Facebook is too exclusive for me...

R

Rick C

I tracked down someone through google pointing to a Facebook page. However, Facebook won\'t let me join. I can sign up, but before letting me in the account they want me to verify who I am by contacting friends they have identified for me. Of the five, three I\'ve never seen before in my life. One is a jerk I knew in high school and the last is someone I could contact only with great effort.

WTF???

Do they expect me to track down people I haven\'t seen in this century just to join their club?

With a bit more work I did find the guy I was looking for. He has a seafood business on the other end of the island. So phooey on Facebook. I can use Google without having friends vouch for me.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On 11/27/2021 5:03 PM, Rick C wrote:
I tracked down someone through google pointing to a Facebook page. However, Facebook won\'t let me join. I can sign up, but before letting me in the account they want me to verify who I am by contacting friends they have identified for me. Of the five, three I\'ve never seen before in my life. One is a jerk I knew in high school and the last is someone I could contact only with great effort.

WTF???

Do they expect me to track down people I haven\'t seen in this century just to join their club?

With a bit more work I did find the guy I was looking for. He has a seafood business on the other end of the island. So phooey on Facebook. I can use Google without having friends vouch for me.

What\'s the point, make a wrong move and some AI freezes your account for
a day, a week, forever, who knows.

On Saturday, November 27, 2021 at 6:09:16 PM UTC-4, bitrex wrote:

WTF???

I\'m not trying to be a Facie. I was just trying to contact someone who showed up there in a Google search. I only needed to go to page two of Google to find enough info to track him down so Facebook can go blow. Too bad Mayaguez is on the other end of the island. I\'d drop in on him tomorrow. It would be a three or four hour drive from here since the center of the island is all mountains and I\'d have to do either the Northern or Southern loop to get there. These two places are the equivalents of antipodes.

It\'s just weird that Facebook won\'t even let you in unless you have friends in Facebook that it knows about before it\'s ever seen you. But then Facebook, Google, etc. probably know all about me before I sign up.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On 11/27/2021 5:58 PM, Rick C wrote:

WTF???

I\'m not trying to be a Facie. I was just trying to contact someone who showed up there in a Google search. I only needed to go to page two of Google to find enough info to track him down so Facebook can go blow. Too bad Mayaguez is on the other end of the island. I\'d drop in on him tomorrow. It would be a three or four hour drive from here since the center of the island is all mountains and I\'d have to do either the Northern or Southern loop to get there. These two places are the equivalents of antipodes.

It\'s just weird that Facebook won\'t even let you in unless you have friends in Facebook that it knows about before it\'s ever seen you. But then Facebook, Google, etc. probably know all about me before I sign up.

Sounds like a new thing to cut down on spammers, I had an account at one
time, it didn\'t ask for any of that signing up that I recall.

On 2021-11-27, Rick C <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

WTF???

Probably this is how they are trying to stop people from creating fake
accounts.

--
Jasen.

søndag den 28. november 2021 kl. 01.31.03 UTC+1 skrev Jasen Betts:
On 2021-11-27, Rick C <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:

WTF???

Probably this is how they are trying to stop people from creating fake
accounts.

advertisers don\'t want to pay for fake views ...

On 22:58 27 Nov 2021, Rick C said:

I tracked down someone through google pointing to a Facebook
page. However, Facebook won\'t let me join. I can sign up, but
before letting me in the account they want me to verify who I am
by contacting friends they have identified for me. Of the five,
three I\'ve never seen before in my life. One is a jerk I knew in
high school and the last is someone I could contact only with
great effort.

WTF???

Do they expect me to track down people I haven\'t seen in this
century just to join their club?

With a bit more work I did find the guy I was looking for. He has
a sea food business on the other end of the island. So phooey on
Facebook. I can use Google without having friends vouch for me.

What\'s the point, make a wrong move and some AI freezes your
account for a day, a week, forever, who knows.

I\'m not trying to be a Facie. I was just trying to contact someone
who showed up there in a Google search. I only needed to go to page
two of Google to find enough info to track him down so Facebook can
go blow. Too bad Mayaguez is on the other end of the island. I\'d
drop in on him tomorrow. It would be a three or four hour drive
from here since the center of the island is all mountains and I\'d
have to do either the Northern or Southern loop to get there. These
two places are the equivalents of antipodes.

It\'s just weird that Facebook won\'t even let you in unless you have
friends in Facebook that it knows about before it\'s ever seen you.
But then Facebook, Google, etc. probably know all about me before I

I\'ve never seen that on Facebook. Maybe they have you flagged as
suspicious.

Are you sure the \"friends\" question is mandatory?

On Sat, 27 Nov 2021 14:58:31 -0800 (PST), Rick C
<gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

WTF???

I wouldn\'t join Facebook if they paid me.

--

\"You must therefore confess that by \'individual\' you mean no other person
than the bourgeois; than the middle-class owner of property. This person
must indeed be swept out of the way, and made impossible.\"

- Marx & Engels, The Communist Manifesto

On Sunday, November 28, 2021 at 7:07:32 AM UTC-4, Pamela wrote:
On 22:58 27 Nov 2021, Rick C said:

I tracked down someone through google pointing to a Facebook
page. However, Facebook won\'t let me join. I can sign up, but
before letting me in the account they want me to verify who I am
by contacting friends they have identified for me. Of the five,
three I\'ve never seen before in my life. One is a jerk I knew in
high school and the last is someone I could contact only with
great effort.

WTF???

Do they expect me to track down people I haven\'t seen in this
century just to join their club?

With a bit more work I did find the guy I was looking for. He has
a sea food business on the other end of the island. So phooey on
Facebook. I can use Google without having friends vouch for me.

What\'s the point, make a wrong move and some AI freezes your
account for a day, a week, forever, who knows.

I\'m not trying to be a Facie. I was just trying to contact someone
who showed up there in a Google search. I only needed to go to page
two of Google to find enough info to track him down so Facebook can
go blow. Too bad Mayaguez is on the other end of the island. I\'d
drop in on him tomorrow. It would be a three or four hour drive
from here since the center of the island is all mountains and I\'d
have to do either the Northern or Southern loop to get there. These
two places are the equivalents of antipodes.

It\'s just weird that Facebook won\'t even let you in unless you have
friends in Facebook that it knows about before it\'s ever seen you.
But then Facebook, Google, etc. probably know all about me before I
I\'ve never seen that on Facebook. Maybe they have you flagged as
suspicious.

You would only see this if you created an account. How many accounts have your created recently?

> Are you sure the \"friends\" question is mandatory?

Yes, it says there are three ways to verify your identity, but on the screen where you choose, there\'s only one offered. When you indicate this isn\'t working it ironically tells you to go back and select another option. Facebook has a sense of humor at least.

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On 28/11/21 18:56, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> I wouldn\'t join Facebook if they paid me.

They probably wouldn\'t accept CD as a moniker
without other people agreeing they know who you
are.

On 11/28/2021 5:59 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 28/11/21 18:56, Cursitor Doom wrote:
I wouldn\'t join Facebook if they paid me.

They probably wouldn\'t accept CD as a moniker
without other people agreeing they know who you
are.

Like any good dystopian authoritarian oufit, trolls, hackers, spammers,
and fake accounts seem to run pretty free on the site, and it seems to
be predominately legitimate users the powers-that-be give grief to.

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back