EDAboard.com | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | WTWH Media

Merry Christmas! OBDII Android/iOS freeware recommendations

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Repair Electronics - Merry Christmas! OBDII Android/iOS freeware recommendations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

arlen holder
Guest

Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:45 am   



On 26 Dec 2018 20:30:58 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Quote:
there is a -lot- of stuff that the BMW dealer can
configure with their system that Carista can't touch. And forget trying
to do transmission diagnostics.


I use INPA, almost exclusively, for the bimmer, where we have to
distinguish OBD from everything else for this particular question.

The question here was really only about OBD, since I assume everyone who
wants to check things like their VANOS timing or their transmission shift
points or doorlock preferences, will already have the factory/dealer
software for checking and setting these myriad non-OBD things.

You start with the Bentleys & INPA, where BT OBD is merely a convenience.

arlen holder
Guest

Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:45 am   



On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 15:30:14 -0500, nospam wrote:

> nonsense. not only are there equivalents, there are even better options.

Please just name one (link) if that's the case.

sms
Guest

Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:45 pm   



On 12/26/2018 7:03 PM, arlen holder wrote:
Quote:
On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 15:30:14 -0500, nospam wrote:

nonsense. not only are there equivalents, there are even better options.

Please just name one (link) if that's the case.


LOL, you often see inquiries for an iOS app with all the functionality
of Torque Pro. Unfortunately there's no such animal. I don't know why
the author doesn't port it to iOS with the appropriate caveats regarding
which OBD-II dongles will work with the iOS version (you can use Wi-Fi
dongles or BLE dongles, which are six times as expensive, but still not
outrageously priced).

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/engine-link-obd-ii-vehicle/id591557194?mt=8
is rated 2.4 out of 5. They do explain that only certain types of OBD-II
dongles will work.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en_US
is rated 4.5 out of 5. It just has a lot more functionality.

Still puzzled as to why the Bluetooth SPP profile was left out of iOS.
No one has ever had a good answer to that.

nospam
Guest

Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:45 pm   



In article <q03127$qp3$1_at_dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven_at_geemail.com> wrote:

Quote:
nonsense. not only are there equivalents, there are even better options.

Please just name one (link) if that's the case.

LOL, you often see inquiries for an iOS app with all the functionality
of Torque Pro. Unfortunately there's no such animal.


no, you don't 'often see inquiries' and there definitely are such apps
on ios.

Quote:
I don't know why
the author doesn't port it to iOS


because he doesn't have the resources and/or skills to develop and
support two apps on two different platforms. or, he's simply not
interested.

Quote:
with the appropriate caveats regarding
which OBD-II dongles will work with the iOS version (you can use Wi-Fi
dongles or BLE dongles, which are six times as expensive, but still not
outrageously priced).


nonsense.

they're about the same price, maybe a couple of bucks more for a
bluetooth le version, which is also much easier to set up and use than
bluetooth classic.

the wifi adapters are more expensive, however, they are intended for
use with something that doesn't have bluetooth, such as most windows
laptops (all mac laptops have bluetooth le and classic).

Quote:
Still puzzled as to why the Bluetooth SPP profile was left out of iOS.
No one has ever had a good answer to that.


plenty of people have.

the answer is simple: spp is obsolete, having been replaced by the far
more capable bluetooth le.

writing apps to use le is *very* easy. not so with spp.

arlen holder
Guest

Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:45 pm   



On Thu, 27 Dec 2018 12:27:06 -0500, nospam wrote:

Quote:
no, you don't 'often see inquiries' and there definitely are such apps
on ios.


Hi nospam,
Doesn't it strike you as odd that you make claim after claim after claim,
over the years, and _none_ of your claims ever turns out to be true?

Meanwhile, sms and I make claims, which we back up with cites.

It doesn't strike you as odd that you don't act like a normal adult does?

Quote:
because he doesn't have the resources and/or skills to develop and
support two apps on two different platforms. or, he's simply not
interested.


