EDAboard.com | EDAboard.eu | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | RTV forum PL | NewsGroups PL

New couch + new plastic shoes lead to death of power supply

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronics Design - New couch + new plastic shoes lead to death of power supply

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:25 am   

Hello,

I send this warning to all computer/electronics lovers around the world.

The last few months I have experienced the drastic effects of static charges like you would not believe, unless you actually experienced it yourself too.

It's the combination of events that lead to this experience:

Event 1. Bought new plastic shoes, which apperently isolate me from the earth.

A few months later:

Event 2. Bought new couch made of cloths/fabrics which static charge my body.

The last few months I have experienced painfull shocks everytime I stood up from the couche walked around and touched something.

For example when I would touch the radiator/heating of the room a blue spark of 1 to 2 to 3 centimeters would fly through the air, producing a static discharge sound as well as the blue light and ofcourse a feeling of pain if it as my finger touching it.

Rubber shoes allow the static charge to slowly drip to the earth but this goes slow and can still lead to sparks. For example I touched somebodies new iPhone 7 and it got zapped ! I wonder how long it will survive.

Currently I am wearing these:

https://www.spaansesloffen.nl/

(Spanish slippers)

To maximize contact with "earth" and to maximize the flowing of charge back to earth. From now on I will try to always were these slippers when using/touching a computer.

This reminds me of me visiting a Data Center once... I had to take my shoes off and I asked why... as usual and I think the answer was something about static charge... the guy was probably just doing as he was told... so might not have even understood it himself.

Anyway... meanwhile I read parts of three books from high-school. Two chemistry... (kinda one/different versions/tiers) and one for nature/physics.

Very interesting read about "charge" which is some kind of energy which scientists are still trying to figure out what this actually is.

The large hydron collider is being used to research what happens when proton collide. According to current theory: protons have a positive charge. Electrons has a negative charge.

The protons and electrons are merely a transportation mechanism for "charge".

Any material can have a charge. Charges are weird as for as I am concerned. I think there might be other ways that "Charges" can move across material. Not sure about that though.

Anyway getting rid of these charges from the couche itself is difficult to perhaps even impossible.

I will give you my hypothesis what I think might be going on, since I did read a PDF about it and did measure it with a voltmeter in different ways... Yes I finally bought one because I was quite intrigued.

Take the following hypothesis with a grain of salt:

As I sit down into the couch, I sit into a soup of "sub-atomic-particles" as I call them, perhaps they are even "sub-atomic-strings".

The strings of my cloth/body and the couch intermix/intermangle and they kinda get stuck.

As I stand up, these strings are turn apart and I pull a lot of them with me.

It's either strings or particles. Perhaps negative particles are lighter than positive particles.

Perhaps gravity itself is forcing the positive particles from remaining on the couch, falling back to the couch. While the negative particles stick to my body.

It could also be that I am pulling electrons with me, or both, electrons and sub-atomic-particles.

I am not sure exactly what is going on, but I am pulling something with me that is causing a charge on my body.

Anyway.

I have no choice by to sent the couch back to the shop where I got it from.

I don't believe in humidifieing at all, it already rained didn't notice affects back then... also more moist in air can increase the magnitude of the sparks and make matters worse.

I am pretty sure that even with more water in the air it won't matter much in worst case scenerios: Bad shoes + Bad couch.

I have had it with being carefull with touching anything, testing all my shoes, there are still some I have not tested, I am not going to test them anyway... cause I have other things to do with my life.

I write this mail to all that will listen:

I do suspect the "couch" industry knows the problem all to well, perhaps not into the extreme as I have experienced it but they know it. I actually do believe they know this. Perhaps this particular couch was particullarly bad because of stumps on the fabric making it even worse.

The summer shoes can have an isolating affect in a supermarket as well... troiley/wagen, the discharge, when grabing the metal quite painfull.

I am personally convinced that as long as our electronics massively depend on "electrons" and this mysterious force called "charge" that these kinds of couches should probably be made illegal ! Or at the very least can with a very clear warning of the dangerous !

When I was in the process of buying this couch and also mentioning I am a computer kind of guy no warning was given to me by the sales person !

Also as I started complaining by telephone I was given the responds:

"We have never hard of such problems, you are the first ?!"

Do you believe this yourself ?! LOL

Funny enough in subsequent conversations they completely contradicted themselfes unaware to themselfes:

"We have a guy that has been selling these couches for a long time... he knows this problem well... he advises humidifieing the air... I was supposed to talk to him/he would call back, instead a woman called back, guy was unavailable... strangely enough".

