EDAboard.com | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | WTWH Media

Array of std_logic_vector

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - VHDL Language - Array of std_logic_vector

Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:45 pm   

type PACKET_REG_TYPE is array (0 to 127) of std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);

signal common_stream_header : std_logic_vector(63 downto 0);
signal stream_1_tx_int : PACKET_REG_TYPE;

stream_1_tx_int(3 to 10) <= common_stream_header; -- FAIL. Same number bits on each side??
Target type dut_lib.spis_sclk_pkg.PACKET_REG_TYPE in signal assignment is different from expression type ieee.std_logic_1164.STD_LOGIC_VECTOR.
(vcom-1272) Length of expected is 8; length of actual is 64.

stream_1_tx_int(3 to 4) <= common_stream_header(63 downto 4Cool; -- FAIL.
Target type dut_lib.spis_sclk_pkg.PACKET_REG_TYPE in signal assignment is different from expression type ieee.std_logic_1164.STD_LOGIC_VECTOR.
(vcom-1272) Length of expected is 2; length of slice name is 16.

stream_1_tx_int(3 to 4) <= PACKET_REG_TYPE(common_stream_header(63 downto 4Cool); -- FAIL.
(vcom-1583) Illegal type converson from 'ieee.std_logic_1164.STD_LOGIC_VECTOR' to 'dut_lib.spis_sclk_pkg.PACKET_REG_TYPE' (array element type difference).
(vcom-1272) Length of type "PACKET_REG_TYPE" is 1046; length of operand is 16.
(vcom-1272) Length of expected is 2; length of actual is 1046.

stream_1_tx_int(3 to 4) <= common_stream_header(63 downto 56) & common_stream_header(55 downto 4Cool; -- PASS.

I have an array of bytes as defined above. I want to make assignments to multiple array elements at a time but am having a lot of trouble. In the first example I try to assign a 64-bit signal to 8 elements of the array which ends up being 64-bits as well. It doesn’t work.

I can’t figure why none of the examples of array assignment work?? I even tried type casting. I finally got my code to compile with the last example but it makes coding cumbersome.

Is there a better way to do this. As a note, I tried the VHDL 2008 switch in Modelsim but it just started complaining about my (others => (others => ‘0’) assignments.

KJ

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:45 pm   

On Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 10:35:56 AM UTC-5, digita...@gmail.com >
> Is there a better way to do this. As a note, I tried the VHDL 2008 switch in Modelsim but it just started complaining about my (others => (others => ‘0’) assignments.

A better way to be to define PACKET_REG_TYPE a bit differently and then use it for common_stream_header like this:

type PACKET_REG_TYPE is array (natural range <>) of std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);
signal common_stream_header : PACKET_REG_TYPE(0 to 7);
signal stream_1_tx_int : PACKET_REG_TYPE(0 to 127);

Then you can assign like this:
stream_1_tx_int(3 to 10) <= common_stream_header;

Note a couple of things:
- The basic problem you have is thinking that a 64 entry array is equivalent to an 8x8 array, it's not.
- PACKET_REG_TYPE is now an unconstrained array. When you declare signals/variables of that type you need to supply the range as shown.
- The assignment of the particular 'bytes' of stream_1_tx_int is all done in one step.

Kevin Jennings

Rick C

Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:53 pm   

On Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 10:35:56 AM UTC-5, digita...@gmail.com wrote:
Quote:
type PACKET_REG_TYPE is array (0 to 127) of std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);

signal common_stream_header : std_logic_vector(63 downto 0);
signal stream_1_tx_int : PACKET_REG_TYPE;

stream_1_tx_int(3 to 10) <= common_stream_header; -- FAIL. Same number bits on each side??
(vcom-1272) Length of expected is 8; length of actual is 64.

stream_1_tx_int(3 to 4) <= common_stream_header(63 downto 4Cool; -- FAIL..
(vcom-1272) Length of expected is 2; length of slice name is 16.

stream_1_tx_int(3 to 4) <= PACKET_REG_TYPE(common_stream_header(63 downto 4Cool); -- FAIL.
(vcom-1583) Illegal type converson from 'ieee.std_logic_1164.STD_LOGIC_VECTOR' to 'dut_lib.spis_sclk_pkg.PACKET_REG_TYPE' (array element type difference).
(vcom-1272) Length of type "PACKET_REG_TYPE" is 1046; length of operand is 16.
(vcom-1272) Length of expected is 2; length of actual is 1046.

stream_1_tx_int(3 to 4) <= common_stream_header(63 downto 56) & common_stream_header(55 downto 4Cool; -- PASS.

