EDAboard.com | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | WTWH Media

[EDA] Kicad User Group

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - EDA CAD Electronics - [EDA] Kicad User Group

Ian Bell
Guest

Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:23 am   



Kicad is an powerful, easy to use, open source, cross platform schematic
capture and PCB layout package. The Kicad User Group is just over a month
old and already has over 100 members. Check out Kicad at:

http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/index.html

It's free and runs on both Windows and Linux.

Ian

Boris Mohar
Guest

Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:59 am   



On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:23:50 +0000, Ian Bell <ruffrecords_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

Quote:
Kicad is an powerful, easy to use, open source, cross platform schematic
capture and PCB layout package. The Kicad User Group is just over a month
old and already has over 100 members. Check out Kicad at:

http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/index.html

It's free and runs on both Windows and Linux.

Ian

Got to check this out. At 104 megs zipped it better be something.



Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

JeffM
Guest

Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:25 pm   



Quote:
Kicad is an powerful, easy to use, open source, cross platform
schematic capture and PCB layout package.
http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/index.html
It's free and runs on both Windows and Linux.
Ian Bell

Got to check this out. At 104 megs zipped it better be something.
Boris Mohar

Notes on Free Dog's test drive (Aug 2005):
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:zy9bjEzj590J:www.mail-archive.com/geda-user_at_seul.org/msg05400.html+nice+better+outstanding+This-is-not-natural+logical+consistent+netlist+multi-page+footprint-editor+Gerber+multiple+doesn't-build-nicely+scriptable

Boris Mohar
Guest

Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:05 pm   



On 15 Oct 2005 13:25:08 -0700, "JeffM" <jeffm__at_email.com> wrote:

Quote:
Kicad is an powerful, easy to use, open source, cross platform
schematic capture and PCB layout package.
http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/index.html
It's free and runs on both Windows and Linux.
Ian Bell

Got to check this out. At 104 megs zipped it better be something.
Boris Mohar

Notes on Free Dog's test drive (Aug 2005):
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:zy9bjEzj590J:www.mail-archive.com/geda-user_at_seul.org/msg05400.html+nice+better+outstanding+This-is-not-natural+logical+consistent+netlist+multi-page+footprint-editor+Gerber+multiple+doesn't-build-nicely+scriptable

Installed without any trouble. I opened a demo board and rerouted one track
through copperpour (zone) Copperpour would not back off. No amount of
refreshing, zooming, saving and reopening would get rid of the short.

Opened Help. Although it is indexed there is on search function.

Needs work. Will try again in about a year.



Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Ian Bell
Guest

Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:46 pm   



JeffM wrote:

Quote:
Kicad is an powerful, easy to use, open source, cross platform
schematic capture and PCB layout package.
http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/index.html
It's free and runs on both Windows and Linux.
Ian Bell

Got to check this out. At 104 megs zipped it better be something.
Boris Mohar

Notes on Free Dog's test drive (Aug 2005):

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:zy9bjEzj590J:www.mail-archive.com/geda-user_at_seul.org/msg05400.html+nice+better+outstanding+This-is-not-natural+logical+consistent+netlist+multi-page+footprint-editor+Gerber+multiple+doesn't-build-nicely+scriptable


Note that the first three problems this reviewer found with the shematic
capture package Eschema have now been addressed.

Ian

Ian Bell
Guest

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:33 am   



Boris Mohar wrote:

Quote:
On 15 Oct 2005 13:25:08 -0700, "JeffM" <jeffm__at_email.com> wrote:

Kicad is an powerful, easy to use, open source, cross platform
schematic capture and PCB layout package.
http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/index.html
It's free and runs on both Windows and Linux.
Ian Bell

Got to check this out. At 104 megs zipped it better be something.
Boris Mohar

Notes on Free Dog's test drive (Aug 2005):
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:zy9bjEzj590J:www.mail-archive.com/geda-user_at_seul.org/msg05400.html+nice+better+outstanding+This-is-not-natural+logical+consistent+netlist+multi-page+footprint-editor+Gerber+multiple+doesn't-build-nicely+scriptable

Installed without any trouble. I opened a demo board and rerouted one
track
through copperpour (zone) Copperpour would not back off. No amount of
refreshing, zooming, saving and reopening would get rid of the short.


Interesting. Did it actually *allow* you to route that track? Usually the
DRC flags it as you route it.

IAn

Boris Mohar
Guest

Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:33 pm   



On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:33:18 +0000, Ian Bell <ruffrecords_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

Quote:
Boris Mohar wrote:

On 15 Oct 2005 13:25:08 -0700, "JeffM" <jeffm__at_email.com> wrote:

Kicad is an powerful, easy to use, open source, cross platform
schematic capture and PCB layout package.
http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/index.html
It's free and runs on both Windows and Linux.
Ian Bell

Got to check this out. At 104 megs zipped it better be something.
Boris Mohar

Notes on Free Dog's test drive (Aug 2005):
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:zy9bjEzj590J:www.mail-archive.com/geda-user_at_seul.org/msg05400.html+nice+better+outstanding+This-is-not-natural+logical+consistent+netlist+multi-page+footprint-editor+Gerber+multiple+doesn't-build-nicely+scriptable

Installed without any trouble. I opened a demo board and rerouted one
track
through copperpour (zone) Copperpour would not back off. No amount of
refreshing, zooming, saving and reopening would get rid of the short.


