EDAboard.com | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | WTWH Media

bluetooth in-situ meat thermometer, has +275 degree C range!

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronics Design - bluetooth in-situ meat thermometer, has +275 degree C range!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

John Larkin
Guest

Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:45 pm   



On 28 Dec 2018 04:01:58 -0800, Winfield Hill
<hill_at_rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:

Quote:
https://www.indiegogo.com/products/meater-wireless-smart-meat-thermometer

RF telemetry to a wood storage/charging block, bluetooth from there to an app on
your phone. But wait, electronics running at 275 deg C !?? OK, there's a
secret. A great product idea, excellent implementation, I just ordered one for
$99.


They could make the probe a solid metal rod, and attach the PCB to the
outside end. The board would be cooled by conduction into the DUR, the
Device Under Roasting.


--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Tom Del Rosso
Guest

Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:45 pm   



Winfield Hill wrote:
Quote:
https://www.indiegogo.com/products/meater-wireless-smart-meat-thermometer

RF telemetry to a wood storage/charging block, bluetooth from there
to an app on your phone. But wait, electronics running at 275 deg C
!?? OK, there's a secret. A great product idea, excellent
implementation, I just ordered one for $99.


How do you know how they implemented it, if you haven't taken it apart
yet?

Tim Watts
Guest

Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:45 am   



On 28/12/2018 12:01, Winfield Hill wrote:
Quote:
https://www.indiegogo.com/products/meater-wireless-smart-meat-thermometer

RF telemetry to a wood storage/charging block, bluetooth from there to an app on
your phone. But wait, electronics running at 275 deg C !?? OK, there's a
secret. A great product idea, excellent implementation, I just ordered one for
$99.



Read up a bit more - I wonder how well it works in a combi microwave
cooker, given the shielding necessary for microwaves is effective in the
same frequency band as bluetooth?

--
Email does not work

Lasse Langwadt Christense
Guest

Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:45 am   



lørdag den 29. december 2018 kl. 18.35.28 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:
Quote:
On 28 Dec 2018 04:01:58 -0800, Winfield Hill
hill_at_rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:

https://www.indiegogo.com/products/meater-wireless-smart-meat-thermometer

RF telemetry to a wood storage/charging block, bluetooth from there to an app on
your phone. But wait, electronics running at 275 deg C !?? OK, there's a
secret. A great product idea, excellent implementation, I just ordered one for
$99.

They could make the probe a solid metal rod, and attach the PCB to the
outside end. The board would be cooled by conduction into the DUR, the
Device Under Roasting.


but then what will you be measuring?


Guest

Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:45 am   



On Saturday, 29 December 2018 23:06:01 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

Quote:
Read up a bit more - I wonder how well it works in a combi microwave
cooker, given the shielding necessary for microwaves is effective in the
same frequency band as bluetooth?


If microwave heating was active, the BT receiver would almost
certainly be destroyed - and probably the transmitter as well.

The shielding would as you suggest make it difficult to
communicate even if the microwave heating was off.

The attenuation of the oven shielding is probably in the region
of 60-70dB, so it would probably just about work if the phone
or other BT device is close to the oven.

John

John Larkin
Guest

Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:45 am   



On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 15:20:34 -0800 (PST), Lasse Langwadt Christensen
<langwadt_at_fonz.dk> wrote:

Quote:
lørdag den 29. december 2018 kl. 18.35.28 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:
On 28 Dec 2018 04:01:58 -0800, Winfield Hill
hill_at_rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:

https://www.indiegogo.com/products/meater-wireless-smart-meat-thermometer

RF telemetry to a wood storage/charging block, bluetooth from there to an app on
your phone. But wait, electronics running at 275 deg C !?? OK, there's a
secret. A great product idea, excellent implementation, I just ordered one for
$99.

They could make the probe a solid metal rod, and attach the PCB to the
outside end. The board would be cooled by conduction into the DUR, the
Device Under Roasting.


but then what will you be measuring?


The temp of the probe of course.


--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

Tim Watts
Guest

Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:45 am   



On 29/12/2018 23:43, jrwalliker_at_gmail.com wrote:
Quote:
On Saturday, 29 December 2018 23:06:01 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

Read up a bit more - I wonder how well it works in a combi microwave
cooker, given the shielding necessary for microwaves is effective in the
same frequency band as bluetooth?

