You won’t be confused about electric vehicle charg ing after reading this...

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 3:13:22 PM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:
On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 12:06:23 PM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:
On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 2:36:52 PM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:
On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 11:09:04 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:
On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 1:49:08 PM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:
On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 10:44:33 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:
On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 1:27:12 PM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:
On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 10:23:48 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:
On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 1:02:35 PM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:
On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 9:46:44 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:
On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 9:27:02 AM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:
I am confused. Should the car be turned upside down to charge with CCS? Or at least horizontally with center of gravity of the plug tilted to the signal end? Otherwise, weight of the plug tends to pull the signal pins off.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/07/the-ars-technica-guide-to-electric-vehicle-charging/

Seriously, is CCS CP using the LIN physical layer, or a similar version of it? Any CCS experts here?
Ed, you are doing your usual thing of expecting people to read your post as well as your mind. I don\'t see LIN mentioned in the article you link at all.
Sorry, it\'s two different issues.

LIN bus is simplified CAN. 12V PLC pulled-up with 1K. Sound like it should work with the CCS Control Pilot (CP) physical layer. I am looking to buy or build the protocol analyser.
The body of the connector maintains a physical alignment. The pins are supported by the body and so are aligned with the mating pins. This is connectors 101, and is how nearly all connectors work.
Many CCS drivers can tell you that it should be up-side down. It does not connect reliable sometime. Perhaps they should plug in and hold the plug for an hour while charging.
How would upside down make it work better? The catch is on the top. The weight of the cable pulls down, but the lever arm presses the connector more tightly, not apart. Look at the mechanics.
Upside down would push the signal pins in, instead of pulling out. Or just mount the socket horizontally as in my case.
You aren\'t explaining anything, just making an unsupported statement. The latch is at the top. It can\'t be pulled out at the top by the weight of the cable. But the rest of the connector can be pushed in with the latch as a pivot point. However, the body of the connector will prevent very much movement. I\'m not seeing what you are talking about. In fact, an upside down connector would tend to pull the pins out, rather than push them in, again, the latch is the pivot point as much as it can move.
I haven\'t really use CCS, just relaying other CCS drivers\' complaint. Unlike J1772, the top latch might not be there for CCS.
It\'s the same connector. Look at a picture. Heck, look at the picture in your link!
Some J-plugs don\'t have the top latch. Some are disabled/broken. I don\'t know if all CCS plugs have the latch. I will check on my next long distance trip. It\'s not a big deal for J-plug, but big deal for CCS.
If your connector is broken, I would not expect it to work well. Duh!
It\'s still work with the latch broken, and it\'s the cases with many of them.

But you are complaining about how it doesn\'t work properly. Pick one.

The Tesla connector is not without flaws. The locking mechanism can fail in a way the cable can not be removed without having to go through the truck to reach a manual release.
Vehicle locking is a different issue than the handle locking.

???

This seems to me as much ado about nothing.
It\'s just the fact of (real) life.

It\'s a broken connector. If the connector is broken, fix it and stop whining.

--

Rick C.

-+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
-+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 12:16:17 PM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:
I am confused. Should the car be turned upside down to charge with CCS? Or at least horizontally with center of gravity of the plug tilted to the signal end? Otherwise, weight of the plug tends to pull the signal pins off.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/07/the-ars-technica-guide-to-electric-vehicle-charging/

Seriously, is CCS CP using the LIN physical layer, or a similar version of it? Any CCS experts here?
Ed, you are doing your usual thing of expecting people to read your post as well as your mind. I don\'t see LIN mentioned in the article you link at all.

