You won’t be confused about electric vehicle charg ing after reading this...

On Sunday, July 31, 2022 at 12:42:17 PM UTC+10, Ed Lee wrote:
On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 7:28:29 PM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 4:00:58 AM UTC+10, John Larkin wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:47:13 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee <edward....@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 10:43:34 AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 06:26:58 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee <edward....@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

I gassed up this morning, as I have to do about every 2 weeks. About
400 KWH equivalent in maybe 3 minutes. A gas pump delivers roughly 20
megawatts equivalent.

Not everybody can install a gas pump at home. Everybody got 120V outlet at home.

Cars spend 95% of their time parked. Two to fours miles per hour forever translates to 40 to 80 MPH while they aren\'t parked, and that wimpy 120V extension cord must have a very limited current capacity. Put a heavy duty socket next to where the e-car is normally parked and you should be able to do better, but John Larkin doesn\'t know enough about electric wiring to be aware of this.

120V 15A is around 1.8kw. Get 5.4 miles per hour even for my lowly Leaf.

But i park my car mostly in the street, sometimes moving it once a week for street cleaning. So, sometimes i drive a few miles per week and sometimes hundred miles a day.

Once electric cars get more popular, street parking will probably include access to charging. The charger will have to be clever enough to know whose car is it is charging, and who to bill for the charge delivered, but that\'s trivial. Apparently Canadian parking meters already come with a power plug to drive the radiator warmer to keep the radiator from freezing solid in winter.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 2:17:48 PM UTC-4, ke...@kjwdesigns.com wrote:
On Saturday, 30 July 2022 at 10:45:33 UTC-7, Ed Lee wrote:
I just realized why the connector has the button. That informs the system the user is about to detach the connector, so the
power can be interrupted. I know on the J1772 connector it is required. I can\'t imagine it is not required on the CCS1 connector.
CCS locking is controlled by the charger and EV not by the user. I think you know less about CCS than me, which is low already.
So don\'t use a charger with a broken connector. It can be dangerous.
Yes it is. All poorly designed CCS are dangerous. All it take is one bad CCS to crash the EV. Not a big deal for me, but for people without the tools on hand. It would need a tow to the shop.
The Proximity Pilot (PP) signal signals the EV that the user has pressed the latch release button.

The EV can then disable charging so there is no current flowing when the plug is pulled and release the plug latch if present.

In a normal cable the EVSE/DC charger does not get the proximity pilot signal so doesn\'t know whether the button has been pressed.

The pin is in the connector. Are you saying they don\'t include a wire in the cable for it? Yeah, looks that way. Odd.

I suppose the EVSE doesn\'t need to know the user has pressed the button. The car lets the EVSE know the charging has ended through the control pilot signal. They don\'t show that very clearly in the various docs I can find. But it seems the car removes the 1300 ohm resistor from in parallel with the 2.7k resistor, which tells the EVSE that charging has ended.

--

Rick C.

---- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
---- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 11:27:24 PM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:
On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 2:17:48 PM UTC-4, ke...@kjwdesigns.com wrote:
On Saturday, 30 July 2022 at 10:45:33 UTC-7, Ed Lee wrote:
I just realized why the connector has the button. That informs the system the user is about to detach the connector, so the
power can be interrupted. I know on the J1772 connector it is required. I can\'t imagine it is not required on the CCS1 connector.
CCS locking is controlled by the charger and EV not by the user. I think you know less about CCS than me, which is low already.
So don\'t use a charger with a broken connector. It can be dangerous..
Yes it is. All poorly designed CCS are dangerous. All it take is one bad CCS to crash the EV. Not a big dyou eal for me, but for people without the tools on hand. It would need a tow to the shop.
The Proximity Pilot (PP) signal signals the EV that the user has pressed the latch release button.

The EV can then disable charging so there is no current flowing when the plug is pulled and release the plug latch if present.

In a normal cable the EVSE/DC charger does not get the proximity pilot signal so doesn\'t know whether the button has been pressed.
The pin is in the connector. Are you saying they don\'t include a wire in the cable for it? Yeah, looks that way. Odd.

I don\'t think DC chargers take any action with the proximity pin. I only use the CDM plug, but probably work the same with CCS. When you plug it into the vehicle, the charger does not initiate, you have to press a button on the touch screen (or with an RFID card) first. It run an insulation test. Probably locking and testing the DC power connection. That mean it did not do anything before your pressing the button on the screen. Problem is that you are at the charger and not at the vehicle to hold the plug while the charger is trying to lock the plug. If it does not lock properly, we have a problem.

