EDAboard.com | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | WTWH Media

GBps to MB/s

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronics Design - GBps to MB/s

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

amdx
Guest

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:45 pm   



To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm
registration to a forum.

"If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of 10Gbps in
MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):"

I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is an
invalid answer", So I googled and found:
" 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second"
But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer".
Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s

Any ideas?
Mikek

Clive Arthur
Guest

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:45 pm   



On 24/01/2019 17:42, amdx wrote:
Quote:
To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm
registration to a forum.

"If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of 10Gbps in
MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):"

 I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is an
invalid answer", So I googled and found:
" 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second"
But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer".
 Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s

Any ideas?
                      Mikek


10000MB/s ?

Cheers
--
Clive

amdx
Guest

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:45 pm   



On 1/24/2019 11:47 AM, TTman wrote:
Quote:
On 24/01/2019 17:42, amdx wrote:
To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm
registration to a forum.

"If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of 10Gbps
in MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):"

  I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is
an invalid answer", So I googled and found:
" 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second"
But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer".
  Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s

Any ideas?
                       Mikek
I say bits = 10 therefore 10gbps = 100MBps

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

OH, I missed the B vs b.
Tried to many timew, now I need to wait.
Thanks, Mike

TTman
Guest

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:45 pm   



On 24/01/2019 17:42, amdx wrote:
Quote:
To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm
registration to a forum.

"If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of 10Gbps in
MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):"

 I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is an
invalid answer", So I googled and found:
" 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second"
But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer".
 Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s

Any ideas?
                      Mikek
I say bits = 10 therefore 10gbps = 100MBps


---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


Guest

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:45 pm   



On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 11:42:55 -0600, amdx <nojunk_at_knology.net> wrote:

Quote:
To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm
registration to a forum.

"If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of 10Gbps in
MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):"

I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is an
invalid answer", So I googled and found:
" 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second"
But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer".
Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s


Just divide the bit rate by 10 to get the net bytes/s will give quite
correct results. Place remember the preamble, Ethernet headers and
possible IP headers and possible TCP header, especially if 1500 byte
standard Ethernet frames are used. With 9000 byte Jumbo frames, you
might get slightly better than that. For practical purposes 10 Gbit/s
is about 1 GByte/s.

Quote:

Any ideas?
Mikek


amdx
Guest

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:45 pm   



On 1/24/2019 1:14 PM, upsidedown_at_downunder.com wrote:
Quote:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 11:42:55 -0600, amdx <nojunk_at_knology.net> wrote:

To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm
registration to a forum.

"If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of 10Gbps in
MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):"

I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is an
invalid answer", So I googled and found:
" 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second"
But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer".
Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s

Just divide the bit rate by 10 to get the net bytes/s will give quite
correct results. Place remember the preamble, Ethernet headers and
possible IP headers and possible TCP header, especially if 1500 byte
standard Ethernet frames are used. With 9000 byte Jumbo frames, you
might get slightly better than that. For practical purposes 10 Gbit/s
is about 1 GByte/s.


Any ideas?
Mikek





10Gbit/s = 1GByte/s = 1000MByte/s
Do you agree that 1GByte/s equals 1000MByte/s ?

Google is showing me 10Mbps = 1250MB/s multiple times, but that
didn't work as an answer.

Mikek

amdx
Guest

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:45 pm   



On 1/24/2019 1:30 PM, amdx wrote:
Quote:
On 1/24/2019 1:14 PM, upsidedown_at_downunder.com wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 11:42:55 -0600, amdx <nojunk_at_knology.net> wrote:

To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm
registration to a forum.

"If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of 10Gbps in
MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):"

  I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is an
invalid answer", So I googled and found:
" 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second"
But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer".
  Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s

Just divide the bit rate by 10 to get the net bytes/s will give quite
correct results. Place remember the preamble, Ethernet headers and
possible IP headers and possible TCP header, especially if 1500 byte
standard Ethernet frames are used. With 9000 byte Jumbo frames, you
might get slightly better than that. For practical purposes 10 Gbit/s
is about 1 GByte/s.


Any ideas?
                       Mikek





 10Gbit/s = 1GByte/s = 1000MByte/s
Do you agree that 1GByte/s equals 1000MByte/s ?

 Google is showing me 10Mbps = 1250MB/s multiple times, but that
didn't work as an answer.

                 Mikek


I got this from another group. It's worth a shot, when my time out ends.

