EDAboard.com | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | WTWH Media

WD-40 to clean electric contacts?

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Repair Electronics - WD-40 to clean electric contacts?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

John Robertson
Guest

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:45 pm   



On 2019/01/20 7:43 a.m., Chris wrote:
Quote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 13:43:39 +0000, Allodoxaphobia wrote:

And, you don't understand subtly.

He is thankful because he makes Good Money repairing stuff that the
klewless phuk up. One of those klewless actions is spraying WD-40
inside _anything_.

I think you mean "irony" - but I take your point now!


Indeed, I too misread it. Thought it was invented more recently.

I have certainly profited from the clueless use of WD. Turns oil to glue...

John :-#)#

--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
John's Jukes Ltd.
MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."

John Robertson
Guest

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:45 pm   



On 2019/01/20 11:09 a.m., Martin Gregorie wrote:
Quote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 10:21:01 -0800, joefed54 wrote:

i find the stuff very helpful for freeing up stubborn automotive
fasteners (this comment will itself will bring out a completely
different breed of haters ... rave on haters, i didn't say it was the
BEST).
it is also REALLY good for removing sticky goo.

WD-40 is very good for blasting dirt and fine sand out of the clockwork
timers used to stop the engine and dethermalise competition free flight
model aircraft after they've landed in mud or dust piles, but there are
drawbacks:

- if you've cleaned the timer with WD-40 after one flight,
its a very good idea to repeat the the treatment after every following
one.


That sounds like an argument to find a better product. Obviously the WD
is gumming up the works and now you have to use it to enable the
solvents to loosen up the goo.

Quote:

- remember to strip the timer and clean it thoroughly before the next
competition or trimming session.


Clean out the WD-40 residue I assume. There are much better aerosol
lubricants developed for the electronics industry that a spray to
prevent rust. Why not use one of those? MG Chemicals for one makes a
variety of lubricant cleaners that leave no residue to seize up the works...

Quote:

Failure to do both of these is very likely to cause the timer to run slow
or stop next time you fly the model. The likely result in case is a crash
or losing the model upwards in a thermal.


Because the WD-40 is gumming up the works.

Why not use salad oil, or anything else that is a liquid when warm but
congeals later?

Quote:

IOW, WD-40 is useful stuff but you *must* know its side effects and take
steps to mitigate them every time you use it.



WD-40 should only be used when you don't have access to better products,
then wash it out carefully and use the correct product. I have fixed
enough games gummed up through the use of WD-40 that I would prefer to
never see that gunk again.

John :-#)#

--
(Please post followups or tech inquiries to the USENET newsgroup)
John's Jukes Ltd.
MOVED to #7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
"Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."

Dumas Walker
Guest

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:31 pm   



Quote:
sorry, kids ... neither subtlety nor irony ... just a bit of exaggeration,
really.
i find the stuff very helpful for freeing up stubborn automotive fasteners
(this comment will itself will bring out a completely different breed of
hater
... rave on haters, i didn't say it was the BEST).
it is also REALLY good for removing sticky goo.


No hate here... I am with you on this. :)

---
* SLMR 2.1a * DALETECH - for all your home security needs!

Martin Gregorie
Guest

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:45 am   



On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 12:38:23 -0800, John Robertson wrote:

Quote:
WD-40 should only be used when you don't have access to better products,
then wash it out carefully and use the correct product. I have fixed
enough games gummed up through the use of WD-40 that I would prefer to
never see that gunk again.

No argument here. WD-40 was about all there was in spray bombs back in
the day, so we used it and, of necessity understood or soon learnt about
the consequences of using it. Reality being that WD-40 was about the only
waterproofing (hence sticky) penetrating oil available at the time, so
all that there was available at the time.

That the habit of using it has persistent can be put down to the fact
that it does the job provided you understand the side-effects and know
how to do with them.

I'm uncertain what replaces it - switch cleaner? - since blasting grit
out of a timer that has sat behind an engine burning 20:80 oil:methanol
needs WD-40's penetrating oil properties but without the dried-on, sticky
water-repelling coat it leaves behind.


--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Ralph Mowery
Guest

Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:45 am   



In article <q230n0$g3l$1_at_news.albasani.net>, martin_at_mydomain.invalid
says...
Quote:

I'm uncertain what replaces it - switch cleaner? - since blasting grit
out of a timer that has sat behind an engine burning 20:80 oil:methanol
needs WD-40's penetrating oil properties but without the dried-on, sticky
water-repelling coat it leaves behind.





Try Kroil. That is often hard to come by. Maybe PB Blaster will work.