Or it can't be done on iOS the way he wants it done (e.g., Bluetooth SPP),
or he doesn't want to put up with Apple's bullshit, or ... whatever
conjecture you want to devise.

What's odd about you nospam is that you can never speak on facts.

The fact is that the functionality sms speaks of doesn't exist on iOS, and
all your denials of that obvious fact don't change that obvious fact.

Quote:
they're about the same price, maybe a couple of bucks more for a
bluetooth le version, which is also much easier to set up and use than
bluetooth classic.


The last time you made similar idiotic fact-free claims was when you
claimed there was functionality for a buck that turned out to be yet
another baseless claim by you nospam, to add to the heap of baseless
claims.
o Name a single iOS app functionality that you can get for a buck, that isn't already on Android, for free
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/aUyeuaPI9pc/KHQx-ecNBAAJ>

Your credibility, nospam, is worse than that of the monkey.

Quote:
the answer is simple: spp is obsolete, having been replaced by the far
more capable bluetooth le.


You Apple Apologists, nospam, always makes myriad excuses for the limited
functionality of iOS versus Android.

It's why we summarized the Apple/Android delta, accurately, as:
o Hardware (about the same, Apple slightly less functional in general)
o Apps (about the same for Mom & Pop - not even close for power users)
o Storage (a completely different paradigm - no way to compare logically)
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/ahrT3Qpy_aE/cjFcFbxZDAAJ>

nospam
Guest

Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:45 pm   



In article <q037nr$6ru$1_at_news.mixmin.net>, arlen holder
<arlen_at_arlen.com> wrote:

Quote:
because he doesn't have the resources and/or skills to develop and
support two apps on two different platforms. or, he's simply not
interested.

Or it can't be done on iOS the way he wants it done (e.g., Bluetooth SPP),
or he doesn't want to put up with Apple's bullshit, or ... whatever
conjecture you want to devise.


bluetooth le is not 'apple's bullshit'.

bluetooth le, aka bluetooth 4, replaces bluetooth classic (v3 and
earlier) for almost everything. spp is *obsolete*.

it's *easier* to write apps using btle (i've done it; you have not, nor
has sms) and it does a *lot* more than spp could ever possibly do.

nospam
Guest

Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:45 am   



In article <q03s8p$ebv$1_at_news.mixmin.net>, arlen holder
<arlen_at_holder.com> wrote:

Quote:
The fact is that the OBD functionality sms speaks of, is, based on what is
said in this thread by reliable people (i.e., not you, nospam), does not
exist on iOS.


that's not a fact at all. it's pure rubbish.

the obd functionality is entirely within the obd device that plugs into
the vehicle's obd port.

that device reads assorted info from the vehicle and sends it via
bluetooth to an ios or android device. there are also models that use
wifi or usb, usually to be used with a laptop, as most windows laptops
do not have bluetooth built in (macs do).

there is *no* limitation on what can be done with that data, other than
the skill of the app developer writing the app and how much effort they
wish to expend in doing so.

i've written *several* apps that use obd and bluetooth. you have not,
nor has sms.

arlen holder
Guest

Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:45 am   



On Thu, 27 Dec 2018 16:47:14 -0500, nospam wrote:

Quote:
it's *easier* to write apps using btle (i've done it; you have not, nor
has sms) and it does a *lot* more than spp could ever possibly do.


*The only people who believe _anything_ you say, nospam, are Apologists.*

FACTS

The fact is that the OBD functionality sms speaks of, is, based on what is
said in this thread by reliable people (i.e., not you, nospam), does not
exist on iOS.

This apparent lack of OBD functionality seems that it might be very similar
to the known lack of TOR functionality on iOS, where, in the case of TOR,
there are no sanctioned apps by the Guardian Project, but only "suggested"
third-best alternatives (where the Guardian Project explains that iOS simply
utterly lacks in the necessary API functionality).
<https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en>
<https://guardianproject.info/apps/orweb/>

Those two cases may be different from the myriad other cases of utter lack
of functionality on iOS (e.g., there is no ability to graph wifi signal
strength over time, no torrenting, no automatic call recording, no app
launchers, no second source for apps, etc.).

