a lot of water it dilutes the lint enough to flow through.

On 6/17/20 12:14 PM, pfjw@aol.com wrote:
As I keep repeating, this site is dedicated to finding
out how to do things the hardest possible way, seeking
the least satisfactory results, taking the most possible
time:

And....Seeing how much of somebody else\'s time you can
waste because you won\'t spend a few minutes of your own
time to look something up.

--
\"I am a river to my people.\"
Jeff-1.0
WA6FWi
http:foxsmercantile.com

On 6/17/20 12:14 PM, pfjw@aol.com wrote:
As I keep repeating, this site is dedicated to finding
out how to do things the hardest possible way, seeking
the least satisfactory results, taking the most possible
time:

And....Seeing how much of somebody else\'s time you can
waste because you won\'t spend a few minutes of your own
time to look something up.

--
Jeff-1.0
WA6FWi

pfjw@aol.com <peterwieck33@gmail.com> wrote:
Warning: This is a bit of a rant....

I would not accuse you of being a Luddite, but I do question your understanding of basic care-and-feeding of appliances. You admit to doing tear-down maintenance of a microwave oven (surely not in any operations manual), yet will not admit to the most basic understanding of the car-and-feeding of other, larger appliances.

Sure, our range has as much computing power as the Space Shuttle ((but so did the Commodore VIC20), and as such probably should be on a circuit protected by a surge-suppressor (and it is). It is now 12 years old and doing fine. The oven gets used very nearly every day, so it does need cleaning (maintenance), and every so often, beyond just the self-clean feature - and that is not in any manual either.

As to the clothes washer - cleaning the sump quarterly is no big deal, is it? If the alternative is replacing the pump, probably annually (with heavy use)? Now:

a) The typical old-style top-loader used between 35 and 45 gallons of water per full load. The average washer is used 400 times per year (family of four(4)). Splitting the difference, that is 16,000 gallons of water per year. That is 44 gallons per day, just for washing clothes. Which is, typically, also heated at least in part.
b) The typical old-style top-loader leaves between one and two gallons of water behind in a full load. Which must be dried, either mechanically or on a clothes line. How many here use a clothes line? For everything?
c) Our LG uses five (5) gallons of water on the heavy-duty cycle, and seven (7) if we use a pre-rinse (never needed to, at least so far). Giving it a 8:1 advantage over the top-loader. and a 3:1 advantage over even the most efficient modern top-loader. Making that occasional vinegar douche not so horrible - well, we use chlorine bleach often enough that the vinegar is rarely needed.

At our summer house, where we both make and dispose of our water on-site, and we are on a Class A trout-stream, water consumption is a huge factor. Just below functionality, but above first-cost and even maintenance - although so far, that has been minimal. We are also exceedingly careful of the materials we use such as soaps and detergents.

(Definition of Class A Waters:
Streams that support a population of naturally produced trout of sufficient size and abundance to support a long-term and rewarding sport fishery.
Management:
Natural reproduction, wild populations with no stocking)

And learning what works over the last 30 years upstate has translated into choices we make \"at home\" to keep to a more gentle footprint - OK, not the \"American Way\" but so what?

It is a matter of choices made. But it does gripe me when individuals
blame the object rather than the caretaker of that object for its
failure after years of negligence.

I live in Chicago. We have too much fresh water (yeah, this is really a
problem, lake michigan has record high water levels and the bike paths is
getting splashed with water). I\'m going to run the biggest, oldest most
water using washing machine I can get my hands on. They clean better too,
there\'s more space in the drum, you don\'t get everything all knotted up
trying to save the last drops of the cheapest more infinite resource we
have in the great lakes. LG appliances will be long shut down, sold,
divested or whatever is hot long before the parts supply for even a
kenmore washer dries up.

None of those asian appliances brands are meant to be serviced. They are
meant to be thrown away, like a cell phone.

Tim R <timothy42b@aol.com> wrote:
On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 1:14:09 PM UTC-4, pf...@aol.com wrote:
Lint traps

I didn\'t know they made those.

In 12 years doing washes for a family of four we\'ve never had the washer drain plug up though. Perhaps because it\'s one of those old Maytags that use a lot of water it dilutes the lint enough to flow through.

Bet it leaves you with nice clean clothes too. Those eco-nonsense side
loaders taht use 3 table spoons of water leave so much crud that what\'s
left instantly rots, stinking the machine up.

That\'s not a problem with a properly designed top loaded that doesn\'t need
goofy bubble free detergent and actually washes the soil from the laundry
way, instead of just flopping the clothing around in it for a while.

Do you not comprehend that all you are doing is relocating that water from the fresh water system to the waste-water system? And if you are on municipal water and municipal sewer, you are paying handsomely for that privilege.

