EDAboard.com | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | WTWH Media

Need help to understand: Efficient Multi-Ported Memories for

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - FPGA - Need help to understand: Efficient Multi-Ported Memories for

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next


Guest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:45 pm   



On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 10:18:19 AM UTC-5, Weng Tianxiang wrote:
Quote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 7:11:39 AM UTC-8, Weng Tianxiang wrote:
Hi,

Here is my perfect answer to my question in VHDL and it has one copy and is capable for doing N writes and N reads at the same time:

signal R0, R1, ..., Rn_1 : std_logic_vector(BITS-1 downto 0);
type NR_NW_TYPE : (0 to N-1) of unsigned(BITS-1 downto 0);
alias NR_NW : NR_NW_TYPE := (R0, R1, ..., Rn_1);

Now one can do N writes to any data and N reads from any data of NR_NW on the same cycle.

A1 <= NR_NW(j); --> A1 <= Rj;

NR_NW(j) <= B1; --> Rj <= B1;

Weng

There are no limits on the number of reading and writing:

If 2 writes are for the same address one must arrange them in a same if-statement.

Weng


I would like to see that code. BTW, what is the point of the alias in your above description? Why bother with the Rj notation at all?

Rick C.

++ Get 6 months of free supercharging
++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209


Guest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:45 pm   



On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 7:58:15 AM UTC-5, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
Quote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 12:46:25 AM UTC-5, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 12:14:04 AM UTC-5, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 7:01:55 PM UTC-5, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 6:15:17 PM UTC-5, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 5:42:37 PM UTC-5, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
Our patent seeking friend fails to understand the very basic issue
of how a multi-write port RAM can operate.

Always there with a pure heart of kindness, one given to teaching,
apt to help compensate when someone is perhaps less than they should
be. Always accommodating, always uplifting, always at the ready to
improve another's life, eh Rick?

I am happy to answer questions and provide advice to those who ask for it. Sometimes the person finds it useful other times not. I am not alone in offering the same sort of help to more than one person in this group.. But it is often declined presumably because the person asking for help doesn't really want help as much as getting others to do their work for them..

Whoosh!

Are we trolling? That is so un-Christian of you!

I don't troll.

That was the sound of my point in the prior post flying right past you.


I can see that you would not understand you are trolling. You understand so little of what is written to you here. You never seem to understand how you interact with people here. You always feel people are lashing out at you. I've only tried to help you and in the end you decide that what anyone if offering to teach you is not what you need to learn and you freak out retreating into your religious shell-home.

I find it interesting that this time you returned, not because you have some technical imperative that you want to discuss, but because you just want to throw dirt at someone. You seem to be regressing.

I believe the term that best describes you is pious. The very nature of your present conversation is un-Christian. By definition you are trolling, trying to get a rise out of me. Can't you see any of that? If you can't see it, perhaps you would be better off not posting here until you have learned those two things? Then once you have learned what God is trying to teach you it will be of benefit for you to return.


Rick C.

+- Get 6 months of free supercharging
+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Kevin Neilson
Guest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:45 pm   



On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 4:38:35 PM UTC-7, Rob Gaddi wrote:
Quote:
On 1/14/19 1:22 PM, HT-Lab wrote:
On 14/01/2019 19:54, Weng Tianxiang wrote:
Hi,

I cannot understand the following paper:
"Efficient Multi-Ported Memories for FPGAs"

http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~steffan/papers/laforest_fpga10.pdf

FPGA has a structure with 1 write port and 2 read port memory block: 2
memory blocks sharing the same write port and each of 2 blocks can be
read individually by 2 different read.

The paper essence for 2 write ports and 2 read ports is:
There are 2 memory blocks each having 1 write port and 2 read ports.

The 2 memory blocks provide 2 write ports to write independently.

There is another memory block, called LVT (Live Value Table), with 2
write ports and 2 read ports, each cell of which stores the port
number which holds the latest write data.

Example:

simultaneously:
Write through port 1 with address 3; --- no problem

Write through port 0 with address 2;

simultaneously:
0 --> LVT(2);
1 --> LVT(3); --- how can it write 2 cells of a memory at the same cycle?

If above 2 simultaneously write operation are feasible, 2 read
operations can read from LVT first to get proper port number, and then
get the correct latest data read from the port number.

