1988 Fender Princeton Chorus amp...

S

server

Hello, I have a 1988 Fender Princeton Chorus amp, I believe this was the first year model.

I have a faint chorus sound/FX in both the rate & the depth controls.

I replaced the MN 3007 & MN 3001 chips today, but still no real change. The chorus FX is there, but really faint.

Both speakers are working, both sides of the amp seem to be working and the amp is totally stock. Nobody
has changed anything except for what I did today.

Can you help me ? Maybe tell me what else to change ?

I can’t read a schematic at all, so please if you could be so kind, please explain where to find the parts that
you might suggest that I try changing.

Stay safe, Charles

NOTE: I live at least 200 miles from the nearest repair station so I\'d really like to fix this problem myself with your help of course :)

On 7/16/2020 11:23 AM, cvalona09@gmail.com wrote:
Hello, I have a 1988 Fender Princeton Chorus amp, I believe this was the first year model.

I replaced the MN 3007 & MN 3001 chips today, but still no real change. The chorus FX is there, but really faint.

Both speakers are working, both sides of the amp seem to be working and the amp is totally stock. Nobody

I can’t read a schematic at all, so please if you could be so kind, please explain where to find the parts that

Stay safe, Charles

NOTE: I live at least 200 miles from the nearest repair station so I\'d really like to fix this problem myself with your help of course :)
Can you post a link to the schematic? This will help others help
you even if you can\'t read it yourself. The exact model number
and a photo will also be helpful.

None of the Princeton models that I found have the chips you describe. Can you post the exact model from the plate? The only Princeton Chorus model I found has DSP in the model name as well.

I have some hardcopy schematics around that I will check as well, but any additional info you can provide will help.

Dan

On 7/16/2020 5:35 PM, abrsvc wrote:
None of the Princeton models that I found have the chips you describe. Can you post the exact model from the plate? The only Princeton Chorus model I found has DSP in the model name as well.
Same here. That\'s why I asked the OP to provide more details. I
couldn\'t find any model using a BBD.

Without the schematic, based upon the symptoms described:

1) The \"delay\" portion is working as expected
2) The delayed signal amplitude is smaller than expected. This would suggest that there is likely an op-amp down stream that is not working correctly or at all. Look for a TC072 or perhaps a 4558 IC that is faulty post the MN chips.

Dan

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 06:45:11 -0700, abrsvc wrote:

Without the schematic, based upon the symptoms described:

1) The \"delay\" portion is working as expected 2) The delayed signal
amplitude is smaller than expected. This would suggest that there is
likely an op-amp down stream that is not working correctly or at all.
Look for a TC072 or perhaps a 4558 IC that is faulty post the MN chips.

Dan

Or high ESR coupling cap?

I have some hardcopy schematics around that I will check as well, but any additional info you can provide will help.

Dan

abrsvc wrote:

=============
None of the Princeton models that I found have the chips you describe.

----------------------------

See:

http://www.kobra.hr/Schematics/Chorus/Fender%20Princeton%20%20Stereo%20Chorus.jpg

The repair is a job for an experienced amp tech with the usual test gear on hand - scope, audio gen etc.

..... Phil

abrsvc wrote:

=============

See:

http://www.kobra.hr/Schematics/Chorus/Fender%20Princeton%20%20Stereo%20Chorus.jpg

The repair is a job for an experienced amp tech with the usual test gear on hand - scope, audio gen etc.

..... Phil

On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 10:53:29 PM UTC-7, cval...@gmail.com wrote:

Stay safe, Charles

Stay safe, Charles

Thanks for your help everyone, however, the IC\'s MN 3101 and MN 3007 are stock parts that came out of my completely stock virgin 1988 Solid State Fender Princeton Chorus amp. Not sure why you\'re not seeing them ?

Stay safe, Charles

Thanks for your help everyone, however, the IC\'s MN 3101 and MN 3007 are stock parts that came out of my completely stock virgin 1988 Solid State Fender Princeton Chorus amp. Not sure why you\'re not seeing them ?

Stay safe, Charles

Stay safe, Charles

On Thursday, July 16, 2020 at 5:05:30 AM UTC-7, abrsvc wrote:

Dan

Thanks Dan,

My 1988 Fender Princeton Chorus Model PR82 Made In USA is completely stock, a totally virgin amp. The IC\'s MN 3101 and MN 3007 are stock parts that came out of this amp. I replaced them with new ones yesterday, but no change, the Chorus is still having problems. The pilot light comes on, and both the Rate & Depth controls seem to be working, but the FX is very very weak.

BTW...this is not a Princeton that uses DSP...the amps that featured DSp effects came after the PR82 models and don\'t sound near as good.

Stay Safe, Charles

On Thursday, July 16, 2020 at 2:52:19 PM UTC-7, Phil Allison wrote:
abrsvc wrote:

=============

See:

.... Phil

Stay safe, Charles

Stay safe, Charles

My 1988 Fender Princeton Chorus Model PR82 Made In USA is completely stock, a totally virgin amp. The IC\'s MN 3101 and MN 3007 are stock parts that came out of this amp. I replaced them with new ones yesterday, but no change, the Chorus is still having problems. The pilot light comes on, and both the Rate & Depth controls seem to be working, but the FX is very very weak.

BTW...this is not a Princeton that uses DSP...the amps that featured DSp effects came after the PR82 models and don\'t sound near as good.

Stay Safe, Charles

On Thursday, July 16, 2020 at 5:05:30 AM UTC-7, abrsvc wrote:

Dan

Thanks Dan,

Stay Safe, Charles

First of all Phil is probably right. But then if you want to try things on your own...

The chips you mentioned are probably the clock and BBD. They really should not affect the level of sound.

Turn the chorus off and see if you are getting the same volume out of each speaker.

If the sound is equal then you need to go right after the BBD circuit. If not it could be in the amp on that side anywhere.

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back