EDAboard.com | EDAboard.eu | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | RTV forum PL | NewsGroups PL

Fibre

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronics AUS - Fibre

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Rod Speed
Guest

Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:19 pm   



"Petzl" <petzlx_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:3sas5chqeb566rm3q715d8uet2a16prtvb_at_4ax.com...
Quote:
On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 15:47:29 +1100, F Murtz <haggisz_at_hotmail.com
wrote:

Well I hated Telecom to ring across the road was a toll cal (046) to
(02)

That's not true. When that was across the road, it was still a local
call.

Didn't aply to me in Campbelltown?


With my existing bundle all calls are timed.

Well depending on who you sign-up with and what bundle you choose,
very likely timed calls will be dead.


I have just signed up for timed non local calls,
because I call using voip which is untimed.

Xeno
Guest

Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:00 pm   



On 23/12/2016 9:47 PM, Petzl wrote:
Quote:
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 21:32:24 +1100, "Rod Speed"
rod.speed.aaa_at_gmail.com> wrote:



"Petzl" <petzlx_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dflp5ch316bdgl22r51r503bcs24lbc0m1_at_4ax.com...
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 15:16:17 +1100, "Rod Speed"
rod.speed.aaa_at_gmail.com> wrote:

It does appear to be available today at my place.

I was originally planning to stay with dodo until my contract ran out,
8 months @ $24/month break fee. Not attractive in the long term,
myrepublic.net is much better value for 100/40 unlimited, $60, dodo
wants $100 for that. Dodo will allow you to change to the NBN with
no contract penalty, but that involves a whole new 2 year contract.

Dodo's retention people could only offer me $95/month but were
happy to halve the break fee to just $99.

I signed up with myreplublic.net, but that froze on the final screen.
Rang them, but have now been on hold for 25 mins.

They did eventually answer the phone, had no record
of the online signup so I signed up on the phone.

I only found FttN was available by checking online

Mate of mine found a big Telstra van down the main street today
and asked them when it would be available. He said today in half
the town and a couple more weeks in the other half.

About a month later letters started arriving from ISP's of offers.

We've been having those for months now, mostly from iprimus and
someone else I can't remember. None from dodo or telstra tho even
tho I have used both in the past and currently use dodo.

Also had problems for Telstra to give me correct bill always over
charged by around $10. Took them months to give me a TV modem
which I use for programs I miss not paying for any Netflix etc.

Havent used them for more than a decade now. I did use them
when adsl first showed up, basically in case there were problems.

Well I hated Telecom to ring across the road was a toll cal (046) to
(02) when we were allowed to use Optus I changed.


I lived in the 03 Zone in suburban Melbourne, first in Armadale, then
later in Nunawading. Back when I had my first home phone installed, I
could ring anyone in the 03 zone for an untimed local call. You might
note that the 03 Zone covered a huge are back in 1980. We could call St
Albans on 03, Belgrave on 03, Dandenong, Frankston, Greensborough and
many more outer urban areas all on 03. To ring anyone outside this area
into a 0xx zone meant timed local calls at a rate that varied according
to the distance each was from the 03 zone. The adjacent 0xx zone call
charge rate wasn't huge but it was enough to give you cause to limit
your conversations. I don't recall if someone just over the boundary, as
in your case, was dealt with in the same manner but I suspect it was as
you say. All of my friends in the 0xx zones were well over the boundary.

