Exploding CDs...

J

Jeff Urban

They simply explode for no reason apparently. Of course there is a reason but what is it ?

I am thinking about polymers outgassing inside corroding the aluminum and making it corrode. That for most metals makes them lose mass, which has to go somewhere.

From what I hear it is when they are handled, but not abused. They have not been sitting out in the sun for days. This comes from an audiophile forum and they don\'t abuse them.

I think I will go back and ask what is the AGE of theses CDs.

Thing is, somewhere around here we probably have someone who knows about polymers and all that. Maybe they want to chime in.

I think it is a hell of a curiosity.

I wonder if it can happen to the holographic disks. Imagine having all your movies and music on one disk and it goes poof. Thing is I do not believe they use aluminum. They are depth multiplexed and like wherever thy want, not like a dual layer DVD. so they pretty much can\'t be using aluminum as the reflective substance.

On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 23:36:23 UTC+1, Jeff Urban wrote:

They simply explode for no reason apparently. Of course there is a reason but what is it ?

I am thinking about polymers outgassing inside corroding the aluminum and making it corrode. That for most metals makes them lose mass, which has to go somewhere.

From what I hear it is when they are handled, but not abused. They have not been sitting out in the sun for days. This comes from an audiophile forum and they don\'t abuse them.

Thing is, somewhere around here we probably have someone who knows about polymers and all that. Maybe they want to chime in.

I wonder if it can happen to the holographic disks. Imagine having all your movies and music on one disk and it goes poof. Thing is I do not believe they use aluminum. They are depth multiplexed and like wherever thy want, not like a dual layer DVD. so they pretty much can\'t be using aluminum as the reflective substance.

I don\'t know, but I do know the PC they\'re made from objects strongly to heat & any moisture together.

NT

Am 24.09.20 um 00:36 schrieb Jeff Urban:
> They simply explode for no reason apparently. Of course there is a reason but what is it ?

CDs also?

Last thing I heard was that trees explode.
Nice trees, strong trees, beautiful trees.

But they explode.

Makes me avoid Austria.

Cheers, Gerhard

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 15:36:16 -0700 (PDT), Jeff Urban
<jurb6006@gmail.com> wrote:

They simply explode for no reason apparently.
Of course there is a reason but what is it ?

Ummmm.... perhaps very high RPM\'s?
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs7x1Hu29Wc>

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

On 23/09/2020 23:36, Jeff Urban wrote:

Is this an urban myth ?

MK

In article <a78e089c-6c50-4aa0-b031-e3994d8f1483n@googlegroups.com>,
jurb6006@gmail.com says...
I am thinking about polymers outgassing inside corroding the aluminum
and making it corrode. That for most metals makes them lose mass, which
has to go somewhere.

Really? Corrosion is usually the addition of another element to the
metal, which will make it heavier. Of course volume may increase even
more, so the result is less dense, as in rust.

They simply explode for no reason apparently. Of course there is a
reason but what is it ?

I recall way back as CD drives got faster and faster that they stopped
at 52x because there was a risk to structural integrity of the disk.

I am thinking about polymers outgassing inside corroding the aluminum
and making it corrode. That for most metals makes them lose mass,
which has to go somewhere.

I have a fair number of CD\'s and none of them have ever gone pop. My
audiophile brother-in-law has thousands and he hasn\'t either.

From what I hear it is when they are handled, but not abused. They
have not been sitting out in the sun for days. This comes from an
audiophile forum and they don\'t abuse them.

Thing is, somewhere around here we probably have someone who knows
about polymers and all that. Maybe they want to chime in.

I think as stated above it is an urban legend.

The ways they can fail are pretty much brittle fracture or stress
corrosion cracking. Cleaning might cause this so audiophools using
solvents on their CDs might be inadvertently shortening their lifetime.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I think you have to keep the spin speed below 30000 rpm

On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 6:34:28 AM UTC-7, Andy Bennet wrote:

For trees exploding, the rule is to keep the ambient temperature below 300C.
After Mt. St. Helens exploded, I examined tree remains (with a shovel...),
and they\'re best described as toothpicks.

On Thursday, 24 September 2020 21:14:28 UTC+1, whit3rd wrote:
On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 6:34:28 AM UTC-7, Andy Bennet wrote:

For trees exploding, the rule is to keep the ambient temperature below 300C.
After Mt. St. Helens exploded, I examined tree remains (with a shovel...),
and they\'re best described as toothpicks.

The other thing that makes trees explode is being struck by lightning.

John

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 3:36:23 PM UTC-7, Jeff Urban wrote:

Sounds like an \"Urban Myth\"

On Thursday, 24 September 2020 08:36:23 UTC+10, Jeff Urban wrote:

See (for example): https://tinyurl.com/y5yf7g5n

Audio CDs vary their RPM to to get a constant-rate data stream (CLV). The limits are very mild numbers.
--
Cheers,
Chris.

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back