EDAboard.com | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | WTWH Media

Merry Christmas! OBDII Android/iOS freeware recommendations

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Repair Electronics - Merry Christmas! OBDII Android/iOS freeware recommendations

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

arlen holder
Guest

Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:45 pm   



Merry Christmas!

What would be your OBDII hardware + Android/iOS freeware recommendation?

I do OBDII the old-fashioned way, where, someday, it would be nice, I
think, to have a free app with a universal paid-for transmitter.

Do you know of a good price-to-performance cross-platform-compatible
transmitter that can transmit to both Android & iOS OBD receiver freeware?

I don't know the best cross-platform price-to-performance tradeoffs.

I would guess...
o ELM (or something similar most likely) transmitter (most likely BT?)
o iOS/Android freeware, most likely open source as the receiver & display

What would be your OBDII hardware + Android/iOS freeware recommendation?

Scott Dorsey
Guest

Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:45 pm   



arlen holder <arlen_at_arlen.com> wrote:
Quote:
Merry Christmas!

What would be your OBDII hardware + Android/iOS freeware recommendation?


None. It's pretty much all garbage and the screen on your cellphone is too
small to see more than one plot at a time. If you're looking at multiple
signals and trying to correlate them (say looking at the MAP signal vs.
the O2 sensor voltage) you can't.

Bite the bullet, spend the money, get a proper system with good vendor
support for your car. I could recommend a system that is very good for
Mercedes but it won't necessarily have good support for the Ford commands.
Either get a standalone system or one that will work on a laptop with a
big enough screen that you can see what you're doing.

>I don't know the best cross-platform price-to-performance tradeoffs.

Check the vendors, find someone who has support for your car and look at the
list of available signals. Look at the ones with the longest list.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

nospam
Guest

Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:45 pm   



In article <pvu4li$54t$1_at_panix2.panix.com>, Scott Dorsey
<kludge_at_panix.com> wrote:

Quote:
What would be your OBDII hardware + Android/iOS freeware recommendation?

None. It's pretty much all garbage and the screen on your cellphone is too
small to see more than one plot at a time. If you're looking at multiple
signals and trying to correlate them (say looking at the MAP signal vs.
the O2 sensor voltage) you can't.


although some (most) apps are garbage, not all of them are. some are
quite good. use a tablet if a phone is too small. multiple signals can
be tracked if desired.

sms
Guest

Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:45 pm   



On 12/25/2018 12:27 PM, arlen holder wrote:
Quote:
Merry Christmas!

What would be your OBDII hardware + Android/iOS freeware recommendation?


I would ante up for Torque Pro. I would not use the free application.

For hardware, buy the Carista. It seems to have less issues connecting
to Bluetooth than the $2 el-cheapo ELM327 devices which do work but
sometimes have a problem when reconnecting after the vehicle is turned
off, requiring unpairing then re-pairing.

There's a big advantage to the Carista if you have one of the vehicles
that they support extra functionality on, but that functionality is not
free.

<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YVHGTBM>

The Carista is BLE so it will work with the iPhone (but Torque Pro is
not available on iOS), while the less expensive models are Bluetooth
only, and require SPP which iOS doesn't support.

nospam
Guest

Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:45 pm   



In article <q00dig$dni$1_at_dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven_at_geemail.com> wrote:

Quote:
(but Torque Pro is
not available on iOS),


who cares. there are *many* other obd apps on ios, some of which are
much better than torque.

Quote:
while the less expensive models are Bluetooth
only,


they're all bluetooth.

some are bluetooth classic while others support both bluetooth classic
and bluetooth le (aka bluetooth 4), with a minor, if any, difference in
price.

> and require SPP which iOS doesn't support.

no need, since bluetooth le obsoletes spp and works much better all
around, even on android.

sms
Guest

Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:45 pm   



On 12/26/2018 9:25 AM, sms wrote:
Quote:
On 12/25/2018 12:27 PM, arlen holder wrote:
Merry Christmas!

What would be your OBDII hardware + Android/iOS freeware recommendation?

I would ante up for Torque Pro. I would not use the free application.

For hardware, buy the Carista. It seems to have less issues connecting
to Bluetooth than the $2 el-cheapo ELM327 devices which do work but
sometimes have a problem when reconnecting after the vehicle is turned
off, requiring unpairing then re-pairing.

