You won’t be confused about electric vehicle charg ing after reading this...

E

Ed Lee

I am confused. Should the car be turned upside down to charge with CCS? Or at least horizontally with center of gravity of the plug tilted to the signal end? Otherwise, weight of the plug tends to pull the signal pins off.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/07/the-ars-technica-guide-to-electric-vehicle-charging/

Seriously, is CCS CP using the LIN physical layer, or a similar version of it? Any CCS experts here?

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 9:27:02 AM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:
I am confused. Should the car be turned upside down to charge with CCS? Or at least horizontally with center of gravity of the plug tilted to the signal end? Otherwise, weight of the plug tends to pull the signal pins off.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/07/the-ars-technica-guide-to-electric-vehicle-charging/

Seriously, is CCS CP using the LIN physical layer, or a similar version of it? Any CCS experts here?

Ed, you are doing your usual thing of expecting people to read your post as well as your mind. I don\'t see LIN mentioned in the article you link at all. The body of the connector maintains a physical alignment. The pins are supported by the body and so are aligned with the mating pins. This is connectors 101, and is how nearly all connectors work.

What are you talking about???

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 9:46:44 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:

Ed, you are doing your usual thing of expecting people to read your post as well as your mind. I don\'t see LIN mentioned in the article you link at all.

Sorry, it\'s two different issues.

LIN bus is simplified CAN. 12V PLC pulled-up with 1K. Sound like it should work with the CCS Control Pilot (CP) physical layer. I am looking to buy or build the protocol analyser.

> The body of the connector maintains a physical alignment. The pins are supported by the body and so are aligned with the mating pins. This is connectors 101, and is how nearly all connectors work.

Many CCS drivers can tell you that it should be up-side down. It does not connect reliable sometime. Perhaps they should plug in and hold the plug for an hour while charging.

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 10:02:35 AM UTC-7, Ed Lee wrote:

Ed, you are doing your usual thing of expecting people to read your post as well as your mind. I don\'t see LIN mentioned in the article you link at all.

LIN bus is simplified CAN. 12V PLC pulled-up with 1K. Sound like it should work with the CCS Control Pilot (CP) physical layer. I am looking to buy or build the protocol analyser.
The body of the connector maintains a physical alignment. The pins are supported by the body and so are aligned with the mating pins. This is connectors 101, and is how nearly all connectors work.
Many CCS drivers can tell you that it should be up-side down. It does not connect reliable sometime. Perhaps they should plug in and hold the plug for an hour while charging.

One CCS driver reported on plugshare that intermittent charger caused EV system crash with idiot light (check engine). I had experienced similar problem with J1772 with the #1 (left most) plug at Bakersfield Amtrak. #4 connector is broken. #3 is power-off. #2 is OK.

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 1:02:35 PM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:

The body of the connector maintains a physical alignment. The pins are supported by the body and so are aligned with the mating pins. This is connectors 101, and is how nearly all connectors work.

How would upside down make it work better? The catch is on the top. The weight of the cable pulls down, but the lever arm presses the connector more tightly, not apart. Look at the mechanics.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 1:13:42 PM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:

One CCS driver reported on plugshare that intermittent charger caused EV system crash with idiot light (check engine). I had experienced similar problem with J1772 with the #1 (left most) plug at Bakersfield Amtrak. #4 connector is broken. #3 is power-off. #2 is OK.

Maybe Tesla won\'t be giving up their customer interface design after all. Seems to work pretty well compared to your experiences... although, your experiences are anything but typical.

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 10:23:48 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:

How would upside down make it work better? The catch is on the top. The weight of the cable pulls down, but the lever arm presses the connector more tightly, not apart. Look at the mechanics.

Upside down would push the signal pins in, instead of pulling out. Or just mount the socket horizontally as in my case.

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 10:25:04 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:
On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 1:13:42 PM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:

Maybe Tesla won\'t be giving up their customer interface design after all. Seems to work pretty well compared to your experiences... although, your experiences are anything but typical.

Yes, i have to agree that Tesla\'s physical design is better. Logical design is same as CDM (CAN based). I am just reported many other drivers\' experiences, not just mine.

On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 06:26:58 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee
<edward.ming.lee@gmail.com> wrote:

If cars had a USB C connector for charging things would be simpler.

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 1:27:12 PM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:

Upside down would push the signal pins in, instead of pulling out. Or just mount the socket horizontally as in my case.

You aren\'t explaining anything, just making an unsupported statement. The latch is at the top. It can\'t be pulled out at the top by the weight of the cable. But the rest of the connector can be pushed in with the latch as a pivot point. However, the body of the connector will prevent very much movement. I\'m not seeing what you are talking about. In fact, an upside down connector would tend to pull the pins out, rather than push them in, again, the latch is the pivot point as much as it can move.

