EDAboard.com | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | WTWH Media

component identification please

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronic for beginners - component identification please


Guest

Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:45 pm   



I have searched google but cant identify these two components.

I think they are Diodes. they look like Diodes, Black with two conductors at either end.

1 Says D1, only this. It has a two symbols on it that are printed at one end that are repeated around the circumference of the component that is mayb 1/8 of and inch thick. It is two solid triangles repeated around the end.

E.G. /\ \/ /\ \/ etc.

When I put my volt meter on it, assuming that it is a diode and setting my meter to Diode test I get nothing. There are about 4 of them. So I doubt they are all blown if at all. There is no result no matter which way I put the polarity.

The Second component also looks like a diode. It is also in the row that has the above components in them.

It has sort of a chevron around one end. Repeated in circumference. E.G.
<==< <==< . The only identifying mark apears to be the number 22 on it.

I tried testing this also but no luck on diode setting.

Any ideas.

Perhaps if they are diodes the meter does not have enough to get it moving forward. I believe many diodes use about .6 v. before working. I assume that is what the meter is putting out?

Thank you.

Look165
Guest

Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:45 pm   



Try to test with ohm-meter ; but ways

According to description, it seems to be the old OA something (Ge
diodes), so 0.3V drop out and the diode-meter doesn't understand (it
never met such a component).
If you remove the black paint, you surely will see a cristal with a "s"
connected to.
Take care, after removal of the black paint, the semiconductor behaves
as photosensitive.

Can you post a pix ?

stevwolf58_at_gmail.com a écrit le 27/12/2018 à 17:48 :
Quote:
I have searched google but cant identify these two components.

I think they are Diodes. they look like Diodes, Black with two conductors at either end.

1 Says D1, only this. It has a two symbols on it that are printed at one end that are repeated around the circumference of the component that is mayb 1/8 of and inch thick. It is two solid triangles repeated around the end.

E.G. /\ \/ /\ \/ etc.

When I put my volt meter on it, assuming that it is a diode and setting my meter to Diode test I get nothing. There are about 4 of them. So I doubt they are all blown if at all. There is no result no matter which way I put the polarity.

The Second component also looks like a diode. It is also in the row that has the above components in them.

It has sort of a chevron around one end. Repeated in circumference. E.G.
==< <==< . The only identifying mark apears to be the number 22 on it.

I tried testing this also but no luck on diode setting.

Any ideas.

Perhaps if they are diodes the meter does not have enough to get it moving forward. I believe many diodes use about .6 v. before working. I assume that is what the meter is putting out?

Thank you.


default
Guest

Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:45 pm   



On Thu, 27 Dec 2018 08:48:31 -0800 (PST), stevwolf58_at_gmail.com wrote:

Quote:
I have searched google but cant identify these two components.

I think they are Diodes. they look like Diodes, Black with two conductors at either end.

1 Says D1, only this. It has a two symbols on it that are printed at one end that are repeated around the circumference of the component that is mayb 1/8 of and inch thick. It is two solid triangles repeated around the end.

E.G. /\ \/ /\ \/ etc.

When I put my volt meter on it, assuming that it is a diode and setting my meter to Diode test I get nothing. There are about 4 of them. So I doubt they are all blown if at all. There is no result no matter which way I put the polarity.

The Second component also looks like a diode. It is also in the row that has the above components in them.

It has sort of a chevron around one end. Repeated in circumference. E.G.
==< <==< . The only identifying mark apears to be the number 22 on it.

I tried testing this also but no luck on diode setting.

Any ideas.

Perhaps if they are diodes the meter does not have enough to get it moving forward. I believe many diodes use about .6 v. before working. I assume that is what the meter is putting out?

Thank you.


There are 4 of them? So what does the circuit look like... a full
wave bridge?

There were some avalanche diodes that were designed to clamp voltage
peaks - like back to back zener diodes in a single device. They would
garner the D designation and wouldn't be tested with a multimeter
since they conduct at higher voltages, than the 9V your meter uses(?).

You may also want to check your meter with a known good diode, then
two forward biased diodes in series, then 3.... to answer the question
of what the meter is "putting out."


Guest

Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:45 pm   



This is an old circuit board, nice thick layer of shellac on it.
I'm not sure if I can send picture. Can you do it on this newsgroup?? If not how can I do it?

This is plastic or typical diode plastic. I think if you scrape it your scraping the component its self arn't you?

Look165
Guest

Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:45 pm   



Just put a .jpg as attached file.

Look165 a écrit le 27/12/2018 à 18:36 :
Quote:
Try to test with ohm-meter ; but ways

According to description, it seems to be the old OA something (Ge
diodes), so 0.3V drop out and the diode-meter doesn't understand (it
never met such a component).
If you remove the black paint, you surely will see a cristal with a
"s" connected to.
Take care, after removal of the black paint, the semiconductor behaves
as photosensitive.

Can you post a pix ?

stevwolf58_at_gmail.com a écrit le 27/12/2018 à 17:48 :
I have searched google but cant identify these two components.

I think they are Diodes. they look like Diodes, Black with two
conductors at either end.