"If you're looking on an oscilloscope at the wire, the 10Gbit/sec does
amount to 1250MB/sec in a sense. What's missing is an accounting of
coding loss. More bits are used to encode the data, than you get to use.
On USB3, a 10 bit long sequence of ones and zeros, represents 8 bits
of user data. That's a 25% overhead for transmission on the
physical media.

*******

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0

USB3.1 Gen1 5Gbit/sec, 8b/10b encoded, 500MB/sec channel rate usable
USB3.1 Gen2 10Gbit/sec, 128b/132b
10000 * 128/132 * 1 byte/8 bits = 1212.12MB/sec
channel rate usable"

amdx
Guest

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:45 pm   



On 1/24/2019 1:02 PM, bitrex wrote:
Quote:
On 01/24/2019 12:42 PM, amdx wrote:
To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm
registration to a forum.

"If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of 10Gbps
in MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):"

  I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is
an invalid answer", So I googled and found:
" 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second"
But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer".
  Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s

Any ideas?
                       Mikek

Lol fuck that forum


OK, maybe you can answer my question then.
I have Mediasonic HW150 digital Video recorder.
I recently purchased a WD 1T hard drive, when installed
and I try to record, it says no disk found. Although it
does recognize a USB cable was inserted.
The drive is in NTFS file format, do I need to change that to FAT32?
Mikek

bitrex
Guest

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:45 pm   



On 01/24/2019 02:14 PM, amdx wrote:
Quote:
On 1/24/2019 1:02 PM, bitrex wrote:
On 01/24/2019 12:42 PM, amdx wrote:
To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm
registration to a forum.

"If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of 10Gbps
in MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):"

  I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is
an invalid answer", So I googled and found:
" 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second"
But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer".
  Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s

Any ideas?
                       Mikek

Lol fuck that forum

OK, maybe you can answer my question then.
 I have Mediasonic HW150 digital Video recorder.
 I recently purchased a WD 1T hard drive, when installed
and I try to record, it says no disk found. Although it
does recognize a USB cable was inserted.
 The drive is in NTFS file format, do I need to change that to FAT32?
                          Mikek


First thing to do is check the firmware revision and update the box to
the latest firmware if you don't have that.

Do you have any small Flash USB sticks lying around? Format one each way
just to see if it recognizes _anything_. If it can't even do that then
the problem is elsewhere.

It looks like it's supposed to support both FAT32 and NTFS, and it
hopefully does support NTFS HDDs because if it don't and you have to use
FAT32 HDDs you'll be limited to a 4 gigabyte file size, which means you
won't be recording at 1080p for more than a couple hours unless it
splits files.

The fact the amazon ad says that there's a hard limit of 2TB on external
drive size makes me think that if it does support NTFS as it's supposed
to that's due to wrong cluster size, maybe? Try formatting the drive at
the minimum NTFS cluster size of 512 bytes instead of what I believe the
Windows default is of 4k

bitrex
Guest

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:45 pm   



On 01/24/2019 12:42 PM, amdx wrote:
Quote:
To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm
registration to a forum.

"If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of 10Gbps in
MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):"

 I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is an
invalid answer", So I googled and found:
" 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second"
But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer".
 Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s

Any ideas?
                      Mikek


Lol fuck that forum

bitrex
Guest

Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:45 pm   



On 01/24/2019 03:15 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Quote:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 14:54:12 -0500, bitrex <user_at_example.net> wrote:

BTW I just played around with the formatting utility in Windows and it
appears to select "GPT"-type partition table for NTFS by default, note
that the manual says the box does _not_ support GPT and the partition
table must be MBR-style, so you have to select that instead when formatting.

If the camera really does have a 2GB limit, it's probably FAT32 with
an MBR.

Try a FAT32 specific format program:
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm



It looks to be a $40 DVR but yeesh, FAT32 only in 2019? I'd spend a
little more if that's the case what's it going to do when recording
1080p? You'll hit 4 gig file size limit real quick.

I've been reading the French manual the only problem with that is I
don't know French. And it's in French. cuz it's a French manual.

Oh it's got parental controls, great, wouldn't want the kids to see all
that porn PBS broadcasts OTA around here...

Jeff Liebermann
Guest

Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:45 pm   



On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 14:54:12 -0500, bitrex <user_at_example.net> wrote:

Quote:
BTW I just played around with the formatting utility in Windows and it
appears to select "GPT"-type partition table for NTFS by default, note
that the manual says the box does _not_ support GPT and the partition
table must be MBR-style, so you have to select that instead when formatting.


