EDAboard.com | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | WTWH Media

Using a TO-220 heat sink

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronic for beginners - Using a TO-220 heat sink

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Adam Funk
Guest

Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:45 am   



Hi,

To attach an LM317 (for example) in the TO-220 format to the
corresponding heat sink (see link below), is it useful to apply any
thermal paste in addition to the flexible mat that comes with the heat
sink?

<https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VAKIND-10pcs-lot-Computer-Cooling-Accessories-Heatsink-Heat-Sink-With-Screw-Sets-15-20mm-For-TO/32802123591.html>

Thanks.


--
XML combines the efficiency of text files with the readability of
binary files.

Rheilly Phoull
Guest

Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:45 pm   



On 26/04/2018 5:17 PM, Adam Funk wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

To attach an LM317 (for example) in the TO-220 format to the
corresponding heat sink (see link below), is it useful to apply any
thermal paste in addition to the flexible mat that comes with the heat
sink?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VAKIND-10pcs-lot-Computer-Cooling-Accessories-Heatsink-Heat-Sink-With-Screw-Sets-15-20mm-For-TO/32802123591.html

Thanks.



I would Smile

George Herold
Guest

Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:45 pm   



On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 5:30:07 AM UTC-4, Adam Funk wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

To attach an LM317 (for example) in the TO-220 format to the
corresponding heat sink (see link below), is it useful to apply any
thermal paste in addition to the flexible mat that comes with the heat
sink?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VAKIND-10pcs-lot-Computer-Cooling-Accessories-Heatsink-Heat-Sink-With-Screw-Sets-15-20mm-For-TO/32802123591.html

Thanks.


--
XML combines the efficiency of text files with the readability of
binary files.


How much heat are you dissipating? (can you float the heat sink?)
I usually don't use any thermal paste with a sil pad.

George H.

Cursitor Doom
Guest

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:45 pm   



On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 19:42:19 +0800, Rheilly Phoull wrote:

> I would :-)

Me too. But only apply very, very sparingly.





--
This message may be freely reproduced without limit or charge only via
the Usenet protocol. Reproduction in whole or part through other
protocols, whether for profit or not, is conditional upon a charge of
GBP10.00 per reproduction. Publication in this manner via non-Usenet
protocols constitutes acceptance of this condition.

Rheilly Phoull
Guest

Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:45 am   



On 28/04/2018 3:50 AM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Quote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 19:42:19 +0800, Rheilly Phoull wrote:

I would :-)

Me too. But only apply very, very sparingly.





Agreed, also I missed the power dissipation angle. If it was only low
power it's not worth the effort.

Cursitor Doom
Guest

Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:45 am   



On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 08:37:21 +0800, Rheilly Phoull wrote:

Quote:
On 28/04/2018 3:50 AM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 19:42:19 +0800, Rheilly Phoull wrote:

I would :-)

Me too. But only apply very, very sparingly.





Agreed, also I missed the power dissipation angle. If it was only low
power it's not worth the effort.


Good point. If the load is light enough he doesn't need an additional
heat sink at all.





--
This message may be freely reproduced without limit or charge only via
the Usenet protocol. Reproduction in whole or part through other
protocols, whether for profit or not, is conditional upon a charge of
GBP10.00 per reproduction. Publication in this manner via non-Usenet
protocols constitutes acceptance of this condition.

Phil Hobbs
Guest

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:45 pm   



On 04/26/18 05:17, Adam Funk wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

To attach an LM317 (for example) in the TO-220 format to the
corresponding heat sink (see link below), is it useful to apply any
thermal paste in addition to the flexible mat that comes with the heat
sink?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VAKIND-10pcs-lot-Computer-Cooling-Accessories-Heatsink-Heat-Sink-With-Screw-Sets-15-20mm-For-TO/32802123591.html

Thanks.



I'd compare it to a real silpad and see. If the pad itself has poor
thermal conductivity, grease won't help.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Jasen Betts
Guest

Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:45 pm   



On 2018-04-26, Adam Funk <a24061_at_ducksburg.com> wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

To attach an LM317 (for example) in the TO-220 format to the
corresponding heat sink (see link below), is it useful to apply any
thermal paste in addition to the flexible mat that comes with the heat
sink?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VAKIND-10pcs-lot-Computer-Cooling-Accessories-Heatsink-Heat-Sink-With-Screw-Sets-15-20mm-For-TO/32802123591.html


I'd use paste only, unless an electrical connection between regulator
and heatsink would cause problems. That rubber stuff is for when you
need an insulator between the TO220 and the heatsink.

