EDAboard.com | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | WTWH Media

Refrigerator current load

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Repair Electronics - Refrigerator current load

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

John Robertson
Guest

Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:45 am   



On 2020/02/28 5:20 p.m., Michael Terrell wrote:
Quote:
On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 5:30:25 PM UTC-5, tabb...@gmail.com wrote:
On Friday, 28 February 2020 15:36:50 UTC, Michael Terrell wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 7:26:13 AM UTC-5, tabby wrote:

why would a fridge [need to be] be on its own dedicated outlet? Such a thing is unheard of here.


It is done to prevent another device from tripping the breaker, and letting food spoil. I suppose Botulism is unheard there, as well?

If we get a breaker trip, which doesn't happen often, people switch it back on, and if necessary plug the fridge freezer in somewhere else. It doesn't seem to be a significant issue. If you only had the fridge on the circuit it would take far longer to realize power was lost.


If it trips with only the fridge or freezer on the circuit, resetting the breaker wouldn't do any good, if a few hundred Watt load is tripping a 20A breaker.


Indeed, if the fridge trips the breaker then it is broken...shorted
motor or similar. Not going to work any better on another outlet!
Whereas sometimes you can pop a breaker and not realize it.

One can always get a battery powered fridge alarm - I have it on our
deep freeze, but my wife doesn't want it on the house fridge as she
doesn't like the look of it...

John :-#)#

Allodoxaphobia
Guest

Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:45 pm   



On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 18:39:45 -0800, John Robertson wrote:
Quote:
On 2020/02/28 5:20 p.m., Michael Terrell wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 5:30:25 PM UTC-5, tabb...@gmail.com wrote:
On Friday, 28 February 2020 15:36:50 UTC, Michael Terrell wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 7:26:13 AM UTC-5, tabby wrote:

why would a fridge [need to be] be on its own dedicated outlet? Such a thing is unheard of here.


It is done to prevent another device from tripping the breaker, and letting food spoil. I suppose Botulism is unheard there, as well?

If we get a breaker trip, which doesn't happen often, people switch it back on, and if necessary plug the fridge freezer in somewhere else. It doesn't seem to be a significant issue. If you only had the fridge on the circuit it would take far longer to realize power was lost.


If it trips with only the fridge or freezer on the circuit, resetting the breaker wouldn't do any good, if a few hundred Watt load is tripping a 20A breaker.


Indeed, if the fridge trips the breaker then it is broken...shorted
motor or similar. Not going to work any better on another outlet!
Whereas sometimes you can pop a breaker and not realize it.


And don't overlook the fact that the breaker could be SNAFU.
They're not designed to be switched off and on again -- over and over.

Jonesy

Tom Del Rosso
Guest

Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:45 pm   



John Robertson wrote:
Quote:

One can always get a battery powered fridge alarm - I have it on our
deep freeze, but my wife doesn't want it on the house fridge as she
doesn't like the look of it...


Or you can make Pimpom's blackout alarm (link is still good):

S.E.D. 12/29/17
Pimpom wrote:
Quote:
I made this little gadget for myself several years ago and have
been using it ever since. How quickly can you tell what it is and
how it works? No cheating! :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/99sfbr7fmsyyh60/What_is_it.png?dl=0


Michael Terrell
Guest

Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:45 pm   



On Saturday, February 29, 2020 at 12:03:13 PM UTC-5, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
Quote:

And don't overlook the fact that the breaker could be SNAFU.
They're not designed to be switched off and on again -- over and over.


Who does that to a fridge or freezer? I've only shut off one breaker to kill a fridge that had a damaged thermostat and was it icing over. It was my dad's house, and he was going to stay at my sister's so there was no reason to let the compressor run 24/7/365.25 days a rear. I need to haul it to the landfill for it can be sent for recycling.

John Robertson
Guest

Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:45 pm   



On 2020/02/29 9:05 a.m., Tom Del Rosso wrote:
Quote:
John Robertson wrote:

One can always get a battery powered fridge alarm - I have it on our
deep freeze, but my wife doesn't want it on the house fridge as she
doesn't like the look of it...

Or you can make Pimpom's blackout alarm (link is still good):


How long can the piezo sound when powered by a 1000ufd cap? Perhaps a
small battery would be a good addition...

John :-#)#

Quote:

S.E.D. 12/29/17
Pimpom wrote:
I made this little gadget for myself several years ago and have
been using it ever since. How quickly can you tell what it is and
how it works? No cheating! :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/99sfbr7fmsyyh60/What_is_it.png?dl=0






Guest

Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:45 am   



On Friday, 28 February 2020 23:08:25 UTC, Phil Allison wrote:
Quote:
tabby wrote:

** IME, it is common practice here ( Australia ) to put fridges and freezers on a dedicated circuit since they often have high levels of leakage to earth.

I'm not aware of ours suffering that. Why do they have alot of leakage?



** Not answering hostile questions


lol @ hostile

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Repair Electronics - Refrigerator current load

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic version Bulgarian version Catalan version Czech version Danish version German version Greek version English version Spanish version Finnish version French version Hindi version Croatian version Indonesian version Italian version Hebrew version Japanese version Korean version Lithuanian version Latvian version Dutch version Norwegian version Polish version Portuguese version Romanian version Russian version Slovak version Slovenian version Serbian version Swedish version Tagalog version Ukrainian version Vietnamese version Chinese version Turkish version
EDAboard.com map