There's a big advantage to the Carista if you have one of the vehicles
that they support extra functionality on, but that functionality is not
free.


Specifically, you get the dealer-level functionality (which goes beyond
the standard OBD-II functionality) on Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mini, Scion,
Toyota and VW. Carista gives you a month of their app for free and of
course you could sign up for a month if you ever need that functionality
for a short time. The extended functionality includes vehicle
customization that would normally have to be done at a dealer, as well
as some additional non-standard diagnostics.
<https://caristaapp.com/all-vehicles>

nospam
Guest

Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:45 pm   



In article <q00hlr$c2n$1_at_news.mixmin.net>, arlen holder
<arlen_at_arlen.com> wrote:

Quote:

Specifically, you get the dealer-level functionality (which goes beyond
the standard OBD-II functionality) on Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mini, Scion,
Toyota and VW.

Thanks for the Carista recommendation and the warning that iOS doesn't
support some of the standard protocols.


ios supports the more advanced protocols. most (but not all) android
devices also support them. spp is *obsolete*.

arlen holder
Guest

Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:45 pm   



On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 09:45:41 -0800, sms wrote:

Quote:
Specifically, you get the dealer-level functionality (which goes beyond
the standard OBD-II functionality) on Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mini, Scion,
Toyota and VW.


Thanks for the Carista recommendation and the warning that iOS doesn't
support some of the standard protocols.

Mostly I'll be on Android (it's always easier than iOS) but my iPads have
larger screens than my Android phablet does.

I do have a bimmer, but this question is mostly for other cars, as I
already have _all_ the BMW EDIABAS based factory (mostly in German) &
dealer software that my model uses, where I use INPA & Progman mostly
(where Progman requires emulation), but also I have downloads for DIS/GT1 &
EasyDIS (which also requires emulation) in addition to NCSExpert & NCS
Dummies and ToolSet32 & WinKFP & ToolSet32 - where I'm just looking at my
software archive as I've gathered a lot over the years since the links tend
to die quickly. (Most of the time, I just use INPA as I rarely need to
program the dozen or so electrical control units).

This software was originally written for RS232, but it's all USB cabling
nowadays, where my older bimmer is K-Line but most D-CAN cables with the
FTDI chip are backwards compatible.

For the other cars though, I don't have the dealer & factory software, so I
just use the old-style (cabled) OBDII readers with live data, but I am
always wanting to see the data on my phone while I'm driving, particularly
with intermittent issues which set triggers in modules which aren't deleted
with a normal OBDII clear.

William Gothberg
Guest

Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:45 pm   



In article <261220181344014176%nospam_at_nospam.invalid>,
nospam_at_nospam.invalid says...
Quote:

In article <q00hlr$c2n$1_at_news.mixmin.net>, arlen holder
arlen_at_arlen.com> wrote:


Specifically, you get the dealer-level functionality (which goes beyond
the standard OBD-II functionality) on Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mini, Scion,
Toyota and VW.

Thanks for the Carista recommendation and the warning that iOS doesn't
support some of the standard protocols.

ios supports the more advanced protocols. most (but not all) android
devices also support them. spp is *obsolete*.


I have a walmart phone.

nospam
Guest

Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:45 pm   



In article <MPG.368d7a70cf02ade87f1_at_news.eternal-september.org>,
William Gothberg <WG_at_internet.com> wrote:

> I have a walmart phone.

walmart sells phones from other manufacturers. they don't make their
own.

William Gothberg
Guest

Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:45 pm   



On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 18:46:41 -0000, William Gothberg <WG_at_internet.com> wrote:

Quote:
In article <261220181344014176%nospam_at_nospam.invalid>,
nospam_at_nospam.invalid says...

In article <q00hlr$c2n$1_at_news.mixmin.net>, arlen holder
arlen_at_arlen.com> wrote:


Specifically, you get the dealer-level functionality (which goes beyond
the standard OBD-II functionality) on Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mini, Scion,
Toyota and VW.

Thanks for the Carista recommendation and the warning that iOS doesn't
support some of the standard protocols.

ios supports the more advanced protocols. most (but not all) android
devices also support them. spp is *obsolete*.