--

Rick C.

-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 1:43:34 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
edward....@gmail.com> wrote:

Another country heard from.

--

Rick C.

+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 10:43:34 AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:

Yes, 12V USB C would work.

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 10:44:33 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:

You aren\'t explaining anything, just making an unsupported statement. The latch is at the top. It can\'t be pulled out at the top by the weight of the cable. But the rest of the connector can be pushed in with the latch as a pivot point. However, the body of the connector will prevent very much movement. I\'m not seeing what you are talking about. In fact, an upside down connector would tend to pull the pins out, rather than push them in, again, the latch is the pivot point as much as it can move.

I haven\'t really use CCS, just relaying other CCS drivers\' complaint. Unlike J1772, the top latch might not be there for CCS.

On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:47:13 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee
<edward.ming.lee@gmail.com> wrote:

Your article is interesting.

Given an infinitely long 120v extension cord, an ecar might travel at
2 to 4 MPH forever.

Level 2 can manage 10 to 20 MPH forever, always connected.

I gassed up this morning, as I have to do about every 2 weeks. About
400 KWH equivalent in maybe 3 minutes. A gas pump delivers roughly 20
megawatts equivalent.

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 1:49:08 PM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:

I haven\'t really use CCS, just relaying other CCS drivers\' complaint. Unlike J1772, the top latch might not be there for CCS.

It\'s the same connector. Look at a picture. Heck, look at the picture in your link!

--

Rick C.

++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 2:00:58 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:

2 to 4 MPH forever.

As usual, you either don\'t understand BEVs, or are in denial. A 120V, 15A outlet will produce at least 1 kW of power for the motor. With 4 mi/kWh, that is 4 mph minimum.

> Level 2 can manage 10 to 20 MPH forever, always connected.

Again, misinformation. Level two chargers range from about 5 kW to 19 kW or 20 to 76 mph.

I gassed up this morning, as I have to do about every 2 weeks. About
400 KWH equivalent in maybe 3 minutes. A gas pump delivers roughly 20
megawatts equivalent.

Most BEV owners never have to \"gas up\" meaning going to a charger. They simply fill their tank every night at home. Gas stations smell bad and get your shoes oily. Great places to avoid.

--

Rick C.

--- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
--- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 11:09:04 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:

It\'s the same connector. Look at a picture. Heck, look at the picture in your link!

Some J-plugs don\'t have the top latch. Some are disabled/broken. I don\'t know if all CCS plugs have the latch. I will check on my next long distance trip. It\'s not a big deal for J-plug, but big deal for CCS.

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 11:13:30 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:
On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 2:00:58 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:

2 to 4 MPH forever.
As usual, you either don\'t understand BEVs, or are in denial. A 120V, 15A outlet will produce at least 1 kW of power for the motor. With 4 mi/kWh, that is 4 mph minimum.

Why stay with 120V? 220V three phases cable can run at 55MPH forever. I am building a 4 o 8 phases charger and i need to manage the batteries/chargers with USB, but running with 12V open drain/collector signals on single power wire at 12V. I can have upto 15 batteries. Some people call it LIN bus..

Currently, my primary vehicle (13-8) has 13kwhr #1 and 8kwhr #2. My secondary vehicle will have 3 batteries 10-8-8. I need to enable/disable them in sequences, to avoid overloading the 30A circuit.

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 2:36:52 PM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:

Upside down would push the signal pins in, instead of pulling out.. Or just mount the socket horizontally as in my case.
Some J-plugs don\'t have the top latch. Some are disabled/broken. I don\'t know if all CCS plugs have the latch. I will check on my next long distance trip. It\'s not a big deal for J-plug, but big deal for CCS.

If your connector is broken, I would not expect it to work well. Duh!

The Tesla connector is not without flaws. The locking mechanism can fail in a way the cable can not be removed without having to go through the truck to reach a manual release.

This seems to me as much ado about nothing.

--

Rick C.

--+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
--+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 12:06:23 PM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:
On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 2:36:52 PM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:

The body of the connector maintains a physical alignment. The pins are supported by the body and so are aligned with the mating pins.. This is connectors 101, and is how nearly all connectors work.
If your connector is broken, I would not expect it to work well. Duh!

It\'s still work with the latch broken, and it\'s the cases with many of them..

> The Tesla connector is not without flaws. The locking mechanism can fail in a way the cable can not be removed without having to go through the truck to reach a manual release.

Vehicle locking is a different issue than the handle locking.

> This seems to me as much ado about nothing.

It\'s just the fact of (real) life.

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back