> I suppose the EVSE doesn\'t need to know the user has pressed the button. The car lets the EVSE know the charging has ended through the control pilot signal. They don\'t show that very clearly in the various docs I can find. But it seems the car removes the 1300 ohm resistor from in parallel with the 2.7k resistor, which tells the EVSE that charging has ended.

That\'s for J1772. DC charger only use PLC over CP. Unfortunately, nothing about the protocol available.

On Sat, 30 Jul 2022 19:42:14 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee
<edward.ming.lee@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:47:13 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee
edward....@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 06:26:58 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee

I am confused. Should the car be turned upside down to charge with CCS? Or at least horizontally with center of gravity of the plug tilted to the signal end? Otherwise, weight of the plug tends to pull the signal pins off.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/07/the-ars-technica-guide-to-electric-vehicle-charging/

Seriously, is CCS CP using the LIN physical layer, or a similar version of it? Any CCS experts here?
If cars had a USB C connector for charging things would be simpler.

Yes, 12V USB C would work.
Your article is interesting.

Given an infinitely long 120v extension cord, an ecar might travel at
2 to 4 MPH forever.

Level 2 can manage 10 to 20 MPH forever, always connected.

megawatts equivalent.

Not everybody can install a gas pump at home. Everybody got 120V outlet at home.

Not everybody can coun t on parking within reach of that outlet. I
park on the street. I do sometimes trip over neighbors\' extension
cords strung across the sidewalk.

Cars spend 95% of their time parked. Two to fours miles per hour forever translates to 40 to 80 MPH while they aren\'t parked, and that wimpy 120V extension cord must have a very limited current capacity. Put a heavy duty socket next to where the e-car is normally parked and you should be able to do better, but John Larkin doesn\'t know enough about electric wiring to be aware of this.

Oh, 5 MPH!

But i park my car mostly in the street, sometimes moving it once a week for street cleaning. So, sometimes i drive a few miles per week and sometimes hundred miles a day.

Extension cord across the sidewalk?

On Monday, August 1, 2022 at 12:06:16 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:

I am confused. Should the car be turned upside down to charge with CCS? Or at least horizontally with center of gravity of the plug tilted to the signal end? Otherwise, weight of the plug tends to pull the signal pins off.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/07/the-ars-technica-guide-to-electric-vehicle-charging/

Seriously, is CCS CP using the LIN physical layer, or a similar version of it? Any CCS experts here?

2 to 4 MPH forever.

megawatts equivalent.

Oh, 5 MPH!

When i am not doing road trip, I just charge it for an hour or two once a week. There are usually space for free charging early in the morning around 7am to 8am. I have to move it for street cleaning anyway.

When i have the solar panel, i would not need to charge it at all. But i have to work on shunt regulating the batteries first. Even 100w can overcharge them in a week.

On Monday, August 1, 2022 at 4:22:26 PM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:

2 to 4 MPH forever.

megawatts equivalent.

Oh, 5 MPH!

When i am not doing road trip, I just charge it for an hour or two once a week. There are usually space for free charging early in the morning around 7am to 8am. I have to move it for street cleaning anyway.

When i have the solar panel, i would not need to charge it at all. But i have to work on shunt regulating the batteries first. Even 100w can overcharge them in a week.

If you run the solar panels through an inverter, you will be able to use the existing controller and not have any fear of damaging the battery, the precious, expensive battery.

--

Rick C.

---+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
---+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Monday, 1 August 2022 at 22:22:26 UTC+2, Ed Lee wrote:

2 to 4 MPH forever.

megawatts equivalent.

Oh, 5 MPH!

100W x 7 days x 5 hrs = 3,500W
\\not much to overcharge

In standard cars you can charge car battery from solar panel via cigarette lighter socket

AUDI A6, A8 implemented solar cell roof by Webasto (controller included)
And in early days of solar panels
it was the only way to buy used Audi solar roofs to get quality, glass laminated solar panels for home use

and Webasto Manager installed 100 used Audi solar panels on roof of his barnhouse.

(In early days of Internet it was easy to make friends with everyone in the world)

On Monday, August 1, 2022 at 1:53:18 PM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:

2 to 4 MPH forever.

megawatts equivalent.

Oh, 5 MPH!

If you run the solar panels through an inverter, you will be able to use the existing controller and not have any fear of damaging the battery, the precious, expensive battery.

Yes, but i need to balance them anyway. I have 32x 12V modules. The stronger one should be shunted out at 12.6V. It is necessary for solar and regular charging.

