EDAboard.com | EDAboard.eu | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | RTV forum PL | NewsGroups PL

the beginning of the end, I hope

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronics Design - the beginning of the end, I hope

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

John Larkin
Guest

Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:14 am   



http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-09/chilling-thing-twitter-just-said-about-san-francisco%E2%80%99s-office-bubble


--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com


Guest

Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:14 am   



YFBSSWPROOM.

That means Useless Fucking Bullshit Stops Selling When People Run Out Of Money.

Rob
Guest

Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:10 pm   



John Larkin <jjlarkin_at_highlandtechnology.com> wrote:
Quote:


I guess they tried to implement an increase of the 140 character limit
using that workforce, found they could not do it, then decided to abandon
that ambituous project?

Jim Thompson
Guest

Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:21 pm   



On 10 Aug 2016 13:10:56 GMT, Rob <nomail_at_example.com> wrote:

[snip]
Quote:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-09/chilling-thing-twitter-just-said-about-san-francisco%E2%80%99s-office-bubble

I guess they tried to implement an increase of the 140 character limit
using that workforce, found they could not do it, then decided to abandon
that ambituous project?


It's Californica... had to happen sooner or later.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |
| Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat |
| E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

Lasse Langwadt Christense
Guest

Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:24 pm   



Den onsdag den 10. august 2016 kl. 20.11.22 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:
Quote:
On 10 Aug 2016 13:10:56 GMT, Rob <nomail_at_example.com> wrote:

John Larkin <jjlarkin_at_highlandtechnology.com> wrote:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-09/chilling-thing-twitter-just-said-about-san-francisco%E2%80%99s-office-bubble

I guess they tried to implement an increase of the 140 character limit
using that workforce, found they could not do it, then decided to abandon
that ambituous project?

I never understood why it takes thousands of "software engineers" to
support posting 140 character comments. Seems like one decent
programmed could do the whole thing.


it gets a bit more complicated when you have to handle 500million tweets a day
from 300 million users and have keep track of who gets what, who blocks who etc.

-Lasse

Rob
Guest

Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:16 pm   



Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon_at_On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:
Quote:
On 10 Aug 2016 13:10:56 GMT, Rob <nomail_at_example.com> wrote:

[snip]

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-09/chilling-thing-twitter-just-said-about-san-francisco%E2%80%99s-office-bubble

I guess they tried to implement an increase of the 140 character limit
using that workforce, found they could not do it, then decided to abandon
that ambituous project?

It's Californica... had to happen sooner or later.


I think it is better when twitter go out of business.

They set up their service as a "what am i doing" report, for which
140 characters is enough and the limit would encourage people to
be concise, however today it is used almost exlusively to post
news and opinions, and the 140 character limit leads only to
misunderstandings. It is kind of difficult to write a balanced
opinion in 140 characters.

Given the fact that they don't want to change their service, it
is better when it dies and is replaced by something more flexible.

Jim Thompson
Guest

Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:31 pm   



On 10 Aug 2016 17:16:01 GMT, Rob <nomail_at_example.com> wrote:

Quote:
Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon_at_On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:
On 10 Aug 2016 13:10:56 GMT, Rob <nomail_at_example.com> wrote:

[snip]

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-09/chilling-thing-twitter-just-said-about-san-francisco%E2%80%99s-office-bubble

I guess they tried to implement an increase of the 140 character limit
using that workforce, found they could not do it, then decided to abandon
that ambituous project?

It's Californica... had to happen sooner or later.

I think it is better when twitter go out of business.

They set up their service as a "what am i doing" report, for which
140 characters is enough and the limit would encourage people to
be concise, however today it is used almost exlusively to post
news and opinions, and the 140 character limit leads only to
misunderstandings. It is kind of difficult to write a balanced
opinion in 140 characters.

Given the fact that they don't want to change their service, it
is better when it dies and is replaced by something more flexible.


Or just dies with no replacement... Twitter, Facebook and the like are
part and parcel of the destruction of our moral fiber.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |
| Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat |
| E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |

I'm looking for work... see my website.

amdx
Guest

Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:33 pm   



On 8/9/2016 6:14 PM, John Larkin wrote:
Quote:


I just hope none of my REITs is heavy in San Franciso.
Long VTR, HCP, NLY, CIM, CYS, ORC, DX, and IVR.
Average dividend is over 9.8%.
Want income, look into REITs and REIT preferreds.
Just left Yahoo Finance and the Motley Fool websites,
so I'm in stock mode.
Mikek

John Larkin
Guest

Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:11 am   



On 10 Aug 2016 13:10:56 GMT, Rob <nomail_at_example.com> wrote:

Quote:
John Larkin <jjlarkin_at_highlandtechnology.com> wrote:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-09/chilling-thing-twitter-just-said-about-san-francisco%E2%80%99s-office-bubble

I guess they tried to implement an increase of the 140 character limit
using that workforce, found they could not do it, then decided to abandon
that ambituous project?


I never understood why it takes thousands of "software engineers" to
support posting 140 character comments. Seems like one decent
programmed could do the whole thing.


--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

John Larkin
Guest

Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:17 am   



On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 12:33:52 -0500, amdx <nojunk_at_knology.net> wrote:

Quote:
On 8/9/2016 6:14 PM, John Larkin wrote:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-09/chilling-thing-twitter-just-said-about-san-francisco%E2%80%99s-office-bubble



I just hope none of my REITs is heavy in San Franciso.
Long VTR, HCP, NLY, CIM, CYS, ORC, DX, and IVR.
Average dividend is over 9.8%.
Want income, look into REITs and REIT preferreds.
Just left Yahoo Finance and the Motley Fool websites,
so I'm in stock mode.
Mikek


We may well be headed for another real estate bust. People (which
includes economists, politicians, bankers, and investors) can see
hundreds of years of basically identical bubbles, and still think that
this time is different. Mostly idiots.

