Two GPUs, one way more power efficient? How?...

C

Commander Kinsey

Guest
On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 13:39:24 +0100, Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote:

\"Commander Kinsey\" <CK1@nospam.com> wrote:

\"Casually copying\" is your way of saying \"warez\". You did the same as me, so shut the fuck up.

Wrong. My mom

Mum. Mom sounds like a 6 year old. How do you pronounce \"mother\"?

You\'re in the UK, I\'m not. I\'m aware you say \"mum\", there. I\'m not
there.

Again, how do you pronounce \"mother\"?


That means nothing. I\'m not in the same country, there are
differences in the way people typically speak.

I assume you say mutha. So shortening that to mom is daft. Why change the vowel?

It would be as stupid as shortening mathematics to math.

bought a retail copy of the WinXP upgrade, and we
installed it on two computers *very briefly*,

You broke the rules. You are a pirate, welcome to the club.

I had never had a problem doing that when we bought the Win98 upgrade.
They got more aggressive about it when XP came out. I learned from
that, like a mature person, even though what they did to my mom\'s
laptop was fucked up. And I did end up buying another copy. You,
however, are shameless about your piracy.

You stopped pirating not because you thought it was wrong, but because you got caught, that\'s pathetic.

That is not entirely true, actually. Once I realized that Microsoft
was going to enforce the one device rule, I accepted that, and
continued using their product, buying another copy, because I learned
from it.

So just as I said. Oh dear, MS can catch me out, I\'ll be a good boy and pay up. so nothing to do with morals then.

> When did you ever buy your copy?

I didn\'t. I have never ever paid for Windows.

\"I only went over the speed limit briefly\" is no excuse. Moron.

We aren\'t talking about speeding. No one thinks that a driver is
going to flawlessly follow every minute detail of traffic law. It
wouldn\'t even be possible to.

Speeding could kill (no I don\'t believe that but a lot do), pirating windows could not.

You could kill someone below the speed limit, too, it\'s called not
being reckless and losing control of the car. That\'s where the most
accident deaths come from, is when people drive like a complete idiot
and the car doesn\'t keep up with their shitty operating.

Agreed. But the law is stupid, it just goes by speed. Even though UK government stats show only 4% of crashes involving death or severe injuries were caused by speed.

Perhaps when you speed you pay more attention?

Are these illegal?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i402aqgctfsndp2/Scatter%20scooters%21.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4wtexv2dhgb00nn/Fast%20bumps.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6smlrj9svg0k32q/Slalom.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uonb2oiv107sm5s/Bicycle.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x01423s99pbqqyl/Scatter.mp4?dl=0

because of the problems
we encountered. I ended up buying *another* copy. When did you
correct your error for using *actual* warez, by paying for a license?
Answer: not to date, and given your callous attitude, probably never.

Why should I? I save thousands. I scoff at your stupidity paying for what you don\'t have to. I enjoy the extra cash not wasted on software. You are paying for my software. You lose. Thanks for making my life more fun.

And there it is. You are shameless.

Your point being?

My point is that you seem to think it\'s like a game. You think that
Microsoft is this corporate entity to be taken advantage of, because
you\'re the little guy, but in reality, if no one paid for software,
you\'d be stuck with only free software. You\'re trying to have it both
ways.

No, I know there are morons like you that will pay for me.
 
D

David Brooks

Guest
On 30/04/2022 09:15, Commander Kinsey wrote:
No, I know there are morons like you that will pay for me.

You should apologise to Joel
 
C

Commander Kinsey

Guest
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 10:01:34 +0100, David Brooks <DGB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

On 30/04/2022 09:15, Commander Kinsey wrote:

No, I know there are morons like you that will pay for me.

You should apologise to Joel

I will not. I get free stuff from him.
 
J

Joel

Guest
\"Commander Kinsey\" <CK1@nospam.com> wrote:

\"Casually copying\" is your way of saying \"warez\". You did the same as me, so shut the fuck up.

