Hacking CCS from OBC...

E

Ed Lee

Here is an image of the On-Board Charger:

http://zoopow.com/leaf/PXL_20210210_233550127.jpg

Is it sufficient to just tap the Proximity, Pilot and Output pins into a CCS socket? I know that it might be limited to 7 kw CCS.

On Sunday, May 8, 2022 at 10:41:22 AM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:

Is it sufficient to just tap the Proximity, Pilot and Output pins into a CCS socket? I know that it might be limited to 7 kw CCS.

Doesn\'t your Leaf already have a J1772 connector. What would be different?

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Sunday, May 8, 2022 at 7:59:55 PM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:

Some sites are CCS only, no J1772. I still need the OBC for signalling and CAN, but by-passing the AC-DC.

On Sunday, May 8, 2022 at 11:28:45 PM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:

Some sites are CCS only, no J1772. I still need the OBC for signalling and CAN, but by-passing the AC-DC.

I thought the J1772 was a part of the CCS connector. I guess it\'s just not usable separately. That sucks. I thought about buying a Leaf in Puerto Rico, but the Chademo connector put me off. It put the salesman off too. He didn\'t know what it was for. I don\'t think the island has an Chademo chargers, so I guess that\'s not unexpected. I had to explain to him about fast DC charging. He only knew about the J1772. He also didn\'t expect to sell the car any time soon. Nissan made them take it.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Sunday, May 8, 2022 at 10:50:07 PM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:

Is it sufficient to just tap the Proximity(X), Pilot(P) and Output pins into a CCS socket? I know that it might be limited to 7 kw CCS.
Some sites are CCS only, no J1772. I still need the OBC for signalling and CAN(C), but by-passing the AC-DC.
I thought the J1772 was a part of the CCS connector. I guess it\'s just not usable separately. That sucks. I thought about buying a Leaf in Puerto Rico, but the Chademo(CDM) connector put me off. It put the salesman off too. He didn\'t know what it was for.

I don\'t think the island has an Chademo chargers,
Probably not many CCS chargers either.

so I guess that\'s not unexpected. I had to explain to him about fast DC charging. He only knew about the J1772. He also didn\'t expect to sell the car any time soon. Nissan made them take it.
My Leaf will have J1772, CDM and CCS.

CCS plug will not fit in the J1772 socket. There is no AC supply on the J1772 part of the CCS, the AC pins are unused, but two additional DC pins. I always think that\'s a bad physical design.

You can:
A. External DC (400V) to AC (220V) converter into J1772, no internal mod to vehicle.
B. Tap into X and P, using existing C.
C. Tap into X, using existing C, custom P
D. Full custom X, P and C

If adding the CCS socket is all it take, then it\'s easy to do, at least for dumb 7kw. Eventually, i can monitor the battery voltage and translate the pilot signal for higher power.

Furthermore, DC is easier to implement for storage buffered fast charger, and transfer the DC-AC cooling to the station, rather than the vehicle. In fact, if all i do is CCS and CDM, i can probably disable the cooling system.. I have no cooling on the main batteries, and my expansion batteries and booster/inverter are A/C air cooled inside the passenger compartment.

On Monday, May 9, 2022 at 5:27:51 AM UTC-7, Ed Lee wrote:

Is it sufficient to just tap the Proximity(X), Pilot(P) and Output pins into a CCS socket? I know that it might be limited to 7 kw CCS.
Some sites are CCS only, no J1772. I still need the OBC for signalling and CAN(C), but by-passing the AC-DC.
I thought the J1772 was a part of the CCS connector. I guess it\'s just not usable separately. That sucks. I thought about buying a Leaf in Puerto Rico, but the Chademo(CDM) connector put me off. It put the salesman off too. He didn\'t know what it was for.
so I guess that\'s not unexpected. I had to explain to him about fast DC charging. He only knew about the J1772. He also didn\'t expect to sell the car any time soon. Nissan made them take it.

CCS plug will not fit in the J1772 socket. There is no AC supply on the J1772 part of the CCS, the AC pins are unused, but two additional DC pins. I always think that\'s a bad physical design.

You can:
A. External DC (400V) to AC (220V) converter into J1772, no internal mod to vehicle.

If adding the CCS socket is all it take, then it\'s easy to do, at least for dumb 7kw. Eventually, i can monitor the battery voltage and translate the pilot signal for higher power.

Furthermore, DC is easier to implement for storage buffered fast charger, and transfer the DC-AC cooling to the station, rather than the vehicle. In fact, if all i do is CCS and CDM, i can probably disable the cooling system. I have no cooling on the main batteries, and my expansion batteries and booster/inverter are A/C air cooled inside the passenger compartment.

Opened up the OBC just to take a look. I didn\'t want to disconnect the cooling hosts (from under the car), but they made it difficult. First of all, needed to order a T35 security torx (w/ hole) and had to get the other 13 sizes as well. Needed to hammer the torx bit into the screw, but the lower one sit right next to the seat bell mounting bump and impossible to hammer.. Had to loosen all bolts and jack it up with a 2x4.

Hooked up 1K to 12V and Pilot, 150 to promiXity and ground. The car beeped, but no charging. I guess the OBC needs power from the AC pins, or to hack the circuit board with 12V supply and regulators.

Better to look around for another new ($1500) or used ($400) OBC to play with.

On Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 9:52:57 AM UTC-7, Ed Lee wrote:
On Monday, May 9, 2022 at 5:27:51 AM UTC-7, Ed Lee wrote:

You can:

Furthermore, DC is easier to implement for storage buffered fast charger, and transfer the DC-AC cooling to the station, rather than the vehicle. In fact, if all i do is CCS and CDM, i can probably disable the cooling system. I have no cooling on the main batteries,
and my expansion batteries and booster/inverter are A/C air cooled inside the passenger compartment.
Opened up the OBC just to take a look. I didn\'t want to disconnect the cooling hosts (from under the car), but they made it difficult. First of all, needed to order a T35 security torx (w/ hole) and had to get the other 13 sizes as well. Needed to hammer the torx bit into the screw, but the lower one sit right next to the seat bell mounting bump and impossible to hammer. Had to loosen all bolts and jack it up with a 2x4.

Hooked up 1K to 12V and Pilot, 150 to promiXity and ground. The car beeped, but no charging. I guess the OBC needs power from the AC pins, or to hack the circuit board with 12V supply and regulators.

Better to look around for another new ($1500) or used ($400) OBC to play with.

The goal is to use the OBC signalling and CAN messaging to enable the main battery relay and junction box, but to switch the HV output from the AUX battery. Look like I need to build a DC to AC converter. It doesn\'t need much current, other than the initial surge.

Can I assume that the 400V main battery is isolated from the J1772 and vehicle ground? If so, i can just switch +/- 200V into the AC pins. If not, I can use a separate bank of +/- 200V. The ram up can be very slow and it should not take much power in steady state, since the output will be isolated.

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back