LIN bus is simplified CAN. 12V PLC pulled-up with 1K. Sound like it should work with the CCS Control Pilot (CP) physical layer. I am looking to buy or build the protocol analyser.
The body of the connector maintains a physical alignment. The pins are supported by the body and so are aligned with the mating pins. This is connectors 101, and is how nearly all connectors work.
Many CCS drivers can tell you that it should be up-side down. It does not connect reliable sometime. Perhaps they should plug in and hold the plug for an hour while charging.
How would upside down make it work better? The catch is on the top. The weight of the cable pulls down, but the lever arm presses the connector more tightly, not apart. Look at the mechanics.
Upside down would push the signal pins in, instead of pulling out. Or just mount the socket horizontally as in my case.
You aren\'t explaining anything, just making an unsupported statement. The latch is at the top. It can\'t be pulled out at the top by the weight of the cable. But the rest of the connector can be pushed in with the latch as a pivot point. However, the body of the connector will prevent very much movement. I\'m not seeing what you are talking about. In fact, an upside down connector would tend to pull the pins out, rather than push them in, again, the latch is the pivot point as much as it can move.
I haven\'t really use CCS, just relaying other CCS drivers\' complaint. Unlike J1772, the top latch might not be there for CCS.
It\'s the same connector. Look at a picture. Heck, look at the picture in your link!
Some J-plugs don\'t have the top latch. Some are disabled/broken. I don\'t know if all CCS plugs have the latch. I will check on my next long distance trip. It\'s not a big deal for J-plug, but big deal for CCS.
The Tesla connector is not without flaws. The locking mechanism can fail in a way the cable can not be removed without having to go through the truck to reach a manual release.
???

Some station owners intentionally disable the latch, because too many Tesla just lock the connector after finishing charging. Other vehicles (like Leaf and Bolt) don\'t lock the connector.

On Thursday, 28 July 2022 at 21:20:47 UTC+2, Ed Lee wrote:

???
Some station owners intentionally disable the latch, because too many Tesla just lock the connector after finishing charging. Other vehicles (like Leaf and Bolt) don\'t lock the connector.
could you give links to images of corrupt chargers ?
Never promote
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/07/the-ars-technica-gu....

stealing our cookies

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 2:25:26 PM UTC-7, a a wrote:
On Thursday, 28 July 2022 at 21:20:47 UTC+2, Ed Lee wrote:

LIN bus is simplified CAN. 12V PLC pulled-up with 1K. Sound like it should work with the CCS Control Pilot (CP) physical layer.. I am looking to buy or build the protocol analyser.
Some J-plugs don\'t have the top latch. Some are disabled/broken.. I don\'t know if all CCS plugs have the latch. I will check on my next long distance trip. It\'s not a big deal for J-plug, but big deal for CCS.
???
could you give links to images of corrupt chargers ?

Bad J1772: Bakersfield Amtrak.
The #3 (right to left) mentioned in comment is my #2 (left to right). Avoid #1 (left most) at all cost.
https://www.plugshare.com/location/168953

Bad CCS: Boron Rest Area Westbound.
A dead (idiot light) Ioniq towed by AAA.
https://www.plugshare.com/location/305459

Another dead Bolt somewhere on plugshare. Don\'t remember where.

On Thursday, 28 July 2022 at 06:27:02 UTC-7, Ed Lee wrote:

CCS uses PLC (Power Line Communications) over the Pilot signal to establish a bidirectional link between the car and the charger. It is not LIN.

The data is modulated onto a carrier that is transmitted on top of any lower frequency signals already present on the wire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

kw

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 3:20:47 PM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:

???

Tesla can\'t lock the J1772 connector. It doesn\'t connect to the car, it connects to the adapter which does lock to the car.

Like I said, you are complaining about a broken connector. Get it fixed. You also have no way of knowing why a connector is broken. It\'s better not to make stuff up.

--

Rick C.

-++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
-++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Saturday, 30 July 2022 at 06:18:51 UTC+2, Ricky wrote:

LIN bus is simplified CAN. 12V PLC pulled-up with 1K. Sound like it should work with the CCS Control Pilot (CP) physical layer.. I am looking to buy or build the protocol analyser.
Some J-plugs don\'t have the top latch. Some are disabled/broken.. I don\'t know if all CCS plugs have the latch. I will check on my next long distance trip. It\'s not a big deal for J-plug, but big deal for CCS.
???
Tesla can\'t lock the J1772 connector. It doesn\'t connect to the car, it connects to the adapter which does lock to the car.

Like I said, you are complaining about a broken connector. Get it fixed. You also have no way of knowing why a connector is broken. It\'s better not to make stuff up.

--

Rick C.

-++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
-++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Tesla fired 230-man AI Autopilot team on poor performance and life, accident risks

On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 9:18:51 PM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:

???

Many INCONSIDERATE Tesla drivers use a locking ring ($10 on ebay) to lock the adapter and connector. Perhaps some other angry driver broke the latch to avoid this.

From memory, i don\'t think many CCS plugs have the locking latch. Which would make the huge plug huger (or bigger).

