Welcome Notice

Register Log in

signup for data sheets...

S

server

Guest
Why do people want you to register and get a password just to see a
data sheet? Seems like that\'s a good way to not sell.


\"The easiest thing in the world is to not sell.\"

- Melvin Goldstein



--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Science teaches us to doubt.

Claude Bernard
 
P

Phil Hobbs

Guest
On 10/26/20 10:39 AM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
Why do people want you to register and get a password just to see a
data sheet? Seems like that\'s a good way to not sell.
Usually stupidity, but sometimes ITAR. Discovery Semi has a deal with
the Feds about that, or so I\'m told.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
 
D

Don Y

Guest
On 10/26/2020 7:39 AM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
Why do people want you to register and get a password just to see a
data sheet? Seems like that\'s a good way to not sell.
IME, so they can track \"interest\" as well as WHO\'s interested.

I routinely create disposable email addresses for these uses;
\"register\" with the \"valid\" (but not precious) address,
use any credentials forwarded to me AT that address to
access the thing I\'m interested in (demo software, datasheet,
tech report, etc.) -- then delete the email account created
for that purpose.

Hey, if you want to be a PITA forcing me to go through these
hoops, then I can be a PITA and cheat you out of the data/contact
that you thought you wanted/needed.
 
C

Clifford Heath

Guest
On 27/10/20 5:20 am, Don Y wrote:
On 10/26/2020 7:39 AM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
Why do people want you to register and get a password just to see a
data sheet? Seems like that\'s a good way to not sell.

IME, so they can track \"interest\" as well as WHO\'s interested.

I routinely create disposable email addresses for these uses;
\"register\" with the \"valid\" (but not precious) address,
use any credentials forwarded to me AT that address to
access the thing I\'m interested in (demo software, datasheet,
tech report, etc.) -- then delete the email account created
for that purpose.

Hey, if you want to be a PITA forcing me to go through these
hoops, then I can be a PITA and cheat you out of the data/contact
that you thought you wanted/needed.
http://bugmenot.com works pretty well, though they don\'t have a password
for discoverysemi.com at present.

The more folk use it, the better it gets, of course

CH
 
D

Don Y

Guest
On 10/26/2020 3:41 PM, Clifford Heath wrote:
On 27/10/20 5:20 am, Don Y wrote:

I routinely create disposable email addresses for these uses;
\"register\" with the \"valid\" (but not precious) address,
use any credentials forwarded to me AT that address to
access the thing I\'m interested in (demo software, datasheet,
tech report, etc.) -- then delete the email account created
for that purpose.

http://bugmenot.com works pretty well, though they don\'t have a password for
discoverysemi.com at present.

The more folk use it, the better it gets, of course
I use guerrilla mail for most (very short term) disposables -- open
the site, grab the email address, fill out whatever form is requiring
the address, wait for the confirmation message to appear on the
guerrilla mail site, use the credential provided, close the guerrilla
mail page (deleting the temporary address in the process).

[There are a few other similar sites that I use when guerrilla mail
addresses are blacklisted. I\'ve also seen bugmenot blacklisted at
a few places.]

I also maintain \"alias addresses\" on some of my normal email accounts.
I periodically delete these (and create replacement aliases) to shed
any references that folks may have to those addresses. (sometimes,
an address is NOT abused by a party requesting it; other times, they
start pestering you with solicitations within hours of your disclosing it!)

E.g., I\'ve used these semi-permanent aliases for ecommerce since the
pandemic\'s start -- for grocery stores, amazon, department stores, etc.
Target was initially abusive but had an opt out option that they
appear to have honored (I don\'t need for you to tell me about all
of your \"sales\"; if I want something, I\'ll come looking for it!).
 
B

bitrex

Guest
On 10/26/2020 10:39 AM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
Why do people want you to register and get a password just to see a
data sheet? Seems like that\'s a good way to not sell.


\"The easiest thing in the world is to not sell.\"

- Melvin Goldstein
When I worked in the audio equipment biz the term we had for it was
\"Sales-prevention tactics\" e.g. \"I have a customer ready to buy X but
distributor Y is engaging in advanced sales-prevention tactics.\"

Customer wants to buy $3,000 worth of equipment of type X, needs it
yesterday and distributor Y will get a good chunk of it if they can
process it by the end of the day but nobody on staff at distributor Y at
the time is sure if our authorized distributor licensing agreement Z
allows this particular deal to go through, and no one\'s on hand to make
the call on it.