Good book:

http://tinyurl.com/zoqafk2

Which makes a convincing case that most experts, and most published
research, are usually wrong.

A giant RE bust would please me, just now.



--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

rickman
Guest

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:46 am   



On 8/10/2016 2:17 PM, John Larkin wrote:
Quote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 12:33:52 -0500, amdx <nojunk_at_knology.net> wrote:

On 8/9/2016 6:14 PM, John Larkin wrote:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-09/chilling-thing-twitter-just-said-about-san-francisco%E2%80%99s-office-bubble



I just hope none of my REITs is heavy in San Franciso.
Long VTR, HCP, NLY, CIM, CYS, ORC, DX, and IVR.
Average dividend is over 9.8%.
Want income, look into REITs and REIT preferreds.
Just left Yahoo Finance and the Motley Fool websites,
so I'm in stock mode.
Mikek

We may well be headed for another real estate bust. People (which
includes economists, politicians, bankers, and investors) can see
hundreds of years of basically identical bubbles, and still think that
this time is different. Mostly idiots.

Good book:

http://tinyurl.com/zoqafk2

Which makes a convincing case that most experts, and most published
research, are usually wrong.

A giant RE bust would please me, just now.


Why would we have a bust? We clearly are not in a bubble. There are
very few times in the last 100+ years that the price of real estate has
gone below the adjusted for inflation norm. It is not uncommon however
to see it go up and eventually return.

So if real estate prices are not high, why would they drop? Even if
they do due to some local, temporary event, they will shortly return.

--

Rick C

Joe Chisolm
Guest

Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:59 am   



On Tue, 09 Aug 2016 16:14:55 -0700, John Larkin wrote:

Quote:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-09/chilling-thing-twitter-just-
said-about-san-francisco%E2%80%99s-office-bubble


Given what twitter really does:

"The four floors it put on the sublease market total 183,642 square feet
of “fully furnished” office space with workstations for 1,416 employees"

Space for 1400+ employees, or this:

"The floor comes with “600 workstations, 49 conference rooms, multiple
collaboration/lounge areas, 2 kitchens, 2 training rooms, and a
Mother’s room,” according to the brochure."

They took that IPO money and had a hell of a good time.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

George Herold
Guest

Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:14 am   



On Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 7:15:06 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
Quote:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-09/chilling-thing-twitter-just-said-about-san-francisco%E2%80%99s-office-bubble


--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com


I heard some npr story on the way home about how,
"crazy money" is making SF silly... and no place for
"normal" people making less than ~$100k/yr.

George H.


Guest

Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:45 am   



On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 11:14:08 AM UTC+10, George Herold wrote:
Quote:
On Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 7:15:06 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-09/chilling-thing-twitter-just-said-about-san-francisco%E2%80%99s-office-bubble

I heard some npr story on the way home about how,
"crazy money" is making SF silly... and no place for
"normal" people making less than ~$100k/yr.


Freakonomics talks about the added value of living places where there are a lot of different experts, and different kinds of experts, close enough that you can interact with them.

That does push up property values. It breaks down when the up-and-coming experts can't afford to move there.

Good public transport enlarges the area over which you can interact, and high-density housing enlarges the number of people you can fit into that area..

Normal people aren't experts, but experts need normal people to teach their kids, and the like, so rising property prices do make these kinds of hubs less attractive places to live, as opposed to work.

SF may not be enough more expensive than less attractive places for the higher property prices to constitute a bubble. A bubble needs a certain amount of mass insanity to blow itself up to dangerous proportions.

When you colleagues start recommending investing in something or other which you wouldn't expect them to know much about, you can recognise that you are in the last stages of a bubble, when it's started looking like a pyramid scam that has run out of suckers, but that's a pretty late stage symptom.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Jeff Liebermann
Guest

Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:43 am   



On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 15:46:09 -0400, rickman <gnuarm_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:
Why would we have a bust? We clearly are not in a bubble. There are
very few times in the last 100+ years that the price of real estate has
gone below the adjusted for inflation norm. It is not uncommon however
to see it go up and eventually return.

So if real estate prices are not high, why would they drop? Even if
they do due to some local, temporary event, they will shortly return.


Home (i.e. non-commercial) values have increased, but not uniformly
across the country. 23% for the national average in the last 4 years.
<http://www.zillow.com/home-values/>

Home prices in California have gone up 63% in the last 4 years:
<http://www.zillow.com/ca/home-values/>

Home values only went up about 10% in New York in the last 4 years:
<http://www.zillow.com/ny/home-values/>

During the same time period (2012 to 2016), inflation only allegedly
went up 5%.
<http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm>

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl_at_cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronics Design - the beginning of the end, I hope

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic versionBulgarian versionCatalan versionCzech versionDanish versionGerman versionGreek versionEnglish versionSpanish versionFinnish versionFrench versionHindi versionCroatian versionIndonesian versionItalian versionHebrew versionJapanese versionKorean versionLithuanian versionLatvian versionDutch versionNorwegian versionPolish versionPortuguese versionRomanian versionRussian versionSlovak versionSlovenian versionSerbian versionSwedish versionTagalog versionUkrainian versionVietnamese versionChinese version
RTV map EDAboard.com map News map EDAboard.eu map EDAboard.de map EDAboard.co.uk map