EDAboard.com | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | WTWH Media

A nice component identifier machine

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronics Design - A nice component identifier machine

bitrex
Guest

Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:45 am   



ATMega328 8-bit uP driven, it does a lot of stuff!

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBM6gU8WZE4>

$15.50 with an enclosure on Amazon:

<https://www.amazon.com/Multifunction-transistor-Capacitor-Inductance-screwdriver/dp/B071Y5CHPK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548994891&sr=8-4&keywords=lcr-t4>

boB
Guest

Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:45 am   



On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 23:27:09 -0500, bitrex <user_at_example.net> wrote:

Quote:


I bought 3 of those boards on Ebay after EEVblog showed them. Works
pretty neat actually. I haven't used it since first playing with it.
Gave out 2 boards to the other engineers.

I'd lose the gloves though

Clive Arthur
Guest

Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:45 am   



On 01/02/2019 06:32, boB wrote:
Quote:
On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 23:27:09 -0500, bitrex <user_at_example.net> wrote:

ATMega328 8-bit uP driven, it does a lot of stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBM6gU8WZE4

$15.50 with an enclosure on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Multifunction-transistor-Capacitor-Inductance-screwdriver/dp/B071Y5CHPK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548994891&sr=8-4&keywords=lcr-t4


I bought 3 of those boards on Ebay after EEVblog showed them. Works
pretty neat actually. I haven't used it since first playing with it.
Gave out 2 boards to the other engineers.

I'd lose the gloves though

Yes, these are pretty good and cheap enough not to worry about losing.


Cheers
--
Clive

Mike
Guest

Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:45 pm   



On 1/31/2019 8:27 PM, bitrex wrote:
Quote:
ATMega328 8-bit uP driven, it does a lot of stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBM6gU8WZE4

$15.50 with an enclosure on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Multifunction-transistor-Capacitor-Inductance-screwdriver/dp/B071Y5CHPK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548994891&sr=8-4&keywords=lcr-t4

I bought a similar one and find it to be extremely useful.


What I wanted to do was to measure the ESR of a battery.
Tried everything I could think of to trick it into giving me
the answer without success.

There are MANY different ones on EBAY. Some hint at different
capabilities, but specs and details are absent.
What you get from an ebay supplier is a drop-shipment of whatever
is in stock at whatever source they use this week. Crap shoot.

Would be interesting to see a comparison of similar units
from stable vendors so you might expect to get the same model
that was reviewed.


Guest

Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:45 pm   



On Friday, 1 February 2019 11:09:01 UTC, Mike wrote:
Quote:
On 1/31/2019 8:27 PM, bitrex wrote:
ATMega328 8-bit uP driven, it does a lot of stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBM6gU8WZE4

$15.50 with an enclosure on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Multifunction-transistor-Capacitor-Inductance-screwdriver/dp/B071Y5CHPK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548994891&sr=8-4&keywords=lcr-t4

I bought a similar one and find it to be extremely useful.

What I wanted to do was to measure the ESR of a battery.
Tried everything I could think of to trick it into giving me
the answer without success.

There are MANY different ones on EBAY. Some hint at different
capabilities, but specs and details are absent.
What you get from an ebay supplier is a drop-shipment of whatever
is in stock at whatever source they use this week. Crap shoot.

Would be interesting to see a comparison of similar units
from stable vendors so you might expect to get the same model
that was reviewed.


They're very handy, but I've heard concern expressed about what they do to test transistors. Anyone checked what i, v it applies?


NT

speff
Guest

Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:45 pm   



On Friday, 1 February 2019 08:44:16 UTC-5, tabb...@gmail.com wrote:
Quote:
On Friday, 1 February 2019 11:09:01 UTC, Mike wrote:
On 1/31/2019 8:27 PM, bitrex wrote:
ATMega328 8-bit uP driven, it does a lot of stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBM6gU8WZE4

$15.50 with an enclosure on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Multifunction-transistor-Capacitor-Inductance-screwdriver/dp/B071Y5CHPK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548994891&sr=8-4&keywords=lcr-t4

I bought a similar one and find it to be extremely useful.

What I wanted to do was to measure the ESR of a battery.
Tried everything I could think of to trick it into giving me
the answer without success.

There are MANY different ones on EBAY. Some hint at different
capabilities, but specs and details are absent.
What you get from an ebay supplier is a drop-shipment of whatever
is in stock at whatever source they use this week. Crap shoot.

Would be interesting to see a comparison of similar units
from stable vendors so you might expect to get the same model
that was reviewed.

They're very handy, but I've heard concern expressed about what they do to test transistors. Anyone checked what i, v it applies?


NT


It's not much based on what it does to LEDs. I'd guess <= 5V at less than 10mA. I wouldn't connect something that could be damaged by that.

--Spehro Pefhany

Jasen Betts
Guest

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:45 pm   



On 2019-02-01, Mike <ham789_at_netscape.net> wrote:
Quote:
On 1/31/2019 8:27 PM, bitrex wrote:
ATMega328 8-bit uP driven, it does a lot of stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBM6gU8WZE4

$15.50 with an enclosure on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Multifunction-transistor-Capacitor-Inductance-screwdriver/dp/B071Y5CHPK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548994891&sr=8-4&keywords=lcr-t4

I bought a similar one and find it to be extremely useful.

What I wanted to do was to measure the ESR of a battery.
Tried everything I could think of to trick it into giving me
the answer without success.


maybe put the battery in series with a capacitor of known ESR?