If the camera really does have a 2GB limit, it's probably FAT32 with
an MBR.

Try a FAT32 specific format program:
<http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm>
<http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm>


--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl_at_cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

bitrex
Guest

Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:45 pm   



On 01/24/2019 02:51 PM, Winfield Hill wrote:
Quote:
bitrex wrote...

On 01/24/2019 02:14 PM, amdx wrote:
On 1/24/2019 1:02 PM, bitrex wrote:

Lol fuck that forum

OK, maybe you can answer my question then.
I have Mediasonic HW150 digital Video recorder.
I recently purchased a WD 1T hard drive, when installed
and I try to record, it says no disk found. Although it
does recognize a USB cable was inserted.
The drive is in NTFS file format, do I need to change
that to FAT32?
Mikek

First thing to do is check the firmware revision and update
the box to the latest firmware if you don't have that.
[ snip ]

Hey, amdx, I think you just got your own private forum!



Lol I couldn't find any updated firmware for it anyway and the copy of
the manual I found is in French.

I think the problem may be related to wrong partition table type it
needs to be MBR, not GPT, the latter which appears to be the default
partition table type when formatting an NTFS drive under recent Windows
variants.

bitrex
Guest

Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:45 pm   



On 01/24/2019 02:42 PM, bitrex wrote:
Quote:
On 01/24/2019 02:14 PM, amdx wrote:
On 1/24/2019 1:02 PM, bitrex wrote:
On 01/24/2019 12:42 PM, amdx wrote:
To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm
registration to a forum.

"If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of
10Gbps in MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):"

  I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is
an invalid answer", So I googled and found:
" 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second"
But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer".
  Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s

Any ideas?
                       Mikek

Lol fuck that forum

OK, maybe you can answer my question then.
  I have Mediasonic HW150 digital Video recorder.
  I recently purchased a WD 1T hard drive, when installed
and I try to record, it says no disk found. Although it
does recognize a USB cable was inserted.
  The drive is in NTFS file format, do I need to change that to FAT32?
                           Mikek

First thing to do is check the firmware revision and update the box to
the latest firmware if you don't have that.

Do you have any small Flash USB sticks lying around? Format one each way
just to see if it recognizes _anything_. If it can't even do that then
the problem is elsewhere.

It looks like it's supposed to support both FAT32 and NTFS, and it
hopefully does support NTFS HDDs because if it don't and you have to use
FAT32 HDDs you'll be limited to a 4 gigabyte file size, which means you
won't be recording at 1080p for more than a couple hours unless it
splits files.

The fact the amazon ad says that there's a hard limit of 2TB on external
drive size makes me think that if it does support NTFS as it's supposed
to that's due to wrong cluster size, maybe? Try formatting the drive at
the minimum NTFS cluster size of 512 bytes instead of what I believe the
Windows default is of 4k


BTW I just played around with the formatting utility in Windows and it
appears to select "GPT"-type partition table for NTFS by default, note
that the manual says the box does _not_ support GPT and the partition
table must be MBR-style, so you have to select that instead when formatting.

Winfield Hill
Guest

Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:45 pm   



bitrex wrote...
Quote:

On 01/24/2019 02:14 PM, amdx wrote:
On 1/24/2019 1:02 PM, bitrex wrote:

Lol fuck that forum

OK, maybe you can answer my question then.
I have Mediasonic HW150 digital Video recorder.
I recently purchased a WD 1T hard drive, when installed
and I try to record, it says no disk found. Although it
does recognize a USB cable was inserted.
The drive is in NTFS file format, do I need to change
that to FAT32?
Mikek

First thing to do is check the firmware revision and update
the box to the latest firmware if you don't have that.
[ snip ]


Hey, amdx, I think you just got your own private forum!


--
Thanks,
- Win

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronics Design - GBps to MB/s

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic version Bulgarian version Catalan version Czech version Danish version German version Greek version English version Spanish version Finnish version French version Hindi version Croatian version Indonesian version Italian version Hebrew version Japanese version Korean version Lithuanian version Latvian version Dutch version Norwegian version Polish version Portuguese version Romanian version Russian version Slovak version Slovenian version Serbian version Swedish version Tagalog version Ukrainian version Vietnamese version Chinese version Turkish version
EDAboard.com map