Which N Or P Power MOSFETs ?...

On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 07:22:59 -0800 (PST), George Herold
<ggherold@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 10:36:56 PM UTC-5, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 15:25:29 -0800 (PST), George Herold
gghe...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 4:51:32 PM UTC-5, John Larkin wrote:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 09:12:04 -0800 (PST), George Herold

On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 11:51:58 AM UTC-5, piglet wrote:
On 19/11/2020 15:52, George Herold wrote:
On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 10:37:06 AM UTC-5, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 05:31:20 -0800 (PST), George Herold

On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 7:25:48 AM UTC-5, Jeff Urban wrote:
Many know I set out to build a really good amp. Well after all that I found it can\'t work. The drawing was on the bench and I saw the problem immediately, at a glance. Damn.

But I did find it. Now it needs power MOSFETs for outputs. This looks pretty much non-negotiable.

I forget which is which but they are all the same. Al either ?N channel or P channel. The difference it the power supply. Which is easier to design, but what if the better choice need negative, ? Then I draw it upside down, so what ?

So which is better or more linear or whatever ?

We are in the 140V/18A range.
Is this a linear amp? If so that\'s a lot of heat.
Do you have \"Art of Electronics\". (The 2nd ed. is probably fairly cheap now.)

George H.
The problem is not well specified. \"Good amp\" is not very clear.

Class-D amps are simple and efficient. I\'m designing one right now.

Most mosfets are designed for switching and don\'t take kindly to
linear operation, way out there on their SOAR curve. They tend to blow
up at some fraction of their rated power dissipation; bipolars do that
too.

We learned about that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4nxm7m2q3j3buvc/ExFets.jpg?raw=1

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Science teaches us to doubt.

Claude Bernard
Here\'s a crazy idea... ( idea stolen from a linear power supply with stepped taps
on the transformer.) How about a linear amp (inner loop) with some switched
power supply rails... ? It would probably be ugly.
George H.

Yep, it\'s been done already. Goes by weird names like class \"H\" or \"G\"
or whatever marketing thinks sounds cool.

piglet
Thanks piglet, you can tell I\'m an audio expert. :^)
Not much when searching for class G/H but this seems good.
https://sound-au.com/articles/class-g.htm

GH
We don\'t know if the OP wants to drive motors or speakers or rail
guns.

Yeah. The load is important. R\'s are easy.
Walking around thinking, I don\'t really like the multi-tapped
G-amp anymore than the two tap A/B amp. (+/-)
When driving weird loads cross-over distortion.. hic-ups is a concern.
I\'m thinking the 3 tap class G thing has three times as many
cross-overs... depending on the amplitude.

So how about a class D amp doing a (relatively) slow power rail.
(say 1 ms)
and a class A amp inside doing the fast stuff. (1 us?)
I\'m thinking single sided.
That wouldn\'t work for a short pulse.

George H.

Here is a new (to me) class of linear amp: it\'s a full analog
h-bridge, but with added fets to ground either output phase when less
than half swing is needed.
Hmm OK, do you have to make the fets switch on at the zero crossing?

Well, it would need a strategy. A clever one would spread the heat
out.

It\'s probably been done.

--

Claude Bernard

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 18:09:54 -0800 (PST), Jeff Urban
<jurb6006@gmail.com> wrote:

I see y\'all fucked this up with style

Now, this amp is not just a good amp, the topology is brad new and not up for discussion. the other day I found a fatal error in it and I fixed that. it was ot that it owuld blow up, it is that it owuld not do what I want it to do.

This is for audiophiles. You want to call them audiophools you go right the fuck ahead but when I see someone with a fifty grand turntable I think \"You know, they might just have money\".

There are other components that take this amp into the three grand range, they will spend that.

The design will not be released for some time. It is new. I have already talked to lawyers about this, just because I could. Anyway, there is no discussion on topography, or complimentaries. All the output devices will be the same polarity.

My question was simple. I am going to and a bunch of these and I want the best reliability. Now I remember PNP silicon transistors going before the NPNs. The opposite was true of germanium to some extent, and fact they made few of them probably because of that.