Wrong. My mom
bought a retail copy of the WinXP upgrade, and we
installed it on two computers *very briefly*,

You broke the rules. You are a pirate, welcome to the club.

I had never had a problem doing that when we bought the Win98 upgrade.
They got more aggressive about it when XP came out. I learned from
that, like a mature person, even though what they did to my mom\'s
laptop was fucked up. And I did end up buying another copy. You,
however, are shameless about your piracy.

You stopped pirating not because you thought it was wrong, but because you got caught, that\'s pathetic.

That is not entirely true, actually. Once I realized that Microsoft
was going to enforce the one device rule, I accepted that, and
continued using their product, buying another copy, because I learned
from it.

So just as I said. Oh dear, MS can catch me out, I\'ll be a good boy and pay up. so nothing to do with morals then.

No, read what the hell I\'m writing, I *learned from* all this. Casual
copying *isn\'t* the same thing as not buying it at all, but even so, I
learned not to continue doing it. I bought another copy. It\'s not
hard to understand this.


When did you ever buy your copy?

I didn\'t. I have never ever paid for Windows.

So how is that anything but shameless theft? I did wrongly believe I
could install one legal copy on two computers, but I learned better.
But you never paid for any copy.


because of the problems
we encountered. I ended up buying *another* copy. When did you
correct your error for using *actual* warez, by paying for a license?
Answer: not to date, and given your callous attitude, probably never.

Why should I? I save thousands. I scoff at your stupidity paying for what you don\'t have to. I enjoy the extra cash not wasted on software. You are paying for my software. You lose. Thanks for making my life more fun.

And there it is. You are shameless.

Your point being?

My point is that you seem to think it\'s like a game. You think that
Microsoft is this corporate entity to be taken advantage of, because
you\'re the little guy, but in reality, if no one paid for software,
you\'d be stuck with only free software. You\'re trying to have it both
ways.

No, I know there are morons like you that will pay for me.

But that\'s the thing, I *didn\'t* pay for you, I paid for my copy. It\'s
a delusion to think Microsoft is somehow getting anything for your
copy. The $200 I paid for Windows Pro really is the value of one
copy, they are taking a loss when people pirate it. You may not care,
but it\'s tantamount to theft. It\'s not possible to support commercial
software without money. They have to develop updates and new
versions. If no one bought Windows, you\'d be stuck with Linux.

--
Joel Crump
 
J

Joel

Guest
David Brooks <DGB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
On 30/04/2022 09:15, Commander Kinsey wrote:

No, I know there are morons like you that will pay for me.

You should apologise to Joel

I don\'t want an apology, really - what I want is for the Commander to
acknowledge that there is something wrong with what he\'s doing. I\'ve
been hearing the same BS from warezers for decades, and it always
seemed ridiculous to me, frankly. I don\'t understand how someone
could think pirating an *operating system* is sensible. The OS has
*complete* control of the machine. It\'s playing with fire.

--
Joel Crump
 
C

Commander Kinsey

Guest
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:25:39 +0100, Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote:

David Brooks <DGB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
On 30/04/2022 09:15, Commander Kinsey wrote:

No, I know there are morons like you that will pay for me.

You should apologise to Joel

I don\'t want an apology, really - what I want is for the Commander to
acknowledge that there is something wrong with what he\'s doing.

Only if you acknowledge that you deliberately broke the law and only stopped because you realised MS could catch you out.

And also admit that you\'re rubbish at piracy because you didn\'t get away with it and I did.

I\'ve been hearing the same BS from warezers for decades, and it always
seemed ridiculous to me, frankly. I don\'t understand how someone
could think pirating an *operating system* is sensible. The OS has
*complete* control of the machine. It\'s playing with fire.

Only if you don\'t know what you\'re doing.
 
J

John Walliker

Guest
On Saturday, 30 April 2022 at 11:22:40 UTC+1, Joel wrote:

> If no one bought Windows, you\'d be stuck with Linux.

That would be a major improvement.

