Batteries in Parallel ......

S

Sid 03

If I were to wire two or more alkaline batteries in parallel, sure I would double the Amp/Hours available to the load.

But I run into other problems ? Would one battery overpower the other can cause one of them to corrode/leak etc ...?

What if I added a small diode to each one so that no reverse polarity was experienced by either(or more) batteries ?

Thanks
Sid

On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 19:23:10 -0700 (PDT), Sid 03 <sidwelle@gmail.com>
wrote:

If I were to wire two or more alkaline batteries in parallel, sure I would double the Amp/Hours available to the load.

But I run into other problems ? Would one battery overpower the other can cause one of them to corrode/leak etc ...?

What if I added a small diode to each one so that no reverse polarity was experienced by either(or more) batteries ?

Thanks
Sid

If the two or more batteries in parallel are fairly equal in charge
and voltage, there shouldn\'t be any probllem.

If one is going to leak, then it\'s defective. There has been a lot of
leaky batteries lately it seems.

On Sunday, October 25, 2020 at 10:28:15 PM UTC-4, boB wrote:
On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 19:23:10 -0700 (PDT), Sid 03 <sidwelle@gmail.com
wrote:

Thanks
Sid

I\'m not buying Costco batteries anymore. I\'ve had half a dozen devices ruined by leaking Costco alkalines and the pack sitting on my shelf with dates of 2025 are leaking in the pack!!!

People suspect they are made by Duracell. One big difference is Duracell will pay to replace your device if it is damaged by their battery.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 19:23:10 -0700 (PDT), Sid 03 <sidwelle@gmail.com>
wrote:

Thanks
Sid

Similar batteries in parallel should be OK. The far ends of a
cylindrical battery are already in parellel.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

Science teaches us to doubt.

Claude Bernard

On 10/25/2020 11:24 PM, Ricketty C wrote:
wrote:

Thanks
Sid

I\'m not buying Costco batteries anymore. I\'ve had half a dozen devices ruined by leaking Costco alkalines and the pack sitting on my shelf with dates of 2025 are leaking in the pack!!!

People suspect they are made by Duracell. One big difference is Duracell will pay to replace your device if it is damaged by their battery.

I like Panasonic alkalines as my Valu-Time brand, they\'re $2 for a pack
of 4 AAs at Ocean State Job Lot. Never had them leak on me, and had a
pack in storage for 4 years before use, seemed fine.

On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 12:01:19 AM UTC-4, bitrex wrote:
wrote:

Thanks
Sid

It\'s hard to go by anecdotal evidence and pretty much all battery data is anecdotal. But one advantage is buying in 4 packs rather than 40 packs. I have a AAA monster pack and two AA monster packs I\'m going to try to get a refund on at Costco. They are also going to get a look at the meter they ruined and see if they will compensate me for that.

I like the Sunbeam brand sold in dollar stores, Dollar Tree I think. They are cheap $1 for a four pack and they haven\'t leaked yet. They also rate well in life tests. Dollar General batteries seem to do ok too, but they cost significantly more. They do have decent reader glasses for $6. lol. At the Dollar Tree everything\'s just a dollar and sometimes that\'s just not enough to get something even worth \'free\'.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

----- Original Message -----
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2020 10:23 PM
Subject: Batteries in Parallel ...

If I were to wire two or more alkaline batteries in parallel, sure I would
double the Amp/Hours available to the load.

But I run into other problems ? Would one battery overpower the other can
cause one of them to corrode/leak etc ...?

Maybe. It depends on the battery chemistry.

What if I added a small diode to each one so that no reverse polarity was
experienced by either(or more) batteries ?

Schottky diodes are good for that but you probably don\'t want one diode per
battery if you have a lot of batteries.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x59fa2s

Thanks
Sid

On 10/26/2020 1:01 AM, Ricketty C wrote:
wrote:

Thanks
Sid

It\'s hard to go by anecdotal evidence and pretty much all battery data is anecdotal. But one advantage is buying in 4 packs rather than 40 packs. I have a AAA monster pack and two AA monster packs I\'m going to try to get a refund on at Costco. They are also going to get a look at the meter they ruined and see if they will compensate me for that.