Thank you.

Weng


Hi Weng,

It is quite a simple scheme, assume you have 2 write ports each writing
into their own blockram. If port0 write to address 0x12 and port1 writes
to address 0x15 then the LVT (single bit array in this case) will store
array[12]=0 and array[15]=1.
Then if a read port read from address 15 the LVT array will set the mux
to 1 which connect the second blockram to the output.

I use the XOR variant in my processor for a 8w8r block.

Good luck,
Hans
www.ht-lab.com


Although the kicker with this paper is in simultaneous reads. They
gloss pretty hard over the fact that (per the end of 5.3 and 5.4), for N
write ports and M read ports, you need N*M redundant BRAMs. For their
example of a 4-write, 8-read RAM they're using 32-fold the actual RAM
requirements. Can't even take advantage of BRAM packing, since they use
both ports of each RAM to keep one dedicated write port and one
dedicated read. 32x is a hell of a multiplier to be fighting against;
it'll chew up all the RAM in a cheap FPGA before you can bat an eye.

--
Rob Gaddi, Highland Technology -- www.highlandtechnology.com
Email address domain is currently out of order. See above to fix.


I needed a 4-port RAM to do 2 read-modify-writes per cycle. This quadrupled the blockRAM requirement. It was totally worth it for that design. It's not always worth it.

Kevin Neilson
Guest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:45 pm   



On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 12:54:36 PM UTC-7, Weng Tianxiang wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I cannot understand the following paper:
"Efficient Multi-Ported Memories for FPGAs"

http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~steffan/papers/laforest_fpga10.pdf

FPGA has a structure with 1 write port and 2 read port memory block: 2 memory blocks sharing the same write port and each of 2 blocks can be read individually by 2 different read.

The paper essence for 2 write ports and 2 read ports is:
There are 2 memory blocks each having 1 write port and 2 read ports.

The 2 memory blocks provide 2 write ports to write independently.

There is another memory block, called LVT (Live Value Table), with 2 write ports and 2 read ports, each cell of which stores the port number which holds the latest write data.

Example:

simultaneously:
Write through port 1 with address 3; --- no problem

Write through port 0 with address 2;

simultaneously:
0 --> LVT(2);
1 --> LVT(3); --- how can it write 2 cells of a memory at the same cycle?

If above 2 simultaneously write operation are feasible, 2 read operations can read from LVT first to get proper port number, and then get the correct latest data read from the port number.

Thank you.

Weng


There is another thread on this topic: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.arch.fpga/quad-port%7Csort:date/comp.arch.fpga/Xrj3m2V2GyY/t_MX_tf_DwAJ

I have a diagram here which shows how to make a 4-port RAM (2 writes, 2 reads) that keeps the semaphores in blockRAMs: https://imgur.com/a/NhNr0

The diagram might be easier to understand than a long explanation.

Rick C. Hodgin
Guest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:45 pm   



On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 11:29:49 AM UTC-5, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
Quote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 7:58:15 AM UTC-5, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
That was the sound of my point in the prior post flying right past you.

[snip]


My point is ... be nice and respectful of people, even if you think
they are not what they should be in terms of knowledge or ability.

--
Rick C. Hodgin


Guest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:45 pm   



On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 12:04:28 PM UTC-5, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
Quote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 11:29:49 AM UTC-5, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 7:58:15 AM UTC-5, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
That was the sound of my point in the prior post flying right past you.

[snip]

My point is ... be nice and respectful of people, even if you think
they are not what they should be in terms of knowledge or ability.


Yes, you might take your own advice. That is the thing about you Hodgin's. You sincerely believe you are holier than thou. Try looking at the world through other people's glasses and you will see that you yourself are the troll here.

Just consider the purpose of your first post in this thread. Clearly it wasn't for the benefit of anyone else. Tell us what benefit you hoped to gain by it?

If you could just lose the pious attitude you might be able to learn something here.

Rick C.

--- Get 6 months of free supercharging
--- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Rick C. Hodgin
Guest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:45 pm   



On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 12:58:27 PM UTC-5, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
Quote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 12:04:28 PM UTC-5, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 11:29:49 AM UTC-5, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 7:58:15 AM UTC-5, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
That was the sound of my point in the prior post flying right past you.