However, and this is where the confusion arises in the minds of some,
the 03 zone was eventually divided up into *Neighbourhood Zones*. These
zones were all still 03 *but* the tariff system changed. I remained in
the inner NH Zone. Some friends in St Albans ended up in the Western(?)
NH Zone, some other friend in Ferntree Gully ended up int the Eastern(?)
NH Zone. I could ring either for an untimed local call and they could
ring me on the same deal since we were on *adjacent neighbourhood
zones*. However, if the people in Ferntree Gully wanted to ring the
people in St Albans, that was a *timed local call* because their zones
were separated by the inner zone. They were not adjacent. The call rate
was not huge but it did stop people using internet modems from leaving
them permanently connected if their provider was in a non-adjacent zone.
I think that may have been one of the motivations, apart from the
obvious one of increased revenue raising. I recall that *Telecom* back
in the days was always on about untimed local calls being a problem. I
can see that it would since people were just starting to connect to the
internet with dialup modems in a big way and tying up the limited number
of inter-exchange lines available. The problem with the system was that
you received no indication that it was a timed local call - no STD pips.
If you weren't privy to the existence of Neighbourhood Zones, you
suddenly ended up with larger than expected phone bills.

The Neighbourhood zones were always published in a map located, IIRC, in
the front section of the White Pages and there was some publicity at the
time of the introduction of the zones.

It's all moot these days since untimed calls, even national, have become
the norm nowadays. I've been on untimed national call plans for some
time and, prior to that, I was on a 99 cent cap for a set period. the
choice of set periods was 20 minutes, 1 hour or 3 hours. I always chose
the 1 hour period. If you went over your set cap, timed rates applied
and, since I was always calling interstate, it didn't take long to rack
up 10 or 20 dollars in the next hour. Solution was to hang up and redial
after, say, 59 minutes and get another hour for 99 cents.

<snip>


--

Xeno

First they ignore you,
Then they ridicule you,
Then they fight you,
Then you win.

Mahatma Ghandi

Xeno
Guest

Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:02 pm   



On 23/12/2016 10:41 PM, Lucifer Morningstar wrote:
Quote:
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 21:47:56 +1100, Petzl <petzlx_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Well I hated Telecom. To ring across the road was a toll call, (046)
to (02).

That's not true. Same or adjacent zone is a local call.

What you say is true for *Neighbourhood Zones*. Different system applies
for 0xx zones.



--

Xeno

First they ignore you,
Then they ridicule you,
Then they fight you,
Then you win.

Mahatma Ghandi

Xeno
Guest

Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:08 pm   



On 24/12/2016 10:19 AM, Petzl wrote:
Quote:
On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 03:58:54 +1100, "Rod Speed"
rod.speed.aaa_at_gmail.com> wrote:



"Petzl" <petzlx_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:khvp5cpmp2v0mv50ln65322qovspm6bv1j_at_4ax.com...
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 21:32:24 +1100, "Rod Speed"
rod.speed.aaa_at_gmail.com> wrote:



"Petzl" <petzlx_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dflp5ch316bdgl22r51r503bcs24lbc0m1_at_4ax.com...
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 15:16:17 +1100, "Rod Speed"
rod.speed.aaa_at_gmail.com> wrote:

It does appear to be available today at my place.

I was originally planning to stay with dodo until my contract ran out,
8 months @ $24/month break fee. Not attractive in the long term,
myrepublic.net is much better value for 100/40 unlimited, $60, dodo
wants $100 for that. Dodo will allow you to change to the NBN with
no contract penalty, but that involves a whole new 2 year contract.

Dodo's retention people could only offer me $95/month but were
happy to halve the break fee to just $99.

I signed up with myreplublic.net, but that froze on the final screen.
Rang them, but have now been on hold for 25 mins.

They did eventually answer the phone, had no record
of the online signup so I signed up on the phone.

I only found FttN was available by checking online

Mate of mine found a big Telstra van down the main street today
and asked them when it would be available. He said today in half
the town and a couple more weeks in the other half.

About a month later letters started arriving from ISP's of offers.

We've been having those for months now, mostly from iprimus and
someone else I can't remember. None from dodo or telstra tho even
tho I have used both in the past and currently use dodo.

Also had problems for Telstra to give me correct bill always over
charged by around $10. Took them months to give me a TV modem
which I use for programs I miss not paying for any Netflix etc.

Havent used them for more than a decade now. I did use them
when adsl first showed up, basically in case there were problems.