On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 6:07:24 PM UTC-7, ke...@kjwdesigns.com wrote:
On Thursday, 28 July 2022 at 06:27:02 UTC-7, Ed Lee wrote:
I am confused. Should the car be turned upside down to charge with CCS? Or at least horizontally with center of gravity of the plug tilted to the signal end? Otherwise, weight of the plug tends to pull the signal pins off..

CCS uses PLC (Power Line Communications) over the Pilot signal to establish a bidirectional link between the car and the charger. It is not LIN.

The data is modulated onto a carrier that is transmitted on top of any lower frequency signals already present on the wire.

Yes, CCS is probably overkill for me.

I will probably use a simple protocol like LIN (Local Interconnecting Network) to manage my external batteries and chargers. Assuming that the current draw is proportional to the battery capacity, vehicle A (13-8) would draw around 40% of the peak current. Vehicle B (10-8-4) would draw 60% if both external batteries are enabled.

I have a 30A circuit breaker on the external link. So far, it\'s holding up.. But a 80 kw motor could draw 200A peak current.

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 9:06:19 AM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:

If your connector is broken, I would not expect it to work well.. Duh!
???
Many INCONSIDERATE Tesla drivers use a locking ring ($10 on ebay) to lock the adapter and connector. Perhaps some other angry driver broke the latch to avoid this.

Vandalism by any other name still leaves you with a broken connector. Get it fixed.

> From memory, i don\'t think many CCS plugs have the locking latch. Which would make the huge plug huger (or bigger).

You are still the same loon you have always been. Happy to post unconfirmed information.

Whatever. As usual your posts are not worth reading.

--

Rick C.

+-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 8:29:27 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:

The body of the connector maintains a physical alignment. The pins are supported by the body and so are aligned with the mating pins. This is connectors 101, and is how nearly all connectors work..
???
Vandalism by any other name still leaves you with a broken connector. Get it fixed.

It\'s not my charger/plug. How can i fix it?

From memory, i don\'t think many CCS plugs have the locking latch. Which would make the huge plug huger (or bigger).
You are still the same loon you have always been. Happy to post unconfirmed information.

Easy enough to confirm it. I\'ll do it next week.

This is a plug without top latch:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/phoenix-contact/1106633

> Whatever. As usual your posts are not worth reading.

Fine. You don\'t have to read them.

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 11:34:57 AM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:

Some J-plugs don\'t have the top latch. Some are disabled/broken. I don\'t know if all CCS plugs have the latch. I will check on my next long distance trip. It\'s not a big deal for J-plug, but big deal for CCS..
???

I said \"get it fixed\". If you don\'t understand that, there\'s no hope for you.

404 error

That is the best advice you\'ve ever given.

--

Rick C.

+-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 9:05:59 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:

You aren\'t explaining anything, just making an unsupported statement. The latch is at the top. It can\'t be pulled out at the top by the weight of the cable. But the rest of the connector can be pushed in with the latch as a pivot point. However, the body of the connector will prevent very much movement. I\'m not seeing what you are talking about. In fact, an upside down connector would tend to pull the pins out, rather than push them in, again, the latch is the pivot point as much as it can move..
???
I said \"get it fixed\". If you don\'t understand that, there\'s no hope for you.

If you mean fixing the battery, then i did. I now have 70 to 80 miles with 13+8 kwhr, 100 miles with 13+8+8.

404 error

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/phoenix-contact/1106633/15211593

Plenty of other images with Google search.

Yes, stop read my posts and reply. You are annoying other readers.

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 12:17:24 PM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:

I haven\'t really use CCS, just relaying other CCS drivers\' complaint. Unlike J1772, the top latch might not be there for CCS..
???
If you mean fixing the battery, then i did. I now have 70 to 80 miles with 13+8 kwhr, 100 miles with 13+8+8.

404 error

Yes, you might want to contact Phoenix Contact and find out what\'s up with that.

Plenty of other images with Google search.
Yes, stop read my posts and reply. You are annoying other readers.

Yes, I am warning other readers. You are right.

--

Rick C.

++- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
++- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 9:25:47 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:

Upside down would push the signal pins in, instead of pulling out. Or just mount the socket horizontally as in my case..
???

404 error
Yes, you might want to contact Phoenix Contact and find out what\'s up with that.

And many other plug and car manufacturers that i have no idea with. Most likely, the EV just lock the power pins, not the signal pins.

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 12:29:39 PM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:

???