[snip]

My point is ... be nice and respectful of people, even if you think
they are not what they should be in terms of knowledge or ability.

Yes, you might take your own advice. That is the thing about you Hodgin's. You sincerely believe you are holier than thou.


NO!!! I do not, sir. I put in effort to serve God rightly, and
I am proud of my efforts toward that end, but I am not holier-
than-thou. I am a sinner in need of forgiveness just like every
other person on this Earth.

>Try looking at the world through other people's glasses and you will see that you yourself are the troll here.

I recognize how I am seen. But this message does not go forth
for those who will perish. It goes forth for those who will be
saved.

The light of the world, Jesus Christ, has come into the world to
give us the way out of our sin.

That is what I teach. I teach the way YOU CAN HAVE
*******ETERNAL********LIFE*******!!! It's not for personal gain
for me or my family, or for a church I belong to. I'm teaching
how YOU can have your sin forgiven, and you can be in paradise
with God after you leave this world. Paradise, Rick.

> Just consider the purpose of your first post in this thread. Clearly it wasn't for the benefit of anyone else. Tell us what benefit you hoped to gain by it?

It was to try and grab hold of you by the ears, and rattle your
thinking into shape, so you'd realize your comments toward Weng
Tianxiang were inappropriate, and that you have a biting tongue
always causing pain under the guise of providing help.

> If you could just lose the pious attitude you might be able to learn something here.

If you could remove the blinders from your eyes, you'd see what
Jesus Christ can offer you. You only see through worldly eyes,
Rick, and you will not see anything else.

There is more. And it is that more that is FAR MORE important than
what you see today. Please ... seek the truth in these words, and
don't just conclude that I'm something like holier-than-thou. I am
trying to lead you to the most desirable end for your life, be that
in 1 hour, or 80 years.

Regardless of your assessment summary of me today, someday you will
know the truth, and that truth will own the day. I am not what you
think I am, and I am sincere in desiring to reach out to you and
the others here so they too can be saved.

--
Rick C. Hodgin


Guest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:45 pm   



On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 1:47:54 PM UTC-5, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
Quote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 12:58:27 PM UTC-5, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 12:04:28 PM UTC-5, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 11:29:49 AM UTC-5, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 7:58:15 AM UTC-5, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
That was the sound of my point in the prior post flying right past you.

[snip]

My point is ... be nice and respectful of people, even if you think
they are not what they should be in terms of knowledge or ability.

Yes, you might take your own advice. That is the thing about you Hodgin's. You sincerely believe you are holier than thou.

NO!!! I do not, sir. I put in effort to serve God rightly, and
I am proud of my efforts toward that end, but I am not holier-
than-thou. I am a sinner in need of forgiveness just like every
other person on this Earth.

Try looking at the world through other people's glasses and you will see that you yourself are the troll here.

I recognize how I am seen. But this message does not go forth
for those who will perish. It goes forth for those who will be
saved.

The light of the world, Jesus Christ, has come into the world to
give us the way out of our sin.

That is what I teach. I teach the way YOU CAN HAVE
*******ETERNAL********LIFE*******!!! It's not for personal gain
for me or my family, or for a church I belong to. I'm teaching
how YOU can have your sin forgiven, and you can be in paradise
with God after you leave this world. Paradise, Rick.

Just consider the purpose of your first post in this thread. Clearly it wasn't for the benefit of anyone else. Tell us what benefit you hoped to gain by it?

It was to try and grab hold of you by the ears, and rattle your
thinking into shape, so you'd realize your comments toward Weng
Tianxiang were inappropriate, and that you have a biting tongue
always causing pain under the guise of providing help.

If you could just lose the pious attitude you might be able to learn something here.

If you could remove the blinders from your eyes, you'd see what
Jesus Christ can offer you. You only see through worldly eyes,
Rick, and you will not see anything else.

There is more. And it is that more that is FAR MORE important than
what you see today. Please ... seek the truth in these words, and
don't just conclude that I'm something like holier-than-thou. I am
trying to lead you to the most desirable end for your life, be that
in 1 hour, or 80 years.