John
 
C

Commander Kinsey

Guest
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:22:31 +0100, Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote:

\"Commander Kinsey\" <CK1@nospam.com> wrote:

\"Casually copying\" is your way of saying \"warez\". You did the same as me, so shut the fuck up.

Wrong. My mom
bought a retail copy of the WinXP upgrade, and we
installed it on two computers *very briefly*,

You broke the rules. You are a pirate, welcome to the club.

I had never had a problem doing that when we bought the Win98 upgrade.
They got more aggressive about it when XP came out. I learned from
that, like a mature person, even though what they did to my mom\'s
laptop was fucked up. And I did end up buying another copy. You,
however, are shameless about your piracy.

You stopped pirating not because you thought it was wrong, but because you got caught, that\'s pathetic.

That is not entirely true, actually. Once I realized that Microsoft
was going to enforce the one device rule, I accepted that, and
continued using their product, buying another copy, because I learned
from it.

So just as I said. Oh dear, MS can catch me out, I\'ll be a good boy and pay up. so nothing to do with morals then.

No, read what the hell I\'m writing, I *learned from* all this. Casual
copying *isn\'t* the same thing as not buying it at all, but even so, I
learned not to continue doing it. I bought another copy. It\'s not
hard to understand this.

So you only stole one and not two. Big deal.

When did you ever buy your copy?

I didn\'t. I have never ever paid for Windows.

So how is that anything but shameless theft? I did wrongly believe I
could install one legal copy on two computers, but I learned better.
But you never paid for any copy.

Theft deprives somebody of something. If I couldn\'t pirate Windows, I\'d use Linux.

because of the problems
we encountered. I ended up buying *another* copy. When did you
correct your error for using *actual* warez, by paying for a license?
Answer: not to date, and given your callous attitude, probably never.

Why should I? I save thousands. I scoff at your stupidity paying for what you don\'t have to. I enjoy the extra cash not wasted on software. You are paying for my software. You lose. Thanks for making my life more fun.

And there it is. You are shameless.

Your point being?

My point is that you seem to think it\'s like a game. You think that
Microsoft is this corporate entity to be taken advantage of, because
you\'re the little guy, but in reality, if no one paid for software,
you\'d be stuck with only free software. You\'re trying to have it both
ways.

No, I know there are morons like you that will pay for me.

But that\'s the thing, I *didn\'t* pay for you, I paid for my copy. It\'s
a delusion to think Microsoft is somehow getting anything for your
copy. The $200 I paid for Windows Pro really is the value of one
copy, they are taking a loss when people pirate it. You may not care,
but it\'s tantamount to theft. It\'s not possible to support commercial
software without money. They have to develop updates and new
versions. If no one bought Windows, you\'d be stuck with Linux.

If I didn\'t copy it, your price would have been lower, ha!
 
C

Commander Kinsey

Guest
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:31:56 +0100, John Walliker <jrwalliker@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday, 30 April 2022 at 11:22:40 UTC+1, Joel wrote:

If no one bought Windows, you\'d be stuck with Linux.

That would be a major improvement.

No it wouldn\'t. I tried Linux twice. It took me 8 hours to install one program and fail to configure it. First of all it refused to run because it didn\'t know an executable was a program and thought it should open in a text editor which couldn\'t handle such a large file. After messing around, and having to resort to the command line and a google search on several occasions, I got it to launch, again having to use the command line. Then there were missing libraries, which I had to find myself. Then I wanted to change something in the program\'s ini file. But I\'m not allowed to access that file, it\'s a system protected file. It\'s my own computer!!! So log on as root? Oh no, that\'s against the law. Found hundreds of people asking how to do it, but every response was either \"don\'t\" or \"you can\'t\". Bugger that, I\'m using Windows.
 
J

Joel

Guest
\"Commander Kinsey\" <CK1@nospam.com> wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:25:39 +0100, Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote:
David Brooks <DGB@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
On 30/04/2022 09:15, Commander Kinsey wrote:

No, I know there are morons like you that will pay for me.

