The Biden Administration is winging it about electrification...

F

Flyguy

They have NO CLUE what will be required of the electrical grid to support the quantity of EVs envisioned by these idiots. How much increase in grid capacity do YOU think will be required? Post your answers below.

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 3:38:16 PM UTC+10, Flyguy wrote:
> They have NO CLUE what will be required of the electrical grid to support the quantity of EVs envisioned by these idiots. How much increase in grid capacity do YOU think will be required? Post your answers below.

Why bother? The answer is well known, and was posted here years ago - about 30%. An instant google search throws up this

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesmorris/2021/11/13/electricity-grids-can-handle-electric-vehicles-easily--they-just-need-proper-management/?sh=e6e6bc578629

Forbes has more recent estimates and it is a bit lower for the US and appreciably lower for the UK.

So Flyguy is the same ignorant idiot that he has always been. He seems to feel this compulsion to advertise his rapidly advancing dementia, and waste bandwidth in the process. He doesn\'t need to bother. We\'ve known that he is hopeless twit for quite a while now.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

On 30/07/2022 08:51, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
They have NO CLUE what will be required of the electrical grid to support the quantity of EVs envisioned by these idiots. How much increase in grid capacity do YOU think will be required? Post your answers below.

Why bother? The answer is well known, and was posted here years ago - about 30%. An instant google search throws up this

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesmorris/2021/11/13/electricity-grids-can-handle-electric-vehicles-easily--they-just-need-proper-management/?sh=e6e6bc578629

Forbes has more recent estimates and it is a bit lower for the US and appreciably lower for the UK.

The UK electrification is something of a joke. We can barely make enough
electricity to provide present needs today. In fact during the recent
heatwave they had to buy electricity from Belgium on the spot market at
a price of 50x normal to keep the lights on in London and the SE.

https://www.energylivenews.com/2022/07/26/uk-bought-electricity-from-belgium-at-record-prices-last-week-to-keep-the-lights-on/

I expect they would have allowed the grid to shed load had it been short
supply in the North but London and the Home Counties are sacrosanct.
So Flyguy is the same ignorant idiot that he has always been. He seems to feel this compulsion to advertise his rapidly advancing dementia, and waste bandwidth in the process. He doesn\'t need to bother. We\'ve known that he is hopeless twit for quite a while now.
He has a fair point at least in the UK where a lack of investment in
electricity generation combined with the dash for gas and the
mothballing of major gas storage facilities leaves us incredibly exposed
to the recent fluctuations on spot market prices. Total UK gas storage
capacity is between 7 and 10 days at most (other EU countries have
between 30-90 days storage capacity depending on time of year).

https://www.newstatesman.com/chart-of-the-day/2021/09/how-the-uks-low-gas-storage-capacity-leaves-it-vulnerable

We could be headed for a very interesting winter in Europe when/if Putin
turns off the Nordstream gas tap completely (as I suspect he will do).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Flyguy <soar2morrow@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:92a7b429-0734-4449-b576-04c2f1aa710fn@googlegroups.com:

They have NO CLUE what will be required of the electrical grid to
support the quantity of EVs envisioned by these idiots. How much
increase in grid capacity do YOU think will be required? Post your
answers below.

I think you are an abject idiot.

What do you think the charge rate is on an EV? Do you even know?

The grid supports single source megwatt loads in business hours.
Pretty sure it can support distributed load sub-station loads in the
off peak hours.

The administration that has no clue is the one running in that
shitpot you call a skull cavity.

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 1:38:16 AM UTC-4, Flyguy wrote:
> They have NO CLUE what will be required of the electrical grid to support the quantity of EVs envisioned by these idiots. How much increase in grid capacity do YOU think will be required? Post your answers below.

They have no clue? Really? Do you really think the U.S. government and industry are basically doing nothing that isn\'t publicized in the media for mentally defectives that you watch?

DoE (Dept Energy for you) is on it. They formed and coordinated a Grid Integration Tech Team (GITT) and Integrated Systems Analysis Tech Team (ISATT) to tap into the best and most relevant knowledge about the subject. As you might expect, the teams have representatives of the electrical power generation industry as they just might have a smidge to do with the actual implementation, don\'t you think? Looks like the following participated:
American Electric Power,
Argonne National Laboratory, BP America, Chevron Corporation, DTE Energy, Duke Energy,
the Electric Power Research Institute, ExxonMobil Corporation, FCA US LLC, Ford Motor
Company, General Motors, the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Oak Ridge National
Laboratory, Idaho National Laboratory, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Phillips 66
Company, Shell Oil Products U.S., Southern California Edison Company, U.S. Council for
Automotive Research LLC, the U.S. Department of Energy.
And each of these participants further tap into fairly vast resources specific to their area of expertise.