As I bought the couch back then other weird things occured:

First it was on sale... then as I was about to buy it.... "no it was not a showroom model", "computer/administration mistake".

My mum and brother were there too... so we three didn't fall for this trick..

Then on delivery the couch suspension broke and it had to be fixed ?! The couch came with two seats as well... probably have the same problem.

Also wooden feet for chairs and couch.

I tried running a copper cable across the fabric and onto the ground. This did not help. Wiring to ground wires like radiator could be dangerous so not even going to try/do that, couch could be electrified in the case of mishap.

Not sure if I already mentioned this: I touch new iPhone 7 of a "friend" and it received a discharge...

Anyway I have been handling computers long enough that I see the problem as far as I am concerned:

"DOWNFALL of (fabric) COUCH industry because of RISE of Electronics Industry"

Computers/e-mail/social media/mobile phones etc more important than couches..

Especially the mobile phone addicts will probably rather sit on the floor with mobile phone.

Then sit on couch without a phone or a dead phone.

I do wonder how easy it is for a mobile phone to be damaged by a short discharge of about 1500 volts ?! (AC current ?!)

That's what the voltmeter showed when I discharged myself... there is some lag in the voltmeter and perhaps the charge goes by fast and perhaps the voltmeter can't register all of it... but that's why I saw...

I also played with voltmeter while standing up from couch and moving around on couche with different settings... this also shows clear fluctuations on volt/ohm/ampere meter... though at the time I knew less well how to operate voltmeter...

Anyway I feel a conflict coming on like this:

"Couch industry VS Electronics/Computer/Software Industry".

I will side with the latter.

I call upon all those that want to join in the latter to fight this and to make sure that all people are informed and that nobodie's hardware is damaged in this way... it quite sucks.

Hardware manufacturers could face many returned defective products still within warranty and could cost them money. So I believe for that it is still beneficial to fight this "Couch industry" perhaps by proxy, by supporting eventual lawsuits against couch companies.

Medical world might also soon catch on and fight the couch industry ?!

What is all this charge doing to our bodies ?!

All other industries and jobs that rely on computers, like lawyers/atterneys/judges/politicians/medical/CAD/CAM/Designers/Music Artist/Software Programmers/Inventors/Etc.

All of you are in danger that someday your computer might be lost/damaged because of this static discharge from couches from "couch industry".

I think I was lucky:

1. My monitor received a static dicharge and seems to have survived for now..

2. Only my PC's power supply died. Fortunately HD's and memory chips intact..
No loss of information so far.

3. No firework explosions, no gas explosions.

I hope all people reading this will take this seriously, fight the couch industry, perhaps even sneaker/shoe industry and do something about it.

An alternative which might be necessary anyway is switching to "photonics" for computers so they can hopefully scale against "gamma rays/particles" and such... and become more reliable !

I hope photonic based computers will be more reliable ?! So far photons seem easier to control that electrons which seem to go wild/in/out of flux ?!

What are your thoughts on the future of photonic computers ?! Will they be more or less reliable ?!

Bye,
Skybuck Flying with a very serious warning to all using computers/electronics !

P.S.: I will inform the shop that I will send the couch back to them... e-mail will be produced tomorrow or so to inform them ! Wink Will be curious as how this proceeds further ! Wink

prairiesky

Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:27 pm   

On 01/07/2017 01:25 AM, skybuck2000_at_hotmail.com wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

The last few months I have experienced the drastic effects of static charges like you would not believe, unless you actually experienced it yourself too.

The last many years, not few months. You're going to spontaneously
combust, because nobody else has these problems, it's only you.

Quote:

Post a pic of them shoes.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:48 am   

Hmmm the couch is very comfortable though and as long as I wear my slippers the risk is very minor.

Thus now I am thinking of keeping the couch.

I guess it's a matter of "risk management" :)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:49 am   

On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 1:27:42 PM UTC+1, prairiesky wrote:
Quote:
On 01/07/2017 01:25 AM, skybuck2000_at_hotmail.com wrote:
Hello,

The last many years, not few months. You're going to spontaneously
combust, because nobody else has these problems, it's only you.

Google statis charge from couch or shocks, you'll see reports of people with this problem.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:52 am   

Do you SERIOUSLY believe that a couch manufacturer is responsible for you, supposedly an electronics technician, does not know about ESD ?

Johann Klammer

Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:54 pm   

On 01/07/2017 11:49 PM, skybuck2000_at_hotmail.com wrote:
Quote:

Google statis charge from couch or shocks, you'll see reports of people with this problem.