Well I hated Telecom to ring across the road was a toll cal (046) to (02)

That's not true. When that was across the road, it was still a local call.

Didn't aply to me in Campbelltown?


You must have been on the very extreme end of the 02 Zone. In Melbourne,
the zones did not extend that far out from the Melbourne CBD. That's
likely because there's not much *east* of Sydney central before you get
rather wet. ;-)

<snip>


--

Xeno

First they ignore you,
Then they ridicule you,
Then they fight you,
Then you win.

Mahatma Ghandi

Xeno
Guest

Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:13 pm   



On 24/12/2016 3:47 PM, F Murtz wrote:

<snip>

Quote:

Havent used them for more than a decade now. I did use them
when adsl first showed up, basically in case there were problems.

Well I hated Telecom to ring across the road was a toll cal (046) to
(02)

That's not true. When that was across the road, it was still a local
call.

Didn't aply to me in Campbelltown?


With my existing bundle all calls are timed.


Must be a piss poor bundle - or cheap.

I have bundled internet and home phone with untimed local and national
calls, even to mobiles regardless of provider. The only calls I pay for
are 1300 numbers and that's generally a flat fee, at least it is with
the numbers I call.

<snip>

--

Xeno

First they ignore you,
Then they ridicule you,
Then they fight you,
Then you win.

Mahatma Ghandi

F Murtz
Guest

Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:55 pm   



Xeno wrote:
Quote:
On 24/12/2016 3:47 PM, F Murtz wrote:

snip


Havent used them for more than a decade now. I did use them
when adsl first showed up, basically in case there were problems.

Well I hated Telecom to ring across the road was a toll cal (046) to
(02)

That's not true. When that was across the road, it was still a local
call.

Didn't aply to me in Campbelltown?


With my existing bundle all calls are timed.

Must be a piss poor bundle - or cheap.

I have bundled internet and home phone with untimed local and national
calls, even to mobiles regardless of provider. The only calls I pay for
are 1300 numbers and that's generally a flat fee, at least it is with
the numbers I call.

snip

It is telstra in an area where they are the only option (till now with
NBN soon)It is $80.00 200gb(they may have upped it)ADSL2+ All calls
timed,with these phenomenal speeds
Ranging from this

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5581014128

To this
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5825905936

They wont see me for dust very soon when the NBN deign to switch on
their already laid fibre.

felix
Guest

Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:13 pm   



On Saturday, 24 Dec 2016 11:13 PM, Xeno wrote:
Quote:
On 24/12/2016 3:47 PM, F Murtz wrote:

snip


Havent used them for more than a decade now. I did use them
when adsl first showed up, basically in case there were problems.

Well I hated Telecom to ring across the road was a toll cal (046) to
(02)

That's not true. When that was across the road, it was still a local
call.

Didn't aply to me in Campbelltown?


With my existing bundle all calls are timed.

Must be a piss poor bundle - or cheap.

I have bundled internet and home phone with untimed local and national
calls, even to mobiles regardless of provider. The only calls I pay
for are 1300 numbers and that's generally a flat fee, at least it is
with the numbers I call.

snip


Xeno! will you please go back to aus.cars!.. when you're not there the
idiots there start picking on me, lol!


--
I plan on living forever. So far so good!

Xeno
Guest

Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:28 pm   



On 25/12/2016 12:13 AM, felix wrote:
Quote:
On Saturday, 24 Dec 2016 11:13 PM, Xeno wrote:
On 24/12/2016 3:47 PM, F Murtz wrote:

snip


Havent used them for more than a decade now. I did use them
when adsl first showed up, basically in case there were problems.

Well I hated Telecom to ring across the road was a toll cal (046) to
(02)

That's not true. When that was across the road, it was still a local
call.

Didn't aply to me in Campbelltown?


With my existing bundle all calls are timed.

Must be a piss poor bundle - or cheap.