You can read a summary of their work here:
https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2019/12/f69/GITT%20ISATT%20EVs%20at%20Scale%20Grid%20Summary%20Report%20FINAL%20Nov2019.pdf

We\'ll eagerly await your usual highly detailed and fact based analysis of their work. I\'m sure it contains manifold laws you will relish exposing.

On Friday, July 29, 2022 at 10:38:16 PM UTC-7, Flyguy wrote:

When i am charging, i am not using the A/C or heating in the office or at home. So, the net electricity usage is the same. EV also use much less electricity to heat or cool.

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 6:12:52 PM UTC+10, Martin Brown wrote:

The UK electrification is something of a joke. We can barely make enough

https://www.energylivenews.com/2022/07/26/uk-bought-electricity-from-belgium-at-record-prices-last-week-to-keep-the-lights-on/

The current UK administration does go in for broad-spectrum incompetence. It wouldn\'t be all that difficult to clean up electricity generation in the UK but with a clown like Boris Johnson in charge it isn\'t going to happen until he is replaced, and probably by somebody who doesn\'t appeal to the UK Conservative Party voters. When I worked in the UK - 1971 to 1993 - upper-class twits were an occupational hazard. You had to work around them to get things done.

Brexit does seem to have made them even more over-confident than they were when I was working there. With any luck the rest of the population will put them back where they belong, as a kind of purely decorative animated bunting, letting them affirm national identity without actually doing anything.

<snip>

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 22:38:13 -0700 (PDT), Flyguy
<soar2morrow@yahoo.com> wrote:

>They have NO CLUE what will be required of the electrical grid to support the quantity of EVs envisioned by these idiots. How much increase in grid capacity do YOU think will be required? Post your answers below.

For your own calculations to get a ballpark value:

How much do you drive with your car every year ?

Divide that by 365 to get how much you drive each day on average.
Divide that by 24 to get how far you drive each hour on average.

If you have an EV, check out how far you can drive with 1 kWh.

Divide the average hour distance with how far you get with 1 kWh. This
will give the average charging power which is on for 24 hours each day
for every days of the year. In most cases, the average charging power
is well below 0.5 kW (500 W). This is the additional power drawn by
your house.

Compare those figures if an extra heater/cooler is added to your
house. Does the network crash by that addition ?

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 8:23:17 AM UTC-7, upsid...@downunder.com wrote:
soar2...@yahoo.com> wrote:

your house.

Good idea.

I drove around 5000 miles, or 1300 kwhr per year. Around 70 days of a 1kw room heater. May be couple of weeks of whole house heating or cooling.

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 1:38:16 AM UTC-4, Flyguy wrote:

When all cars are BEVs, it will result in a 20% increase in total electrical generation from today\'s levels.

More than 95% of BEV charging is done at night, during the slack time of electrical demand. This 95+% will not require any additional generation or transmission capability. The remaining <5% of 20% or <1% of charging will be at peak time. So the existing grid will need to grow by 1% to accommodate charging that will happen at peak time.

I think we can manage that.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 4:12:52 AM UTC-4, Martin Brown wrote:

The UK electrification is something of a joke.

That has long since been established. I especially like the fact that the UK is building nuclear electricity generation facilities, which come on line years late and hugely over budget. Definitely the smart move when you are already balanced on a knife edge.

We can barely make enough

I\'m glad I spend most of my time in a place that seems advanced compared to the UK, Puerto Rico.

He has a fair point at least in the UK where a lack of investment in
electricity generation combined with the dash for gas and the
mothballing of major gas storage facilities leaves us incredibly exposed
to the recent fluctuations on spot market prices. Total UK gas storage
capacity is between 7 and 10 days at most (other EU countries have
between 30-90 days storage capacity depending on time of year).

https://www.newstatesman.com/chart-of-the-day/2021/09/how-the-uks-low-gas-storage-capacity-leaves-it-vulnerable

So the UK is not only in a bad position, they are moving backwards? Wow! It\'s hard to imagine the UK ever ruling the waves!

We could be headed for a very interesting winter in Europe when/if Putin
turns off the Nordstream gas tap completely (as I suspect he will do).

Good luck! You are gonna need it!!!

