Finally! I figgured it out accidentally....

R

Rick C

Sometimes the tools are hard to figure out. I\'ve been looking for a way to leave my source files in MY source directory rather than in the Active-HDL source directory buried down in the bowels of their extraneous files directories.

I was having a problem with the tool that i think is going to require rebooting the machine and rather than do that I\'m working around not being able to right click in the design browser. I realized there are a couple of check boxes in the Add Files to the Design dialog that I didn\'t quite get... \"Make local copy\" which was clearly not what I wanted and \"Always open in the design src folder\" which I\'m totally unclear on. However, when I unchecked both of them and added the same file over top of the old one, it now points to MY source directory. I repeated that with all the files and now I don\'t have to copy files around to keep my source directory separate from the A-HDL directories.

Huzzah! I expect anyone using A-HDL knows this, but the print is rather small on my machine and I can barely read it. Even with the Windows setting for 125% zoom by default, these apps don\'t seem to pay any attention and keep the icons and text very, very small through most views. Only the editor and the waveforms and such are adjustable. Maybe they are still using code from Windows 3.1.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Friday, November 6, 2020 at 3:01:47 PM UTC-7, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
Sometimes the tools are hard to figure out. I\'ve been looking for a way to leave my source files in MY source directory rather than in the Active-HDL source directory buried down in the bowels of their extraneous files directories.

I was having a problem with the tool that i think is going to require rebooting the machine and rather than do that I\'m working around not being able to right click in the design browser. I realized there are a couple of check boxes in the Add Files to the Design dialog that I didn\'t quite get... \"Make local copy\" which was clearly not what I wanted and \"Always open in the design src folder\" which I\'m totally unclear on. However, when I unchecked both of them and added the same file over top of the old one, it now points to MY source directory. I repeated that with all the files and now I don\'t have to copy files around to keep my source directory separate from the A-HDL directories.

Huzzah! I expect anyone using A-HDL knows this, but the print is rather small on my machine and I can barely read it. Even with the Windows setting for 125% zoom by default, these apps don\'t seem to pay any attention and keep the icons and text very, very small through most views. Only the editor and the waveforms and such are adjustable. Maybe they are still using code from Windows 3.1.

--

Rick C.

Man, those project manager GUIs are for the birds. You have to start using bash/tcl scripts. I don\'t use Aldec much but when I do I just run my script from the Linux command line. All my source files stay where I want them to.

On Friday, November 6, 2020 at 6:39:07 PM UTC-5, Kevin Neilson wrote:
On Friday, November 6, 2020 at 3:01:47 PM UTC-7, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:

I was having a problem with the tool that i think is going to require rebooting the machine and rather than do that I\'m working around not being able to right click in the design browser. I realized there are a couple of check boxes in the Add Files to the Design dialog that I didn\'t quite get.... \"Make local copy\" which was clearly not what I wanted and \"Always open in the design src folder\" which I\'m totally unclear on. However, when I unchecked both of them and added the same file over top of the old one, it now points to MY source directory. I repeated that with all the files and now I don\'t have to copy files around to keep my source directory separate from the A-HDL directories.

--

Rick C.

Man, those project manager GUIs are for the birds. You have to start using bash/tcl scripts. I don\'t use Aldec much but when I do I just run my script from the Linux command line. All my source files stay where I want them to.

Scripts are great once you have them and have honed them through use. I don\'t and don\'t plan to use it enough to read the manuals thoroughly enough to create them. This was the only real issue with my productivity. Well, maybe if the tool would open the file in MY editor on the right line, but I can\'t find the command line options for Codewright. Not only has the software disappeared from view, but the docs too. Maybe it\'s time to learn Notepad+.

It\'s ironic that when searching for docs on the Codewright command line I usually find mentions in other tool docs on how to set up invoking Codewright, just not the detail I need. At one time (20 years ago) Codewright was the editor to beat... if you weren\'t running Linux.

I went out to get food at a restaurant and it was packed. No wonder the infection rates are rising. People are becoming too complacent.

Time to eat!

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back