404 error
And many other plug and car manufacturers that i have no idea with. Most likely, the EV just lock the power pins, not the signal pins.

I have no idea what you are talking about \"locking pins\". Either the connector is locked, or nothing is locked.

I just realized why the connector has the button. That informs the system the user is about to detach the connector, so the power can be interrupted. I know on the J1772 connector it is required. I can\'t imagine it is not required on the CCS1 connector.

So don\'t use a charger with a broken connector. It can be dangerous.

--

Rick C.

+++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 10:39:09 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:
On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 12:29:39 PM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:

???

404 error
I have no idea what you are talking about \"locking pins\". Either the connector is locked, or nothing is locked.

The locking square holes on side of the connector. Most vehicle lock the pair of holes next to the power pins.
I just realized why the connector has the button. That informs the system the user is about to detach the connector, so the
power can be interrupted. I know on the J1772 connector it is required. I can\'t imagine it is not required on the CCS1 connector.

CCS locking is controlled by the charger and EV not by the user. I think you know less about CCS than me, which is low already.

> So don\'t use a charger with a broken connector. It can be dangerous.

Yes it is. All poorly designed CCS are dangerous. All it take is one bad CCS to crash the EV. Not a big deal for me, but for people without the tools on hand. It would need a tow to the shop.

On Saturday, 30 July 2022 at 10:45:33 UTC-7, Ed Lee wrote:
I just realized why the connector has the button. That informs the system the user is about to detach the connector, so the
power can be interrupted. I know on the J1772 connector it is required. I can\'t imagine it is not required on the CCS1 connector.
CCS locking is controlled by the charger and EV not by the user. I think you know less about CCS than me, which is low already.
So don\'t use a charger with a broken connector. It can be dangerous.
Yes it is. All poorly designed CCS are dangerous. All it take is one bad CCS to crash the EV. Not a big deal for me, but for people without the tools on hand. It would need a tow to the shop.

The Proximity Pilot (PP) signal signals the EV that the user has pressed the latch release button.

The EV can then disable charging so there is no current flowing when the plug is pulled and release the plug latch if present.

In a normal cable the EVSE/DC charger does not get the proximity pilot signal so doesn\'t know whether the button has been pressed.

kw

On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 4:00:58 AM UTC+10, John Larkin wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:47:13 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee
edward....@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 10:43:34 AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 06:26:58 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee

If cars had a USB C connector for charging things would be simpler.

Yes, 12V USB C would work.
Your article is interesting.

Given an infinitely long 120v extension cord, an ecar might travel at
2 to 4 MPH forever.

Level 2 can manage 10 to 20 MPH forever, always connected.

I gassed up this morning, as I have to do about every 2 weeks. About
400 KWH equivalent in maybe 3 minutes. A gas pump delivers roughly 20
megawatts equivalent.

Cars spend 95% of their time parked. Two to fours miles per hour forever translates to 40 to 80 MPH while they aren\'t parked, and that wimpy 120V extension cord must have a very limited current capacity. Put a heavy duty socket next to where the e-car is normally parked and you should be able to do better, but John Larkin doesn\'t know enough about electric wiring to be aware of this.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 7:28:29 PM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 4:00:58 AM UTC+10, John Larkin wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:47:13 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 10:43:34 AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 06:26:58 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee

If cars had a USB C connector for charging things would be simpler.

Yes, 12V USB C would work.
Your article is interesting.

Given an infinitely long 120v extension cord, an ecar might travel at
2 to 4 MPH forever.

Level 2 can manage 10 to 20 MPH forever, always connected.

I gassed up this morning, as I have to do about every 2 weeks. About
400 KWH equivalent in maybe 3 minutes. A gas pump delivers roughly 20
megawatts equivalent.

Not everybody can install a gas pump at home. Everybody got 120V outlet at home.

> Cars spend 95% of their time parked. Two to fours miles per hour forever translates to 40 to 80 MPH while they aren\'t parked, and that wimpy 120V extension cord must have a very limited current capacity. Put a heavy duty socket next to where the e-car is normally parked and you should be able to do better, but John Larkin doesn\'t know enough about electric wiring to be aware of this.

120V 15A is around 1.8kw. Get 5.4 miles per hour even for my lowly Leaf.

But i park my car mostly in the street, sometimes moving it once a week for street cleaning. So, sometimes i drive a few miles per week and sometimes hundred miles a day.

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back