EDAboard.com | EDAboard.de | EDAboard.co.uk | WTWH Media

30A wiring advice

Ask a question - edaboard.com

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronics - 30A wiring advice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

John Woodgate
Guest

Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:11 pm   



I read in sci.engr.electrical.compliance that PJx <me_at_privacy.net> wrote
(in <stkjuvgm2prd272b71q7983tjnd810p5l2_at_4ax.com>) about '30A wiring
advice', on Wed, 24 Dec 2003:
Quote:
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 15:17:23 GMT, "Ben Miller"
benmiller_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:

"Spudley" <antispam_at_bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:5LgGb.64183$aT.56575_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au...
Then use 4 wires in parallel and solder them together at the ends to
ensure this doesn't happen.

In the US, parallel conductors are not allowed in the smaller sizes, and
connections that depend on solder are not allowed for service conductors.
Also, if this was allowed, wouldn't it be a lot more material and labor than
just using a single wire of the correct size?

Ben Miller

I like the way you quote the source of your misinformation.

I would expect soldered connections in terminal blocks to be banned,
because the solder creeps under pressure and the clamping screws loosen.
Soldered connections are not allowed in Europe.
Quote:

Besides, this is posted in alt.home.repair, not engineering specs for
the space shuttle.

It's posted in four newsgroups, including sci.engr.electrical.compliance

, where people know about wiring codes.
Quote:


--
Regards, John Woodgate, OOO - Own Opinions Only. http://www.jmwa.demon.co.uk
Interested in professional sound reinforcement and distribution? Then go to
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!

Ben Miller
Guest

Thu Dec 25, 2003 1:53 am   



"PJx" <me_at_privacy.net> wrote in message
news:stkjuvgm2prd272b71q7983tjnd810p5l2_at_4ax.com...
Quote:
I like the way you quote the source of your misinformation.


National Electrical Code (2002):

230.81 Connection to Terminals.
The service conductors shall be connected to the service disconnecting means
by pressure connectors, clamps, or other approved means. Connections that
depend on solder shall not be used.

310.4 Conductors in Parallel.
Aluminum, copper-clad aluminum, or copper conductors of size 1/0 AWG and
larger, comprising each phase, neutral, or grounded circuit conductor, shall
be permitted to be connected in parallel (electrically joined at both ends
to form a single conductor).


Ben Miller
--
Benjamin D. Miller, PE
B. MILLER ENGINEERING
www.bmillerengineering.com

Andrew Gabriel
Guest

Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:30 pm   



In article <WuYw9tEebd6$EwkE_at_jmwa.demon.co.uk>,
John Woodgate <jmw_at_jmwa.demon.contraspam.yuk> writes:
Quote:

I would expect soldered connections in terminal blocks to be banned,
because the solder creeps under pressure and the clamping screws loosen.
Soldered connections are not allowed in Europe.

I agree with your comments about soldered connections in terminal blocks.
However, soldered (or crimped or brazed) connections are required in the
UK if the join will not be accessible for maintenance and inspection.

One way which is acceptable to do this is to use screw terminals, and
then also solder the conductors to the terminals. Solder creep is not
an issue in this case. However, most commonly, such connections are
done by crimping -- soldering is a skill which installation electricians
would rarely have.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Doug Miller
Guest

Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:05 pm   



In article <pukjuvcp3hfh4k6nu4bbn0lirkn29ovbie_at_4ax.com>, Texan <texasoilfinder_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

Quote:
Just for the techs who wonder why solder isn't allowed. When a
connection gets hot the solder would melt and create all kinds of
problems.. Solder has a much lower melt temp than copper. That's why
in higher load carrying circuits we use crimp or compression type
connectors.

Ummm, well, no, not exactly. It has more to do with solder's lack of

mechanical strength. The melting point of solder, while indeed well below that
of copper, is well *above* the temperature rating of any conductor insulation
that I've ever heard of -- IOW, the insulation would burn off of the conductor
*long* before it got hot enough to melt a soldered connection.


--
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)

How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?

John Woodgate
Guest

Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:05 pm   



I read in sci.engr.electrical.compliance that Doug Miller
<spambait_at_milmac.com> wrote (in <WEVHb.19442$P%1.18025049_at_newssvr28.news
..prodigy.com>) about '30A wiring advice', on Mon, 29 Dec 2003:

Quote:
How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss
America?

Almost all the people with the necessary qualities to be President have
too much sense to want the job. (Wink
--
Regards, John Woodgate, OOO - Own Opinions Only. http://www.jmwa.demon.co.uk
Interested in professional sound reinforcement and distribution? Then go to
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!

Doug Miller
Guest

Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:08 pm   



In article <dRtCikAQSD8$EwXd_at_jmwa.demon.co.uk>, John Woodgate <jmw_at_jmwa.demon.co.uk> wrote:
Quote:
I read in sci.engr.electrical.compliance that Doug Miller
spambait_at_milmac.com> wrote (in <WEVHb.19442$P%1.18025049_at_newssvr28.news
..prodigy.com>) about '30A wiring advice', on Mon, 29 Dec 2003:

How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss
America?

