EDAboard.com | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | WTWH Media

Why are motors not current limited?

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronics - Why are motors not current limited?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Archibald Tarquin Blenkin
Guest

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:45 pm   



On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 11:51:53 -0600, rbowman <bowman_at_montana.com>
wrote:

Quote:
On 04/21/2018 06:03 AM, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
I suppose right handed people have a slight advantage, but drilling
with the left hand on the grip ansures that the drill isn't pulled
away, it's pushed into your hand.

And with any luck if there is a button to lock the trigger that gets
pushed into your hand also. I am depressed by this constant
discrimination of people of left handedness. It has to stop.


It would already be locked if One had chosen to use it. The locking
action would be unlikely to be engaged accidentally.

If you feel strongly about the discrimination then an approach to
people like Eclipse might be worthwhile. The basic problem is the
flute.

Personally though I think you would get a more immediate effect with
Prozac.

AB

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife
Guest

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:45 pm   



On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 19:18:13 +0100, Bob F <bobnospam_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:
On 4/21/2018 10:33 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 17:55:20 +0100, Andrew Gabriel
andrew_at_cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote:

In article <op.zhtjtbcvjs98qf_at_red.lan>,
"James Wilkinson Sword" <imvalid_at_somewear.com> writes:
How hard can it be to put some kind of electronic limiter on a power
tool so if you over-stress it, it doesn't consume enough current to
melt the coils?

You can buy professional power tools with that sort of protection,
or you can buy much cheaper DIY tools without it. My Metabo SDS
drill has it, but it cost well over 300.

But why should we have to pay 300 to get some basic electronics included?

Because too many people are cheapskates just like you?

You abuse equipment till it dies, and wonder why they don't make them
better and not charge more?


40 saw, dies. 300 saw, works. 45 saw, same as the 40 one but with a simple limiter, works.

Quote:
One of the basics of using tools is to take
care of them, and know their limits. Just like knowing to change the oil
and filter in your car.


The manufacturer should design it so it tells you when to change the oil..

--
A bird in the hand is always greener than the grass under the other guy's bushes.

Bob F
Guest

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:45 pm   



On 4/21/2018 10:33 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Quote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 17:55:20 +0100, Andrew Gabriel
andrew_at_cucumber.demon.co.uk> wrote:

In article <op.zhtjtbcvjs98qf_at_red.lan>,
"James Wilkinson Sword" <imvalid_at_somewear.com> writes:
How hard can it be to put some kind of electronic limiter on a power
tool so if you over-stress it, it doesn't consume enough current to
melt the coils?

You can buy professional power tools with that sort of protection,
or you can buy much cheaper DIY tools without it. My Metabo SDS
drill has it, but it cost well over 300.

But why should we have to pay 300 to get some basic electronics included?


Because too many people are cheapskates just like you?

You abuse equipment till it dies, and wonder why they don't make them
better and not charge more? One of the basics of using tools is to take
care of them, and know their limits. Just like knowing to change the oil
and filter in your car.

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife
Guest

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:45 pm   



On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 19:05:22 +0100, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife <nowhere_at_somewear.co.uk> wrote:

Quote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 18:53:08 +0100, rbowman <bowman_at_montana.com> wrote:

On 04/21/2018 06:18 AM, Al Borland wrote:
On 4/21/2018 8:11 AM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 12:54:04 +0100, Al Borland <al_at_binford-tool.edu
wrote:

On 4/21/2018 7:35 AM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
How hard can it be to put some kind of electronic limiter on a power
tool so if you over-stress it, it doesn't consume enough current to
melt the coils?

The motor is efficiently protected by voltage, current and
temperature sensors to prevent overloading. Stop buying junk and
start buying Hiltis.

https://www.hilti.com/cordless-systems/cordless-drills/r6636450#technical-data


I'm not talking about little cordless drills, I mean mains powered
tools of around a kilowatt. Even if they're cheap, surely these
sensors are a fraction of the price of the whole tool, and you'd get
so many less warranty returns.

Do you think you could handle a corded Hilti?


A powder actuated Hilti would be more fun. They are probably illegal in
the UK though.

They sell them on their UK website.
https://www.hilti.co.uk/direct-fastening/general-purpose-powder-actuated-tools-and-cartridges


I wasn't fucking finished. Why is the "send" function on newsgroup readers always accessible by mistake? Bloody control-keys.

I wonder if I can use one of those as a gun?

--
System error 4C: kernel panic

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife
Guest

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:45 pm   



On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 18:53:08 +0100, rbowman <bowman_at_montana.com> wrote:

Quote:
On 04/21/2018 06:18 AM, Al Borland wrote:
On 4/21/2018 8:11 AM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 12:54:04 +0100, Al Borland <al_at_binford-tool.edu
wrote:

On 4/21/2018 7:35 AM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
How hard can it be to put some kind of electronic limiter on a power
tool so if you over-stress it, it doesn't consume enough current to
melt the coils?