Regardless of your assessment summary of me today, someday you will
know the truth, and that truth will own the day. I am not what you
think I am, and I am sincere in desiring to reach out to you and
the others here so they too can be saved.

--
Rick C. Hodgin


This is exactly what I am talking about. The simple fact that you judge me shows you feel you are a "better" person than I am. The fact that you accept that you are a sinner is not the issue. You believe you are better than the other sinners and you know the one true way. It is not about saving anyone. It is about your ego, that you are the person who will save others.. Arrogance!

I sincerely believe you will never understand this or much about electronics. In both cases the only problem is that you shut out the truth, the true word.

Rick C.

--+ Get 6 months of free supercharging
--+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Rick C. Hodgin
Guest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:45 pm   



On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 2:21:34 PM UTC-5, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
Quote:
... The simple fact that you judge me shows you feel you are a
"better" person than I am.


No, sir. We are called to teach people where they are, and what
it means.

https://tinyurl.com/ybrnwljs

--
Rick C. Hodgin


Guest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:45 pm   



On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 2:43:23 PM UTC-5, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
Quote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 2:21:34 PM UTC-5, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
... The simple fact that you judge me shows you feel you are a
"better" person than I am.

No, sir. We are called to teach people where they are, and what
it means.

https://tinyurl.com/ybrnwljs


I didn't say "teach". I said "judge". You are clearly judging people when you refer to "those who will perish" and "those who will be saved".

All your posts here are about putting yourself above others on this planet.... as if we were not someone that God loves and who love God. You know nothing about us. You only know your own feelings and respond this way not out of love for anyone else, but because you find yourself lost and don't understand what anyone is saying to you.

Rick C.

-+- Get 6 months of free supercharging
-+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Rick C. Hodgin
Guest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:45 pm   



On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 2:49:27 PM UTC-5, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
Quote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 2:43:23 PM UTC-5, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
No, sir. We are called to teach people where they are, and what
it means.

https://tinyurl.com/ybrnwljs

I didn't say "teach". I said "judge". You are clearly judging
people when you refer to "those who will perish" and "those who
will be saved".


Those are things taught by God in the Bible. I repeat His words.
All who do not come to Jesus Christ area already dead in their sin.
All who come to Him in humble repentance asking forgiveness are
saved.

You've heard of John 3:16? Have you ever read further?

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+3%3A18&version=KJV

John 3:18 -- He that believeth on [Jesus] is not condemned: but
he that believeth not is condemned already, because
he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten
Son of God.

Christians do not judge. We teach people of the things God has said
already He would judge. We teach these things because you own't hear
them from the world. The world says you're fine. The world wants
you to never give a thought to eternity, to your soul, to judgment.
The world is perishing, and all who cling to the world will perish
likewise. But Jesus came to offer us new life. It is there, when we
come to Him, that our sin is forgiven, and our judgment is taken away:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+5%3A24&version=KJV

24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word,
and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life,
and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from
death unto life.

It says "is passed" (present tense, meaning the born again spirit
nature -- See John 3 for information on the spirit nature):

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+3&version=KJV

> All your posts here are about putting yourself above others on this planet... as if we were not someone that God loves and who love God. You know nothing about us. You only know your own feelings and respond this way not out of love for anyone else, but because you find yourself lost and don't understand what anyone is saying to you.

I place myself below everyone, because as I teach these things I
know there will be backlash, hatred, foul language, false accusa-
tions, all depending on the individual, but all directed at me be-
cause I bear the message.

I am teaching you what God commanded me to teach so that you would
not come into condemnation, but would instead ask forgiveness and
be saved, for it is God's will that none should perish, but that
all should come to repentance:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Peter+3%3A8-10&version=KJV

9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men
count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing
that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

He's patient with us, but there is coming a final day when His
patience ends, and His wrath begins against all the ungodly who
have rejected Him repeatedly throughout their lives.

--
Rick C. Hodgin

Weng Tianxiang
Guest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:45 pm   



Quote:
My point is ... be nice and respectful of people, even if you think
they are not what they should be in terms of knowledge or ability.

--
Rick C. Hodgin


Hi Rick C. Hodgin,

1. I am standing for your opinion: be nice and respectful of people!

2. And I appreciate your 3 excellent references very much.

By your 3 references I think everyone who read this post really learned from you and fully understands the solution to my post.