If microwave heating was active, the BT receiver would almost
certainly be destroyed - and probably the transmitter as well.


Yes - that could happen in combined mode.

I was thinking in the case where the combi is used in pure heat mode (as
I do - don't have a full sized cooker right now)

Quote:

The shielding would as you suggest make it difficult to
communicate even if the microwave heating was off.

The attenuation of the oven shielding is probably in the region
of 60-70dB, so it would probably just about work if the phone
or other BT device is close to the oven.


I could test this safely - just thought of a way. If I pop my phone in
and shut the door (with oven cold and off) and see how it affects
bluetooth audio to my phones...

Be an interesting experiment.


--
Email does not work

boB
Guest

Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:45 am   



On 28 Dec 2018 04:01:58 -0800, Winfield Hill
<hill_at_rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:

Quote:
https://www.indiegogo.com/products/meater-wireless-smart-meat-thermometer

RF telemetry to a wood storage/charging block, bluetooth from there to an app on
your phone. But wait, electronics running at 275 deg C !?? OK, there's a
secret. A great product idea, excellent implementation, I just ordered one for
$99.


Love the name Meater

The secret might be in their patent ? Haven't looked at it yet but...

https://meater.com/patents

Jeff Liebermann
Guest

Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:45 pm   



On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 23:18:57 -0800, boB <boB_at_K7IQ.com> wrote:

Quote:
On 28 Dec 2018 04:01:58 -0800, Winfield Hill
hill_at_rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:

https://www.indiegogo.com/products/meater-wireless-smart-meat-thermometer

RF telemetry to a wood storage/charging block, bluetooth from there to an app on
your phone. But wait, electronics running at 275 deg C !?? OK, there's a
secret. A great product idea, excellent implementation, I just ordered one for
$99.

Love the name Meater

The secret might be in their patent ? Haven't looked at it yet but...

https://meater.com/patents


Thanks. That should help.

<https://patents.google.com/patent/US10024736B2/en?oq=10024736>
<http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&docid=10024736>

As shown in FIG. 10D, the battery 232 is positioned near
the tip portion 212 to allow the food to insulate the
battery 232 from high temperatures. One of the advantages
of this arrangement is utilizing the battery structure
and positioning it in a manner to allow the battery to
operate despite high temperatures in a cooking vessel
that may otherwise degrade performance. Traditional
electrolyte batteries for thermometers as known in the
art may fail to operate under high temperature conditions
due to a lack of high temperature tolerance and/or high
temperature insulation. Due to the insulation provided
by the food 108, the battery 232 can ordinarily have
a lower operating temperature limit corresponding to a
maximum food cooking temperature plus a factor of safety
(e.g., 100° C. for meat).

In addition, the battery 232 in some implementations can
include a solid-state battery that tolerates a relatively
higher temperature, such as a thin film lithium battery
that can tolerate up to 170° C. before performance degrades.
In such an implementation, the battery 232 would also not
include volatile solvents or liquid state chemicals that
may further eliminate potential food safety concerns.

Fig 10D does not show battery 232. The tip 212 appears on the first
drawing and Fig 10A, but not on Fig 10D.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_film_lithium-ion_battery>
Thin film lithium ion batteries have been shown to
withstand temperatures of -40 to 150 °C
The major vendor of thin film lithium cells, Infinite Power Solutions,
received $34.7 million in funding in 2006,
<http://www.appliedmaterials.com/sites/default/files/IPS_Raises_34.7M_9-6-06.pdf>
but seems to be out of the battery biz as their old domain is for sale
and the new one is listed as "coming soon" and possibly a different
business:
<https://www.infinitepowersolutions.com>

No clue what type of "solid-state battery" might be involved.



--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl_at_cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Goto page Previous  1, 2

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronics Design - bluetooth in-situ meat thermometer, has +275 degree C range!

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic version Bulgarian version Catalan version Czech version Danish version German version Greek version English version Spanish version Finnish version French version Hindi version Croatian version Indonesian version Italian version Hebrew version Japanese version Korean version Lithuanian version Latvian version Dutch version Norwegian version Polish version Portuguese version Romanian version Russian version Slovak version Slovenian version Serbian version Swedish version Tagalog version Ukrainian version Vietnamese version Chinese version Turkish version
EDAboard.com map