So, this amp only has a single supply. Extremely high current. If I can use P channel I can use a + supply. Well if it is really just as reliable. If N channel is more reliable I have to go wit a negative source which I can do, but to me it is like thinking upside down.

Maybe I\'\'ll just ask Digikey. And the big chokes, I really want to talk to that company with over $300 each, and who knows on the power transformer. But Digikey won\'t know. They just sell the stuff. (not the transformers though)

Gosh, you sound serious. I suspected that your original post was a
joke.

--

Claude Bernard

On Friday, November 20, 2020 at 8:04:53 AM UTC-5, piglet wrote:
On 20/11/2020 2:09 am, Jeff Urban wrote:

Now, this amp is not just a good amp, the topology is brad new and not up for discussion. the other day I found a fatal error in it and I fixed that. it was ot that it owuld blow up, it is that it owuld not do what I want it to do.

This is for audiophiles. You want to call them audiophools you go right the fuck ahead but when I see someone with a fifty grand turntable I think \"You know, they might just have money\".

There are other components that take this amp into the three grand range, they will spend that.

The design will not be released for some time. It is new. I have already talked to lawyers about this, just because I could. Anyway, there is no discussion on topography, or complimentaries. All the output devices will be the same polarity.

My question was simple. I am going to and a bunch of these and I want the best reliability. Now I remember PNP silicon transistors going before the NPNs. The opposite was true of germanium to some extent, and fact they made few of them probably because of that.

So, this amp only has a single supply. Extremely high current. If I can use P channel I can use a + supply. Well if it is really just as reliable. If N channel is more reliable I have to go wit a negative source which I can do, but to me it is like thinking upside down.

Maybe I\'\'ll just ask Digikey. And the big chokes, I really want to talk to that company with over $300 each, and who knows on the power transformer. But Digikey won\'t know. They just sell the stuff. (not the transformers though)

Your mention of chokes reminds me of this interesting and unusual amplifier:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/df5kxw3wsjw73pz/ChokeLoadedAmplifierElectronics-World-1999-11.pdf?dl=0

Perhaps you can get your rich audiophools to avoid the toxic and nuclear
contaminated mains power line and go for the pure hum-free silence of
battery!

piglet
Oh, I\'ve seen that inductor load before....
Yeah Nelson Pass... scroll down about 1/2 way... figure 8.
https://www.passdiy.com/project/amplifiers/zen-variations-7

George H.
The first \'zen\' amp was a current source as load.. That seemed more straight
forward to me. Hey, is modulating the current source kinda the same as changing
the power supply rail?

On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 06:58:12 -0800 (PST), Jeff Urban
<jurb6006@gmail.com> wrote:

The design is set. I do not need nor seek advice in that. All I asked is if N channel or P channel are more or less inherently reliable What they do in an audio amp is not only of not concern but as you know usually one will cause the other to short so I can glean no data that way.

I figured around here someone might have experience.

I\'ve found that they do get dizzy if you draw them upside-down. That
changes the phase interferance of the microdynamics and can ultimately
lead to bass speed granularity. Trust me on that.

If I ask Digikey, no matter how good they are they would probably tell me whichever they make more money on. Maybe I\'ll ask on a kinky sex website.

It is pretty fucking bad when someone injects politics into a question like this.

This group went from being informative and mutually helpful to being like watching TV.

I\'ll just make my own decision, fuck it. Apparently I am the only intelligent life on this planet.

Now I know that you are joking.

--

Claude Bernard

On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 13:04:42 +0000, piglet <erichpwagner@hotmail.com>
wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/df5kxw3wsjw73pz/ChokeLoadedAmplifierElectronics-World-1999-11.pdf?dl=0

Audio schematics are always such fun. The DC bias of the output fets
is hilarious.

--

Claude Bernard

On Friday, November 20, 2020 at 6:58:21 AM UTC-8, Jeff Urban wrote:
> The design is set. I do not need nor seek advice in that. All I asked is if N channel or P channel are more or less inherently reliable

That\'s like asking if manufactured or site-built houses are more reliable. That depends on how much they are willing to spend on it. Given enough semi-conductors and metals, either P or N can be made reliable enough.