You should apologise to Joel

I don\'t want an apology, really - what I want is for the Commander to
acknowledge that there is something wrong with what he\'s doing.

Only if you acknowledge that you deliberately broke the law and only stopped because you realised MS could catch you out.

I was wrong in thinking it would be OK to install one copy on two
computers. I have not been unclear about that. I learned from it.


And also admit that you\'re rubbish at piracy because you didn\'t get away with it and I did.

Oh, yes, I definitely admit being bad at piracy, because I don\'t trust
warez. Casual copying isn\'t quite the same thing, but I also haven\'t
done that in a long time. But as far as thinking that using warez is
somehow clever, I don\'t, I think it\'s risky at best.


I\'ve been hearing the same BS from warezers for decades, and it always
seemed ridiculous to me, frankly. I don\'t understand how someone
could think pirating an *operating system* is sensible. The OS has
*complete* control of the machine. It\'s playing with fire.

Only if you don\'t know what you\'re doing.

But this is the point: Microsoft *does* know you pirated it. They\'re
tolerating it, but you can\'t claim to have somehow fooled them.

--
Joel Crump
 
J

Joel

Guest
\"Commander Kinsey\" <CK1@nospam.com> wrote:

When did you ever buy your copy?

I didn\'t. I have never ever paid for Windows.

So how is that anything but shameless theft? I did wrongly believe I
could install one legal copy on two computers, but I learned better.
But you never paid for any copy.

Theft deprives somebody of something. If I couldn\'t pirate Windows, I\'d use Linux.

You *are* depriving Microsoft of the cost of supporting your pirated
copy of their OS. It costs money to update it.


My point is that you seem to think it\'s like a game. You think that
Microsoft is this corporate entity to be taken advantage of, because
you\'re the little guy, but in reality, if no one paid for software,
you\'d be stuck with only free software. You\'re trying to have it both
ways.

No, I know there are morons like you that will pay for me.

But that\'s the thing, I *didn\'t* pay for you, I paid for my copy. It\'s
a delusion to think Microsoft is somehow getting anything for your
copy. The $200 I paid for Windows Pro really is the value of one
copy, they are taking a loss when people pirate it. You may not care,
but it\'s tantamount to theft. It\'s not possible to support commercial
software without money. They have to develop updates and new
versions. If no one bought Windows, you\'d be stuck with Linux.

If I didn\'t copy it, your price would have been lower, ha!

Nope. $200 is the true retail value of Windows Pro. It is absolutely
a good deal, for what one gets, I could\'ve saved about $50 by getting
the OEM version, but it was simpler to just buy the retail product key
online, and make my own media to install from.

--
Joel Crump
 
J

John Walliker

Guest
On Saturday, 30 April 2022 at 11:36:32 UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:31:56 +0100, John Walliker <jrwal...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday, 30 April 2022 at 11:22:40 UTC+1, Joel wrote:

If no one bought Windows, you\'d be stuck with Linux.

That would be a major improvement.
No it wouldn\'t. I tried Linux twice. It took me 8 hours to install one program and fail to
configure it. First of all it refused to run because it didn\'t know an executable was a program

Do you mean a file with a .exe suffix or one with the executable bit set?

and thought it should open in a text editor which couldn\'t handle such a large file. After messing
around, and having to resort to the command line and a google search on several occasions,
I got it to launch, again having to use the command line. Then there were missing libraries,
which I had to find myself. Then I wanted to change something in the program\'s ini file. But I\'m
not allowed to access that file, it\'s a system protected file. It\'s my own computer!!! So log on as
root? Oh no, that\'s against the law. Found hundreds of people asking how to do it, but every
response was either \"don\'t\" or \"you can\'t\". Bugger that, I\'m using Windows.

My latest fun with Windows was a recent update which failed. I couldn\'t do any more updates
until this one had succeeded. I have spent hours searching for fixes, including various
different recommendations from Microsoft, none of which work. One of the Microsoft
recommended fixes broke it even more, so the machine is unusable at the moment. The only
thing left is to extract the data I want from it and re-install Windows. I\'ll stick with Linux Mint
(and Rocky for some servers) for as many things as possible. If a file needs to be made
executable there is no need to use the command line - just click on an option in the file
permissions window. I\'ve never had a problem becoming root either.