I have bundled internet and home phone with untimed local and national
calls, even to mobiles regardless of provider. The only calls I pay
for are 1300 numbers and that's generally a flat fee, at least it is
with the numbers I call.

snip


Xeno! will you please go back to aus.cars!.. when you're not there the
idiots there start picking on me, lol!


I am trying to catch up on the posts. Thought I'd pop in here - fewer
posts to deal with in the same 48 hour time span!

I did notice that the animals started to turn on themselves - as animals
are wont to do.

--

Xeno

First they ignore you,
Then they ridicule you,
Then they fight you,
Then you win.

Mahatma Ghandi

Petzl
Guest

Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:57 am   



On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 19:19:07 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.speed.aaa_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:


"Petzl" <petzlx_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:3sas5chqeb566rm3q715d8uet2a16prtvb_at_4ax.com...
On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 15:47:29 +1100, F Murtz <haggisz_at_hotmail.com
wrote:

Well I hated Telecom to ring across the road was a toll cal (046) to
(02)

That's not true. When that was across the road, it was still a local
call.

Didn't aply to me in Campbelltown?


With my existing bundle all calls are timed.

Well depending on who you sign-up with and what bundle you choose,
very likely timed calls will be dead.

I have just signed up for timed non local calls,
because I call using voip which is untimed.


Does that include mobile calls nationally?
Most I call use mobile phones not landline so it was an advantage to
get mobile calls included in package.
Plus I wanted the 1000 gig data and the Telstra video (which does not
come off my data count/use).
--
Petzl

Petzl
Guest

Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:09 am   



On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 23:02:18 +1100, Xeno <xenolith_at_optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

Quote:
On 23/12/2016 10:41 PM, Lucifer Morningstar wrote:
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 21:47:56 +1100, Petzl <petzlx_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Well I hated Telecom. To ring across the road was a toll call, (046)
to (02).

That's not true. Same or adjacent zone is a local call.

What you say is true for *Neighbourhood Zones*. Different system applies
for 0xx zones.


It wasn't true straight after me getting connected to bad crackly
phone by unemployable arseholes Telecom should of fired.
Instead the "mangers" looked at a map and sent these pathetic clowns
to Sydney's developing suburbs.
Then when redundancies came only the employable left.

Only after Telstra came about with Optus did *Neighbourhood Zones*
come about.

the demographic centre of sydney was/is Parramatta yet Telecom used
"First Fleet Park" to maximise local call exclusion.
--
Petzl

~misfit~
Guest

Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:15 am   



Once upon a time on usenet Petzl wrote:
Quote:
On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 08:25:39 +1100, "Rod Speed"
[snipped]
Interesting point, it isnt at all obvious how the power gets to the
node box.

None of ours have any connection to the mains poles.

You might be getting Fibre to the Home (FttH)?
Our power is underground with home power supply conneted through base
of Street Light Pole. The Same power source for Node.


I don't know what type of FttH you guys are using but here in NZ we use a
'PON' Passive Optical Network (GPON to be exact). It only needs power at the
home and the exchange. In ground plitters etc. are passive, no power
required.
--
Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long way when religious belief has a cozy
little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
(*Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders)

Rod Speed
Guest

Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:18 am   



"Petzl" <petzlx_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:pc2u5chdpoamdnjvpr5evvsvhj917r8v1i_at_4ax.com...
Quote:
On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 19:19:07 +1100, "Rod Speed"
rod.speed.aaa_at_gmail.com> wrote:



"Petzl" <petzlx_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:3sas5chqeb566rm3q715d8uet2a16prtvb_at_4ax.com...
On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 15:47:29 +1100, F Murtz <haggisz_at_hotmail.com
wrote:

Well I hated Telecom to ring across the road was a toll cal (046) to
(02)

That's not true. When that was across the road, it was still a local
call.

Didn't aply to me in Campbelltown?


With my existing bundle all calls are timed.

Well depending on who you sign-up with and what bundle you choose,
very likely timed calls will be dead.

I have just signed up for timed non local calls,
because I call using voip which is untimed.

Does that include mobile calls nationally?


