EDAboard.com | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | WTWH Media

Geckos and Electronics

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronics AUS - Geckos and Electronics

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Den
Guest

Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:24 am   



"swanny" <blahgswan3blah_at_blahbigpondblah.comblah.blahau> wrote in message
news:lKqzk.36536$IK1.14343_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au...
Quote:
Dave Goldfinch wrote:
In our bedroom we have a split system Daiken inverter type air
conditioner.

On two occaisions now, we have had geckos get into the outside unit
and land up in the electronics, causing rhe controller board to fail.
These boards are complex and far beyond my ability to repair, so
replacement by Diaken is the only option - needless to say a very
expensive one !

Does anyone have any ideas how to keep the little buggers out ?
Physically barring them is difficult, as you can't restrict the air
circulation around and through the unit and they are able to get
through a very small gap. I would like to know if it would be possible
to put a chemical barrier around the unit- like a surface spray
insecticide. The guy who installed the unit suggested that moth-balls
might work but I have the feeling that their efffect might be very
short lived.

Any suggestions ?

Dave G



An Eastern Brown snake should do the trick.


.........or a rubber owl on a stick?

Andy Wood
Guest

Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:08 pm   



Dave Goldfinch <daveg50_8_at_NotCoolMail.invalid> wrote:

Quote:
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 06:46:07 GMT, Dave Goldfinch
.. . .


Quote:
I agree that physically barring the beasts would be best but it would
also be quite difficult - I am talking about very small geckos here -
chicken wire would be useless, it would have to be something
approaching fly-wire. I am worried about the effect this would have on
air-flow.

In order of fineness of mesh, you get chicken wire, mouse wire, snake
wire, and fly screen.


Andy Wood
woodag_at_trap.ozemail.com.au

Don McKenzie
Guest

Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:44 pm   



Den wrote:
Quote:
"swanny" <blahgswan3blah_at_blahbigpondblah.comblah.blahau> wrote in message

An Eastern Brown snake should do the trick.
........or a rubber owl on a stick?

would you believe a can toad hologram?



--
Don McKenzie

Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.dontronics.com/email

USB to 4 Relays. Many other modules available.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/super4-usb-relay-module.html

Je▀us
Guest

Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:39 am   



Mr.T wrote:
Quote:
"atec77" <atec77REMOVE_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:gaih6i$qe$1_at_aioe.org...
I have seen wonderful footage of cockroaches actually swarming around
those
ultrasonic insect repellers though Smile
I have not
I built my own with good success , many however don't have the skills .

Doesn't take much skill at all! The concept is hardly rocket science!
(And none at all if you buy the commercial versions)
What it takes is proof that they actually work. Looking forward to seeing
yours.

Then you'll be disappointed.

Mr.T
Guest

Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:36 am   



"Je▀us" <nonewhatsoever_at_all.org> wrote in message
news:gana2b$4ti$1_at_news.tornevall.net...
Quote:
What it takes is proof that they actually work. Looking forward to
seeing
yours.

Then you'll be disappointed.

Yeah, fortunately I wasn't serious.

MrT.

AJ
Guest

Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:07 pm   



Andy has the best idea with the conformal coating, can't go wrong...




"Dave Goldfinch" <daveg50_8_at_NotCoolMail.invalid> wrote in message
news:qsbpc4t63j0lo2gq5521tqfbr4c2893f89_at_4ax.com...
Quote:

In our bedroom we have a split system Daiken inverter type air
conditioner.

On two occaisions now, we have had geckos get into the outside unit
and land up in the electronics, causing rhe controller board to fail.
These boards are complex and far beyond my ability to repair, so
replacement by Diaken is the only option - needless to say a very
expensive one !

Does anyone have any ideas how to keep the little buggers out ?
Physically barring them is difficult, as you can't restrict the air
circulation around and through the unit and they are able to get
through a very small gap. I would like to know if it would be possible
to put a chemical barrier around the unit- like a surface spray
insecticide. The guy who installed the unit suggested that moth-balls
might work but I have the feeling that their efffect might be very
short lived.

Any suggestions ?

Dave G



Je▀us
Guest

Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:51 pm   



Mr.T wrote:
Quote:
"Je▀us" <nonewhatsoever_at_all.org> wrote in message
news:gana2b$4ti$1_at_news.tornevall.net...
What it takes is proof that they actually work. Looking forward to
seeing
yours.
Then you'll be disappointed.

Yeah, fortunately I wasn't serious.

Good :)

Quote:
MrT.

Do you pity da fool (atec)?

Mr.T
Guest

Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:10 am   



"Je▀us" <nonewhatsoever_at_all.org> wrote in message
news:gbh8d6$a7n$2_at_news.tornevall.net...
Quote:
Do you pity da fool (atec)?

Nah, gives him something to do I guess :-)

MrT.


Guest

Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:43 pm   



On Sunday, September 14, 2008 at 3:09:47 PM UTC+8, Andy wrote:
Quote:
Dave Goldfinch wrote:
In our bedroom we have a split system Daiken inverter type air
conditioner.

On two occaisions now, we have had geckos get into the outside unit
and land up in the electronics, causing rhe controller board to fail.
These boards are complex and far beyond my ability to repair, so
replacement by Diaken is the only option - needless to say a very
expensive one !

Does anyone have any ideas how to keep the little buggers out ?
Physically barring them is difficult, as you can't restrict the air
circulation around and through the unit and they are able to get
through a very small gap. I would like to know if it would be possible
to put a chemical barrier around the unit- like a surface spray
insecticide. The guy who installed the unit suggested that moth-balls
might work but I have the feeling that their efffect might be very
short lived.

Any suggestions ?

Dave G

How about applying some sort of conformal coating to the board to give
it some insulation and protection?

Andy


That what Panasonic is doing with its circuit boards, covering them with a silicone resin. Not sure if it works but at least they are trying.


Guest

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:45 am   



What about telfon spray around the unit.

John_H
Guest

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:45 am   



jmjharris5_at_gmail.com wrote:

>What about telfon spray around the unit.

Get yourself a Siamese cat, they love 'em. :)

--
John H

FMurtz
Guest

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:45 am   



jmjharris5_at_gmail.com wrote:
Quote:
What about telfon spray around the unit.

Is it designed for your telfon?


Goto page Previous  1, 2

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronics AUS - Geckos and Electronics

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic version Bulgarian version Catalan version Czech version Danish version German version Greek version English version Spanish version Finnish version French version Hindi version Croatian version Indonesian version Italian version Hebrew version Japanese version Korean version Lithuanian version Latvian version Dutch version Norwegian version Polish version Portuguese version Romanian version Russian version Slovak version Slovenian version Serbian version Swedish version Tagalog version Ukrainian version Vietnamese version Chinese version Turkish version
EDAboard.com map