The motor is efficiently protected by voltage, current and
temperature sensors to prevent overloading. Stop buying junk and
start buying Hiltis.

https://www.hilti.com/cordless-systems/cordless-drills/r6636450#technical-data


I'm not talking about little cordless drills, I mean mains powered
tools of around a kilowatt. Even if they're cheap, surely these
sensors are a fraction of the price of the whole tool, and you'd get
so many less warranty returns.

Do you think you could handle a corded Hilti?


A powder actuated Hilti would be more fun. They are probably illegal in
the UK though.


They sell them on their UK website.
https://www.hilti.co.uk/direct-fastening/general-purpose-powder-actuated-tools-and-cartridges

--
System error 4C: kernel panic

Peeler
Guest

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:45 pm   



On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 11:18:13 -0700, Bob F, the mentally deficient,
troll-feeding Yankietard, blabbered again:


Quote:
Because too many people are cheapskates just like you?

You abuse equipment till it dies, and wonder why they don't make them
better and not charge more? One of the basics of using tools is to take
care of them, and know their limits. Just like knowing to change the oil
and filter in your car.


The gay Scottish wanker certainly doesn't take much care of you American
tools, you tool!

Peeler
Guest

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:45 pm   



On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 13:26:35 +0100, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp, another
troll-feeding moron, blabbered:


> If you have the time and around 60-00,

He has a LOT of time to keep all you troll-feedind idiots slinging around to
his liking as often as he wants! <VBG>

Peeler
Guest

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:45 pm   



On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 12:35:25 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),
the pathological attention whore of all the uk ngs, blathered again:

<FLUSH the abnormal attention whore's latest idiotic attention-baiting
BULLSHIT unread again>

--
damduck-egg_at_yahoo.co.uk about Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL)
trolling:
"He is a well known attention seeking troll and every reply you
make feeds him.
Starts many threads most of which die quick as on the UK groups anyone
with sense Kill filed him ages ago which is why he now cross posts to
the US groups for a new audience.
This thread was unusual in that it derived and continued without him
to a large extent and his silly questioning is an attempt to get
noticed again."
MID: <be195d5jh0hktj054mvfu7ef9ap854mjdb_at_4ax.com>

--
ItsJoanNotJoann addressing Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"You're an annoying troll and I'm done with you and your
stupidity."
MID: <e39a6a7f-9677-4e78-a866-0590fe5bbc38_at_googlegroups.com>

--
AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...
You have been presented with a viewpoint with information, reasoning,
historical cases, citations and references to back it up and wilfully
ignore all going back to your idea which has no supporting information."
MID: <KaToA.263621$g93.262397_at_fx10.am4>

--
Phil Lee adressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are too stupid to be wasting oxygen."
MID: <uv2u4clurscpat3g29l7aksbohsassufe2_at_4ax.com>

--
Phil Lee describing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I've never seen such misplaced pride in being a fucking moronic motorist."
MID: <j7fb6ct83igfd1g99rmu4gh9vf610ra3jk_at_4ax.com>

--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class
ass hole jerk. ...You fit under unconditional Idiot and should be put in
mental institution.
MID: <VLCdnYC5HK1Z4S3FnZ2dnUU7-dPNnZ2d_at_giganews.com>

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."
MID: <obru31$nao$3_at_dont-email.me>

--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."
MID: <4d907253-b3b9-40d4-be4d-b32d453937e0_at_googlegroups.com>

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."
MID: <op.yy3c02cqmsr2db_at_dell3100.workgroup>

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"the piss poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and
several parrots living in his hovel."
MID: <odqtgc$iug$1_at_dont-email.me>

--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"
MID: <20170519215057.56a1f1d4_at_Mars>

--
JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ
lower than your age, and I accept that as a reason for your comments."
MID: <0001HW.1EE2D20300E7BECC700004A512CF_at_news.eternal-september.org>

--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson Sword" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how
negative it may be."
MID: <rOmdndd_O7u8iK7EnZ2dnUU78TGdnZ2d_at_brightview.co.uk>

--
thekmanrocks_at_gmail.com asking Birdbrain:
"What, were you dropped on your head as a child?"
MID: <58ddfad5-d9a5-4031-b91f-1850245a6ed9_at_googlegroups.com>

--
Christie addressing endlessly driveling Birdbrain Macaw (now "James
Wilkinson" LOL):
"What are you resurrecting that old post of mine for? It's from last
month some time. You're like a dog who's just dug up an old bone they
hid in the garden until they were ready to have another go at it."
MID: <59d8b0db.4113512_at_news.eternal-september.org>

