EDAboard.com | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | WTWH Media

mosfet bias question

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronic for beginners - mosfet bias question

default
Guest

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:45 pm   



I plan to use a mosfet in a dawn to dusk switching circuit with a 12V
regulated power supply. In the application notes they give the gate
source absolute maximum voltage as +/- 10V Gate to Source. (page 1)

On page 6 of the same application note they show a "Gate charge test
circuit." with a 12 volt battery between the gate and source with a 50
Kohm variable resistor for the current source circuit.

Aren't they exceeding their own absolute maximum G-SV when the wiper
is turned to the +12 side of the battery?

https://www.vishay.com/docs/91328/91328.pdf

P/N IRLZ44

My Circuit is simple with just a photo transistor gate to source and a
4-10 megohm resistor to the gate and +12V biasing it on when the photo
transistor is dark. The load is a 12V ten watt LED spotlight.

I've incorporated several of these and never had a failure and they've
been working outdoors for >5 years and I just now noticed that I'm
doing something illegal according to the app note.

As I understand mosfets a G-S breakdown, even through a megohm value
resistor, would kill it forever. Is this wrong?

John Larkin
Guest

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:45 pm   



On Sun, 08 Jul 2018 15:22:44 -0400, default <default_at_defaulter.net>
wrote:

Quote:
I plan to use a mosfet in a dawn to dusk switching circuit with a 12V
regulated power supply. In the application notes they give the gate
source absolute maximum voltage as +/- 10V Gate to Source. (page 1)

On page 6 of the same application note they show a "Gate charge test
circuit." with a 12 volt battery between the gate and source with a 50
Kohm variable resistor for the current source circuit.

Aren't they exceeding their own absolute maximum G-SV when the wiper
is turned to the +12 side of the battery?


Only of they turn the pot all the way up, which they wouldn't. That's
just a test circuit.

Quote:

https://www.vishay.com/docs/91328/91328.pdf

P/N IRLZ44

My Circuit is simple with just a photo transistor gate to source and a
4-10 megohm resistor to the gate and +12V biasing it on when the photo
transistor is dark. The load is a 12V ten watt LED spotlight.

I've incorporated several of these and never had a failure and they've
been working outdoors for >5 years and I just now noticed that I'm
doing something illegal according to the app note.

As I understand mosfets a G-S breakdown, even through a megohm value
resistor, would kill it forever. Is this wrong?


Most mosfets die at around 70 volts g-s, except that the
protected-gate ones zener in the low 40's. 12 volts won't hurt your
fet.

But you might fry it from power dissipation. Check your worst-case
dissipation and heat sinking.


--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

default
Guest

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:45 am   



On Mon, 09 Jul 2018 08:24:59 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin_at_highlandtechnology.com> wrote:

Quote:
On Sun, 08 Jul 2018 15:22:44 -0400, default <default_at_defaulter.net
wrote:

I plan to use a mosfet in a dawn to dusk switching circuit with a 12V
regulated power supply. In the application notes they give the gate
source absolute maximum voltage as +/- 10V Gate to Source. (page 1)

On page 6 of the same application note they show a "Gate charge test
circuit." with a 12 volt battery between the gate and source with a 50
Kohm variable resistor for the current source circuit.

Aren't they exceeding their own absolute maximum G-SV when the wiper
is turned to the +12 side of the battery?

Only of they turn the pot all the way up, which they wouldn't. That's
just a test circuit.


https://www.vishay.com/docs/91328/91328.pdf

P/N IRLZ44

My Circuit is simple with just a photo transistor gate to source and a
4-10 megohm resistor to the gate and +12V biasing it on when the photo
transistor is dark. The load is a 12V ten watt LED spotlight.

I've incorporated several of these and never had a failure and they've
been working outdoors for >5 years and I just now noticed that I'm
doing something illegal according to the app note.

As I understand mosfets a G-S breakdown, even through a megohm value
resistor, would kill it forever. Is this wrong?

Most mosfets die at around 70 volts g-s, except that the
protected-gate ones zener in the low 40's. 12 volts won't hurt your
fet.

But you might fry it from power dissipation. Check your worst-case
dissipation and heat sinking.


Worst case is when it is in the linear region. Heating is
insignificant. While daylight is fading or the sun is rising, full on
to full off and visa versa takes about 15-20 seconds. The difference
in light is imperceptible, it surprised me. I figured it would dim
gradually but it is a lot faster than I was expecting.

amdx
Guest

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:45 pm   



On 7/8/2018 2:22 PM, default wrote:
Quote:
I plan to use a mosfet in a dawn to dusk switching circuit with a 12V
regulated power supply. In the application notes they give the gate
source absolute maximum voltage as +/- 10V Gate to Source. (page 1)

On page 6 of the same application note they show a "Gate charge test
circuit." with a 12 volt battery between the gate and source with a 50
Kohm variable resistor for the current source circuit.

Aren't they exceeding their own absolute maximum G-SV when the wiper
is turned to the +12 side of the battery?

https://www.vishay.com/docs/91328/91328.pdf

P/N IRLZ44

My Circuit is simple with just a photo transistor gate to source and a
4-10 megohm resistor to the gate and +12V biasing it on when the photo
transistor is dark. The load is a 12V ten watt LED spotlight.

I've incorporated several of these and never had a failure and they've
been working outdoors for >5 years and I just now noticed that I'm
doing something illegal according to the app note.

As I understand mosfets a G-S breakdown, even through a megohm value
resistor, would kill it forever. Is this wrong?

Years ago, QST had a Class E amplifier (Author Sokal) I think they
used a +/- 18Vpp signal to turn the FETs on and off, even though they
were rated at 10V.

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronic for beginners - mosfet bias question

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic version Bulgarian version Catalan version Czech version Danish version German version Greek version English version Spanish version Finnish version French version Hindi version Croatian version Indonesian version Italian version Hebrew version Japanese version Korean version Lithuanian version Latvian version Dutch version Norwegian version Polish version Portuguese version Romanian version Russian version Slovak version Slovenian version Serbian version Swedish version Tagalog version Ukrainian version Vietnamese version Chinese version Turkish version
EDAboard.com map