No, the voip doesn't.

Quote:
Most I call use mobile phones not landline so it was
an advantage to get mobile calls included in package.


Sure, but most have unlimited calls to mobiles with the mobile.

Quote:
Plus I wanted the 1000 gig data and the Telstra video
(which does not come off my data count/use).


I went for unlimited data. Didn't cost any more,
$60 a month with 100/40, with myrepublic.net

There are various levels of included calls for an
extra cost per month with that, $20/month with
unlimited calls to national landlines and mobiles.

Not very attractive to me, I would be better to
go with the amaysim $25/month plan and get
unlimited calls to landlines and mobiles that
way and be able to do that when not at home.
I make the absolute vast bulk of calls to mobiles
when out and about on the garage sale run.

Currently I'm on the pay as you go with amaysim
and mostly only pay $10 a month or so for all
calls, texts and data. Most of those I call for other
than short mobile calls have unlimited calls to
mobiles so they just call me back when I call them.

keithr0
Guest

Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:00 pm   



On 12/24/2016 1:33 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
Quote:


"Petzl" <petzlx_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:oqbr5cdbkpe2gnhvcd5srdas74r1d5cjtc_at_4ax.com...
On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 03:58:54 +1100, "Rod Speed"
rod.speed.aaa_at_gmail.com> wrote:



"Petzl" <petzlx_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:khvp5cpmp2v0mv50ln65322qovspm6bv1j_at_4ax.com...
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 21:32:24 +1100, "Rod Speed"
rod.speed.aaa_at_gmail.com> wrote:



"Petzl" <petzlx_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dflp5ch316bdgl22r51r503bcs24lbc0m1_at_4ax.com...
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 15:16:17 +1100, "Rod Speed"
rod.speed.aaa_at_gmail.com> wrote:

It does appear to be available today at my place.

I was originally planning to stay with dodo until my contract
ran out,
8 months @ $24/month break fee. Not attractive in the long term,
myrepublic.net is much better value for 100/40 unlimited, $60, dodo
wants $100 for that. Dodo will allow you to change to the NBN with
no contract penalty, but that involves a whole new 2 year contract.

Dodo's retention people could only offer me $95/month but were
happy to halve the break fee to just $99.

I signed up with myreplublic.net, but that froze on the final
screen.
Rang them, but have now been on hold for 25 mins.

They did eventually answer the phone, had no record
of the online signup so I signed up on the phone.

I only found FttN was available by checking online

Mate of mine found a big Telstra van down the main street today
and asked them when it would be available. He said today in half
the town and a couple more weeks in the other half.

About a month later letters started arriving from ISP's of offers.

We've been having those for months now, mostly from iprimus and
someone else I can't remember. None from dodo or telstra tho even
tho I have used both in the past and currently use dodo.

Also had problems for Telstra to give me correct bill always over
charged by around $10. Took them months to give me a TV modem
which I use for programs I miss not paying for any Netflix etc.

Havent used them for more than a decade now. I did use them
when adsl first showed up, basically in case there were problems.

Well I hated Telecom to ring across the road was a toll cal (046) to
(02)

That's not true. When that was across the road, it was still a local
call.

Didn't aply to me in Campbelltown?

Yes it did.

when we were allowed to use Optus I changed.

I do use them for mobile, or more
strictly amaysim who resells them.

Now with NBN freecalls becoming a norm,

That is not correct. You pay extra per month for that.

something must change even better?

What ?

Problem here is like all bureaucracies they can't or won't
fire dickheads instead they sent them to Sydney's furtherest
outpost. A legacy of this was bodged copperwire instalation.

The NBN is being done by contractors.

Who is doing Turnbulls FttN copper to home?

Dunno, ours used largely unmarked Avis rental vans.

The bigger trucks used to dig the holes that the nodes
are above, in the green metal boxes, were also unmarked,
presumably also rented.


