EDAboard.com | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | WTWH Media

Thermionic valve projects?

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronic for beginners - Thermionic valve projects?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Cursitor Doom
Guest

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:45 pm   



On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 18:42:08 +0100, Peter Percival wrote:

> The worst that can happen is that I'll electrocute myself.

You'll find after a few years you just get used to it.





--
This message may be freely reproduced without limit or charge only via
the Usenet protocol. Reproduction in whole or part through other
protocols, whether for profit or not, is conditional upon a charge of
GBP10.00 per reproduction. Publication in this manner via non-Usenet
protocols constitutes acceptance of this condition.

default
Guest

Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:45 pm   



On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 18:42:08 +0100, Peter Percival
<peterxpercival_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>The worst that can happen is that I'll electrocute myself.

That's one of those things that if you survive the first time, you
never, ever, want to do it again. I like to put the power cord in my
pocket when working on Tesla coils.

HV DC is probably worse than AC, but none of that stuff is to be taken
lightly. Stay safe. You can be macho without being stupid.

wbeaty
Guest

Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:45 am   



On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 7:36:24 AM UTC-7, Peter Percival wrote:
Quote:
Here https://www.rapidonline.com/valves there are a variety of
thermionic valves. Where can I find projects that utilize them? I'll
also need a HT power supply. Any thoughts?


I only know the weird stuff...

inverted tube as hi-Z electrometer
http://oddmix.com/tech/vct_inverted_tube_circuit.html

spacescharge tubes: B+ twelve volts
http://oddmix.com/tech/vct_low_voltage_space_charge_tubes.html

Lots of weird ancient projects, "The Experimenter" mag from 1925, in .pdf
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/The_Experimenterr.htm

Misc. tube-theory secrets
http://web.archive.org/web/20070621145202/https://www.du.edu/~etuttle/electron/elect27.htm#ConPot

the Plasma Tweeter (v.t. power-osc w/rf arc)
http://www.plasmatweeter.de/eng_plasma.htm

X-ray strobe light
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&u=http://www.rapp-instruments.de/diverse/marx2/marx2.htm

Sideview-style Magic-Eye tubes $1.25 each (phosphor-coated anode)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113257385180
(also nixies, power-osc tubes, oddities.)

6BC1 shunt-regulator tube as x-ray point-source
http://www.danyk.cz/rtg2_en.html

Peter Percival
Guest

Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:45 am   



wbeaty wrote:
Quote:
On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 7:36:24 AM UTC-7, Peter Percival wrote:
Here https://www.rapidonline.com/valves there are a variety of
thermionic valves. Where can I find projects that utilize them? I'll
also need a HT power supply. Any thoughts?


I only know the weird stuff...


So much the better! Thanks.

Quote:
inverted tube as hi-Z electrometer
http://oddmix.com/tech/vct_inverted_tube_circuit.html

spacescharge tubes: B+ twelve volts
http://oddmix.com/tech/vct_low_voltage_space_charge_tubes.html

Lots of weird ancient projects, "The Experimenter" mag from 1925, in .pdf
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/The_Experimenterr.htm

Misc. tube-theory secrets
http://web.archive.org/web/20070621145202/https://www.du.edu/~etuttle/electron/elect27.htm#ConPot

the Plasma Tweeter (v.t. power-osc w/rf arc)
http://www.plasmatweeter.de/eng_plasma.htm

X-ray strobe light
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&u=http://www.rapp-instruments.de/diverse/marx2/marx2.htm

Sideview-style Magic-Eye tubes $1.25 each (phosphor-coated anode)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113257385180
(also nixies, power-osc tubes, oddities.)

6BC1 shunt-regulator tube as x-ray point-source
http://www.danyk.cz/rtg2_en.html



--
"He who will not reason is a bigot;
he who cannot is a fool;
he who dares not is a slave."
- Sir William Drummond

wbeaty
Guest

Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:45 pm   



More weird tube circuits (pdf):

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio-Craft/PUBLICATIONS/Radio-Craft-1946-Unusual-Patented-Circuits-1944-1946-30.pdf

My favorite is the high-speed microwave beam-scanner based on
reflecting the microwaves off of the sweeping electron-beam
inside an oscilloscope CRT. (We forget that electron-clouds
are a conductor. A SINGLE ELECTRON is a conductor: when
exposed to a voltage, a current appears! Same with ions in a
vacuum. A moving electron-cloud is a moving mirror for radio
waves. So weeeeird.)



Also, page way down on this below, for lots of PDF booklets
for tubes-hobbyists
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Hugo_Gernsback.htm

default
Guest

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:45 pm   



On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 13:39:49 -0700 (PDT), wbeaty <billb_at_eskimo.com>
wrote:

Quote:

More weird tube circuits (pdf):

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio-Craft/PUBLICATIONS/Radio-Craft-1946-Unusual-Patented-Circuits-1944-1946-30.pdf

My favorite is the high-speed microwave beam-scanner based on
reflecting the microwaves off of the sweeping electron-beam
inside an oscilloscope CRT. (We forget that electron-clouds
are a conductor. A SINGLE ELECTRON is a conductor: when
exposed to a voltage, a current appears! Same with ions in a
vacuum. A moving electron-cloud is a moving mirror for radio
waves. So weeeeird.)



Also, page way down on this below, for lots of PDF booklets
for tubes-hobbyists
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Hugo_Gernsback.htm


That brings back some memories.

Rheilly Phoull
Guest

Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:45 am   



On 21/07/2019 1:42 am, Peter Percival wrote:
Quote:
Peter Percival wrote:
Here https://www.rapidonline.com/valves there are a variety of
thermionic valves.  Where can I find projects that utilize them?  I'll
also need a HT power supply.

For the latter, I though building my own would be a good idea.  And if
building one is a good idea then building two must be twice as good.
Thus -

(a) http://www.pmillett.com/HV_bench_supply.htm;
(b)
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QST/This%20Month%20in%20QST/August%202014/JULSTROM.pdf.


The worst that can happen is that I'll electrocute myself.

  Any thoughts?



You will have to dig deep in the pocket if it takes 5 807's and to find
the tranny would be fun Smile

Peter Percival
Guest

Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:45 pm   



wbeaty wrote:
Quote:

More weird tube circuits (pdf):

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio-Craft/PUBLICATIONS/Radio-Craft-1946-Unusual-Patented-Circuits-1944-1946-30.pdf

My favorite is the high-speed microwave beam-scanner based on
reflecting the microwaves off of the sweeping electron-beam
inside an oscilloscope CRT. (We forget that electron-clouds
are a conductor. A SINGLE ELECTRON is a conductor: when
exposed to a voltage, a current appears! Same with ions in a
vacuum. A moving electron-cloud is a moving mirror for radio
waves. So weeeeird.)



Also, page way down on this below, for lots of PDF booklets
for tubes-hobbyists
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Hugo_Gernsback.htm


That looks like a lot of interesting stuff. Thank you.
Quote:



--
"He who will not reason is a bigot;
he who cannot is a fool;
he who dares not is a slave."
- Sir William Drummond

Goto page Previous  1, 2

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronic for beginners - Thermionic valve projects?

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic version Bulgarian version Catalan version Czech version Danish version German version Greek version English version Spanish version Finnish version French version Hindi version Croatian version Indonesian version Italian version Hebrew version Japanese version Korean version Lithuanian version Latvian version Dutch version Norwegian version Polish version Portuguese version Romanian version Russian version Slovak version Slovenian version Serbian version Swedish version Tagalog version Ukrainian version Vietnamese version Chinese version Turkish version
EDAboard.com map