--
When I tried casting out nines I made a hash of it.

Charlie+
Guest

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:45 am   



On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 03:08:56 -0800, Mike <ham789_at_netscape.net> wrote as
underneath :

Quote:
On 1/31/2019 8:27 PM, bitrex wrote:
ATMega328 8-bit uP driven, it does a lot of stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBM6gU8WZE4

$15.50 with an enclosure on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Multifunction-transistor-Capacitor-Inductance-screwdriver/dp/B071Y5CHPK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548994891&sr=8-4&keywords=lcr-t4

I bought a similar one and find it to be extremely useful.

What I wanted to do was to measure the ESR of a battery.
Tried everything I could think of to trick it into giving me
the answer without success.

There are MANY different ones on EBAY. Some hint at different
capabilities, but specs and details are absent.
What you get from an ebay supplier is a drop-shipment of whatever
is in stock at whatever source they use this week. Crap shoot.

Would be interesting to see a comparison of similar units
from stable vendors so you might expect to get the same model
that was reviewed.


You can use the Bob Parker ESR meter happily for cell ESR measurements /
matching. I dont know to what voltage this is safe up to but its fine
for LIthium cells. The meter uses high frequency measurement and is not
a multi purpose tool, also not ultra cheapo! C+

Mike
Guest

Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:45 am   



On 2/1/2019 11:22 AM, Jasen Betts wrote:
Quote:
On 2019-02-01, Mike <ham789_at_netscape.net> wrote:
On 1/31/2019 8:27 PM, bitrex wrote:
ATMega328 8-bit uP driven, it does a lot of stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBM6gU8WZE4

$15.50 with an enclosure on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Multifunction-transistor-Capacitor-Inductance-screwdriver/dp/B071Y5CHPK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548994891&sr=8-4&keywords=lcr-t4

I bought a similar one and find it to be extremely useful.

What I wanted to do was to measure the ESR of a battery.
Tried everything I could think of to trick it into giving me
the answer without success.

maybe put the battery in series with a capacitor of known ESR?

Didn't work with my meter.
Two cells series opposing to get zero volts didn't work either.

Mike
Guest

Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:45 am   



On 2/1/2019 7:21 AM, speff wrote:
Quote:
On Friday, 1 February 2019 08:44:16 UTC-5, tabb...@gmail.com wrote:
On Friday, 1 February 2019 11:09:01 UTC, Mike wrote:
On 1/31/2019 8:27 PM, bitrex wrote:
ATMega328 8-bit uP driven, it does a lot of stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBM6gU8WZE4

$15.50 with an enclosure on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Multifunction-transistor-Capacitor-Inductance-screwdriver/dp/B071Y5CHPK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548994891&sr=8-4&keywords=lcr-t4

I bought a similar one and find it to be extremely useful.

What I wanted to do was to measure the ESR of a battery.
Tried everything I could think of to trick it into giving me
the answer without success.

There are MANY different ones on EBAY. Some hint at different
capabilities, but specs and details are absent.
What you get from an ebay supplier is a drop-shipment of whatever
is in stock at whatever source they use this week. Crap shoot.

Would be interesting to see a comparison of similar units
from stable vendors so you might expect to get the same model
that was reviewed.

They're very handy, but I've heard concern expressed about what they do to test transistors. Anyone checked what i, v it applies?


NT

It's not much based on what it does to LEDs. I'd guess <= 5V at less than 10mA. I wouldn't connect something that could be damaged by that.

--Spehro Pefhany

I looked at it with a scope. It flips 5V backwards, forwards, sideways
to determine the device type.
I don't think I'd try it on a low noise microwave transistor.

Reinhard Zwirner
Guest

Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:45 pm   



tabbypurr_at_gmail.com schrieb:

[...]> They're very handy, but I've heard concern expressed about
what they do to test transistors. Anyone checked what i, v it applies?

I think all these testers are based on what can be found here:

<https://github.com/svn2github/transistortester/blob/master/Doku/tags/english/ttester_eng112k.pdf>

Click "Download".

You'll find a detailed description of circuit and functions.

HTH

Reinhard

speff
Guest

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:45 am   



On Sunday, 3 February 2019 08:23:20 UTC-5, Reinhard Zwirner wrote:
Quote:
tabbypurr_at_gmail.com schrieb:

[...]> They're very handy, but I've heard concern expressed about
what they do to test transistors. Anyone checked what i, v it applies?

I think all these testers are based on what can be found here:

https://github.com/svn2github/transistortester/blob/master/Doku/tags/english/ttester_eng112k.pdf

Click "Download".

You'll find a detailed description of circuit and functions.

HTH

Reinhard


Thanks, I figured it was based on some open-source design, but had not run
across the original source.

--Spehro Pefhany

bitrex
Guest

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:45 am   



On 01/31/2019 11:27 PM, bitrex wrote:
Quote:


I found that it also correctly identifies thyristors(!), though it's not
able to give you any specs on them can at least distinguish them from
transistors when they're in similar packages

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronics Design - A nice component identifier machine

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic version Bulgarian version Catalan version Czech version Danish version German version Greek version English version Spanish version Finnish version French version Hindi version Croatian version Indonesian version Italian version Hebrew version Japanese version Korean version Lithuanian version Latvian version Dutch version Norwegian version Polish version Portuguese version Romanian version Russian version Slovak version Slovenian version Serbian version Swedish version Tagalog version Ukrainian version Vietnamese version Chinese version Turkish version
EDAboard.com map