--
ت

Cursitor Doom
Guest

Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:45 pm   



On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 12:09:43 -0400, Phil Hobbs wrote:

Quote:
I'd compare it to a real silpad and see. If the pad itself has poor
thermal conductivity, grease won't help.


That's why I prefer the old mica pads.





--
This message may be freely reproduced without limit or charge only via
the Usenet protocol. Reproduction in whole or part through other
protocols, whether for profit or not, is conditional upon a charge of
GBP10.00 per reproduction. Publication in this manner via non-Usenet
protocols constitutes acceptance of this condition.

Phil Hobbs
Guest

Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:45 pm   



On 04/29/18 10:19, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Quote:
On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 12:09:43 -0400, Phil Hobbs wrote:

I'd compare it to a real silpad and see. If the pad itself has poor
thermal conductivity, grease won't help.

That's why I prefer the old mica pads.


Mica is OK, and so is hard anodized aluminum plus grease.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs


--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Cursitor Doom
Guest

Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:45 pm   



On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 11:50:39 -0400, Phil Hobbs wrote:

Quote:
On 04/29/18 10:19, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 12:09:43 -0400, Phil Hobbs wrote:

I'd compare it to a real silpad and see. If the pad itself has poor
thermal conductivity, grease won't help.

That's why I prefer the old mica pads.

Mica is OK, and so is hard anodized aluminum plus grease.


Not if you need electrical isolation.




--
This message may be freely reproduced without limit or charge only via
the Usenet protocol. Reproduction in whole or part through other
protocols, whether for profit or not, is conditional upon a charge of
GBP10.00 per reproduction. Publication in this manner via non-Usenet
protocols constitutes acceptance of this condition.

Phil Hobbs
Guest

Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:45 pm   



On 04/29/18 13:16, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Quote:
On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 11:50:39 -0400, Phil Hobbs wrote:

On 04/29/18 10:19, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 12:09:43 -0400, Phil Hobbs wrote:

I'd compare it to a real silpad and see. If the pad itself has poor
thermal conductivity, grease won't help.

That's why I prefer the old mica pads.

Mica is OK, and so is hard anodized aluminum plus grease.

Not if you need electrical isolation.


Works fine up to a few hundred volts--there are commercial thermal
insulators made that way. YCLIU.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Ralph Mowery
Guest

Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:45 pm   



In article <pc4ulb$5oo$25_at_dont-email.me>, curd_at_notformail.com says...
Quote:
That's why I prefer the old mica pads.

Mica is OK, and so is hard anodized aluminum plus grease.

Not if you need electrical isolation.




The only reason I know of to use mica or the anoidized aluminum plus
grease for them is when you need electrical isolation, otherwise just
use the grease or one of the rubber type pads. The pads are good for
isolation or heat transfer.

Phil Hobbs
Guest

Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:45 pm   



On 04/29/18 16:56, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Quote:
In article <pc4ulb$5oo$25_at_dont-email.me>, curd_at_notformail.com says...
That's why I prefer the old mica pads.

Mica is OK, and so is hard anodized aluminum plus grease.

Not if you need electrical isolation.




The only reason I know of to use mica or the anoidized aluminum plus
grease for them is when you need electrical isolation, otherwise just
use the grease or one of the rubber type pads. The pads are good for
isolation or heat transfer.

Hopefully both, but either way they're inferior to mica + good HS
grease. A lot cleaner and more convenient though!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Phil Allison
Guest

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:45 am   



Rheilly Phoull wrote:

Quote:


Me too. But only apply very, very sparingly.



Agreed, also I missed the power dissipation angle. If it was only low
power it's not worth the effort.



** The TO220 heatsinks in the pic are only good for a couple of watts in free air - so device dissipation is low.

Device temp will only vary a few degrees using different mounting interfaces.


.... Phil

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronic for beginners - Using a TO-220 heat sink

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic version Bulgarian version Catalan version Czech version Danish version German version Greek version English version Spanish version Finnish version French version Hindi version Croatian version Indonesian version Italian version Hebrew version Japanese version Korean version Lithuanian version Latvian version Dutch version Norwegian version Polish version Portuguese version Romanian version Russian version Slovak version Slovenian version Serbian version Swedish version Tagalog version Ukrainian version Vietnamese version Chinese version Turkish version
EDAboard.com map