EDAboard.com | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | WTWH Media

Montana is damaged

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronics Design - Montana is damaged

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Winfield Hill
Guest

Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:45 pm   



https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/gone-in-a-generation/


--
Thanks,
- Win

John Larkin
Guest

Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:45 pm   



On 29 Jan 2019 08:55:58 -0800, Winfield Hill
<hill_at_rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:

>https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/gone-in-a-generation/

Here's more disruption:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0tm8wyli83nt1v4/human-progress.jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a19stdo3bbm2zyk/World_Grain.jpg?raw=1



--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

John Larkin
Guest

Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:45 pm   



On 29 Jan 2019 09:49:34 -0800, Winfield Hill
<hill_at_rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:

Quote:


Well, the planet has never been static, so you can always find things
to regret. But most trends are good, in fact very good. Billions of
people don't have to watch their kids die. The many predictions of
impending doom that have been popular forever, especially popular
lately, just aren't happening.

Some consequences of civilization are arguably bad: transporting alien
species and pathogens, building dams, paving over dirt, putting out
fires, pumping groundwater, plowing and planting forests. We can
manage that.


--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Winfield Hill
Guest

Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:45 pm   



John Larkin wrote...
Quote:


Those are good disruptions. Not so much for the Montana forests.


--
Thanks,
- Win


Guest

Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:45 am   



On Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 5:35:10 AM UTC+11, John Larkin wrote:
Quote:
On 29 Jan 2019 09:49:34 -0800, Winfield Hill
hill_at_rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:

John Larkin wrote...

Winfield Hill wrote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/gone-in-a-generation/

Here's more disruption:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0tm8wyli83nt1v4/human-progress.jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a19stdo3bbm2zyk/World_Grain.jpg?raw=1

Those are good disruptions. Not so much for the Montana forests.

Well, the planet has never been static, so you can always find things
to regret. But most trends are good, in fact very good. Billions of
people don't have to watch their kids die. The many predictions of
impending doom that have been popular forever, especially popular
lately, just aren't happening.


Haven't happened yet.

Quote:
Some consequences of civilization are arguably bad: transporting alien
species and pathogens, building dams, paving over dirt, putting out
fires, pumping groundwater, plowing and planting forests. We can
manage that.


And create Paradise, CA.

Most "managing" happens after the disaster has not only be set up, but has also occurred.

Prophetic mini-disasters don't seem to count. You have to have lots of people killed before the newspapers will splash it over the front page, and the politicians start paying attention.

And Americans don't pay attention if non-Americans get killed.

Global warming leads to more intense cyclones, and Haiyan/Yolanda in 2013 killed 6,300 but in the Philippines, where it doesn't matter.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Bob Engelhardt
Guest

Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:45 am   



On 1/29/2019 11:55 AM, Winfield Hill wrote:
> https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/gone-in-a-generation

Pay to read

speff
Guest

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:45 pm   



On Tuesday, 29 January 2019 22:36:59 UTC-5, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Quote:
On 1/29/2019 11:55 AM, Winfield Hill wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/gone-in-a-generation

Pay to read


Right-click, open in incognito window (Chrome). Enjoy.

--Spehro Pefhany

Tom Gardner
Guest

Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:45 pm   



On 30/01/19 12:25, speff wrote:
Quote:
On Tuesday, 29 January 2019 22:36:59 UTC-5, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 1/29/2019 11:55 AM, Winfield Hill wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/gone-in-a-generation

Pay to read

Right-click, open in incognito window (Chrome). Enjoy.


That fails in chrome, firefox and opera. Shame.


Guest

Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:45 pm   



Maybe you can find it at a news source. The Washington Post is NOT. they aren't even a good leftist newsletter/rag hard as they may try.

John Larkin
Guest

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:45 pm   



On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 07:37:05 -0800 (PST), jurb6006_at_gmail.com wrote:

>Maybe you can find it at a news source. The Washington Post is NOT. they aren't even a good leftist newsletter/rag hard as they may try.

WP is entirely predictable. They don't allow objectivity to interfere
with their mission.


--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

John Larkin
Guest

Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:45 pm   



On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 04:25:18 -0800 (PST), speff <spehro_at_gmail.com>
wrote:

Quote:
On Tuesday, 29 January 2019 22:36:59 UTC-5, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 1/29/2019 11:55 AM, Winfield Hill wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/gone-in-a-generation

Pay to read

Right-click, open in incognito window (Chrome). Enjoy.

--Spehro Pefhany


Often Firefox "private browsing window" will access paywalled stuff.

For some reason, left-wing stuff is often paywalled but conservative
sites aren't.


--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

John Robertson
Guest

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:45 pm   



On 2019/01/29 8:55 a.m., Winfield Hill wrote:
Quote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/gone-in-a-generation/



https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/14/world/ocean-warming-study-errors-intl/index.html

John

whit3rd
Guest

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:45 pm   



On Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 8:15:44 AM UTC-8, John Larkin wrote:

Quote:
WP is entirely predictable. They don't allow objectivity to interfere
with their mission.


They report bark beetle damage in Montana forest, years after everyone saw
the same thing across the border in Canada. Yep, climate change
does that, when the winter kill of parasites is no longer happening.

The forest damage is entirely predictable, and the Washington Post reported
that it is being observed. There's no issue of objectivity, or interference,
here; JL just pops those words in to confuse things, as is h is missioin.

John Larkin
Guest

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:45 am   



On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 14:28:43 -0800 (PST), whit3rd <whit3rd_at_gmail.com>
wrote:

Quote:
On Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 8:15:44 AM UTC-8, John Larkin wrote:

WP is entirely predictable. They don't allow objectivity to interfere
with their mission.

They report bark beetle damage in Montana forest, years after everyone saw
the same thing across the border in Canada. Yep, climate change
does that, when the winter kill of parasites is no longer happening.


The current heat wave must make those insects very happy.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/polar-vortex-by-the-numbers-6-states-in-us-record-temperatures-lower-than-south-pole/70007296



--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

whit3rd
Guest

Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:45 am   



On Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 3:11:10 PM UTC-8, John Larkin wrote:
Quote:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 14:28:43 -0800 (PST), whit3rd <whit3rd_at_gmail.com
wrote:

They report bark beetle damage in Montana forest, years after everyone saw
the same thing across the border in Canada. Yep, climate change
does that, when the winter kill of parasites is no longer happening.

The current heat wave must make those insects very happy.


Don't be silly; nurseries (unscrupulous ones) will plant you a tree, and
offer a two-year warranty, because they know trees are slow to grow,
and unviable ones are slow to die; it takes three or four years to kill one.

Thus, a string of four or five warm winters will endanger a forest. One
season of cold isn't relevant, you nead cold every few years, repeatedly.

Paying attention to temperatures alone isn't useful; you also need to note times.
Trees are like integrators, they hold history.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronics Design - Montana is damaged

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic version Bulgarian version Catalan version Czech version Danish version German version Greek version English version Spanish version Finnish version French version Hindi version Croatian version Indonesian version Italian version Hebrew version Japanese version Korean version Lithuanian version Latvian version Dutch version Norwegian version Polish version Portuguese version Romanian version Russian version Slovak version Slovenian version Serbian version Swedish version Tagalog version Ukrainian version Vietnamese version Chinese version Turkish version
EDAboard.com map