God bless.

I like the Sunbeam brand sold in dollar stores, Dollar Tree I think. They are cheap $1 for a four pack and they haven\'t leaked yet. They also rate well in life tests. Dollar General batteries seem to do ok too, but they cost significantly more. They do have decent reader glasses for $6. lol. At the Dollar Tree everything\'s just a dollar and sometimes that\'s just not enough to get something even worth \'free\'.

Even Ikea isn\'t that cheap, anymore...

Sid 03 wrote:

=================

** The stronger one would simply take over most of the load current, giving the weakling a free ride till bot were done.

** Waste of effort, cost and cell voltage.

..... Phil

On 26/10/2020 03:24, Ricketty C wrote:
People suspect they are made by Duracell. One big difference is
Duracell will pay to replace your device if it is damaged by their
battery.

That must be costing them a fortune then.
All the recent battery leaks I have seen have been Duracell batteries.
I have moved over to Panasonic or Everready as a result. YMMV

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 01:32:52 -0400, bitrex <user@example.net> wrote:

wrote:

Thanks
Sid

God bless.

Cheap, cheap, cheap. Always cheap. Are you guys on minimum wage or
something?

The Amazon batteries seem fine, no driving/parking/standing in line
for refunds required.

--

Claude Bernard

On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 9:35:12 AM UTC-5, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 01:32:52 -0400, bitrex <us...@example.net> wrote:

On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 19:23:10 -0700 (PDT), Sid 03 <sidw...@gmail.com
wrote:

Thanks
Sid

God bless.

something?

for refunds required.
--

Claude Bernard

I found some info on \'Schottky diodes\' and some more info on \'Germanium diodes\', both seem to have very common properties.
Low forward voltage < 0.3v , Low reverse voltage < 20v, high leakage current in the mA(s).
Kinda new to picking out diodes, Can you guys tell me which one would be better for this application ?

Thanks
Sid.

On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 12:45:41 PM UTC-4, Sid 03 wrote:
On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 9:35:12 AM UTC-5, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

wrote:

Thanks
Sid

God bless.

something?

for refunds required.
--

Claude Bernard

I found some info on \'Schottky diodes\' and some more info on \'Germanium diodes\', both seem to have very common properties.
Low forward voltage < 0.3v , Low reverse voltage < 20v, high leakage current in the mA(s).
Kinda new to picking out diodes, Can you guys tell me which one would be better for this application ?

Thanks
Sid.

You can get a much better dropout with a FET but it will vampire drain a bit of idle current and require some support circuitry.

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Sunday, October 25, 2020 at 7:23:15 PM UTC-7, sidw...@gmail.com wrote:

Why would you not use rechargeable? Parallel rechargeable cells are fine.

On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 09:45:34 -0700 (PDT), Sid 03 <sidwelle@gmail.com>
wrote:

wrote:

Thanks
Sid

God bless.

something?

for refunds required.
--

Claude Bernard

Thanks
Sid.

I\'d just parallel the batteries.

On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 11:56:07 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee
<edward.ming.lee@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sunday, October 25, 2020 at 7:23:15 PM UTC-7, sidw...@gmail.com wrote:

Why would you not use rechargeable? Parallel rechargeable cells are fine.

The old zinc-carbon batteries could be charged a bit when they were
dead. I did that when I was a kid and had a transistor radio and
couldn\'t afford batteries.

I haven\'t tried alkalines.

John Larkin wrote:

==================
The old zinc-carbon batteries could be charged a bit when they were
dead. I did that when I was a kid and had a transistor radio and
couldn\'t afford batteries.

** I used to put the 9V ones in the oven for a few minutes to revive them.

I haven\'t tried alkalines.

** One time there were chargers for alkaline cells on sale.

IIRC they used a pulsing technique with short periods of charging and discharging. However, they would not work with a genuinely flat cell.

