Can a Verilog function take a boolean argument?...

K

Kevin Simonson

I\'ve got a Verilog function that I\'d like to behave slightly differently depending on the value of a boolean argument, an argument whose value can be either (true) or (false). I tried:
Code:
module sid ();

function integer execOp;
    input integer left;
    input integer right;
    input boolean add;
  begin
    execOp = add ? left + right : left * right;
  end
endfunction

endmodule
Then when I use Icarus to simulate it I get:
Code:
D:\\Hf\\Verilog\\Unpacked\\Common>\\Icarus\\bin\\iverilog -g2009 -o sid.out sid.sv
sid.sv:6: syntax error
sid.sv:3: error: Syntax error defining function.

D:\\Hf\\Verilog\\Unpacked\\Common>
Line 6 is the line where I declare variable (add). Is there a way to pass a boolean argument to a function, or am I going to have to declare an (enum) that has values (true) and (false)?

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 7:18:29 PM UTC-6, Kevin Simonson wrote:
I\'ve got a Verilog function that I\'d like to behave slightly differently depending on the value of a boolean argument, an argument whose value can be either (true) or (false). I tried:
Code:
module sid ();

function integer execOp;
input integer left;
input integer right;
input boolean add;
begin
execOp = add ? left + right : left * right;
end
endfunction

endmodule
Then when I use Icarus to simulate it I get:
Code:
D:\\Hf\\Verilog\\Unpacked\\Common>\\Icarus\\bin\\iverilog -g2009 -o sid.out sid.sv
sid.sv:6: syntax error
sid.sv:3: error: Syntax error defining function.

D:\\Hf\\Verilog\\Unpacked\\Common
Line 6 is the line where I declare variable (add). Is there a way to pass a boolean argument to a function, or am I going to have to declare an (enum) that has values (true) and (false)?

There is no \"Boolean\" type in Verilog, as far as I know. The default type is a 1-bit register that is fairly equivalent. If you just delete the word \"boolean\" from your example, it should work.

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back