> It is pretty fucking bad when someone injects politics into a question like this.

It\'s worse when they use foul language to make a point. I like to insult people with fine and polite language, foul language only when i run out of words. Given enough time to think, that should not be a problem.

<ggherold@gmail.com> wrote:

These days, are they really making full range (20 Hz .. 20 kHz)
speaker elements that can handle 1 kW power levels ?

If not, what is the point of making kW class full range amplifiers ?
If you have to divide the audio spectrum to multiple speaker elements
a passive crossover becomes awkward at such power levels. Better use
active crossover so each amplifier can be optimized for required
frequency range (and power levels).

On Friday, November 20, 2020 at 11:36:09 AM UTC-5, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 13:04:42 +0000, piglet <erichp...@hotmail.com
wrote:

So, this amp only has a single supply. Extremely high current. If I can use P channel I can use a + supply. Well if it is really just as reliable.. If N channel is more reliable I have to go wit a negative source which I can do, but to me it is like thinking upside down.

Audio schematics are always such fun. The DC bias of the output fets
is hilarious.
I can almost understand most of the bipolar stuff. I mostly assume that if I build
something similar, I\'ll replace everything but the drive with opamps.
--

Claude Bernard

On Friday, November 20, 2020 at 11:53:12 AM UTC-5, upsid...@downunder.com wrote:

We don\'t know what the load is.... maybe he\'s built his own speakers too.
George H .
(who wonders if he\'s even built a prototype.)

On 20.11.20 19.21, George Herold wrote:
On Friday, November 20, 2020 at 11:53:12 AM UTC-5, upsid...@downunder.com wrote:

George H .

To pass for the audio guys at this power level, a pair of 3-500Z\'s
is needed, or maybe a pair of 813\'s with a pair of 866A\'s in the
power supply ...

--

-TV

On 11/20/2020 4:57 AM, boB wrote:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 18:09:54 -0800 (PST), Jeff Urban
jurb6006@gmail.com> wrote:

It matters a lot if it is going to be a switching amp or a linear
amplifier as far as power FETs go so.

Yes also because all the graphs and safe operating area curves for
modern switching MOSFETs are of little use when they\'re used in a linear
application.

Whos says it is a great amplifier ? You or the audiophiles ?

The audiophiles that will spend money won\'t care or be able to tell if
it is better than most any other amplifier of the same power rating
pretty much. If it costs a lot of money and you can feed them
bullshit, they might just buy it.

When I was at school I had a look in the plant room at a sports stadium.
It was more interesting than the games.
They had rows of 813s driving the 100V line PA system.
They were also favoured by the local pirate radio station - driven by
rotary converters powered by large lead-acid batteries as there was no
mains on hill-tops.

John

upsid...@downunder.com wrote:

=========================
** Been doing it for several decades.
Cabs with two high power 15 inch drivers and a large format horn cater for 1kW amps fine.

The 15s will be 8 ohms type and the horn driver 16 ohms, with a 18dB /oct x-over and passive EQ.
It may also use incandescent lamps for overloaded protection in series with the feed.

> If not, what is the point of making kW class full range amplifiers ?

** Be silly to make them narrow range .

a passive crossover becomes awkward at such power levels.

** It actually very straight foward.

...... Phil

some bit brain fuckhead wrote:
=============================

application.

** FFS post *only* on topics you know something about.

That will narrow the field right down to SFA.

...... Phil

On 11/19/20 11:51 AM, Piglet wrote:
On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 10:37:06 AM UTC-5,
jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

Many know I set out to build a really good amp. Well after all that
I found it can\'t work. The drawing was on the bench and I saw the
problem immediately, at a glance. Damn.

But I did find it. Now it needs power MOSFETs for outputs. This
looks pretty much non-negotiable.

I forget which is which but they are all the same. Al either ?N
channel or P channel. The difference it the power supply. Which is
easier to design, but what if the better choice need negative, ?
Then I draw it upside down, so what ?

Do you have \"Art of Electronics\". (The 2nd ed. is probably fairly
cheap now.)

George H.

too.

We learned about that.