--
Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable
sponging failure who will always live alone and will die alone. You will not
be missed."
MID: <orree6$on2$1_at_dont-email.me>

--
Richard to pathetic wanker Hucker:
"You haven't bred?
Only useful thing you've done in your pathetic existence."
MID: <orvctf$l5m$1_at_gioia.aioe.org>

--
clare_at_snyder.on.ca about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious
mistake having him born alive -- A total waste of oxygen, food, space,
and bandwidth."
MID: <s5e9uclqpnabtehehg3d792tmll73se0g8_at_4ax.com>

--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a shithole with no hot
running water with loads of stinking cats and a few parrots."
MID: <os5m1i$8m1$1_at_dont-email.me>

--
francis about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"
MID: <cf06cdd9-8bb8-469c-800a-0dfa4c2f9ffa_at_googlegroups.com>

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to
explain the concept of "invincible ignorance"."
MID: <otofc8$tbg$2_at_dont-email.me>

Peeler
Guest

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:45 pm   



On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 07:54:04 -0400, Al Borland, the troll-feeding
Yankietard, driveled:

Quote:
On 4/21/2018 7:35 AM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
How hard can it be to put some kind of electronic limiter on a power tool so if you over-stress it, it doesn't consume enough current to melt the coils?

The motor is efficiently protected by voltage, current and temperature sensors to prevent overloading. Stop buying junk and start buying Hiltis.

https://www.hilti.com/cordless-systems/cordless-drills/r6636450#technical-data


And troll-feeding idiot no.1 appeared, swallowing the Scottish sow's latest
idiotic bait, hook, like and sinker! LOL

Peeler
Guest

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:45 pm   



On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 16:55:20 -0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel, another
troll-feeding retard, blabbered:


Quote:
Vastly more expensive power controller than the light dimmer used
as a speed control in DIY power tools.


And troll-feeding idiot no.4 appeared, swallowing the Scottish sow's latest
idiotic bait, hook, like and sinker! LOL

Peeler
Guest

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:45 pm   



On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 08:18:28 -0400, Al Borland, the troll-feeding
Yankietard, driveled:


> Do you think you could handle a corded Hilti?

He can handle senile Yankietards like you, if you really want to know! <BG>

M Philbrook
Guest

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:45 pm   



In article <pbfqdo$3qb$1_at_dont-email.me>, andrew_at_cucumber.demon.co.uk
says...
Quote:

In article <op.zhtjtbcvjs98qf_at_red.lan>,
"James Wilkinson Sword" <imvalid_at_somewear.com> writes:
How hard can it be to put some kind of electronic limiter on a power tool so if you over-stress it, it doesn't consume enough current to melt the coils?

You can buy professional power tools with that sort of protection,
or you can buy much cheaper DIY tools without it. My Metabo SDS
drill has it, but it cost well over 300.

I assume something like this must be done on electric cars, or instead of stalling the engine, you'd wreck the motor.

Vastly more expensive power controller than the light dimmer used
as a speed control in DIY power tools.


The cost of basic protection is far less than replacing the tool at
every turn, however, the cost of this basic protection is offset by
increasing the product price to approximate how many unprotected tools
you can save via this cheap protection circuit..

SO you have a choice, keep buying the cheap one's that are always
changing the design so you can't use old units for parts but if gives
you that always new look! Or you can buy the protected one and allow it
to get ratty looking, beat up looking, twisted, out of alignment etc..

Now think of this from a used car salesmans perspective, put a fresh
coat of paint on that car with no enigine cyou can sell it everytime..

The same holds true when showing up for a job with sparkling new tools
which may give them the impression that you are a neat freak and that
impresses the customers because they no absolutely nothing about what
you are really selling!

Jamie

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife
Guest

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:45 pm   



On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 21:37:42 +0100, M Philbrook <jamie_ka1lpa_at_charter.net> wrote:

Quote:
In article <pbfqdo$3qb$1_at_dont-email.me>, andrew_at_cucumber.demon.co.uk
says...

In article <op.zhtjtbcvjs98qf_at_red.lan>,
"James Wilkinson Sword" <imvalid_at_somewear.com> writes:
How hard can it be to put some kind of electronic limiter on a power tool so if you over-stress it, it doesn't consume enough current to melt the coils?

You can buy professional power tools with that sort of protection,
or you can buy much cheaper DIY tools without it. My Metabo SDS
drill has it, but it cost well over 300.

I assume something like this must be done on electric cars, or instead of stalling the engine, you'd wreck the motor.

Vastly more expensive power controller than the light dimmer used
as a speed control in DIY power tools.

The cost of basic protection is far less than replacing the tool at
every turn, however, the cost of this basic protection is offset by
increasing the product price to approximate how many unprotected tools
you can save via this cheap protection circuit..