Why does iOS _always_ prove to lack basic app functionality?
I don't know why.
It just always does.

I'm not saying I know all the reasons that iOS lacks app functionality.

I am just saying that there are so very many cases where iOS lacks app
functionality that Android has had for years, that your assertions always
ring hollow that apps on iOS can even *approach* that which they do on
Android.

In this situation, sms is more trustworthy - as you are not.
(Your record on trust is worse than that of a liar & politician & salesman.)

Why you _always_ lie, nospam, is beyond me - since you gain nothing.
It's a habit you need to kick - since you have zero credibility.

*The only people who believe _anything_ you say, nospam, are Apologists.*

rbowman
Guest

Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:45 am   



On 12/27/2018 10:10 AM, sms wrote:
Quote:
LOL, you often see inquiries for an iOS app with all the functionality
of Torque Pro. Unfortunately there's no such animal. I don't know why
the author doesn't port it to iOS with the appropriate caveats regarding
which OBD-II dongles will work with the iOS version (you can use Wi-Fi
dongles or BLE dongles, which are six times as expensive, but still not
outrageously priced).


Mostly because iOS is a pain in the ass. We develop apps for Android and
may do iOS someday using Xamarin, but it isn't a high priority.

nospam
Guest

Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:45 am   



In article <g8lmd8F8o87U1_at_mid.individual.net>, rbowman
<bowman_at_montana.com> wrote:

Quote:

Mostly because iOS is a pain in the ass. We develop apps for Android and
may do iOS someday using Xamarin, but it isn't a high priority.


if you don't develop for ios, you're not in a position to comment about
ios being a 'pain in the ass', and if you're using xamarin for app
development, you're even less in a position to comment.

i've done native app development for both ios and android, and ios is
*much* easier.

sms
Guest

Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:45 pm   



On 12/27/2018 8:18 PM, rbowman wrote:
Quote:
On 12/27/2018 10:10 AM, sms wrote:
LOL, you often see inquiries for an iOS app with all the functionality
of Torque Pro. Unfortunately there's no such animal. I don't know why
the author doesn't port it to iOS with the appropriate caveats regarding
which OBD-II dongles will work with the iOS version (you can use Wi-Fi
dongles or BLE dongles, which are six times as expensive, but still not
outrageously priced).

Mostly because iOS is a pain in the ass. We develop apps for Android and
may do iOS someday using Xamarin, but it isn't a high priority.


Understood, but for a paid app, that is extremely popular, with
>1,000,00 installs and >55,000 reviews, you'd think that the pain might
be worth it for the author. Especially because you often see people
asking "is there an equivalent app to Torque Pro for the iPhone?" Even
prior to BLE, there were Wi-Fi OBD-II dongles being used with OBD-II iOS
apps (which were a pain because you could only have one Wi-Fi connection
at a time from a phone, but still usable for diagnostics, just not
continuous monitoring). Developing for BLE is more difficult than using
Bluetooth SPP, but not magnitudes more difficult.

nospam
Guest

Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:45 pm   



In article <g8mtapFgptgU1_at_mid.individual.net>, rbowman
<bowman_at_montana.com> wrote:

Quote:
Maybe, if a million iPhone users were asking for it... Buying the Apple
hardware to develop on, learning the new toolchain, and dealing with the
Apple store puts a little bump in the road.


not at all. write a decent app and you'll recover any costs many times
over. there's nothing to deal with the app store either. when the app
is done, submit it.

Quote:
For Android you download
Android Studio to your Windows box, pick up a cheap Android device, and
you're good to go.


same for ios.

xcode is free and pick up a cheap iphone for testing. done. and if
you're *that* cheap (and not interested in quality of work), use the
simulator and let your beta testers test on actual hardware.