The audio equipment retail world at the time (15 yrs ago) was a world of
convoluted retailer/distributor/manufacturer authorization contracts and
endless price-fixing. I expect Amazon has wiped the floor with a lot of
the small retailers, now.
 
R

Ricketty C

Guest
On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 6:41:14 PM UTC-4, Clifford Heath wrote:
On 27/10/20 5:20 am, Don Y wrote:
On 10/26/2020 7:39 AM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
Why do people want you to register and get a password just to see a
data sheet? Seems like that\'s a good way to not sell.

IME, so they can track \"interest\" as well as WHO\'s interested.

I routinely create disposable email addresses for these uses;
\"register\" with the \"valid\" (but not precious) address,
use any credentials forwarded to me AT that address to
access the thing I\'m interested in (demo software, datasheet,
tech report, etc.) -- then delete the email account created
for that purpose.

Hey, if you want to be a PITA forcing me to go through these
hoops, then I can be a PITA and cheat you out of the data/contact
that you thought you wanted/needed.

http://bugmenot.com works pretty well, though they don\'t have a password
for discoverysemi.com at present.

The more folk use it, the better it gets, of course

CH
To deal with the spam potential I either use a spam catcher email address or I create an email address specific for them. Like xilinx.com@arius.com Then if I start getting spam to that address I know who gives out addresses... Most don\'t, Xilinx did.

I don\'t mind sharing email addresses with reputable vendors. They are essentially partners in my business. I can\'t design stuff without their products and support.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
 
C

Cydrome Leader

Guest
bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:
On 10/26/2020 10:39 AM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
Why do people want you to register and get a password just to see a
data sheet? Seems like that\'s a good way to not sell.


\"The easiest thing in the world is to not sell.\"

- Melvin Goldstein




When I worked in the audio equipment biz the term we had for it was
\"Sales-prevention tactics\" e.g. \"I have a customer ready to buy X but
distributor Y is engaging in advanced sales-prevention tactics.\"

Customer wants to buy $3,000 worth of equipment of type X, needs it
yesterday and distributor Y will get a good chunk of it if they can
process it by the end of the day but nobody on staff at distributor Y at
the time is sure if our authorized distributor licensing agreement Z
allows this particular deal to go through, and no one\'s on hand to make
the call on it.

The audio equipment retail world at the time (15 yrs ago) was a world of
convoluted retailer/distributor/manufacturer authorization contracts and
endless price-fixing. I expect Amazon has wiped the floor with a lot of
the small retailers, now.
That\'s child\'s play compared to how servers/storage/network gear quotes
work. If you get a quore from VAR xyz, you\'re locked to them for 90 days
or some other time frame and nobody else is even allowed to provide a
second quote. They really won\'t either. They won\'t always catch on if you
use fake/variation names etc though.
 
C

Clifford Heath

Guest
On 27/10/20 1:52 pm, Ricketty C wrote:
On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 6:41:14 PM UTC-4, Clifford Heath wrote:
On 27/10/20 5:20 am, Don Y wrote:
On 10/26/2020 7:39 AM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
Why do people want you to register and get a password just to see a
data sheet? Seems like that\'s a good way to not sell.

IME, so they can track \"interest\" as well as WHO\'s interested.

I routinely create disposable email addresses for these uses;
\"register\" with the \"valid\" (but not precious) address,
use any credentials forwarded to me AT that address to
access the thing I\'m interested in (demo software, datasheet,
tech report, etc.) -- then delete the email account created
for that purpose.

Hey, if you want to be a PITA forcing me to go through these
hoops, then I can be a PITA and cheat you out of the data/contact
that you thought you wanted/needed.

http://bugmenot.com works pretty well, though they don\'t have a password
for discoverysemi.com at present.

The more folk use it, the better it gets, of course

CH

To deal with the spam potential I either use a spam catcher email address or I create an email address specific for them. Like xilinx.com@arius.com Then if I start getting spam to that address I know who gives out addresses... Most don\'t, Xilinx did.

I don\'t mind sharing email addresses with reputable vendors. They are essentially partners in my business. I can\'t design stuff without their products and support.
Absolutely right. And until I have read their data sheets and decided to
design in their stuff - they\'re not my partner yet and I don\'t want them
to take liberties with my contact details. I\'m easy enough to find if
they want me for something.

CH
 
Toggle Sidebar

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Top