John
 
C

Commander Kinsey

Guest
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 14:53:56 +0100, John Walliker <jrwalliker@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday, 30 April 2022 at 11:36:32 UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:31:56 +0100, John Walliker <jrwal...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday, 30 April 2022 at 11:22:40 UTC+1, Joel wrote:

If no one bought Windows, you\'d be stuck with Linux.

That would be a major improvement.
No it wouldn\'t. I tried Linux twice. It took me 8 hours to install one program and fail to
configure it. First of all it refused to run because it didn\'t know an executable was a program

Do you mean a file with a .exe suffix or one with the executable bit set?

Now you see that nonsense doesn\'t happen with windows. Look I just downloaded the file from the website ok? If it doesn\'t run as is, something is fucked.

and thought it should open in a text editor which couldn\'t handle such a large file. After messing
around, and having to resort to the command line and a google search on several occasions,
I got it to launch, again having to use the command line. Then there were missing libraries,
which I had to find myself. Then I wanted to change something in the program\'s ini file. But I\'m
not allowed to access that file, it\'s a system protected file. It\'s my own computer!!! So log on as
root? Oh no, that\'s against the law. Found hundreds of people asking how to do it, but every
response was either \"don\'t\" or \"you can\'t\". Bugger that, I\'m using Windows.

My latest fun with Windows was a recent update which failed. I couldn\'t do any more updates
until this one had succeeded. I have spent hours searching for fixes, including various
different recommendations from Microsoft, none of which work. One of the Microsoft
recommended fixes broke it even more, so the machine is unusable at the moment. The only
thing left is to extract the data I want from it and re-install Windows. I\'ll stick with Linux Mint
(and Rocky for some servers) for as many things as possible. If a file needs to be made
executable there is no need to use the command line - just click on an option in the file
permissions window. I\'ve never had a problem becoming root either.

Strangely using 20 of my own computers and a few thousand at two places of work, I have never ever broken a windows update. You just click yes and it installs it. How you managed to do that wrong I have no idea.
 
G

Gerhard Hoffmann

Guest
Am 01.05.22 um 00:13 schrieb Commander Kinsey:

Strangely using 20 of my own computers and a few thousand at two places
of work, I have never ever broken a windows update.  You just click yes
and it installs it.  How you managed to do  that wrong I have no idea.

Yes, and when it decides it is the time to reboot at 4 am
it kills my QuestaSim run with the regression tests.
15 hours of simulation time gone.

I limit a Windows machine to a virtual VMware thing.
No internet access, no reboot. No more begging to
postpone a reboot.
Just a few hours, please, pretty please?

Gerhard
 
R

Ricky

Guest
On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 6:13:15 PM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 14:53:56 +0100, John Walliker <jrwal...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday, 30 April 2022 at 11:36:32 UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:31:56 +0100, John Walliker <jrwal...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday, 30 April 2022 at 11:22:40 UTC+1, Joel wrote:

If no one bought Windows, you\'d be stuck with Linux.

That would be a major improvement.
No it wouldn\'t. I tried Linux twice. It took me 8 hours to install one program and fail to
configure it. First of all it refused to run because it didn\'t know an executable was a program

Do you mean a file with a .exe suffix or one with the executable bit set?
Now you see that nonsense doesn\'t happen with windows. Look I just downloaded the file from the website ok? If it doesn\'t run as is, something is fucked.
and thought it should open in a text editor which couldn\'t handle such a large file. After messing
around, and having to resort to the command line and a google search on several occasions,
I got it to launch, again having to use the command line. Then there were missing libraries,
which I had to find myself. Then I wanted to change something in the program\'s ini file. But I\'m
not allowed to access that file, it\'s a system protected file. It\'s my own computer!!! So log on as
root? Oh no, that\'s against the law. Found hundreds of people asking how to do it, but every
response was either \"don\'t\" or \"you can\'t\". Bugger that, I\'m using Windows.

