EDAboard.com | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | WTWH Media

Vintage TV repair test equipment

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Repair Electronics - Vintage TV repair test equipment


Guest

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:45 pm   



Over the years I have acquired a lot of vintage test equipment. I still
use most of it, but I have the following, which I think is something I
will never use. I only work on Tube gear, or real early transistor stuff
without chips. That means I will never work on any flat screen modern
HDTV televisions.

There are three devices:

1. Flyback tester. I KNOW that is obsolete, modern TVs dont have
flybacks, only CRTs use them.

2. Sweep generator and marker. This one I am not sure about????

3. Bar Generator. (Puts colored bars both horizontal and vertical on the
screen). [This one I guess is still useful.]

I also have one of those High Voltage Probes for my Eico VTVM. That I
know is obsolete and is only for CRT sets.

Anyhow, I'm thinking of selling some of this stuff. I like collecting
and restoring old tube radios, stereos, and audio and guitar amplifiers,
but I dont have room for old tube television sets, even though it would
be nice having one of those antiques. But I dont really plan to do
anymore work on televisions. My own TVs and computer monitors are all
flat screen types now, and if they die, I will simply replace them,
unless its a simple repair such as a blown fuse, bad power switch or a
broken wire.

---
The reason that most of the old wax capacitors have failed, is because
the bees wax was gotten from "Low Tech" bees!


Guest

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:45 pm   



On Monday, 7 January 2019 19:33:27 UTC, tub...@myshop.com wrote:

Quote:
Over the years I have acquired a lot of vintage test equipment. I still
use most of it, but I have the following, which I think is something I
will never use. I only work on Tube gear, or real early transistor stuff
without chips. That means I will never work on any flat screen modern
HDTV televisions.

There are three devices:

1. Flyback tester. I KNOW that is obsolete, modern TVs dont have
flybacks, only CRTs use them.

2. Sweep generator and marker. This one I am not sure about????

3. Bar Generator. (Puts colored bars both horizontal and vertical on the
screen). [This one I guess is still useful.]


I don't see how that would be useful. A computer can put anything at all onto a video signal, not stuck to a few preset testcard images.

Quote:
I also have one of those High Voltage Probes for my Eico VTVM. That I
know is obsolete and is only for CRT sets.


There are people working with HV

Quote:
Anyhow, I'm thinking of selling some of this stuff. I like collecting
and restoring old tube radios, stereos, and audio and guitar amplifiers,
but I dont have room for old tube television sets, even though it would
be nice having one of those antiques. But I dont really plan to do
anymore work on televisions.


Some old TVs are as small as radios eg Ekco TMB272.

Quote:
My own TVs and computer monitors are all
flat screen types now, and if they die, I will simply replace them,
unless its a simple repair such as a blown fuse, bad power switch or a
broken wire.


bad psu caps are often worth testing for

Quote:
The reason that most of the old wax capacitors have failed, is because
the bees wax was gotten from "Low Tech" bees!


NT

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Repair Electronics - Vintage TV repair test equipment

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic version Bulgarian version Catalan version Czech version Danish version German version Greek version English version Spanish version Finnish version French version Hindi version Croatian version Indonesian version Italian version Hebrew version Japanese version Korean version Lithuanian version Latvian version Dutch version Norwegian version Polish version Portuguese version Romanian version Russian version Slovak version Slovenian version Serbian version Swedish version Tagalog version Ukrainian version Vietnamese version Chinese version Turkish version
EDAboard.com map