I expect that you still use high-phosphate detergent as well. It *does* get things nice and clean, takes lots of water to do it, but nice and clean!

(Not to mention algae blooms. https://www.greatlakesnow.org/algal-blooms/)

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 7:36:57 AM UTC-4, pf...@aol.com wrote:
I expect that you still use high-phosphate detergent as well. It *does* get things nice and clean, takes lots of water to do it, but nice and clean!
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Actually if you use lots of water you need hardly any soap. Perhaps none.

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 7:36:57 AM UTC-4, pf...@aol.com wrote:
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Actually if you use lots of water you need hardly any soap. Perhaps none.

This is OT but the lint problem is not on the washer side, the filter works fine or the drain pipes seem to be able to handle it.

The lint problem is on the dryer side, which is where lint builds up in every available physical space or crevasse in the machine. Obviously dryer lint doesn\'t build up in the drain line area!

This is OT but the lint problem is not on the washer side, the filter works fine or the drain pipes seem to be able to handle it.

The lint problem is on the dryer side, which is where lint builds up in every available physical space or crevasse in the machine. Obviously dryer lint doesn\'t build up in the drain line area!

We keep a very vintage electric Maytag at the summer house. I recently had occasion to replace the motor and belt - and you are right - the lint removed from inside the machine was enough to fill a reasonably sized pillow. At home, we have a gas-fired LG, after 12 years, I did the rollers (front and back) belt and tension roller. Far less lint than the Maytag, but more concentrated anywhere there was a bend or corner in the airway. Overall, the timing was about the same as I replaced the rollers in the Maytag about 10 years ago, but the Maytag sees about 15% of the use of the LG.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

We keep a very vintage electric Maytag at the summer house. I recently had occasion to replace the motor and belt - and you are right - the lint removed from inside the machine was enough to fill a reasonably sized pillow. At home, we have a gas-fired LG, after 12 years, I did the rollers (front and back) belt and tension roller. Far less lint than the Maytag, but more concentrated anywhere there was a bend or corner in the airway. Overall, the timing was about the same as I replaced the rollers in the Maytag about 10 years ago, but the Maytag sees about 15% of the use of the LG.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Not to be snarky, but you do not wallow much in grease, do you? No detergent under those conditions just spreads a very fine coating of grease on everything. True, though, there *is* less on the clothes thereby.

I thought we had gotten away from pounding clothes with rocks streamside....

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Not to be snarky, but you do not wallow much in grease, do you? No detergent under those conditions just spreads a very fine coating of grease on everything. True, though, there *is* less on the clothes thereby.

I thought we had gotten away from pounding clothes with rocks streamside....

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

On 6/18/20 9:55 AM, pfjw@aol.com wrote:
> I thought we had gotten away from pounding clothes with rocks streamside....

Arthur Clarke was right.
\"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.\"

Apparently, this includes washing machines for some folks.

--
Jeff-1.0
WA6FWi

On 6/18/20 9:55 AM, pfjw@aol.com wrote:
> I thought we had gotten away from pounding clothes with rocks streamside....

Arthur Clarke was right.
\"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.\"

Apparently, this includes washing machines for some folks.

--
Jeff-1.0
WA6FWi

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 10:55:12 AM UTC-4, pf...@aol.com wrote:

I thought we had gotten away from pounding clothes with rocks streamside.....

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

No, you\'re quite right, if our job or hobby involves heavily soiled clothes we need the right amount of soap. Perhaps even in a climate where we sweat a lot.

But for the average person with an indoor sedentary job, student, etc., who changes clothes on a daily basis, the clothes never get very soiled.

Some years back there were these magic laundry balls, \"bio ceramic,\" that were supposed to work without soap. When they were tested, they worked. So that lab also tried washing without them, and that worked too. There is probably enough soap residue on clothes to get several washes.

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 10:55:12 AM UTC-4, pf...@aol.com wrote:

I thought we had gotten away from pounding clothes with rocks streamside.....

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

No, you\'re quite right, if our job or hobby involves heavily soiled clothes we need the right amount of soap. Perhaps even in a climate where we sweat a lot.

But for the average person with an indoor sedentary job, student, etc., who changes clothes on a daily basis, the clothes never get very soiled.

Some years back there were these magic laundry balls, \"bio ceramic,\" that were supposed to work without soap. When they were tested, they worked. So that lab also tried washing without them, and that worked too. There is probably enough soap residue on clothes to get several washes.

Arthur C. Clarke\'s three laws of forecasting:

1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

All three \"laws\" fit this venue nicely.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Arthur C. Clarke\'s three laws of forecasting:

1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

All three \"laws\" fit this venue nicely.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back