Quote:
I just bought a 7" B&N Nook for $50. It's no
powerhouse but it's acceptable. Apple might be trimming prices a bit but
they're not there yet.


a b&n nook is in no way comparable to an iphone or ipad.

nospam
Guest

Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:45 pm   



In article <g8msjgFgl59U1_at_mid.individual.net>, rbowman
<bowman_at_montana.com> wrote:

Quote:
Mostly because iOS is a pain in the ass. We develop apps for Android and
may do iOS someday using Xamarin, but it isn't a high priority.

if you don't develop for ios, you're not in a position to comment about
ios being a 'pain in the ass', and if you're using xamarin for app
development, you're even less in a position to comment.

i've done native app development for both ios and android, and ios is
*much* easier.

Yeah, you've made it abundantly clear that you're an Apple fanboi.


ad hominem.

two can play that game: you've made it abundantly clear that you're an
apple hater fueled by myths.

Quote:
Personally, I've had one Apple product in my life -- a Shuffle someone
gave me. It isn't bad but itunes sucks.


then you're even less in a position to comment.

Quote:
I'm a hired gun so I would have worked on Apple stuff if anyone ever
wanted to pay me to do so, but they never did.


you're asking the wrong people. there's a *huge* demand for apple
development and it pays *quite* well.

rbowman
Guest

Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:45 pm   



On 12/28/2018 05:53 AM, sms wrote:
Quote:
On 12/27/2018 8:18 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/27/2018 10:10 AM, sms wrote:
LOL, you often see inquiries for an iOS app with all the functionality
of Torque Pro. Unfortunately there's no such animal. I don't know why
the author doesn't port it to iOS with the appropriate caveats regarding
which OBD-II dongles will work with the iOS version (you can use Wi-Fi
dongles or BLE dongles, which are six times as expensive, but still not
outrageously priced).

Mostly because iOS is a pain in the ass. We develop apps for Android
and may do iOS someday using Xamarin, but it isn't a high priority.

Understood, but for a paid app, that is extremely popular, with
1,000,00 installs and >55,000 reviews, you'd think that the pain might
be worth it for the author. Especially because you often see people
asking "is there an equivalent app to Torque Pro for the iPhone?"


Maybe, if a million iPhone users were asking for it... Buying the Apple
hardware to develop on, learning the new toolchain, and dealing with the
Apple store puts a little bump in the road. For Android you download
Android Studio to your Windows box, pick up a cheap Android device, and
you're good to go. I just bought a 7" B&N Nook for $50. It's no
powerhouse but it's acceptable. Apple might be trimming prices a bit but
they're not there yet.

rbowman
Guest

Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:45 pm   



On 12/27/2018 09:27 PM, nospam wrote:
Quote:
In article <g8lmd8F8o87U1_at_mid.individual.net>, rbowman
bowman_at_montana.com> wrote:


Mostly because iOS is a pain in the ass. We develop apps for Android and
may do iOS someday using Xamarin, but it isn't a high priority.

if you don't develop for ios, you're not in a position to comment about
ios being a 'pain in the ass', and if you're using xamarin for app
development, you're even less in a position to comment.

i've done native app development for both ios and android, and ios is
*much* easier.


Yeah, you've made it abundantly clear that you're an Apple fanboi.
Personally, I've had one Apple product in my life -- a Shuffle someone
gave me. It isn't bad but itunes sucks.

I'm a hired gun so I would have worked on Apple stuff if anyone ever
wanted to pay me to do so, but they never did.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Repair Electronics - Merry Christmas! OBDII Android/iOS freeware recommendations

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic version Bulgarian version Catalan version Czech version Danish version German version Greek version English version Spanish version Finnish version French version Hindi version Croatian version Indonesian version Italian version Hebrew version Japanese version Korean version Lithuanian version Latvian version Dutch version Norwegian version Polish version Portuguese version Romanian version Russian version Slovak version Slovenian version Serbian version Swedish version Tagalog version Ukrainian version Vietnamese version Chinese version Turkish version
EDAboard.com map