The original ones around our way were identifiable as Thiess Brothers.
There was another mob that had ID on their vans they were called
Visionstream, I think that they were the ones doing the fibre
termination which is the most skilled part of the job.

http://www.visionstream.com.au/projects/nbn/

Rod Speed
Guest

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:44 am   



"keithr0" <user_at_account.invalid> wrote in message
news:ec9qn9FcjlvU1_at_mid.individual.net...
Quote:
On 12/24/2016 1:33 PM, Rod Speed wrote:


"Petzl" <petzlx_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:oqbr5cdbkpe2gnhvcd5srdas74r1d5cjtc_at_4ax.com...
On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 03:58:54 +1100, "Rod Speed"
rod.speed.aaa_at_gmail.com> wrote:



"Petzl" <petzlx_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:khvp5cpmp2v0mv50ln65322qovspm6bv1j_at_4ax.com...
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 21:32:24 +1100, "Rod Speed"
rod.speed.aaa_at_gmail.com> wrote:



"Petzl" <petzlx_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dflp5ch316bdgl22r51r503bcs24lbc0m1_at_4ax.com...
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 15:16:17 +1100, "Rod Speed"
rod.speed.aaa_at_gmail.com> wrote:

It does appear to be available today at my place.

I was originally planning to stay with dodo until my contract
ran out,
8 months @ $24/month break fee. Not attractive in the long term,
myrepublic.net is much better value for 100/40 unlimited, $60,
dodo
wants $100 for that. Dodo will allow you to change to the NBN with
no contract penalty, but that involves a whole new 2 year
contract.


The whirlpool comments on myrepublic arent great, will be interesting to see
how they pan out in practice. Rather slower delivery of a service than some.
The local telstra shop manager I was talking to in the big van they had up
the main street on Friday and Saturday said that those who had ordered
a service on Friday were given a 3-Jan date for actually being able to use
it. Bit hard to believe given that they would have to be pretty lucky to
deliver the modem/router that quick given the sag between Xmas and
New Year with Aust Post.

No one has admitted to having ordered on on the local facebook
community noticeboard yet so itís a bit hard to see if that will happen.

The general opinion on whirlpool is that Telstra's delivery is one of the
best.

Pretty lousy value tho.

Quote:
Dodo's retention people could only offer me $95/month but were
happy to halve the break fee to just $99.

I signed up with myreplublic.net, but that froze on the final
screen.
Rang them, but have now been on hold for 25 mins.

They did eventually answer the phone, had no record
of the online signup so I signed up on the phone.

I only found FttN was available by checking online

Mate of mine found a big Telstra van down the main street today
and asked them when it would be available. He said today in half
the town and a couple more weeks in the other half.

About a month later letters started arriving from ISP's of offers.

We've been having those for months now, mostly from iprimus and
someone else I can't remember. None from dodo or telstra tho even
tho I have used both in the past and currently use dodo.

Also had problems for Telstra to give me correct bill always over
charged by around $10. Took them months to give me a TV modem
which I use for programs I miss not paying for any Netflix etc.

Havent used them for more than a decade now. I did use them
when adsl first showed up, basically in case there were problems.

Well I hated Telecom to ring across the road was a toll cal (046) to
(02)

That's not true. When that was across the road, it was still a local
call.

Didn't aply to me in Campbelltown?

Yes it did.

when we were allowed to use Optus I changed.

I do use them for mobile, or more
strictly amaysim who resells them.

Now with NBN freecalls becoming a norm,

That is not correct. You pay extra per month for that.

something must change even better?

What ?

Problem here is like all bureaucracies they can't or won't
fire dickheads instead they sent them to Sydney's furtherest
outpost. A legacy of this was bodged copperwire instalation.

The NBN is being done by contractors.

Who is doing Turnbulls FttN copper to home?

Dunno, ours used largely unmarked Avis rental vans.

The bigger trucks used to dig the holes that the nodes
are above, in the green metal boxes, were also unmarked,
presumably also rented.