On Monday, 1 August 2022 at 22:53:18 UTC+2, Ricky wrote:

2 to 4 MPH forever.

megawatts equivalent.

Oh, 5 MPH!

Ric ky,
do you earn pennies from Tesla ?

Tesla is coming with charging socket and protocol controls the charging process
How can you implement the protocol into third party inverter to be recognized by Tesla car, as a charging station ?

Tesla car should be foolproof to never let that happen.

Exactly the case with laptop battery, controlled by protocol
to not you let charge the battery off-the-laptop or use as a mobile power bank

On Monday, August 1, 2022 at 1:57:29 PM UTC-7, a a wrote:
On Monday, 1 August 2022 at 22:22:26 UTC+2, Ed Lee wrote:

2 to 4 MPH forever.

megawatts equivalent.

Oh, 5 MPH!

100W x 7 days x 5 hrs = 3,500W
\\not much to overcharge

But if i only drive one mile or two to Safeway (only reason i need to drive) a week. It will be 6kW in two weeks.

> In standard cars you can charge car battery from solar panel via cigarette lighter socket

Lead acid don\'t care much about 100% SOC. It\'s deadly for Lithium.

On Monday, August 1, 2022 at 5:05:25 PM UTC-4, a a wrote:
On Monday, 1 August 2022 at 22:53:18 UTC+2, Ricky wrote:

2 to 4 MPH forever.

megawatts equivalent.

Oh, 5 MPH!

Ric ky,
do you earn pennies from Tesla ?

Tesla is coming with charging socket and protocol controls the charging process
How can you implement the protocol into third party inverter to be recognized by Tesla car, as a charging station ?

Tesla car should be foolproof to never let that happen.

Exactly the case with laptop battery, controlled by protocol
to not you let charge the battery off-the-laptop or use as a mobile power bank

Sorry, I can\'t figure out what you are trying to say. It sounds like you think BEVs are charged the same way as a cheap battery charger where you have to unplug it to prevent overcharging.

Try using a translation program. Maybe that would be more clear?

--

Rick C.

--+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
--+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Monday, 1 August 2022 at 13:57:29 UTC-7, a a wrote:
In standard cars you can charge car battery from solar panel via cigarette lighter socket

Many (most?) Japanese cars disconnect the cigarette lighter socket when the ignition is off.

kw

On Monday, August 1, 2022 at 8:58:02 PM UTC-4, ke...@kjwdesigns.com wrote:

Many (most?) Japanese cars disconnect the cigarette lighter socket when the ignition is off.

That just means it\'s a bit more work. Ed and a a don\'t mind that. They like inconvenience.

--

Rick C.

--++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
--++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Monday, August 1, 2022 at 6:21:48 PM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:

That just means it\'s a bit more work. Ed and a a don\'t mind that. They like inconvenience.

Don\'t know about aa. Ed got 30A direct link to the main battery, 24/7 on. Can\'t afford to turn on the 100W power relay with solar.

On Tuesday, 2 August 2022 at 03:21:48 UTC+2, Ricky wrote:

--

Rick C.

--++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
--++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Ricky,
since you make pennies from Tesla, marketing supercharging fake

Just call Elon to get latest technology on how to use local, home solar panels for supercharging Tesla.

If supercharging is too complicated, just any form of reliable solar charger which would work for Tesla, is sought.

Elon promoted PowerWall in the past, promoted Tesla car turned into power bank to feed your home with electric energy,
so we need to know what specification inverter would work for solar panels to turn inverter\'s outlet into charging socket for Tesla.

BTW

I will suggest Elon to build some Teslas with solar roofs.
200W is not much, but may keep your battery protected against being completely depleted.

On Tuesday, 2 August 2022 at 03:37:56 UTC+2, Ed Lee wrote:

Don\'t know about aa. Ed got 30A direct link to the main battery, 24/7 on. Can\'t afford to turn on the 100W power relay with solar.
why not to call Elon directly ?

He lives on Twitter with his delusional day dreaming ideas.

On Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 3:18:37 AM UTC-7, a a wrote:
On Tuesday, 2 August 2022 at 03:37:56 UTC+2, Ed Lee wrote:

why not to call Elon directly ?

It\'s too simple to ask. Just tap into the traction battery directly with 400V 30A cable. If you are only doing solar, 5A o 10A should be enough. I have a 48V to 220V inverter, which can rectify into 374V DC. It should be able to keep the battery from dropping below 60%.

However, if you have some kind of buffering battery (i got 8kwhr), you still need to balance the cells to avoid any of them from OV (4.3V).

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back