EDAboard.com | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | WTWH Media

99SE how to close the paste mask over a pad (fiducial)?

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - EDA CAD Electronics - 99SE how to close the paste mask over a pad (fiducial)?

DTJ
Guest

Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:55 am   



I can't for the life of me find how to close the *paste* mask over a pad
so the finished pad is not tinned during manufacture.

Checking the pad properties there is an (advanced) option for paste mask
"override". I've tried various values including negative values and it
seems to have no effect on the paste mask around the pad.

Any help please?

Thanks.

Jon Elson
Guest

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:01 am   



DTJ wrote:

Quote:


I can't for the life of me find how to close the *paste* mask over a pad
so the finished pad is not tinned during manufacture.

Checking the pad properties there is an (advanced) option for paste mask
"override". I've tried various values including negative values and it
seems to have no effect on the paste mask around the pad.

Any help please?

Hmm, strange! I thought I'd done this before, and if you set the
paste mask override to -50 on a 50 mil pad, you'd eliminate the
aperture. You would get a new aperture in the aperture list with
a zero width. Don't look at the main PCB on-screen display, this
will NOT show the override! You have to create Gerber files, import
them to a blank PCB and then view that in single layer mode. Only
then will you see the effect of either paste or solder mask overrides.

Jon

DTJ
Guest

Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:30 am   



On 03-Jul-14 6:01 AM, Jon Elson wrote:
Quote:
DTJ wrote:



I can't for the life of me find how to close the *paste* mask over a pad
so the finished pad is not tinned during manufacture.

Checking the pad properties there is an (advanced) option for paste mask
"override". I've tried various values including negative values and it
seems to have no effect on the paste mask around the pad.

Any help please?
Hmm, strange! I thought I'd done this before, and if you set the
paste mask override to -50 on a 50 mil pad, you'd eliminate the
aperture. You would get a new aperture in the aperture list with
a zero width. Don't look at the main PCB on-screen display, this
will NOT show the override! You have to create Gerber files, import
them to a blank PCB and then view that in single layer mode. Only
then will you see the effect of either paste or solder mask overrides.

Jon



Thanks Jon - you are right it does work but it does not indicate that
the mask has changed in the normal pcb view of the paste layer.

I generated prints of the layers and I could then see the paste aperture
disappear when the value was set to negative. Thanks for your help.

Jon Elson
Guest

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:11 am   



DTJ wrote:


Quote:
Thanks Jon - you are right it does work but it does not indicate that
the mask has changed in the normal pcb view of the paste layer.

I generated prints of the layers and I could then see the paste aperture
disappear when the value was set to negative. Thanks for your help.

There are several overrides available, for inner layers, solder mask,
solder stencil, etc. I don't think that ANY of them actually show
up on the main PCB view, but they all affect the Gerber output.
At least, they DO allow you to control the final output.

Jon

DTJ
Guest

Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:30 am   



On 10-Jul-14 4:11 AM, Jon Elson wrote:
Quote:
DTJ wrote:


Thanks Jon - you are right it does work but it does not indicate that
the mask has changed in the normal pcb view of the paste layer.

I generated prints of the layers and I could then see the paste aperture
disappear when the value was set to negative. Thanks for your help.
There are several overrides available, for inner layers, solder mask,
solder stencil, etc. I don't think that ANY of them actually show
up on the main PCB view, but they all affect the Gerber output.
At least, they DO allow you to control the final output.

Jon



Yep, I was disappointed it didn't show on the normal view but it seem to
be working and showing in the print views. Thanks.

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - EDA CAD Electronics - 99SE how to close the paste mask over a pad (fiducial)?

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic version Bulgarian version Catalan version Czech version Danish version German version Greek version English version Spanish version Finnish version French version Hindi version Croatian version Indonesian version Italian version Hebrew version Japanese version Korean version Lithuanian version Latvian version Dutch version Norwegian version Polish version Portuguese version Romanian version Russian version Slovak version Slovenian version Serbian version Swedish version Tagalog version Ukrainian version Vietnamese version Chinese version Turkish version
EDAboard.com map