I have a walmart phone.


Fuck off, you're a fake William Gothberg, did you think I wouldn't notice?

William Gothberg
Guest

Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:45 pm   



On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 18:48:11 -0000, nospam <nospam_at_nospam.invalid> wrote:

Quote:
In article <MPG.368d7a70cf02ade87f1_at_news.eternal-september.org>,
William Gothberg <WG_at_internet.com> wrote:

I have a walmart phone.

walmart sells phones from other manufacturers. they don't make their
own.


Congratulations, you've replied to the Fake William Gothberg.

sms
Guest

Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:45 pm   



On 12/26/2018 10:35 AM, arlen holder wrote:
Quote:
On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 09:45:41 -0800, sms wrote:

Specifically, you get the dealer-level functionality (which goes beyond
the standard OBD-II functionality) on Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mini, Scion,
Toyota and VW.

Thanks for the Carista recommendation and the warning that iOS doesn't
support some of the standard protocols.

Mostly I'll be on Android (it's always easier than iOS) but my iPads have
larger screens than my Android phablet does.

I do have a bimmer, but this question is mostly for other cars, as I
already have _all_ the BMW EDIABAS based factory (mostly in German) &
dealer software that my model uses, where I use INPA & Progman mostly
(where Progman requires emulation), but also I have downloads for DIS/GT1 &
EasyDIS (which also requires emulation) in addition to NCSExpert & NCS
Dummies and ToolSet32 & WinKFP & ToolSet32 - where I'm just looking at my
software archive as I've gathered a lot over the years since the links tend
to die quickly. (Most of the time, I just use INPA as I rarely need to
program the dozen or so electrical control units).

This software was originally written for RS232, but it's all USB cabling
nowadays, where my older bimmer is K-Line but most D-CAN cables with the
FTDI chip are backwards compatible.

For the other cars though, I don't have the dealer & factory software, so I
just use the old-style (cabled) OBDII readers with live data, but I am
always wanting to see the data on my phone while I'm driving, particularly
with intermittent issues which set triggers in modules which aren't deleted
with a normal OBDII clear.


Torque Pro is a really awesome app. An Android phone and a Bluetooth
OBD-II dongle is much superior to the cheap OBD-II readers.

One really nice thing is being to set alarms for things like engine
temperature.

I keep seeing people ask "is there an equivalent to Torque Pro for iOS?"
No there isn't. There are iOS Apps for OBD-II but nothing as good as
Torque Pro.


---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

nospam
Guest

Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:45 pm   



In article <q00oal$b47$1_at_dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven_at_geemail.com> wrote:

Quote:

I keep seeing people ask "is there an equivalent to Torque Pro for iOS?"
No there isn't. There are iOS Apps for OBD-II but nothing as good as
Torque Pro.


nonsense. not only are there equivalents, there are even better options.

Scott Dorsey
Guest

Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:45 am   



sms <scharf.steven_at_geemail.com> wrote:
Quote:
Specifically, you get the dealer-level functionality (which goes beyond
the standard OBD-II functionality) on Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mini, Scion,
Toyota and VW. Carista gives you a month of their app for free and of
course you could sign up for a month if you ever need that functionality
for a short time. The extended functionality includes vehicle
customization that would normally have to be done at a dealer, as well
as some additional non-standard diagnostics.


In the case of Carista, there is a -lot- of stuff that the BMW dealer can
configure with their system that Carista can't touch. And forget trying
to do transmission diagnostics. But for the most part Carista lets you
see the engine parameters that you need to see and a reasonable number of
non-engine things, and it's hard to beat the price. Still, you're stuck
with that tiny little screen and the flake-o hardware interface.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Repair Electronics - Merry Christmas! OBDII Android/iOS freeware recommendations

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic version Bulgarian version Catalan version Czech version Danish version German version Greek version English version Spanish version Finnish version French version Hindi version Croatian version Indonesian version Italian version Hebrew version Japanese version Korean version Lithuanian version Latvian version Dutch version Norwegian version Polish version Portuguese version Romanian version Russian version Slovak version Slovenian version Serbian version Swedish version Tagalog version Ukrainian version Vietnamese version Chinese version Turkish version
EDAboard.com map