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 9:59:33 AM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:
When i am charging, i am not using the A/C or heating in the office or at home. So, the net electricity usage is the same. EV also use much less electricity to heat or cool.

Of course not. You are somewhere along the highway looking for a tow! That\'s YOUR idea of charging a BEV. LOL

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

In article <a7c42310-3b41-45f9-a4ec-f3dc6a51d0dan@googlegroups.com>,
gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com says...
When all cars are BEVs, it will result in a 20% increase in total electrical generation from today\'s levels.

More than 95% of BEV charging is done at night, during the slack time of electrical demand. This 95+% will not require any additional generation or transmission capability. The remaining <5% of 20% or <1% of charging will be at peak time. So the existing grid will need to grow by 1% to accommodate charging that will happen at
peak time.

While the cars are recharged at night, where are all the solar
generators going to get the sun light to power them ?

Does the wind blow at night like it does in the daytime ? That I do not
know.

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 8:41:27 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:
Of course not. You are somewhere along the highway looking for a tow! That\'s YOUR idea of charging a BEV. LOL

Not anymore. I have 70 to 80 miles range. Enough to escape from LA and LV (while skipping Jean and Primm).

The Terrible Station at Jean is truly terrible. On my way in, it charged me $13 for around 10kwhr. On my way out (with extended battery), both chargers were broken.

I drove 50 miles plus 2000 feet up to the top of the (local) world with 16% SOC. Still have few miles left. 10% SOC is drop dead state.

I though you are not reading my posts anymore.

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 8:48:32 AM UTC-7, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article <a7c42310-3b41-45f9...@googlegroups.com>,
gnuarm.del...@gmail.com says...

More than 95% of BEV charging is done at night, during the slack time of electrical demand. This 95+% will not require any additional generation or transmission capability. The remaining <5% of 20% or <1% of charging will be at peak time. So the existing grid will need to grow by 1% to accommodate charging that will happen at
peak time.

know.

Yes it does. Wind blows 24/7.

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 11:23:17 AM UTC-4, upsid...@downunder.com wrote:

your house.

It\'s not actually useful to calculate BEV charging as a 24 hour load, mostly because it isn\'t. Many people won\'t even charge every day. But the average demand from BEVs will look much like the inverse of the demand load curve for all other uses. There will be some use during the day from people charging while driving on trips, but mostly, the demand for charging BEVs will be at night.

The average daily demand will be 10 kWh per day (14,000 miles per year). So 1 kW for 10 hours at night would do the job just fine. 1 kW is about the load a typical microwave oven uses. If you average it over the full day, like what you did, it is about the same as a refrigerator or a hot water heater. However, that\'s not to say plugging in 250 million new refrigerators would not be a problem for the grid.

The important point is, this level of use, can be easily accommodated using the slack resources at night. 20% addition to the total demand load can easily be done during the slack time. It\'s literally a no brainer.

--

Rick C.

-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 11:48:32 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article <a7c42310-3b41-45f9...@googlegroups.com>,
gnuarm.del...@gmail.com says...

peak time.

know.

Lol.

If you want to use solar power to charge your car, then charge it during the day when the duck curve is low. No one is stopping you.

You *do* have a BEV, right?

--

Rick C.

+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 11:29:30 AM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:

your house.

Good idea.

I drove around 5000 miles, or 1300 kwhr per year. Around 70 days of a 1kw room heater. May be couple of weeks of whole house heating or cooling.

Does that include the energy used in all the tows?

--

Rick C.

++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 8:55:17 AM UTC-7, Ed Lee wrote:
On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 8:41:27 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:
Not anymore. I have 70 to 80 miles range. Enough to escape from LA and LV (while skipping Jean and Primm).

The Terrible Station at Jean is truly terrible. On my way in, it charged me $13 for around 10kwhr. On my way out (with extended battery), both chargers were broken.

By the way, EA chargers are still under construction at Primm, but i am not to sure about the CDM plug working from EA. GM/Pilot/Evgo will be building some soon. But Evgo is the most expensive one with $0.6 per kwhr. I might still skip Jean/ Primm when they are done

I drove 50 miles plus 2000 feet up to the top of the (local) world with 16% SOC. Still have few miles left. 10% SOC is drop dead state.

I though you are not reading my posts anymore.

On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 9:02:11 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:
On Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 11:29:30 AM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:

your house.

Good idea.

Does that include the energy used in all the tows?

Yes. I had around 50 miles (including round trip tow trucks) of towing. So, less than one day of room heating.

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back