It may be possible that the `protective ground' pin on your electrical installation has failed.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:21 pm   

Today I tested different materials with my mother. I also used a volt meter to measure the voltages.

Together we came to the conclusion that the material of the couch produces way too much voltages: between 1400 to 1800 volts.

While other materials only generate 50 to 80 volts.

So I believe a materal generating +/- 1500 volts is way too much to be used for couch/fornature material.

An e-mail has been sent to couch company to see what they will do.

Either take back couch and return money, or replace material with something else is what I requested.

Before sending the e-mail my mother also phoned them up... they kinda didn't believe her though my mother told the story pretty accurate to them cause I explained it many times to her: "the couch causes human body to be statically charged".

What might be interesting about this situation/case is that very maybe a discovery has been made.

Perhaps this material is kinda "special" in that it generates so much voltages so easily.

Personally that's something that I find hard to believe.

I would assume that people on this planet know exactly what kind of voltages is generated by what kind of material.

But perhaps we have made some interesting discovery.

The couch company told my mother who told me... they could send somebody to have a look... but if it was fooney/bullshit they would charge me/us.

Well are they in for a surprise if they decide to send somebody !

PREPARE TO BE SHOCKED ! LOL.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:23 pm   

On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 5:21:35 PM UTC+1, skybu...@hotmail.com wrote:
Quote:
Today I tested different materials with my mother. I also used a volt meter to measure the voltages.

Together we came to the conclusion that the material of the couch produces way too much voltages: between 1400 to 1800 volts.

While other materials only generate 50 to 80 volts.

I ment to write 5 to 80 volts or so...

For example I just tested my robe that i wear over my pyjamas... as I disconnect it/unmount it I can hard electrical sparks... so that means most of it already discharged... so far only 5 volts... I have seen 80 volts so far...

Other materials almost none to none.... so definetly something fishy going on with this couch material. Never seen anything like it to be honest...

Blue sparks flying through the air as much as 3 centimeters ?!

Quote:

So I believe a materal generating +/- 1500 volts is way too much to be used for couch/fornature material.

An e-mail has been sent to couch company to see what they will do.

Either take back couch and return money, or replace material with something else is what I requested.

Before sending the e-mail my mother also phoned them up... they kinda didn't believe her though my mother told the story pretty accurate to them cause I explained it many times to her: "the couch causes human body to be statically charged".

What might be interesting about this situation/case is that very maybe a discovery has been made.

Perhaps this material is kinda "special" in that it generates so much voltages so easily.

Personally that's something that I find hard to believe.

I would assume that people on this planet know exactly what kind of voltages is generated by what kind of material.

But perhaps we have made some interesting discovery.

The couch company told my mother who told me... they could send somebody to have a look... but if it was fooney/bullshit they would charge me/us.

Well are they in for a surprise if they decide to send somebody !

PREPARE TO BE SHOCKED ! LOL.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:24 pm   

Also if anybody is interested in known which couch it is I can give you a link ?! Razz Smile

Jasen Betts

Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:26 pm   

On 2017-01-09, skybuck2000_at_hotmail.com <skybuck2000_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
Quote:

frabric softner.

--
This email has not been checked by half-arsed antivirus software

Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:30 am   

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 17:50:35 -0800, prairiesky
<outgoing.server_at_mozilla.com> wrote:

Quote:
On 01/07/2017 02:49 PM, skybuck2000_at_hotmail.com wrote:

I remember 50 years ago cars used to have static-discharge straps
hanging from the rear bumpers. Maybe your shoes need those.

His wet tissue paper should work well enough.

prairiesky

Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:30 am   

On 01/07/2017 02:49 PM, skybuck2000_at_hotmail.com wrote:
Quote:

I remember 50 years ago cars used to have static-discharge straps
hanging from the rear bumpers. Maybe your shoes need those.

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronics Design - New couch + new plastic shoes lead to death of power supply

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic versionBulgarian versionCatalan versionCzech versionDanish versionGerman versionGreek versionEnglish versionSpanish versionFinnish versionFrench versionHindi versionCroatian versionIndonesian versionItalian versionHebrew versionJapanese versionKorean versionLithuanian versionLatvian versionDutch versionNorwegian versionPolish versionPortuguese versionRomanian versionRussian versionSlovak versionSlovenian versionSerbian versionSwedish versionTagalog versionUkrainian versionVietnamese versionChinese version
RTV map EDAboard.com map News map EDAboard.eu map EDAboard.de map EDAboard.co.uk map