Thank you.

Weng

Weng Tianxiang
Guest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:45 pm   



Hi,

Kevin Neilson's suggestion leads to a very good paper on the subject:

http://ece.ubc.ca/~ameer/publications/Abdelhadi-Journal-2015Jul-TRETSCode2014-SwitchedMultiportedRAM.pdf

"Modular Switched Multi-ported SRAM-based Memories"

"In this paper, to reduce this area overhead, two methods of constructing SRAM-based LVTs are described. The methodology of constructing SRAM-based LVTs is also generalized. To the authors’ best knowledge this is the first attempt to build an LVT out of SRAM blocks only"

The paper provides a lot of schematic diagrams which make reading much easier and faster for understanding the paper's essence.

Weng


Guest

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:45 am   



On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 3:32:11 PM UTC-5, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
Quote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 2:49:27 PM UTC-5, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 2:43:23 PM UTC-5, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
No, sir. We are called to teach people where they are, and what
it means.

https://tinyurl.com/ybrnwljs

I didn't say "teach". I said "judge". You are clearly judging
people when you refer to "those who will perish" and "those who
will be saved".

Those are things taught by God in the Bible. I repeat His words.
All who do not come to Jesus Christ area already dead in their sin.
All who come to Him in humble repentance asking forgiveness are
saved.

You've heard of John 3:16? Have you ever read further?

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+3%3A18&version=KJV

John 3:18 -- He that believeth on [Jesus] is not condemned: but
he that believeth not is condemned already, because
he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten
Son of God.

Christians do not judge. We teach people of the things God has said
already He would judge. We teach these things because you own't hear
them from the world. The world says you're fine. The world wants
you to never give a thought to eternity, to your soul, to judgment.
The world is perishing, and all who cling to the world will perish
likewise. But Jesus came to offer us new life. It is there, when we
come to Him, that our sin is forgiven, and our judgment is taken away:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+5%3A24&version=KJV

24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word,
and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life,
and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from
death unto life.

It says "is passed" (present tense, meaning the born again spirit
nature -- See John 3 for information on the spirit nature):

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+3&version=KJV

All your posts here are about putting yourself above others on this planet... as if we were not someone that God loves and who love God. You know nothing about us. You only know your own feelings and respond this way not out of love for anyone else, but because you find yourself lost and don't understand what anyone is saying to you.

I place myself below everyone, because as I teach these things I
know there will be backlash, hatred, foul language, false accusa-
tions, all depending on the individual, but all directed at me be-
cause I bear the message.

I am teaching you what God commanded me to teach so that you would
not come into condemnation, but would instead ask forgiveness and
be saved, for it is God's will that none should perish, but that
all should come to repentance:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Peter+3%3A8-10&version=KJV

9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men
count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing
that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

He's patient with us, but there is coming a final day when His
patience ends, and His wrath begins against all the ungodly who
have rejected Him repeatedly throughout their lives.

--
Rick C. Hodgin


Your arrogance is in thinking you have told me anything I don't already know. I've shown you how you have missed the mark on everything you think about me and you are only really concerned with your own ego. So you retreat to spouting scripture. Verily, you keep getting it all wrong.

Rick C.

-++ Get 6 months of free supercharging
-++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Rick C. Hodgin
Guest

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:45 am   



On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 7:21:56 PM UTC-5, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
> Your arrogance is in thinking you have told me anything I don't already know. I've shown you how you have missed the mark on everything you think about me and you are only really concerned with your own ego. So you retreat to spouting scripture. Verily, you keep getting it all wrong.

Christians examine the fruit they see, Rick. Your fruit bears out
a particular way.

--
Rick C. Hodgin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - FPGA - Need help to understand: Efficient Multi-Ported Memories for

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic version Bulgarian version Catalan version Czech version Danish version German version Greek version English version Spanish version Finnish version French version Hindi version Croatian version Indonesian version Italian version Hebrew version Japanese version Korean version Lithuanian version Latvian version Dutch version Norwegian version Polish version Portuguese version Romanian version Russian version Slovak version Slovenian version Serbian version Swedish version Tagalog version Ukrainian version Vietnamese version Chinese version Turkish version
EDAboard.com map