Almost all the people with the necessary qualities to be President have
too much sense to want the job. (Wink

Friend of mine is fond of saying that the mere fact that anyone wants the job
should be regarded as conclusive evidence of his lack of fitness for it.

--
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)

How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?

Frank Warner
Guest

Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:54 pm   



Doug Miller wrote:
Quote:

In article <dRtCikAQSD8$EwXd_at_jmwa.demon.co.uk>, John Woodgate <jmw_at_jmwa.demon.co.uk> wrote:
I read in sci.engr.electrical.compliance that Doug Miller
spambait_at_milmac.com> wrote (in <WEVHb.19442$P%1.18025049_at_newssvr28.news
..prodigy.com>) about '30A wiring advice', on Mon, 29 Dec 2003:

How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss
America?

Almost all the people with the necessary qualities to be President have
too much sense to want the job. (;-)

Friend of mine is fond of saying that the mere fact that anyone wants the job
should be regarded as conclusive evidence of his lack of fitness for it.

--
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)

How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?


Yes Minister Series
Quotes from the dialogue
"The argument that we must do everything a Minister demands because he
has been 'democratically chosen' does not stand up to close inspection.
MPs are not chosen by 'the people' - they are chosen by their local
constituency parties: thirty-five men in grubby raincoats or thirty-five
women in silly hats. The further 'selection' process is equally a
nonsense: there are only 630 MPs and a party with just over 300 MPs
forms a government and of these 300, 100 are too old and too silly to be
ministers and 100 too young and too callow. Therefore there are about
100 MPs to fill 100 government posts. Effectively no choice at all."

Don Phillips
Guest

Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:55 am   



"Doug Miller" <spambait_at_milmac.com> wrote in message
news:WEVHb.19442$P%1.18025049_at_newssvr28.news.prodigy.com...
Quote:
In article <pukjuvcp3hfh4k6nu4bbn0lirkn29ovbie_at_4ax.com>, Texan
texasoilfinder_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for
Miss America?


If you vote in the primary, you get to vote for more than two people.


Sincerely,


Donald L. Phillips, Jr., P.E.
Worthington Engineering, Inc.
145 Greenglade Avenue
Worthington, OH 43085-2264

dphillips_at_worthingtonNSengineering.com
(remove NS to use the address)
614.937.0463 voice
208.975.1011 fax

http://worthingtonengineering.com

Spudley
Guest

Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:33 am   



What has this got to do with the SUBJECT"30A wiring advice" ?


"Frank Warner" <fwarner_au_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:3FF1F402.51FC569F_at_yahoo.com.au...
Quote:


Doug Miller wrote:

In article <dRtCikAQSD8$EwXd_at_jmwa.demon.co.uk>, John Woodgate
jmw_at_jmwa.demon.co.uk> wrote:
I read in sci.engr.electrical.compliance that Doug Miller
spambait_at_milmac.com> wrote (in
WEVHb.19442$P%1.18025049_at_newssvr28.news
..prodigy.com>) about '30A wiring advice', on Mon, 29 Dec 2003:

How come we choose from just two people to run for president and
50 for Miss
America?

Almost all the people with the necessary qualities to be
President have
too much sense to want the job. (;-)

Friend of mine is fond of saying that the mere fact that anyone
wants the job
should be regarded as conclusive evidence of his lack of fitness
for it.

--
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)

How come we choose from just two people to run for president and
50 for Miss America?


Yes Minister Series
Quotes from the dialogue
"The argument that we must do everything a Minister demands because
he
has been 'democratically chosen' does not stand up to close
inspection.
MPs are not chosen by 'the people' - they are chosen by their local
constituency parties: thirty-five men in grubby raincoats or
thirty-five
women in silly hats. The further 'selection' process is equally a
nonsense: there are only 630 MPs and a party with just over 300 MPs
forms a government and of these 300, 100 are too old and too silly
to be
ministers and 100 too young and too callow. Therefore there are
about
100 MPs to fill 100 government posts. Effectively no choice at all."


Albert
Guest

Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:45 pm   



replying to John Woodgate, Albert wrote:
John, THANK you for yr Comments.
can you tell me when cable ratings are calulaged for say 10mm2 twin and earth
do they apply to the WHOLE cable, or just per single Conductor? If at all poss
please Emil your reply.
Many many thanks.
albert

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/30a-wiring-advice-478049-.htm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

elektroda.net NewsGroups Forum Index - Electronics - 30A wiring advice

Ask a question - edaboard.com

Arabic version Bulgarian version Catalan version Czech version Danish version German version Greek version English version Spanish version Finnish version French version Hindi version Croatian version Indonesian version Italian version Hebrew version Japanese version Korean version Lithuanian version Latvian version Dutch version Norwegian version Polish version Portuguese version Romanian version Russian version Slovak version Slovenian version Serbian version Swedish version Tagalog version Ukrainian version Vietnamese version Chinese version Turkish version
EDAboard.com map