Interesting. Did it actually *allow* you to route that track? Usually the
DRC flags it as you route it.

IAn

Yes it did. I didn't see the drc flags. I use Orcad PCB386. Best by far
although Pulsonix is starting to look tempting. I just cannot justify
purchasing it.
--

Boris Mohar

Dave Boland
Guest

Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:44 pm   



Ian Bell wrote:
Quote:
Kicad is an powerful, easy to use, open source, cross platform schematic
capture and PCB layout package. The Kicad User Group is just over a month
old and already has over 100 members. Check out Kicad at:

http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/index.html

It's free and runs on both Windows and Linux.

Ian

Ian,

Would it be possible to have appends to the user group
echoed to this one? The reason for asking is that I really
don't care for web based news groups, so at least I would
have visibility to what is going on. The advantage to Kicad
is that it gets more exposure, which is good.

Also, would it be possible to put the documentation file on
the web site? I would like to look at it before taking the
time to try the program.

Thanks,
Dave

Ian Bell
Guest

Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:08 pm   



Boris Mohar wrote:

Quote:
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:33:18 +0000, Ian Bell <ruffrecords_at_yahoo.com
wrote:


Interesting. Did it actually *allow* you to route that track? Usually the
DRC flags it as you route it.

IAn

Yes it did. I didn't see the drc flags.

Interesting. I will pass this on to the developer. So far I have *always*
found that a DRC violation while routing is flagged immediately (a small
arrow pointing to the place where the violation occurred) and when you
click 'end track' the track is not drawn but erased.

Quote:
I use Orcad PCB386. Best by far
although Pulsonix is starting to look tempting. I just cannot justify
purchasing it.

Fortunately Kicad is free.

Ian

Ian Bell
Guest

Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:30 pm   



Dave Boland wrote:
Quote:

Ian,

Would it be possible to have appends to the Kicad user group
echoed to this one? The reason for asking is that I really
don't care for web based news groups, so at least I would
have visibility to what is going on. The advantage to Kicad
is that it gets more exposure, which is good.

I don't know if this is possible to be honest but I will check with yahoo.
Quote:

Also, would it be possible to put the documentation file on
the web site? I would like to look at it before taking the
time to try the program.


Kicad documentation is available in several languages under the ftp section
of the web site. A direct link to the English documentation is:

ftp://iut-tice.ujf-grenoble.fr/cao/kicad/help/en/

Ian

JeffM
Guest

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:35 pm   



Quote:
Would it be possible to have appends to [Yahoo's Kicad User Group]
echoed to this one?
Dave Boland

You do know that sci.electronics.cad is archived on groups.google.com.
Don't you?

You want Yahoo to allow their content to be mirrored on their
arch-rival?
Not bloody likely.

samIam
Guest

Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:57 pm   



I nearly wet my pants when I saw this ... VERY GOOD news indeed.
Ill have to check it out later.

In my hobby proj, I use paper and orchad schematic capture THEN
PCB (open source) for layout

Nice to see an OSS that combines both

Ian Bell wrote:

Quote:
Kicad is an powerful, easy to use, open source, cross platform schematic
capture and PCB layout package. The Kicad User Group is just over a month
old and already has over 100 members. Check out Kicad at:

http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/index.html

It's free and runs on both Windows and Linux.

Ian


Ian Bell
Guest

Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:52 pm   



samIam wrote:

Quote:
I nearly wet my pants when I saw this ... VERY GOOD news indeed.
Ill have to check it out later.

In my hobby proj, I use paper and orchad schematic capture THEN
PCB (open source) for layout

Nice to see an OSS that combines both


That's why I started the user group. My designs are for a charity which has
very limited funds so I had tried a variety of free or open source
packages. Most had the quirky user interfaces that seem to be an
unfortunate hallmark of EDA. Eagle was probably the best but is limited for
zero cost use. When I found Kicad it was like a breath of fresh air. It is
by no means complete, the documentation is basic and the libraries need
expanding but in less than two months of its existence the user group has
begun to address all these.

Ian


Guest

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:38 am   



On Saturday, October 15, 2005 at 3:23:50 AM UTC-8, Ian Bell wrote:
Quote:
Kicad is an powerful, easy to use, open source, cross platform schematic
capture and PCB layout package. The Kicad User Group is just over a month
old and already has over 100 members. Check out Kicad at:

http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/index.html

It's free and runs on both Windows and Linux.

Ian


Well, i think i better give up on Kicad.
Made a fresh install in Win7 SP1, and tried to follow the YouTube tutorial #1.

It does not help that the video image is SMALL and BLURRY (no, "full screen" does not help).

Got the component, but the instruction to "click on this button" cannot work because it does not exist.
In fact, the top array of icons DO NOT MATCH in number or type.

Still NO WAY to get a selected component into the working schematic screen.

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - EDA CAD Electronics - [EDA] Kicad User Group

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic version Bulgarian version Catalan version Czech version Danish version German version Greek version English version Spanish version Finnish version French version Hindi version Croatian version Indonesian version Italian version Hebrew version Japanese version Korean version Lithuanian version Latvian version Dutch version Norwegian version Polish version Portuguese version Romanian version Russian version Slovak version Slovenian version Serbian version Swedish version Tagalog version Ukrainian version Vietnamese version Chinese version Turkish version
EDAboard.com map