1 Says D1, only this. It has a two symbols on it that are printed at
one end that are repeated around the circumference of the component
that is mayb 1/8 of and inch thick. It is two solid triangles 
repeated around the end.

E.G. /\ \/ /\ \/ etc.

When I put my volt meter on it, assuming that it is a diode and
setting my meter to Diode test I get nothing. There are about 4 of
them. So I doubt they are all blown if at all. There is no result no
matter which way I put the polarity.

The Second component also looks like a diode. It is also in the row
that has the above components in them.

It has sort of a chevron around one end. Repeated in circumference. E.G.
==<  <==< . The only identifying mark apears to be the number 22 on it.

I tried testing this also but no luck on diode setting.

Any ideas.

Perhaps if they are diodes the meter does not have enough to get it
moving forward. I believe many diodes use about .6 v. before working.
I assume that is what the meter is putting out?

Thank you.




Guest

Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:45 pm   



Actually of the first component there are 6 of them, then two of the second..
I would send picture but I dont know how to put pictures on this news group..

I put Ohm meter on them.

The first components all show the same Ohms.
eg set Meter to 200M then put the (-) on the end that has the /\/\ on it and (+) on the other end it shows 2.1 Mega ohm. This is true for all 6 components. My guess is that what ever they are they are all showing the same, which to me means they are all good my guess anyway.

On the other component I do the same thing and it shows 5.0. Mega ohm on both. Again this probably indicates that they are both good. Although I know this method is not the best, but just some hillbilly logic.


Guest

Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:45 pm   



Well as far as it goes all this components only work as I described above I cannot get and Ohms the other way around. I have moved my meter from 200 to 200M. Nothing.

Rheilly Phoull
Guest

Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:45 pm   



On 28/12/2018 5:35 am, stevwolf58_at_gmail.com wrote:
Quote:
Actually of the first component there are 6 of them, then two of the second.
I would send picture but I dont know how to put pictures on this news group.

I put Ohm meter on them.

The first components all show the same Ohms.
eg set Meter to 200M then put the (-) on the end that has the /\/\ on it and (+) on the other end it shows 2.1 Mega ohm. This is true for all 6 components. My guess is that what ever they are they are all showing the same, which to me means they are all good my guess anyway.

On the other component I do the same thing and it shows 5.0. Mega ohm on both. Again this probably indicates that they are both good. Although I know this method is not the best, but just some hillbilly logic.

To check a diode that way you should have conductivity of low ohms when
connected one way and high resistance (Megohms) the other way ( leads
reversed)


Guest

Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:45 pm   



I am no expert by any means on all things internet. But when i use google groups to read this newsgroup there is no option that I can see to upload a picture. Unless you have done so in the past, I dont believe that this group allows it. Over the years I have not seen it.
Sorry. If I am wrong.

John Larkin
Guest

Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:45 am   



On Thu, 27 Dec 2018 14:23:24 -0800 (PST), stevwolf58_at_gmail.com wrote:

Quote:
I am no expert by any means on all things internet. But when i use google groups to read this newsgroup there is no option that I can see to upload a picture. Unless you have done so in the past, I dont believe that this group allows it. Over the years I have not seen it.
Sorry. If I am wrong.


This is not a "binaries" group, so no pix.

Most people put an image into one of the free picture-posting sites,
or Dropbox, and include the link here.


--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Look165
Guest

Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:45 pm   



Just start your post and with the thumnail attach a document (text, pix...).

With Seamonkey (Thnderbird) it is so simple and free.
Just download it, install it, personalize it to your convenience
(aspect, bookmarks..) and that's all.
For IE (Outlook), I don't know, I don't use it, too much complex.

There surely is a way to attach a document, if not, send it to me at
look165_at_numericable.fr

stevwolf58_at_gmail.com a écrit le 27/12/2018 à 22:35 :
Quote:
Actually of the first component there are 6 of them, then two of the second.
I would send picture but I dont know how to put pictures on this news group.

I put Ohm meter on them.

The first components all show the same Ohms.
eg set Meter to 200M then put the (-) on the end that has the /\/\ on it and (+) on the other end it shows 2.1 Mega ohm. This is true for all 6 components. My guess is that what ever they are they are all showing the same, which to me means they are all good my guess anyway.

On the other component I do the same thing and it shows 5.0. Mega ohm on both. Again this probably indicates that they are both good. Although I know this method is not the best, but just some hillbilly logic.


Rheilly Phoull
Guest

Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:45 pm   



On 28/12/2018 6:20 am, stevwolf58_at_gmail.com wrote:
Quote:
Well as far as it goes all this components only work as I described above I cannot get and Ohms the other way around. I have moved my meter from 200 to 200M. Nothing.

Hmm, well you might be punching above your weight with this one.


elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronic for beginners - component identification please

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic version Bulgarian version Catalan version Czech version Danish version German version Greek version English version Spanish version Finnish version French version Hindi version Croatian version Indonesian version Italian version Hebrew version Japanese version Korean version Lithuanian version Latvian version Dutch version Norwegian version Polish version Portuguese version Romanian version Russian version Slovak version Slovenian version Serbian version Swedish version Tagalog version Ukrainian version Vietnamese version Chinese version Turkish version
EDAboard.com map