SO you have a choice, keep buying the cheap one's that are always
changing the design so you can't use old units for parts but if gives
you that always new look! Or you can buy the protected one and allow it
to get ratty looking, beat up looking, twisted, out of alignment etc..
Now think of this from a used car salesmans perspective, put a fresh
coat of paint on that car with no enigine cyou can sell it everytime..

The same holds true when showing up for a job with sparkling new tools
which may give them the impression that you are a neat freak and that
impresses the customers because they no absolutely nothing about what
you are really selling!


The thing is, if you sell an unprotected tool, how many get broken within a month by someone being clumsy or making a mistake, costing you the manufacturer a lot of money in replacements? I bought an 80 strimmer and got a free one in 2 weeks when I stalled it.

--
I used to eat nothing but natural foods.
Then I found one of the leading reasons for death was natural causes, so . . .

rbowman
Guest

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:45 am   



On 04/21/2018 12:05 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Quote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 18:53:08 +0100, rbowman <bowman_at_montana.com> wrote:

On 04/21/2018 06:18 AM, Al Borland wrote:
On 4/21/2018 8:11 AM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 12:54:04 +0100, Al Borland <al_at_binford-tool.edu
wrote:

On 4/21/2018 7:35 AM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
How hard can it be to put some kind of electronic limiter on a power
tool so if you over-stress it, it doesn't consume enough current to
melt the coils?

The motor is efficiently protected by voltage, current and
temperature sensors to prevent overloading. Stop buying junk and
start buying Hiltis.

https://www.hilti.com/cordless-systems/cordless-drills/r6636450#technical-data



I'm not talking about little cordless drills, I mean mains powered
tools of around a kilowatt. Even if they're cheap, surely these
sensors are a fraction of the price of the whole tool, and you'd get
so many less warranty returns.

Do you think you could handle a corded Hilti?


A powder actuated Hilti would be more fun. They are probably illegal in
the UK though.

They sell them on their UK website.
https://www.hilti.co.uk/direct-fastening/general-purpose-powder-actuated-tools-and-cartridges


Do you need a license? We needed one for some conduit we were running so
I sent one of my maintenance guys up to the rental place to pick one up.
He came back empty handed. It seems there was a short safety quiz before
they would rent one to cover their ass. Problem was my guy couldn't read
and they weren't doing a verbal quiz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDpvkwBBu6U

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife
Guest

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:45 am   



On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 03:26:41 +0100, rbowman <bowman_at_montana.com> wrote:

Quote:
On 04/21/2018 12:05 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 18:53:08 +0100, rbowman <bowman_at_montana.com> wrote:

On 04/21/2018 06:18 AM, Al Borland wrote:
On 4/21/2018 8:11 AM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 12:54:04 +0100, Al Borland <al_at_binford-tool.edu
wrote:

On 4/21/2018 7:35 AM, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
How hard can it be to put some kind of electronic limiter on a power
tool so if you over-stress it, it doesn't consume enough current to
melt the coils?

The motor is efficiently protected by voltage, current and
temperature sensors to prevent overloading. Stop buying junk and
start buying Hiltis.

https://www.hilti.com/cordless-systems/cordless-drills/r6636450#technical-data



I'm not talking about little cordless drills, I mean mains powered
tools of around a kilowatt. Even if they're cheap, surely these
sensors are a fraction of the price of the whole tool, and you'd get
so many less warranty returns.

Do you think you could handle a corded Hilti?


A powder actuated Hilti would be more fun. They are probably illegal in
the UK though.

They sell them on their UK website.
https://www.hilti.co.uk/direct-fastening/general-purpose-powder-actuated-tools-and-cartridges

Do you need a license? We needed one for some conduit we were running so
I sent one of my maintenance guys up to the rental place to pick one up.
He came back empty handed. It seems there was a short safety quiz before
they would rent one to cover their ass. Problem was my guy couldn't read
and they weren't doing a verbal quiz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDpvkwBBu6U


We don't have stupid rules like that over here. The ones we do have everybody ignores. Apparently I've to get a qualified electrician to fit outlets in my own fucking house. Yeah right.

--
I would defend the liberty of consenting adult creationists to practice whatever intellectual perversions they like in the privacy of their own homes; but it is also necessary to protect the young and innocent. -- Arthur C. Clarke

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronics - Why are motors not current limited?

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic version Bulgarian version Catalan version Czech version Danish version German version Greek version English version Spanish version Finnish version French version Hindi version Croatian version Indonesian version Italian version Hebrew version Japanese version Korean version Lithuanian version Latvian version Dutch version Norwegian version Polish version Portuguese version Romanian version Russian version Slovak version Slovenian version Serbian version Swedish version Tagalog version Ukrainian version Vietnamese version Chinese version Turkish version
EDAboard.com map