tandberg 3600xd reel to reel power problem...

J

Jango Jingo

I picked this 3600xd up at a garage sale, brought it home, plugged it in. It played my long stored away reels nicely. It was so nice to hear them again after all these years. When rewinding or fast forwarding, the reels did not stop turning when switched to stop. I took it to a trusted, though expensive, vintage repair service. The technician said that when he opened the front plate, there was evidence of a disintegrated brake belt, with cork dust everywhere. He informed me that he could not source one and could not fix the deck. I brought it home and stared at it for a year or so before I finally opened the face plate to see if there was any way I could cob something in the way of repair. True enough, there was considerable cork dust and no evidence of the cork brake belt to be seen. Compounding this issue, the power light shone but there was no evidence of power to anythin else. Whe I shut it off, there is a small click suggesting a relay opening or closing somewhere. The drive motor looks clean and bearings have no play. Everything turns by hand as it should...but no power. The 1.25 amp fuse looks to be intact. It seems it come out of the repair shop worse than it went it.

Any suggestions from anyone would be much appreciated.

The service manual is available from HiFi Engine. Create an account (no charge) and download the manual. It should help.

Dan

Link: https://www.hifiengine.com/

In article <07b19e40-8133-4410-b3ae-1e3efe57362bn@googlegroups.com>,
Jango Jingo <hedinsink@gmail.com> wrote:

>Any suggestions from anyone would be much appreciated.

manualslib.com seems to have the service manual for it.

On Monday, 19 October 2020 17:55:13 UTC-4, Dave Platt wrote:
In article <07b19e40-8133-4410-b3ae-1e3efe57362bn@googlegroups.com>,
Jango Jingo <hedinsink@gmail.com> wrote:

manualslib.com seems to have the service manual for it.

I believe that manualslib costs money to get manuals. HiFi Engine is free.
I always check there first.

Dan

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 2:01:56 PM UTC-7, Jango Jingo wrote:
I picked this 3600xd up at a garage sale, brought it home, plugged it in. It played my long stored away reels nicely. It was so nice to hear them again after all these years. When rewinding or fast forwarding, the reels did not stop turning when switched to stop. I took it to a trusted, though expensive, vintage repair service. The technician said that when he opened the front plate, there was evidence of a disintegrated brake belt, with cork dust everywhere. He informed me that he could not source one and could not fix the deck. I brought it home and stared at it for a year or so before I finally opened the face plate to see if there was any way I could cob something in the way of repair. True enough, there was considerable cork dust and no evidence of the cork brake belt to be seen. Compounding this issue, the power light shone but there was no evidence of power to anythin else. Whe I shut it off, there is a small click suggesting a relay opening or closing somewhere. The drive motor looks clean and bearings have no play. Everything turns by hand as it should...but no power. The 1.25 amp fuse looks to be intact. It seems it come out of the repair shop worse than it went it.

I had a similar issue with a Sony TC-755. The brake material was not cork but some man made composite glued to the
stainless steel band. I took an old wallet (thin leather) and cut strips and used contact cement to glue it to the strap.
Rouged up the surface of the leather and it still works well some 25 years later. Good luck.

G²

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back