My latest fun with Windows was a recent update which failed. I couldn\'t do any more updates
until this one had succeeded. I have spent hours searching for fixes, including various
different recommendations from Microsoft, none of which work. One of the Microsoft
recommended fixes broke it even more, so the machine is unusable at the moment. The only
thing left is to extract the data I want from it and re-install Windows.. I\'ll stick with Linux Mint
(and Rocky for some servers) for as many things as possible. If a file needs to be made
executable there is no need to use the command line - just click on an option in the file
permissions window. I\'ve never had a problem becoming root either.
Strangely using 20 of my own computers and a few thousand at two places of work, I have never ever broken a windows update. You just click yes and it installs it. How you managed to do that wrong I have no idea.

This is the problem. You have little understanding of the problem. You think updating software is the same as turning on a lightbulb because it has always worked for you. MS did an update some years ago where they were bricking computers left and right. They offered advice, but took no responsibility. Some people were able to recover their computers, some didn\'t.

One must always be cognizant of the fact that a PC is a finite state machine with the number of states as 2**(billions of memory bits, plus the many CPU internal bits). That\'s a hard machine to diagnose or to modify.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
 
C

Commander Kinsey

Guest
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 23:34:10 +0100, Gerhard Hoffmann <dk4xp@arcor.de> wrote:

Am 01.05.22 um 00:13 schrieb Commander Kinsey:

Strangely using 20 of my own computers and a few thousand at two places
of work, I have never ever broken a windows update. You just click yes
and it installs it. How you managed to do that wrong I have no idea.

Yes, and when it decides it is the time to reboot at 4 am
it kills my QuestaSim run with the regression tests.
15 hours of simulation time gone.

I limit a Windows machine to a virtual VMware thing.
No internet access, no reboot. No more begging to
postpone a reboot.
Just a few hours, please, pretty please?

This is a thing millions of people complain about. It has cost people money. It doesn\'t even save open documents. Nobody knows why MS is so forceful with updates, it doesn\'t benefit them whatsoever. But I just switched them off. I check manually every few months.
 
C

Commander Kinsey

Guest
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 23:37:23 +0100, Ricky <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 6:13:15 PM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 14:53:56 +0100, John Walliker <jrwal...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday, 30 April 2022 at 11:36:32 UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:31:56 +0100, John Walliker <jrwal...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday, 30 April 2022 at 11:22:40 UTC+1, Joel wrote:

If no one bought Windows, you\'d be stuck with Linux.

That would be a major improvement.
No it wouldn\'t. I tried Linux twice. It took me 8 hours to install one program and fail to
configure it. First of all it refused to run because it didn\'t know an executable was a program

Do you mean a file with a .exe suffix or one with the executable bit set?
Now you see that nonsense doesn\'t happen with windows. Look I just downloaded the file from the website ok? If it doesn\'t run as is, something is fucked.
and thought it should open in a text editor which couldn\'t handle such a large file. After messing
around, and having to resort to the command line and a google search on several occasions,
I got it to launch, again having to use the command line. Then there were missing libraries,
which I had to find myself. Then I wanted to change something in the program\'s ini file. But I\'m
not allowed to access that file, it\'s a system protected file. It\'s my own computer!!! So log on as
root? Oh no, that\'s against the law. Found hundreds of people asking how to do it, but every
response was either \"don\'t\" or \"you can\'t\". Bugger that, I\'m using Windows.

My latest fun with Windows was a recent update which failed. I couldn\'t do any more updates
until this one had succeeded. I have spent hours searching for fixes, including various
different recommendations from Microsoft, none of which work. One of the Microsoft
recommended fixes broke it even more, so the machine is unusable at the moment. The only
thing left is to extract the data I want from it and re-install Windows. I\'ll stick with Linux Mint
(and Rocky for some servers) for as many things as possible. If a file needs to be made
executable there is no need to use the command line - just click on an option in the file
permissions window. I\'ve never had a problem becoming root either.
Strangely using 20 of my own computers and a few thousand at two places of work, I have never ever broken a windows update. You just click yes and it installs it. How you managed to do that wrong I have no idea.