Here\'s a crazy idea... ( idea stolen from a linear power supply with
stepped taps
on the transformer.) How about a linear amp (inner loop) with some
switched
power supply rails... ?  It would probably be ugly.
George H.

The amplifier classes up to at least H are a pretty useful framework, I
think.

We commonly use classes A, B, C, D, and H.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

On 11/19/20 10:36 PM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 15:25:29 -0800 (PST), George Herold
ggherold@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 4:51:32 PM UTC-5, John Larkin wrote:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 09:12:04 -0800 (PST), George Herold

On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 11:51:58 AM UTC-5, piglet wrote:
On Thursday, November 19, 2020 at 10:37:06 AM UTC-5, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

Many know I set out to build a really good amp. Well after all that I found it can\'t work. The drawing was on the bench and I saw the problem immediately, at a glance. Damn.

But I did find it. Now it needs power MOSFETs for outputs. This looks pretty much non-negotiable.

I forget which is which but they are all the same. Al either ?N channel or P channel. The difference it the power supply. Which is easier to design, but what if the better choice need negative, ? Then I draw it upside down, so what ?

Do you have \"Art of Electronics\". (The 2nd ed. is probably fairly cheap now.)

George H.

too.

We learned about that.

--

Claude Bernard
Here\'s a crazy idea... ( idea stolen from a linear power supply with stepped taps
on the transformer.) How about a linear amp (inner loop) with some switched
power supply rails... ? It would probably be ugly.
George H.

piglet
Thanks piglet, you can tell I\'m an audio expert. :^)
Not much when searching for class G/H but this seems good.
https://sound-au.com/articles/class-g.htm

GH
We don\'t know if the OP wants to drive motors or speakers or rail
guns.

Yeah. The load is important. R\'s are easy.
Walking around thinking, I don\'t really like the multi-tapped
G-amp anymore than the two tap A/B amp. (+/-)
When driving weird loads cross-over distortion.. hic-ups is a concern.
I\'m thinking the 3 tap class G thing has three times as many
cross-overs... depending on the amplitude.

So how about a class D amp doing a (relatively) slow power rail.
(say 1 ms)
and a class A amp inside doing the fast stuff. (1 us?)
I\'m thinking single sided.
That wouldn\'t work for a short pulse.

George H.

Here is a new (to me) class of linear amp: it\'s a full analog
h-bridge, but with added fets to ground either output phase when less
than half swing is needed.

Here\'s my class-D amp:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9bnfkxwhd14sf02/P902B_Hbr_7.jpg?raw=1

Potentially pretty nice, but super hard to read--a digital Panteltje
tribute no doubt. ;)

It\'s specified for 200 watts out, but it might output 20 amps peak now
and then. I don\'t know if I really need the schottky diodes; it
depends on the reverse recovery behavior of the fet substrate diodes.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

On 2020-11-20, Jeff Urban <jurb6006@gmail.com> wrote:
The design is set. I do not need nor seek advice in that. All I asked is if N channel or P channel are more or less inherently reliable What they do in an audio amp is not only of not concern but as you know usually one will cause the other to short so I can glean no data that way.

I figured around here someone might have experience.

Electricity works better as electrons than it does as holes, so you\'ll
likely see better performance per dollar from M-cnannel parts.

I\'m farly sure someone has alteady said that.

> This group went from being informative and mutually helpful to being like watching TV.

There\'s people here who do want to discuss electronics, and perhaps
immagine that they could offer pointers to improve the design.

--
Jasen.

On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 19:44:15 +0200, Tauno Voipio
<tauno.voipio@notused.fi.invalid> wrote:

On 20.11.20 19.21, George Herold wrote:

George H .

power supply ...

Then the problem becomes the output transformer.

--

Claude Bernard

On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 16:27:03 -0800 (PST), Phil Allison
<pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:

application.

..... Phil

Really, Phil, you are unreasonably harsh on people merely because they
are foul and stupid. Not everyone can be born sweet and smart like us.

--

Claude Bernard

jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

===================================
Phil Allison

application.

Really, Phil, you are unreasonably harsh on people merely because they
are foul and stupid. Not everyone can be born sweet and smart like us.

** Sweetness in an un-affordable luxury on usenet.

..... Phil

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back