I have an array of bytes as defined above. I want to make assignments to multiple array elements at a time but am having a lot of trouble. In the first example I try to assign a 64-bit signal to 8 elements of the array which ends up being 64-bits as well. It doesn’t work.

I can’t figure why none of the examples of array assignment work?? I even tried type casting. I finally got my code to compile with the last example but it makes coding cumbersome.

You could try defining a function that accepts as input the common_stream_header data type and returns the array slice you need. I assume you want to avoid the typing of four lines to do the assignment in multiple places. The function will encapsulate that.

> Is there a better way to do this. As a note, I tried the VHDL 2008 switch in Modelsim but it just started complaining about my (others => (others => ‘0’) assignments.

I would figure out what is going on with this. VHDL2008 doesn't break things that I know of.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:45 am   

Thank you for your reply. It is really helpful. From this I take it that since PACKET_REG_TYPE is specified as a byte then all assignments must be based on a byte.

I didn’t paste all of the code but there is another array of ADC data: type ADC_REG_TYPE is array (0 to 20) of std_logic_vector(31 downto 0). In order to assign this ADC data to my stream array I take it I would have to repackage it like: Signal adc_data : PACKET_REG_TYPE(0 to 83).

Then I could assign the whole thing at once:
stream_1_tx_int(11 to 94) <= adc_data;

Or

I could assign one channel as:
stream_1_tx_data(11 to 14) <= adc_data(0 to 3);

Thanks again for your help.

KJ

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:56 pm   

On Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 10:10:39 PM UTC-5, digita...@gmail.com wrote:

Quote:
I didn’t paste all of the code but there is another array of ADC data: type ADC_REG_TYPE is array (0 to 20) of std_logic_vector(31 downto 0). In order to assign this ADC data to my stream array I take it I would have to repackage it like: Signal adc_data : PACKET_REG_TYPE(0 to 83).

Then I could assign the whole thing at once:
stream_1_tx_int(11 to 94) <= adc_data;

Yes, but since ADC data is an array of 32 bit things, you would need to manually convert between 32 bit words and 8 bit ones. However, to do this conversion you could build on what you have.

type PACKET_REG_TYPE32 is array(natural range <>) of std_logic_vector(31 downto 0);

Then create a function that converts a 32 bit word into an array of four bytes. The declaration for this is shown below, you would write the body of the function.

function ToPacketRegType(Inp: std_logic_vector(31 downto 0)) return PACKET_REG_TYPE;

Then create a function that converts PACKET_REG_TYPE32 to PACKET_REG_TYPE by iterating and calling the function ToPacketRegType. Again, you would write the body of the function.

function ToPacketRegType(Inp: PACKET_REG_TYPE32) return PACKET_REG_TYPE;

Now that you have these to helper functions you can convert directly from your ADC data array like this

AdcDataPacketRegType <= ToPacketRegType(AdcData);

Alternatively, you would dispense with AdcDataPacketRegType and simply assign ToPacketRegType(AdcData) into the appropriate range in your packet.

Kevin Jennings

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - VHDL Language - Array of std_logic_vector

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic version Bulgarian version Catalan version Czech version Danish version German version Greek version English version Spanish version Finnish version French version Hindi version Croatian version Indonesian version Italian version Hebrew version Japanese version Korean version Lithuanian version Latvian version Dutch version Norwegian version Polish version Portuguese version Romanian version Russian version Slovak version Slovenian version Serbian version Swedish version Tagalog version Ukrainian version Vietnamese version Chinese version Turkish version
EDAboard.com map