This is the problem. You have little understanding of the problem. You think updating software is the same as turning on a lightbulb because it has always worked for you. MS did an update some years ago where they were bricking computers left and right. They offered advice, but took no responsibility. Some people were able to recover their computers, some didn\'t.

One must always be cognizant of the fact that a PC is a finite state machine with the number of states as 2**(billions of memory bits, plus the many CPU internal bits). That\'s a hard machine to diagnose or to modify.

If it\'s broken 0 of my 3000 machines, it\'s either very rare, or it something stupid you\'re doing. 3000 is a big enough data set to call the problem insignificant.
 
R

Ricky

Guest
On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 7:05:00 PM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 23:37:23 +0100, Ricky <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 6:13:15 PM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 14:53:56 +0100, John Walliker <jrwal...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday, 30 April 2022 at 11:36:32 UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:31:56 +0100, John Walliker <jrwal...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday, 30 April 2022 at 11:22:40 UTC+1, Joel wrote:

If no one bought Windows, you\'d be stuck with Linux.

That would be a major improvement.
No it wouldn\'t. I tried Linux twice. It took me 8 hours to install one program and fail to
configure it. First of all it refused to run because it didn\'t know an executable was a program

Do you mean a file with a .exe suffix or one with the executable bit set?
Now you see that nonsense doesn\'t happen with windows. Look I just downloaded the file from the website ok? If it doesn\'t run as is, something is fucked.
and thought it should open in a text editor which couldn\'t handle such a large file. After messing
around, and having to resort to the command line and a google search on several occasions,
I got it to launch, again having to use the command line. Then there were missing libraries,
which I had to find myself. Then I wanted to change something in the program\'s ini file. But I\'m
not allowed to access that file, it\'s a system protected file. It\'s my own computer!!! So log on as
root? Oh no, that\'s against the law. Found hundreds of people asking how to do it, but every
response was either \"don\'t\" or \"you can\'t\". Bugger that, I\'m using Windows.

My latest fun with Windows was a recent update which failed. I couldn\'t do any more updates
until this one had succeeded. I have spent hours searching for fixes, including various
different recommendations from Microsoft, none of which work. One of the Microsoft
recommended fixes broke it even more, so the machine is unusable at the moment. The only
thing left is to extract the data I want from it and re-install Windows. I\'ll stick with Linux Mint
(and Rocky for some servers) for as many things as possible. If a file needs to be made
executable there is no need to use the command line - just click on an option in the file
permissions window. I\'ve never had a problem becoming root either.
Strangely using 20 of my own computers and a few thousand at two places of work, I have never ever broken a windows update. You just click yes and it installs it. How you managed to do that wrong I have no idea.

This is the problem. You have little understanding of the problem. You think updating software is the same as turning on a lightbulb because it has always worked for you. MS did an update some years ago where they were bricking computers left and right. They offered advice, but took no responsibility. Some people were able to recover their computers, some didn\'t.

One must always be cognizant of the fact that a PC is a finite state machine with the number of states as 2**(billions of memory bits, plus the many CPU internal bits). That\'s a hard machine to diagnose or to modify.
If it\'s broken 0 of my 3000 machines, it\'s either very rare, or it something stupid you\'re doing. 3000 is a big enough data set to call the problem insignificant.

Yes, other people\'s problems are always insignificant. I think we understand you pretty well now.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
 
C

Commander Kinsey

Guest
On Sun, 01 May 2022 00:36:16 +0100, Ricky <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 7:05:00 PM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 23:37:23 +0100, Ricky <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 6:13:15 PM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 14:53:56 +0100, John Walliker <jrwal...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday, 30 April 2022 at 11:36:32 UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:31:56 +0100, John Walliker <jrwal...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday, 30 April 2022 at 11:22:40 UTC+1, Joel wrote:

If no one bought Windows, you\'d be stuck with Linux.

