Using USB-C Super Speed Alternate signals...

N

Nick Breimer

Hi

I am playing with USB-C

USB-C has 4 differential pairs, so called super speed channels, that is enabled in USB Alternate Mode

I am considering using them for my own signals between own design equipment, but of course still complying with the direction of the signals (so in my system I will always use an USB defined RX pin feeding a TX signal onto that line. I will keep signals on max 3.3V levels to comply with the standard

That way, if I ever connect the USB-C cable to a PC, I wont destroy anything

Also, I will add a protection device to handle the 20V that a USB-C port can deliver, if it is negotiated to do so (it might be that a port by mistake is negotiated to do that, and I don\'t want that to create problems also). So you guess correctly, I am also using VBUS to power the device

Do you see any problems doing that?

Thanks

Nick

On 28-11-2020 00:46, Nick Breimer wrote:
Hi

I am playing with USB-C

USB-C has 4 differential pairs, so called super speed channels, that is enabled in USB Alternate Mode

I am considering using them for my own signals between own design equipment, but of course still complying with the direction of the signals (so in my system I will always use an USB defined RX pin feeding a TX signal onto that line. I will keep signals on max 3.3V levels to comply with the standard

That way, if I ever connect the USB-C cable to a PC, I wont destroy anything

Also, I will add a protection device to handle the 20V that a USB-C port can deliver, if it is negotiated to do so (it might be that a port by mistake is negotiated to do that, and I don\'t want that to create problems also). So you guess correctly, I am also using VBUS to power the device

Do you see any problems doing that?

Thanks

Nick

I think that should be ok

AFAIK alternate mode is enabled with enumeration and negotiation with
the USB2.0 D+/D- channel

And thos signals will not change direction. Notice that is you connect
to a HDMI, DisplayPort, MHL or Thunderbolt port, you may get garbage in.
So you need to have safe SW \"behind\" those pins, so not to trigger
erratic behavior in the SW

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back