The original ones around our way were identifiable as Thiess Brothers.
There was another mob that had ID on their vans they were called
Visionstream, I think that they were the ones doing the fibre termination
which is the most skilled part of the job.

http://www.visionstream.com.au/projects/nbn/


Come to think of it, never noticed anyone running any fiber.

But then I mostly did a bit of a wander in the car after
the garage sale run early on Saturday mornings to see
where they were up to so may well have missed that.

Turns out ours was usable rather quicker than yours,

Not clear if our pillars have been modified or not,
they do appear to be a bit taller than they were maybe
and certainly mostly have new covers on them with
handles down the full length of both sides. I thought
those were temporary covers but they now have
proper id lettering on them so are unlikely to be temps.

According to that Telstra shop manager, they do jumper
from your adsl service to your FTTN service in those pillars.

The poor bugger is out on the extreme edge of town
in the newest subdivision and they get a wireless NBN
service from the village a bit further out that isnt going
to get FTTN. Pathetic performance, very variable and
download speeds using speedtest can be 1Mb at times
and is never better than 25. I might get 80 myself.

Rod Speed
Guest

Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:30 am   



"F Murtz" <haggisz_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:58609746$0$44354$b1db1813$145976f0_at_news.astraweb.com...
Quote:
Rod Speed wrote:


"keithr0" <user_at_account.invalid> wrote in message
news:ec9qn9FcjlvU1_at_mid.individual.net...
On 12/24/2016 1:33 PM, Rod Speed wrote:


"Petzl" <petzlx_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:oqbr5cdbkpe2gnhvcd5srdas74r1d5cjtc_at_4ax.com...
On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 03:58:54 +1100, "Rod Speed"
rod.speed.aaa_at_gmail.com> wrote:



"Petzl" <petzlx_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:khvp5cpmp2v0mv50ln65322qovspm6bv1j_at_4ax.com...
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 21:32:24 +1100, "Rod Speed"
rod.speed.aaa_at_gmail.com> wrote:



"Petzl" <petzlx_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dflp5ch316bdgl22r51r503bcs24lbc0m1_at_4ax.com...
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 15:16:17 +1100, "Rod Speed"
rod.speed.aaa_at_gmail.com> wrote:

It does appear to be available today at my place.

I was originally planning to stay with dodo until my contract
ran out,
8 months @ $24/month break fee. Not attractive in the long term,
myrepublic.net is much better value for 100/40 unlimited, $60,
dodo
wants $100 for that. Dodo will allow you to change to the NBN
with
no contract penalty, but that involves a whole new 2 year
contract.

The whirlpool comments on myrepublic arent great, will be interesting to
see how they pan out in practice. Rather slower delivery of a service
than some.

The local telstra shop manager I was talking to in the big van they had
up the main street on Friday and Saturday said that those who had ordered
a service on Friday were given a 3-Jan date for actually being able to
use it. Bit hard to believe given that they would have to be pretty lucky
to deliver the modem/router that quick given the sag between Xmas and New
Year with Aust Post.


But I have since been told by someone else who signed up on
Friday that they got a date of 3-Feb which is much more plausible.

I know he said 3-Jan to me because that surprised me so much,
but they arent open today so I can't ring and ask him to confirm
that 3-Jan date till tomorrow, assuming they do open tomorrow.

Quote:
No one has admitted to having ordered on on the local facebook
community noticeboard yet so itís a bit hard to see if that will happen.

The general opinion on whirlpool is that Telstra's delivery is one of
the best.

Pretty lousy value tho.

Dodo's retention people could only offer me $95/month but were
happy to halve the break fee to just $99.

I signed up with myreplublic.net, but that froze on the final
screen.
Rang them, but have now been on hold for 25 mins.

They did eventually answer the phone, had no record
of the online signup so I signed up on the phone.

I only found FttN was available by checking online

Mate of mine found a big Telstra van down the main street today
and asked them when it would be available. He said today in half
the town and a couple more weeks in the other half.