Even some home brew mix of Ed's Red.

Tom Biasi
Guest

Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:45 am   



On 1/20/2019 1:21 PM, joefed54_at_gmail.com wrote:
Quote:
On Monday, 1 May 2017 09:07:51 UTC-7, Micky wrote:
WD-40 to clean electric contacts?

I'm on vacation and renting a room, and my landlady has a combination
CD/Radio/Cassette?, very compact, portable, works well except fo the
little on/off/CD slide switch.

The switch doesn't easily make contact, even when pushed to and past
the On position. So it's hard to get the radio on, and it turns off
by itself in about 30 minutes. Moving the switch back and forth 10
times to clean it hasn't worked yet.

Normally what I would do is spray contact cleaner or tuner cleaner in
the switch from above, where the plastic slider that goes over the
switch is, And normally that doesn't accomplish much.

Even taking such things apart and spraying the switch from underneath
has taken longer to work than for rheostats, for example, and here I
don't want to take it apart. She's only my landlady.

I don't know where in this non-English-speaking country to buy
contact cleaner and she might balk at the extra money, but she does
have something in an aerosol can that looks mighty like WD-40.

I have this vague recollection that WD-40 is good to clean electric
contacts?? Either that or it's bad for them. Should I try it.

BTW, I want to use the radio, so that's one big reason I want it
fixed. When it stopped playing while she was there, she said, "Oh,
yeah, maybe that's why I bought another one" (She speaks English.)

sorry, kids ... neither subtlety nor irony ... just a bit of exaggeration, really.
i find the stuff very helpful for freeing up stubborn automotive fasteners (this comment will itself will bring out a completely different breed of haters ... rave on haters, i didn't say it was the BEST).
it is also REALLY good for removing sticky goo.

Perhaps if you used it for it's intended purpose. A water displacement.
Not a lubricant, not a cleaner.

Phil Allison
Guest

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:45 am   



Tom Biasi wrote:

Quote:


Perhaps if you used it for it's intended purpose. A water displacement.
Not a lubricant, not a cleaner.



** WD-40 is specified as being "multi purpose'

Like many similar products, it's a lubricant, cleaner, grease solvent and a good penetrant.

WD-40 haters are all lunatics.



..... Phil

Tom Biasi
Guest

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:45 am   



On 1/20/2019 11:48 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
Quote:
Tom Biasi wrote:



Perhaps if you used it for it's intended purpose. A water displacement.
Not a lubricant, not a cleaner.



** WD-40 is specified as being "multi purpose'

Like many similar products, it's a lubricant, cleaner, grease solvent and a good penetrant.

WD-40 haters are all lunatics.



.... Phil

You are correct. It is listed as multi use nowadays. There are also many
other product types that use the name WD40. https://www.wd40.com/

Look165
Guest

Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:45 am   



Try to clean dishes with it !!!

Tom Biasi a écrit le 21/01/2019 à 05:56 :
Quote:
On 1/20/2019 11:48 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
Tom Biasi wrote:



Perhaps if you used it for it's intended purpose. A water displacement.
Not a lubricant, not a cleaner.



  ** WD-40 is specified as being  "multi purpose'
     Like many similar products, it's a lubricant, cleaner, grease
solvent and a good penetrant.

WD-40 haters are all lunatics.



....  Phil

You are correct. It is listed as multi use nowadays. There are also
many other product types that use the name WD40. https://www.wd40.com/



pfjw@aol.com
Guest

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:45 pm   



Here we go again!

WD-40 is not:

A lubricant.
A contact cleaner.
Sticky or gummy.

It is a 100% volatile light solvent, mostly ultra-refined kerosene, designed to displace water so that whatever it is may be cleaned or lubricated with something designed for the purpose.

A sticky, gummy mess is what happens when existing skunge dissolves into WD-40 and is then distributed throughout whatever it is - for which the WD-40 is then blamed.

The stuff is a cheap rinse, quite useful for removing and loosening skunge, rust and other detritus *IN PREPARATION FOR* the correct permanent treatment.

One useful purpose - spray on snow-blower tines prior to use. It helps to keep things moving. Similarly lawn-mower blades and pan. Less build-up.

Cleaning audio controls - Not so much unless followed up with the correct permanent solution thereafter. But, if it is between that and landfill - have at!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Martin Gregorie
Guest

Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:45 pm   



On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 23:17:49 -0500, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Quote:
In article <q230n0$g3l$1_at_news.albasani.net>, martin_at_mydomain.invalid
says...