That would be a major improvement.
No it wouldn\'t. I tried Linux twice. It took me 8 hours to install one program and fail to
configure it. First of all it refused to run because it didn\'t know an executable was a program

Do you mean a file with a .exe suffix or one with the executable bit set?
Now you see that nonsense doesn\'t happen with windows. Look I just downloaded the file from the website ok? If it doesn\'t run as is, something is fucked.
and thought it should open in a text editor which couldn\'t handle such a large file. After messing
around, and having to resort to the command line and a google search on several occasions,
I got it to launch, again having to use the command line. Then there were missing libraries,
which I had to find myself. Then I wanted to change something in the program\'s ini file. But I\'m
not allowed to access that file, it\'s a system protected file. It\'s my own computer!!! So log on as
root? Oh no, that\'s against the law. Found hundreds of people asking how to do it, but every
response was either \"don\'t\" or \"you can\'t\". Bugger that, I\'m using Windows.

My latest fun with Windows was a recent update which failed. I couldn\'t do any more updates
until this one had succeeded. I have spent hours searching for fixes, including various
different recommendations from Microsoft, none of which work. One of the Microsoft
recommended fixes broke it even more, so the machine is unusable at the moment. The only
thing left is to extract the data I want from it and re-install Windows. I\'ll stick with Linux Mint
(and Rocky for some servers) for as many things as possible. If a file needs to be made
executable there is no need to use the command line - just click on an option in the file
permissions window. I\'ve never had a problem becoming root either.
Strangely using 20 of my own computers and a few thousand at two places of work, I have never ever broken a windows update. You just click yes and it installs it. How you managed to do that wrong I have no idea.

This is the problem. You have little understanding of the problem. You think updating software is the same as turning on a lightbulb because it has always worked for you. MS did an update some years ago where they were bricking computers left and right. They offered advice, but took no responsibility. Some people were able to recover their computers, some didn\'t.

One must always be cognizant of the fact that a PC is a finite state machine with the number of states as 2**(billions of memory bits, plus the many CPU internal bits). That\'s a hard machine to diagnose or to modify.
If it\'s broken 0 of my 3000 machines, it\'s either very rare, or it something stupid you\'re doing. 3000 is a big enough data set to call the problem insignificant.
Yes, other people\'s problems are always insignificant. I think we understand you pretty well now.

I see you have a poor grasp of English comprehension. If 3000 machines in my care had no problems, 0 machines in my care had problems, and there\'s no reason to believe anyone else is more likely to have problems than me, that\'s a bloody small number of people who will have problems. Nothing to do with selfishness.
 
R

rbowman

Guest
On 04/30/2022 05:03 PM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 23:34:10 +0100, Gerhard Hoffmann <dk4xp@arcor.de
wrote:

Am 01.05.22 um 00:13 schrieb Commander Kinsey:

Strangely using 20 of my own computers and a few thousand at two places
of work, I have never ever broken a windows update. You just click yes
and it installs it. How you managed to do that wrong I have no idea.

Yes, and when it decides it is the time to reboot at 4 am
it kills my QuestaSim run with the regression tests.
15 hours of simulation time gone.

I limit a Windows machine to a virtual VMware thing.
No internet access, no reboot. No more begging to
postpone a reboot.
Just a few hours, please, pretty please?

This is a thing millions of people complain about. It has cost people
money. It doesn\'t even save open documents. Nobody knows why MS is so
forceful with updates, it doesn\'t benefit them whatsoever. But I just
switched them off. I check manually every few months.

We had a client who complained about our system crashing at around 2 AM.
It was Windows Server rebooting for updates. You can easily turn
automatic updates off (at least with that generation of Server) but why
MS though the default should be automatic is beyond me.

The downside is many of our clients NEVER update server. When push comes
to shove and the last few years of updates have to be applied there may
be an hour of two of downtime.
 

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Top