Frederick Winslow Taylor The Principles of Scientific Management...

F

Fred Bloggs

What a mess! He\'s lucky he escaped with his life!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Winslow_Taylor

On Monday, December 6, 2021 at 10:54:19 PM UTC+11, Fred Bloggs wrote:

He\'s not popular with the trade union movement, and is frequently blamed for chopping up relatively rewarding jobs into tiny repetitive sub-tasks that are mind-numbingly boring.

That wasn\'t what he thought he was doing, but time and motion study got popular, and some of the people who claimed that that was what they were doing weren\'t all that good at it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

On Monday, December 6, 2021 at 8:31:58 AM UTC-5, bill....@ieee.org wrote:

He\'s not popular with the trade union movement, and is frequently blamed for chopping up relatively rewarding jobs into tiny repetitive sub-tasks that are mind-numbingly boring.

Of course, most of them were sitting around doing just 30% of the work they could have.

That wasn\'t what he thought he was doing, but time and motion study got popular, and some of the people who claimed that that was what they were doing weren\'t all that good at it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

On Tuesday, December 7, 2021 at 12:54:29 AM UTC+11, Fred Bloggs wrote:

Of course, most of them were sitting around doing just 30% of the work they could have.

Why do you think that? The places I\'ve worked, there wasn\'t a lot of sitting around, and most of the interest was in working out what needed to be done most urgently, which wasn\'t always the job that could be done quickest. Finding the critical path wasn\'t always easy, but getting the effort into progressing along that (once you\'d worked out what it was (or probably would be, if nothing else proved to be more complicated than expected) wasn\'t all that difficult.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

On Mon, 6 Dec 2021 05:54:24 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

I once had a union guy assigned to turn a trimpot at my direction,
because I wasn\'t allowed to use a tool at their site.

--

Father Brown\'s figure remained quite dark and still;
but in that instant he had lost his head. His head was
always most valuable when he had lost it.

On Monday, December 6, 2021 at 9:15:08 AM UTC-5, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
On Tuesday, December 7, 2021 at 12:54:29 AM UTC+11, Fred Bloggs wrote:

Why do you think that? The places I\'ve worked, there wasn\'t a lot of sitting around, and most of the interest was in working out what needed to be done most urgently, which wasn\'t always the job that could be done quickest. Finding the critical path wasn\'t always easy, but getting the effort into progressing along that (once you\'d worked out what it was (or probably would be, if nothing else proved to be more complicated than expected) wasn\'t all that difficult.

It\'s those phlegmatic pig iron workers gumming up the works!

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

On Monday, December 6, 2021 at 10:15:49 AM UTC-5, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
I once had a union guy assigned to turn a trimpot at my direction,
because I wasn\'t allowed to use a tool at their site.

When I was hired at Cincinnati Electronics, the Union steward got into my face right away to inform me that I wasnt allowed to solder anything. I wasn\'t expecting to, since I was hired for QA on the PRC77 radio. Se informed me that no man ever learned how to solder.

A couple months later rework was having trouble removing a small audio transformer from a circuit board. I was asked to show them how to do it, since it was well known that I serviced electronics at school systems as well.

I had to show them how to use two irons along with the NASA wet wicking method, plus a few other tricks to desolder the mounting tabs without damaging the plated through holes. The Union Steward was string at me, the entire time. They had two bad boards, so I smiled at her as I picked up the second board, \"I\'m only going to show this to you one more time, ladies!\" She was bright red, but powerless to say anything.

She really lost it when I told her that I had used up to a half pound of solder in one month for my shop.

On Tuesday, December 7, 2021 at 2:15:49 AM UTC+11, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
On Mon, 6 Dec 2021 05:54:24 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:

That\'s a favourite management claim. If you\'ve spent time hanging around on the shop floor it is an implausible claim - though I have met managers who wasted their subordinates time with that sort of enthusiasm until they got nailed for doing it.

I once had a union guy assigned to turn a trimpot at my direction, because I wasn\'t allowed to use a tool at their site.

They may have been doing the right thing.

The more over-confident the engineer, the more likely they are to blow up stuff big-time.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back