I'm uncertain what replaces it - switch cleaner? - since blasting grit
out of a timer that has sat behind an engine burning 20:80 oil:methanol
needs WD-40's penetrating oil properties but without the dried-on,
sticky water-repelling coat it leaves behind.





Try Kroil. That is often hard to come by. Maybe PB Blaster will work.

Even some home brew mix of Ed's Red.


That looks promising. Thanks.


--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Martin Gregorie
Guest

Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:45 pm   



On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 20:48:21 -0800, Phil Allison wrote:

Quote:
** WD-40 is specified as being "multi purpose'

Advertising. If you go to their site and read the FAQs it says quite
clearly that the original WD-40 is a water-displacing anti-corrosion
product.

They also make a range of other products which are carb cleaners,
penetrating oils, etc., but these are all sold under the
"WD-40 Specialist..." label.

I think you're referring to "WD-40 Multi-use Product" rather than the
original WD-40.


--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org


Guest

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:45 pm   



On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 12:07:51 PM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
Quote:
WD-40 to clean electric contacts?

I'm on vacation and renting a room, and my landlady has a combination
CD/Radio/Cassette?, very compact, portable, works well except fo the
little on/off/CD slide switch.

The switch doesn't easily make contact, even when pushed to and past
the On position. So it's hard to get the radio on, and it turns off
by itself in about 30 minutes. Moving the switch back and forth 10
times to clean it hasn't worked yet.

Normally what I would do is spray contact cleaner or tuner cleaner in
the switch from above, where the plastic slider that goes over the
switch is, And normally that doesn't accomplish much.

Even taking such things apart and spraying the switch from underneath
has taken longer to work than for rheostats, for example, and here I
don't want to take it apart. She's only my landlady.

I don't know where in this non-English-speaking country to buy
contact cleaner and she might balk at the extra money, but she does
have something in an aerosol can that looks mighty like WD-40.

I have this vague recollection that WD-40 is good to clean electric
contacts?? Either that or it's bad for them. Should I try it.

BTW, I want to use the radio, so that's one big reason I want it
fixed. When it stopped playing while she was there, she said, "Oh,
yeah, maybe that's why I bought another one" (She speaks English.)


WD40 - it is a desert topping...no, its a floor wax....Hey, its BOTH. LOL - liberally borrowed from an old SNL skit...
Which pretty much sums up my feeling about WD40

Phil Allison
Guest

Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:45 pm   



pf...@aol.com wrote:
Quote:


Here we go again!


** With a congenital lunatic like you at the helm.


Quote:
WD-40 is not:

A lubricant.


** Yes is is.

> A contact cleaner.

** Yes it is.

> Sticky or gummy.

** One out of three.

Quote:

It is a 100% volatile light solvent,


** Wrong. The solvent part is about 80%.


Quote:
mostly ultra-refined kerosene,


** Wrong again.

Quote:
designed to displace water


** But rarely used for that.

Quote:
so that whatever it is may be cleaned or lubricated with
something designed for the purpose.


** Half witted bullshit.


Quote:
A sticky, gummy mess is what happens when existing skunge dissolves
into WD-40 and is then distributed throughout whatever it is
- for which the WD-40 is then blamed.


** Happens a lot.

Quote:

The stuff is a cheap rinse, quite useful for removing and loosening skunge, rust and other detritus *IN PREPARATION FOR* the correct permanent treatment.


** Absurd crap from a serial bullshitter.



Quote:

Cleaning audio controls - Not so much unless followed up with
the correct permanent solution thereafter.


** Aside from a new control, there is no "permanent solution".


Quote:

Peter Wieck


**Wot a wanker........




..... Phil

pfjw@aol.com
Guest

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:45 pm   



Twit:

That would be twice.

Write it again, and you have presented with the Bellman's Proof. As much a fallacy now as it was then.

"Just the place for a Snark!" the Bellman cried,
As he landed his crew with care;
Supporting each man on the top of the tide
By a finger entwined in his hair.

"Just the place for a Snark! I have said it twice:
That alone should encourage the crew.
Just the place for a Snark! I have said it thrice:
What I tell you three times is true."

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Repair Electronics - WD-40 to clean electric contacts?

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic version Bulgarian version Catalan version Czech version Danish version German version Greek version English version Spanish version Finnish version French version Hindi version Croatian version Indonesian version Italian version Hebrew version Japanese version Korean version Lithuanian version Latvian version Dutch version Norwegian version Polish version Portuguese version Romanian version Russian version Slovak version Slovenian version Serbian version Swedish version Tagalog version Ukrainian version Vietnamese version Chinese version Turkish version
EDAboard.com map