...... Phil

On 10/26/2020 10:34 AM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

wrote:

Thanks
Sid

God bless.

something?

for refunds required.

Nah, I\'ll pay $2 for a 4 pack of Panasonic AAs at a local store and not
send all my cash Amazon\'s way. Not sure where they get \'em from or why
most brick-and-mortar stores don\'t carry \'em (Duracell and Energizer
might be unhappy) but they\'re a solid battery.

<https://www.panasonicbatteryproducts.com/alkaline_plus_power_batteries/plus-power-alkaline-aa-4-pack/>

As for Ikea what I mean is they discontinue a practical desk like the
Jerker and you see a work desk like this in the store for $600.

<https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/idasen-desk-sit-stand-black-dark-gray-s79280998/>

It\'s not that I do not have $600, but I can do better for $600. Y\'know,
like some other products from that area of the world you could mention
like BMW and Volvo.

On 10/26/2020 9:22 PM, bitrex wrote:
On 10/26/2020 10:34 AM, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 19:23:10 -0700 (PDT), Sid 03
sidwelle@gmail.com
wrote:

If I were to wire two or more alkaline batteries in parallel,
sure I would double the Amp/Hours available to the load.

But I run into other problems ?  Would one battery overpower the
other can cause one of them to corrode/leak etc ...?

What if I added a small diode to each one so that no reverse
polarity was experienced by either(or more) batteries ?

Thanks
Sid

If one is going to leak, then it\'s defective.  There has been a
lot of

I\'m not buying Costco batteries anymore.  I\'ve had half a dozen
devices ruined by leaking Costco alkalines and the pack sitting on
my shelf with dates of 2025 are leaking in the pack!!!

People suspect they are made by Duracell.  One big difference is
Duracell will pay to replace your device if it is damaged by their
battery.

I like Panasonic alkalines as my Valu-Time brand, they\'re $2 for a
pack

It\'s hard to go by anecdotal evidence and pretty much all battery
data is anecdotal.  But one advantage is buying in 4 packs rather
than 40 packs.  I have a AAA monster pack and two AA monster packs
I\'m going to try to get a refund on at Costco.  They are also going
to get a look at the meter they ruined and see if they will
compensate me for that.

God bless.

I like the Sunbeam brand sold in dollar stores, Dollar Tree I
think.  They are cheap $1 for a four pack and they haven\'t leaked
yet.  They also rate well in life tests.  Dollar General batteries
seem to do ok too, but they cost significantly more.  They do have
decent reader glasses for $6.  lol.  At the Dollar Tree everything\'s
just a dollar and sometimes that\'s just not enough to get something
even worth \'free\'.

something?

for refunds required.

Nah, I\'ll pay $2 for a 4 pack of Panasonic AAs at a local store and not
send all my cash Amazon\'s way. Not sure where they get \'em from or why
most brick-and-mortar stores don\'t carry \'em (Duracell and Energizer
might be unhappy) but they\'re a solid battery.

https://www.panasonicbatteryproducts.com/alkaline_plus_power_batteries/plus-power-alkaline-aa-4-pack/

As for Ikea what I mean is they discontinue a practical desk like the
Jerker and you see a work desk like this in the store for $600.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/idasen-desk-sit-stand-black-dark-gray-s79280998/

It\'s not that I do not have $600, but I can do better for $600. Y\'know,
like some other products from that area of the world you could mention
like BMW and Volvo.

Pardon me, I meant BMW and Volkswagen. Volvo\'s aight.

\"Sid 03\" <sidwelle@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ed9f281a-2219-4d84-92e6-85edc25d38d6n@googlegroups.com...
On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 9:35:12 AM UTC-5,
jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:

wrote:

Kinda new to picking out diodes, Can you guys tell me which one would be
better for this application ?

What application?
What volts are needed at what amps and for how long before replacement
batteries are needed?
Is this for a portable device? What are the space/size/weight constraints?
Room temperature or wider temperature range?

Thanks
Sid.

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back