About a month later letters started arriving from ISP's of offers.

We've been having those for months now, mostly from iprimus and
someone else I can't remember. None from dodo or telstra tho even
tho I have used both in the past and currently use dodo.

Also had problems for Telstra to give me correct bill always over
charged by around $10. Took them months to give me a TV modem
which I use for programs I miss not paying for any Netflix etc.

Havent used them for more than a decade now. I did use them
when adsl first showed up, basically in case there were problems.

Well I hated Telecom to ring across the road was a toll cal (046) to
(02)

That's not true. When that was across the road, it was still a local
call.

Didn't aply to me in Campbelltown?

Yes it did.

when we were allowed to use Optus I changed.

I do use them for mobile, or more
strictly amaysim who resells them.

Now with NBN freecalls becoming a norm,

That is not correct. You pay extra per month for that.

something must change even better?

What ?

Problem here is like all bureaucracies they can't or won't
fire dickheads instead they sent them to Sydney's furtherest
outpost. A legacy of this was bodged copperwire instalation.

The NBN is being done by contractors.

Who is doing Turnbulls FttN copper to home?

Dunno, ours used largely unmarked Avis rental vans.

The bigger trucks used to dig the holes that the nodes
are above, in the green metal boxes, were also unmarked,
presumably also rented.

The original ones around our way were identifiable as Thiess Brothers.
There was another mob that had ID on their vans they were called
Visionstream, I think that they were the ones doing the fibre
termination which is the most skilled part of the job.

http://www.visionstream.com.au/projects/nbn/

Come to think of it, never noticed anyone running any fiber.

But then I mostly did a bit of a wander in the car after
the garage sale run early on Saturday mornings to see
where they were up to so may well have missed that.

Turns out ours was usable rather quicker than yours,

Not clear if our pillars have been modified or not,
they do appear to be a bit taller than they were maybe
and certainly mostly have new covers on them with
handles down the full length of both sides. I thought
those were temporary covers but they now have
proper id lettering on them so are unlikely to be temps.

According to that Telstra shop manager, they do jumper
from your adsl service to your FTTN service in those pillars.

The poor bugger is out on the extreme edge of town
in the newest subdivision and they get a wireless NBN
service from the village a bit further out that isnt going
to get FTTN. Pathetic performance, very variable and
download speeds using speedtest can be 1Mb at times
and is never better than 25. I might get 80 myself.

Well I hope they hurry up so I can get an idea of myrepublic before I join
up,


Yeah, tho mine will be the classic 'pathetically inadequate
sample', particularly with Xmas day and New Years day involved.

I'm still going thru the whirlpool thread and have since seen
a comment that there wont be any new connections till 4-Jan,
due to the Xmas/New Year shut down, so it looks like what
the manager told me on Saturday is likely to have been a
misstatement and he meant 3-Feb.

> PS. I never take all that much notice of whirlpool reports

Yeah, you certainly have to take them with a sack of salt,
its never going to be possible to be sure how many of the
shitty reports are actually done by their competitors and
certainly the absolute vast bulk of those with a net service
will never have even heard of whirlpool and there will
always be the other effect, its mostly those who end
up with a bad result who even bother to comment.

Quote:
although they sometimes set my mind off on other tangents where I can get
a better idea.


There are a significant number of the addicts
that do know what they are talking about tho.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronics AUS - Fibre

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic versionBulgarian versionCatalan versionCzech versionDanish versionGerman versionGreek versionEnglish versionSpanish versionFinnish versionFrench versionHindi versionCroatian versionIndonesian versionItalian versionHebrew versionJapanese versionKorean versionLithuanian versionLatvian versionDutch versionNorwegian versionPolish versionPortuguese versionRomanian versionRussian versionSlovak versionSlovenian versionSerbian versionSwedish versionTagalog versionUkrainian versionVietnamese versionChinese version
RTV map EDAboard.com map News map EDAboard.eu map EDAboard.de map EDAboard.co.uk map